My quick thoughts on the Lakers. What say you
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: My quick thoughts on the Lakers. What say you

Draft Lonzo Ball if we get a top 3 pick. The kid is long, athletic, intelligent, and has a quiet confidence that can be nurtured in the right environment. He's a little timid but that's something he can grow out of in the weight room, great mentorship from magic, and by gaining experience.

I imagine this team having the possibility of being a mix between a Jason Kidd Nets team and the current GS warriors if everything goes right in the draft and free agency. I know that's a lot to expect but I hope it happens...so here's my perfect scenario:

Lonzo Ball would be our Jason Kidd. If he comes close, that will be great. Stay with me, now.

Clarkson (if we keep him) would be our new age Kerry Kittles. I like Clarkson because he's 6'5, quick, and as his 3pt shot keeps improving, would be a nice combo guard who can knock down shots and score a bit when needed. He would idea along side the pass first Lonzo Ball who at times isn't as aggressive scoring the ball (I imagine) early in his career.

Paul George (if we obtain him) would be our KD lite. I would be willing to trade everyone on this roster except Julius Randall (I would try really hard to keep Larry Nance as well) to acquire another All-star like Paul George or whoever else might be available at that level of talent.

Julius Randall (a keeper) is that D.Green new -age PF that can pass, defend, rebound, and shoot. In today's quicker pace league, he's an absolute keeper. I would not give him up in a trade for Paul George. That's how much I believe in him. There's a reason Magic likes him so much.

Timofey Mozgov - would keep him if I have to. I would ship him out if it's a requirement for Paul George or any other allstar or superstar.

Bench:

Larry Nance
David Nwaba
Zubac
Deng* (if Mozgov is the one sent off)

Odd Men Out:

D. Russell - IMO he does not have a skill set or physical advantage that elevates his game to a level that will translate to allstar level. Plus, he's already shown signs of being injury prone and I think he has weak legs and knees. I would move him for Paul or the chance at another allstar/boreline superstar in a heartbeat.

B. Ingram - He's lanky and definitely has an athletic advantage but nothing about his skill set screams star to me...similar to Russell. However, that's not even the biggest issue I have with Brandon. The eye test tells me that he's more of a lifestyle guy than someone who wants to be great at basketball. Brandon Ingram is a project player similar to K. Leonard of the Spurs. He has the physical tools to be a very good player but In order to build himself into a star he needs will and the mindset of a Leonard. That's the difference. My eye test tells me the guy is way too laid back and interested in a lifestyle (the tattoos, the artwork) and I do not see a guy fully committed to be being great at basketball. He's not a natural scorer or shooter like a KD that will just eventually become great. He's a kid with some physical attribute that can be molded into something very good to great but the million dollar question is, does he have the mindset, discipline, and will power to become that guy?

My eye test tells me he does not. If Paul George(or another player of caliber) were available and I had to move him, I would. I do not think B.Igram will ever be that type of player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

Kitties was an intelligent player who played within his role. Jc is not that.

And you want to dump our two best young players and put all your hopes in a 19 year old who we don't know if we will draft?

Um no.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

BI is untouchable. Pass.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

This would be pretty close to a worst case scenario for me.
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject:

I already imagine the drama with his father.

"Kobe was a noob, my son is much better"
"I want 200m/10 contract, or we walk"
"I should be GM"
"Lakers not only got my son cheap, they also got me!"
"Make me GM, or we walk"
"Lakers FO is racist"
"My son must stay in court till he gets a triple double"
"Hire a new coach or we walk"
"Lakers must associate with my shoes company, or we walk"

etc, etc, etc.

Lakers will be lively again!
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

I actually see the opposite in BI. For a 19 year old kid he shows a lot of discipline.

I would love to have Paul George here when he is a free agent. If we have to gut out our young core to get George then no thanks.

Oh and Fultz over Lonzo for me.

Last edited by aprevo15 on Wed May 10, 2017 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And you want to dump our two best young players and put all your hopes in a 19 year old who we don't know if we will draft?

Um no.

JC has matured very nicely since he first got here. I remember when he came out of the D-League and was out of control on the NBA court. However, as he has gained experience, he is much more under control now. Plus, as this team develops a pass first culture, he'll fit in and play his role. I do not view him as a selfish player by any means.

Like I said, this would be my best case scenario. I do not think much of Brandon Ingram or Russell. They simply do not have that "it" factor that most great players have and they do not meet the eye test. And for the record, the best player on the Lakers is Julius Randall. Ask Magic Johnson. Randall has all the tools and the intangibles (toughness, work ethic) to be a big piece of the puzzle down the line.

I do not see Brandon and Russell as our two best players and I have just as much belief (at this point) in Lonzo Ball as I do in those two. To me, there is nothing either of them did in college that L.Ball cannot do on the court..and to be completely honest, Ball has an athletic advantage over Russell and overall a better skill set to me. To me he is a better natural passer, driver to the basket, better athlete, and more natural leader. Russell is like 1-2 years removed from college and there's no doubt in my mind that Lonzo can come in and do everything he is doing now and more.

Last edited by fusuyballer on Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

The eye test tells me that he's more of a lifestyle guy than someone who wants to be great at basketball.

Lol...wow how bad is your vision?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Um no.

JC has matured very nicely since he first got here. I remember when he came out of the D-League and was out of control on the NBA court. However, as he has gained experience, he is much more under control now. Plus, as this team develops a pass first culture, he'll fit in and play his role. I do not view him as a selfish player by any means.

Like I said, this would be my best case scenario. I do not think much of Brandon Ingram or Russell. They simply do not have that "it" factor that most great players have and they do not meet the eye test. And for the record, the best player on the Lakers is Julius Randall. Ask Magic Johnson. Randall has all the tools and the intangibles (toughness, work ethic) to be a big piece of the puzzle down the line.

I do not see Brandon and Russell as our two best players and I have just as much belief (at this point) in Lonzo Ball as I do in those two. To me, there is nothing either of them did in college that L.Ball cannot do on the court..and to be completely honest, Ball has an athletic advantage over Russell and overall a better skill set to me. To me he is a better natural passer, driver to the basket, better athlete, and more natural leader. Russell is like 1-2 years removed from college and there's no doubt in my mind that Lonzo can come in and do everything he is doing now and more.

I know I sound like Lavar Ball, just saying...D.Russell and B.Igram aren't clear cut talents like R.Westbrook or Durant...these are guys that several guys in 2017 draft could easily surpass rather quickly.

I know a lot guys here think highly of these guys, but like I said, I trust my eye and I think Magic feels the same way and he's one of the best to ever do it. Think about it, why did Magic say everyone can be had but still was very big on Randall? I think it's because he's seeing the same thing I see.

Wow. You think JC is more under control now? Yikes.

Not sure why your plan includes something that is currently out of our hands (top 2 pick). If anything, this is way too premature to building your foundation on something that hasn't happened yet.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

I don't share your thoughts at all.

Ball is a good kid and I really like watching him, but I believe Fultz is a better prospect.

Julius and JC are the first young guns I'm packaging on a trade.

Ingram skillset is not screaming star, but all his weaknesses are correctable and since he is regarded as a hard worker he is the last asset I would move and the one I believe has a shot at the stardom.

It was reported that our former front office was the only one in the entire NBA to go into free agent without a clue about where the top free agents were inclined to go. Considering Pelinka relationships around the league I believe it may not be the case anymore and if we get signals that someone like Hayward or Curry is willing to come if we can bring help then I'm going after PG13 with a package around Russell/Randle/Houston pick or 2nd-3nd pick/Julius/Houston pick.

Last edited by nash on Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

Pass

If you were going to create a thread, at least post facts and stats and not just the "eye test".
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

BI to me is untouchable. Like aprevo said, for a 19 yo, he shows some maturity. I think he's our best youngin. Im willing to trade a combination of everyone else (not everybody total) for PG. I'm willing to let go of Randle if given the right price for PG. Nance to me is a suitable PF starter. Just needs some run time at that role. I would draft in this order:

1. Fultz
2. J Jackson
3. J Taytum
4. Who cares
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
The eye test tells me that he's more of a lifestyle guy than someone who wants to be great at basketball.

I hope I am wrong. I like the kid. He just looks a little aloof and he has raw skills and athleticism, I wonder if the personality + aloofness will translate into actually great player one day.

I am highly skeptical.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

I very much agree that we need to trade for George, or some other player of similar talent level

Not sold on ball at all though, and would like to keep Ingram.

Next season is going to be the one where we will see whether Randle is a keeper or not. I'm definitely hoping he is
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

I hope I am wrong. I like the kid. He just looks a little aloof and he has raw skills and athleticism, I wonder if the personality + aloofness will translate into actually great player one day.

I am highly skeptical.

Based on the guys you consider foundational players, your "eye test" seems to favor the flashy and quick twitch guys while eschewing the cerebral and non-athleticism/skill-based guys in DLO/Ingram. Your comments about JC are pretty telling of this.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Ball is nothing special, specially with his dad being obnoxious
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

I've never disagreed so much with a post.

Draft Ball over Fultz? Keep Randle and Clarkson over Russell and Ingram? Trade our most promising assets for PG? Randle is a P{F who can shoot and defend?

I need to vomit.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

I am highly skeptical.

Haha didnt mean to be rude. I think he just has a calm and kind of easy going demeanor..so I can see where you're coming from.

But read up on him at Duke and at Kingston. I think if you read on his background and the neighborhood he came from, you will see that he is highly motivated and wants to be great.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

the 2 best assets are the "odd men out" lol
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

Eye test for the win!
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

I really like Ball, but man is his father obnoxious. I'm sure Magic would shut him up. I say pick up Jackson and have him and BI on the wings. Solid defensive wings right there.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
BI to me is untouchable. Like aprevo said, for a 19 yo, he shows some maturity. I think he's our best youngin. Im willing to trade a combination of everyone else (not everybody total) for PG. I'm willing to let go of Randle if given the right price for PG. Nance to me is a suitable PF starter. Just needs some run time at that role. I would draft in this order:

1. Fultz
2. J Jackson
3. J Taytum
4. Who cares

Yeah, the OP has it pretty much backwards IMO. I would be willing to get rid of Randle and JC because those are the two lowest BBIQ players on the team, but I want to keep BI, DLO, ZU and Nance for sure. I think that Nance could start over Randle and have a more positive +/- due to his high BballIQ and defense.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Yep same here.

Also - If we get Ball I just hope Lonzo's dad holds off on getting an LG account.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Yuck. It's difficult to imagine that you're serious about that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: