My quick thoughts on the Lakers. What say you
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he will be given the responsibility of initiating the offense as he had for half of this past season.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
I actually see the opposite in BI. For a 19 year old kid he shows a lot of discipline.

I would love to have Paul George here when he is a free agent. If we have to gut out our young core to get George then no thanks.

Oh and Fultz over Lonzo for me.

I see Ingram being a 16/5/2 with good but not great defense on a contending team. Definitely worth having.

VLF- this is your max ceiling for BI or his stats next season?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
I actually see the opposite in BI. For a 19 year old kid he shows a lot of discipline.

I would love to have Paul George here when he is a free agent. If we have to gut out our young core to get George then no thanks.

I see Ingram being a 16/5/2 with good but not great defense on a contending team. Definitely worth having.

VLF- this is your max ceiling for BI or his stats next season?

He told it is his ceiling.

I don't agree since he has improved all season long and was posting almost those same numbers at the end of the season.

It is tough to predict what kind of numbers Ingram is going to put in his prime because it is clear that he still has to fill his body so he has room to improve just on by a physical standpoint.

I have faith in this kid, he has a long way to go, but I don't see any red flag that can't improve with hard work and good tutelage.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Ball, given his dad, is looking like a big time distraction. If we get and keep the pick I'd like to see a player that adds to e synergy of the team rather than the contrary. Now that his dad is gloating like he really wants attention now, I'm not to sure Lonzo is a good call...
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Lavar Ball is trying to soak in all the fame he could never achieve as an NBA player. Let your kids own it man.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I dare say I understand your posting style and hidden motivations. For example, when you were so opposed to Zubac getting more minutes. It was your way of saying we need Mozgov, and it wasn't that bad of a signing.

Your low expectations of BI is due to the fact that you're pro PG13 trade. And I think you'd give him up in such a trade.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Low expectations? We should be thrilled if we get the kind of production from Ingram if we are a contending team.
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

thank the lord almighty that you are nowhere near the lakers' front office. oh, and it's RANDLE. step your game up, kiddo.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
TDRock wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
This would be pretty close to a worst case scenario for me.

Yep same here.

Also - If we get Ball I just hope Lonzo's dad holds off on getting an LG account.

Judging by this thread, he already has!
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I'd like to think BI could improve on that average a bit in a contending situation - maybe 18/5/4.

I like the kid, but I'm not sure he'll be the star many here want him to be. I think he'll be an above average starter on a good team.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Low expectations? We should be thrilled if we get the kind of production from Ingram if we are a contending team.

This guy who is 19,younger then 90% of next years draft, the second youngest player in the league, known for being underdeveloped, started off really slow in both college and NBA, played for a team where no one really took defensive attention off of him (I'm talking post ASB) and still managed to average 13/4/3 on 47% despite not being able to make a jumpshot and barely get free points from FTs. And you think he's going to peak at 15/5/2. Meaning, he's already averaged his career high in assists, he's 1 rebound away from his peak rebounding season, and he's barely going to make improvements as a shooter or scorer.

and on top of that, you actually say "we should be thrilled". Hell no we shouldn't be thrilled that our 2nd overall pick has 80% peaked during his rookie season and ended up being a role player. I could actually understand if this is your prediction but to say "we should be thrilled" is BS.

Safe to say, I'm bookmarking this thread because I'm confident that this is going to look really stupid halfway through his sophomore season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

irielight wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I'd like to think BI could improve on that average a bit in a contending situation - maybe 18/5/4.

I like the kid, but I'm not sure he'll be the star many here want him to be. I think he'll be an above average starter on a good team.

That would be great numbers on a contender.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

This guy who is 19,younger then 90% of next years draft, the second youngest player in the league, known for being underdeveloped, started off really slow in both college and NBA, played for a team where no one really took defensive attention off of him (I'm talking post ASB) and still managed to average 13/4/3 on 47% despite not being able to make a jumpshot and barely get free points from FTs. And you think he's going to peak at 15/5/2. Meaning, he's already averaged his career high in assists, he's 1 rebound away from his peak rebounding season, and he's barely going to make improvements as a shooter or scorer.

and on top of that, you actually say "we should be thrilled". Hell no we shouldn't be thrilled that our 2nd overall pick has 80% peaked during his rookie season and ended up being a role player. I could actually understand if this is your prediction but to say "we should be thrilled" is BS.

Safe to say, I'm bookmarking this thread because I'm confident that this is going to look really stupid halfway through his sophomore season.

I am sure you are, you overrate all our young players. And you expect the team to be contenders halfway through his sophomore season?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
TDRock wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
This would be pretty close to a worst case scenario for me.

Yep same here.

Also - If we get Ball I just hope Lonzo's dad holds off on getting an LG account.

Judging by this thread, he already has!

You read my mind markjay.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

I can see drafting Fultz, if he is available at our draft position. Then we would slide Russell to the SG/combo and I think he will flourish there, Russell, not Clarkson would make a good Kerry Kittles, IMO. Clarkson is either the 6th man spark plug or part of offseason trade to a team needing a young shooter.

We make the PG13 deal if possible, and my preferred route is to give them Randle, Clarkson, (or Black and Brewer if they want the expiring's) and the #28 pick. I don't see the growth in Randle and if it was between trading Russell or Randle, I'd prefer trading Randle.

Fultz
Russell
PG13
Deng/Nance
Mozgov/Zubac

It's a work in progress, but that probably brings us back a mid-30 win team going into the following year.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I am sure you are, you overrate all our young players. And you expect the team to be contenders halfway through his sophomore season?

I do overrate all of our young players, that's just how I am by nature. I don't expect us to be contenders next season I just think you're really underselling Ingram. I'm fine with us fighting for the 8th seed next season and having a shot at making it which I feel we will.

You could end up being right, but I'm just really confident in Ingram. We have different ideas of how to build a contending team, so let's just agree to disagree.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

I will be honest, I overrate them too. But I have learned to filter that. I hope Ingram is better than I have assumed, but if he performs as I expect he will be an asset to our team.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

This is pretty much the opposite of what I would do. Draymond Green is valuable because of his defensive ability, of which Randle has none. The best thing about Randle is his ability to handle the ball and to a lesser degree, pass the ball. He can not shoot well enough to be a stretch four and he puts his head down when he drives to the basket. Not to mention he can't go right at all.

Randle is the first young player/asset I would try to get rid of. He becomes a free agent in 2018, which is earlier than our other young players.

I think Russell has the most upside from our young players (only slightly ahead of Ingram). I believe Russell needs to be moved to SG. I would also like it if he was given more opportunities in the post against smaller defenders.

Ingram needs to improve his free throw shooting but showed overall improvement towards the end of the season. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My quick thoughts on the Lakers. What say you

fusuyballer wrote:
Draft Lonzo Ball if we get a top 3 pick. The kid is long, athletic, intelligent, and has a quiet confidence that can be nurtured in the right environment. He's a little timid but that's something he can grow out of in the weight room, great mentorship from magic, and by gaining experience.

I imagine this team having the possibility of being a mix between a Jason Kidd Nets team and the current GS warriors if everything goes right in the draft and free agency. I know that's a lot to expect but I hope it happens...so here's my perfect scenario:

Lonzo Ball would be our Jason Kidd. If he comes close, that will be great. Stay with me, now.

Clarkson (if we keep him) would be our new age Kerry Kittles. I like Clarkson because he's 6'5, quick, and as his 3pt shot keeps improving, would be a nice combo guard who can knock down shots and score a bit when needed. He would idea along side the pass first Lonzo Ball who at times isn't as aggressive scoring the ball (I imagine) early in his career.

Paul George (if we obtain him) would be our KD lite. I would be willing to trade everyone on this roster except Julius Randall (I would try really hard to keep Larry Nance as well) to acquire another All-star like Paul George or whoever else might be available at that level of talent.

Julius Randall (a keeper) is that D.Green new -age PF that can pass, defend, rebound, and shoot. In today's quicker pace league, he's an absolute keeper. I would not give him up in a trade for Paul George. That's how much I believe in him. There's a reason Magic likes him so much.

Timofey Mozgov - would keep him if I have to. I would ship him out if it's a requirement for Paul George or any other allstar or superstar.

Bench:

Larry Nance
David Nwaba
Zubac
Deng* (if Mozgov is the one sent off)

Odd Men Out:

D. Russell - IMO he does not have a skill set or physical advantage that elevates his game to a level that will translate to allstar level. Plus, he's already shown signs of being injury prone and I think he has weak legs and knees. I would move him for Paul or the chance at another allstar/boreline superstar in a heartbeat.

B. Ingram - He's lanky and definitely has an athletic advantage but nothing about his skill set screams star to me...similar to Russell. However, that's not even the biggest issue I have with Brandon. The eye test tells me that he's more of a lifestyle guy than someone who wants to be great at basketball. Brandon Ingram is a project player similar to K. Leonard of the Spurs. He has the physical tools to be a very good player but In order to build himself into a star he needs will and the mindset of a Leonard. That's the difference. My eye test tells me the guy is way too laid back and interested in a lifestyle (the tattoos, the artwork) and I do not see a guy fully committed to be being great at basketball. He's not a natural scorer or shooter like a KD that will just eventually become great. He's a kid with some physical attribute that can be molded into something very good to great but the million dollar question is, does he have the mindset, discipline, and will power to become that guy?

My eye test tells me he does not. If Paul George(or another player of caliber) were available and I had to move him, I would. I do not think B.Igram will ever be that type of player.

Ingram will be that franchise player, the go to guy and one with physical attributes that can imposed his will. Lonzo will be an important piece but once playoff comes, Ingram will take over. He's the only one that can demand double team and maybe Zu.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
This is pretty much the opposite of what I would do. Draymond Green is valuable because of his defensive ability, of which Randle has none. The best thing about Randle is his ability to handle the ball and to a lesser degree, pass the ball. He can not shoot well enough to be a stretch four and he puts his head down when he drives to the basket. Not to mention he can't go right at all.

Randle is the first young player/asset I would try to get rid of. He becomes a free agent in 2018, which is earlier than our other young players.

I think Russell has the most upside from our young players (only slightly ahead of Ingram). I believe Russell needs to be moved to SG. I would also like it if he was given more opportunities in the post against smaller defenders.

Ingram needs to improve his free throw shooting but showed overall improvement towards the end of the season. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Green wasn't a good defender at 22 and not a good outside shooter. So I guess you would have gotten rid of him too. How foolish would that look now?
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

All these people in here that question my BBALL acumen should re-read this thread. Will my critics admit how right I was?

I called Jules being our best all-around player on the team, while I was laughed at. And he has been. He has been the most efficient player on our squad this year. He's giving you more production than anyone else in less minutes.

Lonzo biggest issue is his lack of aggressiveness and shooting. I called the fact that he is timid. I saw that issue coming.

I told everyone here that JC has matured greatly, and he has. He still has the occasional moment of him being out of control, but he along with Jules have probably been our most impactful players this year.

As of right now, Julius Randall is still a better overall player than BI. And my assessment of BI is still the same. It comes down to how much we believe that he has the will/discipline, to crave out a niche for himself on this team?

I believe BI greatest asset is his length and his ability to affect the game on the defensive end. I think he is developing nicely into a decent offensive player but i do not foresee him being a prolific scorer. His mold will be of a T Prince / K. Leonard ..more so than Prince than Leonard.

Here's another prediction....the Lakers best case scenario is bringing in P. Geroge because I do not think they will fix things in OKC... and a bad ending there means he will probably walk. If George comes to LA, then the Lakers will let Jules go (which would be the correct move). At that point, I think Brandon would play a more natural role with the Lakers of defensive specialist and occasional scorer. He might end up a 6th man as well. I can see that happening under certain circumstances.

Prediction. We do not get Lebron. Paul George and Cousins become Lakers in 2018.

Lonzo
George
Brandon
Kuzma
Cousins

You're welcome.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:

I called Jules being our best all-around player on the team, while I was laughed at. And he has been. He has been the most efficient player on our squad this year. He's giving you more production than anyone else in less minutes.

I'd say our best overall player has actually been Lopez. He doesn't shock you with gaudy stats or flashy play, but when he's on the court our defense is significantly better and our turnovers are significantly reduced.

Randle has played very well, but he has issues -- poor shooting, lots of fouls, lots of turnovers. Randle may be a less is more guy who performs better with fewer minutes. I am not sure if he has a future with this club, and I don't ever see him being an all-star talent, but he's playing solidly.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

"It wasn't the moderators, it wasn't the pundits - IT WAS ME"
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Broken clocks are right twice a day, once a day if they're digital and have an AM/PM indicator. And they make for terrible crystal balls. Moving on...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
All these people in here that question my BBALL acumen should re-read this thread. Will my critics admit how right I was?

Uh, what? Randle has played okay, but frankly I've been wondering whether we've kept him past his sell-by date. I'd like to see us package him to a contender at the trade deadline.

fusuyballer wrote:
Prediction. We do not get Lebron. Paul George and Cousins become Lakers in 2018.

Lonzo
George
Brandon
Kuzma
Cousins

You're welcome.

This scenario worries me a lot. That strikes me as a bunch of mismatched pieces.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: