Mid life career change?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Mid life career change?

I had my Jerry Meguire moment.

I'd walked into my well paid tech sales job, sat at my desk, glanced over at our new college grad MBA sales manager. He caught the glacé and walked over.

Lakerjoshua, he says. "You seem unhappy. Is it because I ask you to stand up? We bought all the sales people these amazing desks that go up and down. You don't like yours? Is it broken?"

I say, no it's not that.

He reaches down and hits the up button, the desk raises chest high (I'm in my chair)

He looks at me and says "see, it's not broken, are you?

>Forward 6 months

I'm a Plumbing Apprentice. 35$ and hour, full benefits, I get to travel and meet new people. If I'm mad I can always just pound out a tile shower with a 5lb sledge. I don't think I've ever been so happy in my life at age 37 and in better shape than when I was 27.

How did I miss this happiness? Is it too late for me to be a tradesman? Should I feel less important because I deal in poo instead of intellect?

Thoughts?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

are you italian
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Do what you love. Period.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid life career change?

lakerjoshua wrote:

I'd walked into my well paid tech sales job, sat at my desk, glanced over at our new college grad MBA sales manager. He caught the glacé and walked over.

Lakerjoshua, he says. "You seem unhappy. Is it because I ask you to stand up? We bought all the sales people these amazing desks that go up and down. You don't like yours? Is it broken?"

I say, no it's not that.

He reaches down and hits the up button, the desk raises chest high (I'm in my chair)

>Forward 6 months

I'm a Plumbing Apprentice. 35$ and hour, full benefits, I get to travel and meet new people. If I'm mad I can always just pound out a tile shower with a 5lb sledge. I don't think I've ever been so happy in my life at age 37 and in better shape than when I was 27.

How did I miss this happiness? Is it too late for me to be a tradesman? Should I feel less important because I deal in poo instead of intellect?

Thoughts?

One of the best things that has happened to me is that my career life has been a constant evolution with some radical changes along the way. I've been fairly lucky in that in that regard. What I am doing today is very different than what I was doing 15 years ago, and what I was doing then was very different from what I started my career as.

I think everyone should re-invent themselves along the way. Obviously there are some people who naturally gravitate to a life-calling. But I think most people who don't find that calling need to change things up at least once in order to keep life interesting.

In regards to your shift to plumbing, I have always said to myself that if I could shift gears to become a fine-carpenter, I'd do it in an instant. There's something incredibly satisfying about working with your hands and engaging in a craft. So I can totally understand your sense of satisfaction in your new path.

All the best in your new endeavor.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

@DMR

I've always loved working with my hands. It's therepututic In some ways, I suppose it was always there I just never chased it until now.

I have a neighbor who's a finish carpenter/cabinet maker. He's 70 now and can barely walk. He's got that twinkle in his eye if true content. I want that.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
are you italian

My boss does call me Luigi if that counts 😜
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Yup Mike! Lakers games and shoveling poo...

There's Irony there if you look not to hard lol.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
@DMR

I've always loved working with my hands. It's therepututic In some ways, I suppose it was always there I just never chased it until now.

I have a neighbor who's a finish carpenter/cabinet maker. He's 70 now and can barely walk. He's got that twinkle in his eye if true content. I want that.

I have known several people who do that work and have worked with hands on contractors as well. All of them are the most laid back and content people.

My sense of satisfaction rises astronomically when I have a project to work on that involves building something or fixing something. Give me some tools and supplies and tell me you want a deck or something built and I'm in heaven.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

It really is that simple.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

are you italian
HI I UNDERSTOOD THIS REFERENCE

also

if those were the exact words your new college grad MBA sales manager used, i would've given him a good eyebrow raise.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid life career change?

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

I say, no it's not that.

>Forward 6 months

Thoughts?

One of the best things that has happened to me is that my career life has been a constant evolution with some radical changes along the way. I've been fairly lucky in that in that regard. What I am doing today is very different than what I was doing 15 years ago, and what I was doing then was very different from what I started my career as.

I think everyone should re-invent themselves along the way. Obviously there are some people who naturally gravitate to a life-calling. But I think most people who don't find that calling need to change things up at least once in order to keep life interesting.

In regards to your shift to plumbing, I have always said to myself that if I could shift gears to become a fine-carpenter, I'd do it in an instant. There's something incredibly satisfying about working with your hands and engaging in a craft. So I can totally understand your sense of satisfaction in your new path.

All the best in your new endeavor.

ditto as my path sounds similar to DMR's. These days I take great pride in fighting to protect the environment of a peaceful, joyful productiveness for my team.

Like the other old foggies here intonated... do what you love!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Somebody tell me what the hell I love.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

You think 37 is mid-life? If the old job had you feeling that way, I was time to move on.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid life career change?

lakerjoshua wrote:

I say, no it's not that.

>Forward 6 months

Thoughts?

I feel you man....sometimes on a nice December morning (in Florida), I see road crew working on the way to work and think I would love to trade places instead of being trapped in an office all day.....but in July, I see the same crew and think...."damn, that must suck"
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
You think 37 is mid-life? If the old job had you feeling that way, I was time to move on.

Nailed it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Agree. And my wife's dad raised his family as a plumber, it is a noble profession.

And I am in the middle of something similar, I gave the corporate world a big FU and will begin teaching high school age kids at the local court school. If I can get just one of those miscreants to straighten up it will be worth it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Good on you Josh. I changed careers by accident, and it has been really good for me.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Agree. And my wife's dad raised his family as a plumber, it is a noble profession.

And I am in the middle of something similar, I gave the corporate world a big FU and will begin teaching high school age kids at the local court school. If I can get just one of those miscreants to straighten up it will be worth it.

The pipes I work on are much smaller but similar physics and both carry stuff you wouldn't want in your eyes lol.

And that's awesome VLF. Court school as in continuation or juvinile courts? Yeah man, one kid is all it takes. Teach them a skill and they will work forever.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid life career change?

lakerjoshua wrote:

I say, no it's not that.

>Forward 6 months

Thoughts?

That's awesome.
I'm 39 and after some twists and turns I finally finished up and got my Bachelor's last year. Considering a career change as well. My current job pays the bills... but I don't LOVE it.

I've always liked writing and behind the scenes type stuff.... also REALLY enjoy crafting/building/installing things... (had such a peaceful day installing new car stereo items in my Mom's car the other day) It's just hard letting go of that life raft and moving on to that unknown. I give you major props for having the stones to do it.

Congrats on making the move.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I worked in the Corporate world the first half of my career. Ended up in Manhattan at a Wall Street bank and was miserable. I always loved to cook, so I went to culinary school at night, wrote a business plan, quit my job and started my own personal chef business. Best decision I ever made. Still happy everyday, love to shop, love to cook, love my clients and they love me. And food makes people happy.

Keep doing what you love.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

The worst I've seen so far.

We had a service call to an apartment complex. The toilets, sinks and showers were backing up on the second floor.

I found the clean out to the main in the parking garage, removed the cap and everything that was backed up from 4 top floor apartments came out, all over me. It was like that show double dare and I'd been slimed.

After cleaning myself off as best as I could and puking several times it was time to inspect the main (large 4 inch main drainage pipe that connects to the sewer)..

It turns out it was clogged with cat litter. Some idiot had been flushing the cat box....

The snake couldn't clear it so we spent the afternoon scraping (bleep), rotten food, and what we call "sludge" because we can't identify it, out of the pipes by hand...scoop by disgusting scoop.

When I got home, I took a hot shower and had the best tasting beer I think I've ever had in my life. I turned off my cell phone and didn't have a single care in the world. It was the most peaceful thing I'd ever felt.

Not that I ever want to clean cat litter pipes again but I'll always associate that worst day with the best I've ever felt.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

We had a service call to an apartment complex. The toilets, sinks and showers were backing up on the second floor.

I found the clean out to the main in the parking garage, removed the cap and everything that was backed up from 4 top floor apartments came out, all over me. It was like that show double dare and I'd been slimed.

After cleaning myself off as best as I could and puking several times it was time to inspect the main (large 4 inch main drainage pipe that connects to the sewer)..

It turns out it was clogged with cat litter. Some idiot had been flushing the cat box....

The snake couldn't clear it so we spent the afternoon scraping (bleep), rotten food, and what we call "sludge" because we can't identify it, out of the pipes by hand...scoop by disgusting scoop.

When I got home, I took a hot shower and had the best tasting beer I think I've ever had in my life. I turned off my cell phone and didn't have a single care in the world. It was the most peaceful thing I'd ever felt.

Not that I ever want to clean cat litter pipes again but I'll always associate that worst day with the best I've ever felt.

Would you rather have every day be cat litter pipe day, or every day be this guy's day?:

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Congrats! I've been feeling the same way lately.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Would you rather have every day be cat litter pipe day, or every day be this guy's day?:

With the (bleep) I've been through nothing rattles me. Could be stuck in a maze with 10 Chucky's after me and still be as cool as van exel but THAT video is (bleep) horrific and gives me big time anxiety. Heysoos christos wei. (bleep) me.

Last edited by Dladi Vidac on Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

It's harder to do a career change with each passing year, but it's certainly not impossible with the right amount of dedication and time. Do what you want, you've got only one life. Do you have the time and resources to study another field?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: