Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

It seems to me the topics below was already Mitch's plan and the whole idea of removing Mitch was to not wait but instead to win now!!!! Or am I missing something?

Magic Johnson vows to stay patient as young Lakers endure growing pains

Magic Johnson asks Lakers to be more patient with their young team

Just two of many news links with this story line....

So why get rid of Mitch?

Confusion reigns it seems to me.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
It seems to me the topics below was already Mitch's plan and the whole idea of removing Mitch was to not wait but instead to win now!!!! Or am I missing something?

So why get rid of Mitch?

Not a fan of the magic hire but it was time for a change. The MozDeng contacts were the icing on the cake.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

I've been saying for some time that Magic's "Plan" is exactly the same as the one Mitch had. The big difference is going to be whether or not Magic can close the deal in free agency.

I'd argue that Mitch and Jim striking out constantly in free agency was a blessing in disguise. Pretty much every player that they went after hard (Dwight, Melo, Aldridge) has shown themselves not to be worth the investment long term.

The Moz/Deng signings seemed to be done out of desperation more than anything. Those contracts are going to hinder the team moving forward.

It does seem like Magic now realizes it's not as simple as snapping his fingers and turning the team around.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Change is good. We only had two options:

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Yes
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

When you have 4 straight losing seasons, change is needed, Mitch shouldn't have been let go but I can see why they bought new people to the fold.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers plan is not rocket science. There are not too many directions that we could go. it's was time for a change. Mitch and Jim had their shot and failed.

When you run a business you hire your people and you replace the hold-overs. Its was time to move on.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

Yep. This is what i said when magic became the man and mitch and jim were fired. I was like this is really funny stuff. People are going to act like this isn't what we were already doing. raising the kids and waiting for the right time to strike on a star FA.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

Because he worked for Jim.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

Truck Turner wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

I've been saying for some time that Magic's "Plan" is exactly the same as the one Mitch had. The big difference is going to be whether or not Magic can close the deal in free agency.

I'd argue that Mitch and Jim striking out constantly in free agency was a blessing in disguise. Pretty much every player that they went after hard (Dwight, Melo, Aldridge) has shown themselves not to be worth the investment long term.

The Moz/Deng signings seemed to be done out of desperation more than anything. Those contracts are going to hinder the team moving forward.

It does seem like Magic now realizes it's not as simple as snapping his fingers and turning the team around.
Here's the thing. they didnt' go after any of those players "HARD". They went after them like you would go after any FA, but not hard.

Anyone that thought dwight was a good idea is crazy after how he acted. Anyone thinking melo was going to help us win it all is silly unless we already had the rest of the team setup before he got here. Melo can't/wont win as the #1 guy. Sorry melo fans. Anyone thinking Lemarcus was someone we should've paid the max to was crazy. This is why i was so happy we didnt get any of those guys.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Change is good. We only had two options:

I think that the point is, nothing has seemed to have changed
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

splashmtn wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

Here's the thing. they didnt' go after any of those players "HARD". They went after them like you would go after any FA, but not hard.

Anyone that thought dwight was a good idea is crazy after how he acted. Anyone thinking melo was going to help us win it all is silly unless we already had the rest of the team setup before he got here. Melo can't/wont win as the #1 guy. Sorry melo fans. Anyone thinking Lemarcus was someone we should've paid the max to was crazy. This is why i was so happy we didnt get any of those guys.

Whether or not they went hard would be subjective. I do think with Kobe still being DA MAN, it was obligatory for them to go after those guys knowing the latter half of their contracts wouldn't be good investments. I do believe they were somewhat relieved in striking out. In a perfect world, the media would see it as I see it. That those attempted moves were just to placate Kobe and his fandom, and that it's a good thing those free agents declined, and that we're on the right track and we should be patient. But instead, the media rode them, especially Jim Buss. I don't think the Moz/Deng signings occur without the media pressure. And like I said before Luke and B. Shaw had a lot to do with those signings, especially the Moz signing. But they'll get a free pass because ultimately the decision falls on Mitch and Jim.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Feels like the change was made for free agents. Mitch and Jim have underwhelmed for years. Unfortunately the only move really is to continue to draft well and let those huge contracts roll off. It feels like the lakers will need to trade some of their young players for future draft picks as signing all of them to extensions will really tie them to this core with very little flexibility or assets to make adjustments if this group cannot open a championship window.

It's unfortunate but I don't think magic and pelinka can easily unwind this cap situation so they really have no choice but to stick with this core for a few years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Well, it was Mitch's plan except magic and Jeanie wanted to run everything...
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I think that some of it is that Magic's idealism* of the past has been replaced by pragmatism after actually living the life as a FO executive.

When he first started getting involved (January - early February), he was behind the better kibitzers in some knowledge & skills crucial to being a competent FO executive.

Magic Johnson says he wants to 'call the shots' with Lakers

Quote:

“It’s going to take time and we know that,’’ said Johnson, the Hall-of-Famer who played for the Lakers from 1979-91 and played 32 games during the 1995-96 season. “I’m not going to fool nobody and I don’t want the fan base to think, ‘Oh, I’m back, so it’s going to turn around tomorrow.’ It doesn’t work like that.

“You have to make some good decisions, you have to make sure we use the money wisely when we have it for free agents and then we’re going to draft well.’’

During his first week in his new role, Johnson said, he has focused his time learning about the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, the salary cap and other business-related items.

After improving on his weaknesses mentioned above coupled with spending some time interacting with the FO executives of other teams in regards to player valuations, trade proposals etc; he probably has come to realize that he isn't going to rebuild the Lakers in a day or a year.

Last edited by Bard207 on Sat May 13, 2017 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Why get rid of Mitch? He signed Mozgov and Deng to ridiculous contracts.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:

But, if you think about it and as we see with any possible TRADE for a franchise guy/all-star - you need those contracts to match $$.

Future hindsight is going to say that the issue all along is that they (more Mitch and Magic) never worked together. Magic needs a wand and Mitch's wand post-drbuss never had that personality/visionary to help execute the plan.

I can see us, with Magic, entering a phase of playoff purgatory where we sign stars but they just don't have enough to get to a finals.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

But, if you think about it and as we see with any possible TRADE for a franchise guy/all-star - you need those contracts to match $$.

Future hindsight is going to say that the issue all along is that they (more Mitch and Magic) never worked together. Magic needs a wand and Mitch's wand post-drbuss never had that personality/visionary to help execute the plan.

I can see us, with Magic, entering a phase of playoff purgatory where we sign stars but they just don't have enough to get to a finals.

If a team is operating at/above the salary cap that is true.

If a team has sufficient cap space to just absorb a contract, then there is no need to match salaries.

The Lin and Calderon trades are examples of salary being absorbed into cap space because Houston and Chicago respectfully took no salary back.

Last edited by Bard207 on Sun May 14, 2017 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I supported Jim and Mitch. But they just didn't seem to have the star power needed to draw FAs. That's the only issue I had with them.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't about Mitch. We can argue whether he deserved to be fired or not, but in the end, it was about Jeanie taking the chance to get rid of Jimbo. Mitch was collateral damage.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Strategy is easy, execution is hard and takes collaboration, work, etc. I'm encouraged by how the new management is taking care of all the small things -- e.g. Moving to beef up analytics, Focus on conditioning, Building up the roster (e.g. Replacing deadweight like Huertas with upside), etc. I also think you'll start seeing better transaction execution with Magic leading the charge and Pelinka executing the details.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Strategy is easy, execution is hard and takes collaboration, work, etc. I'm encouraged by how the new management is taking care of all the small things -- e.g. Moving to beef up analytics, Focus on conditioning, Building up the roster (e.g. Replacing deadweight like Huertas with upside), etc. I also think you'll start seeing better transaction execution with Magic leading the charge and Pelinka executing the details.

Well said...
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Mitch was just the scapegoat so Jeanie can get Jim out of the way so she can run the show with him out of her way. This has always been a sibling rivalry fight nothing more nothing less. Jeanie is just as big a problem as Jim was, if not worst. She just has a nice smile to cover up her filth.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I supported Jim and Mitch. But they just didn't seem to have the star power needed to draw FAs. That's the only issue I had with them.

Let's see what happens this summer with top free agents. I'm not holding my breath but hope to he pleasantly surprised.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

Truck Turner wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

So why get rid of Mitch?

I really think it came down to Mitch being more loyal to Jim than Jeannie. He was forced to choose sides and he chose the wrong side. He was between a rock and a hard space because if he would have not bought into Jim's power struggle, Jim would have fired him. So he did what he had to do for survival, he was going down regardless, because he was in an impossible situation. Magic, on the other hand, ONLY has to deal with Jeannie, so his choice is an easy one. Communicate with Jeannie and keep her in the loop. Whether he does what Mitch and Jim would have done, is really not the point. If he is unable to turn this team around, he will likely have to move on too. That is the way of professional sports. Success breeds endurance, lack of success leads to early exits.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: