Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Yes, this was the previous guys' plan. The difference is, as others before me pointed out, the deals to Moz/Deng made it apparent that it was going to be a long process, and that process was/is not going very well.

Now, the new guys are brought in to (1) minimize the cap damage done by those contracts (Pelinka's specialty), by assessing the present landscape, and strategizing w/Magic as to who or what might be realistic, and hopefully better options, and (2) have a presence with agents, and through them free agents, that we can leverage into obtainable assets.

Retaining the top 3 pick will be a key asset in terms of how much leverage we'll be able to use.

As a GM we don't have a clue about what Pelinka's specialty is, since he hasn't done anything yet other than look good in a suit. This to some seems to be a major accomplishment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka is very good in front of a camera or microphone. He was obviously good at getting good money for his better clients. The agent I know has a good opinion of him. What remains to be seen is how that translates to being a GM. Mitch stood up to Jim at times, will Rob stand up to Magic?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Pelinka is very good in front of a camera or microphone. He was obviously good at getting good money for his better clients. The agent I know has a good opinion of him. What remains to be seen is how that translates to being a GM. Mitch stood up to Jim at times, will Rob stand up to Magic?

I sincerely hope that he doesn't become Magic's "Yes" man. I doubt that he does though. He seems to be sharp and he seems to know what he is doing. You don't set aside a very successful and lucrative business just to become someone else's "Yes" man, right?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakers GM Rob Pelinka Says His Optimism Is ‘Not Contingent Upon Getting The Pick’
Quote:
“Magic and I just have a real level of confidence and optimism,” Pelinka said. “Our trust is in hard work and kind of just the pursuit of excellence with everything we do. It’s not contingent on getting the pick or not getting the pick.”

Apparently he has a plan & it's not Mitch or Jim's plan.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-says-his-optimism-is-not-contingent-upon-getting-the-pick/2017/05/14/
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Magic is smart enough to know that he's not smart enough to surround himself with yes men.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Magic is smart enough to know that he's not smart enough to surround himself with yes men.

THANK YOU!! .....BUSINESS 101 (pg. 2)!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Lakers GM Rob Pelinka Says His Optimism Is ‘Not Contingent Upon Getting The Pick’
Quote:
“Magic and I just have a real level of confidence and optimism,” Pelinka said. “Our trust is in hard work and kind of just the pursuit of excellence with everything we do. It’s not contingent on getting the pick or not getting the pick.”

Apparently he has a plan & it's not Mitch or Jim's plan.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-says-his-optimism-is-not-contingent-upon-getting-the-pick/2017/05/14/

Apparently the plan is to cliche us to death.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Yes, this was the previous guys' plan. The difference is, as others before me pointed out, the deals to Moz/Deng made it apparent that it was going to be a long process, and that process was/is not going very well.

Now, the new guys are brought in to (1) minimize the cap damage done by those contracts (Pelinka's specialty), by assessing the present landscape, and strategizing w/Magic as to who or what might be realistic, and hopefully better options, and (2) have a presence with agents, and through them free agents, that we can leverage into obtainable assets.

Retaining the top 3 pick will be a key asset in terms of how much leverage we'll be able to use.

As a GM we don't have a clue about what Pelinka's specialty is, since he hasn't done anything yet other than look good in a suit. This to some seems to be a major accomplishment.

Its been reported over and over that he's a cap man, so that's what I repeated, so if that's true we do know, at least on a limited basis.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

Mitch made some good moves as a GM, most notably he netted Pau Gasol. He also acquired Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Luol Deng, and Timofey Mozgov, drafted Kareem Rush over Tayshaun Prince, and dithered on Devean George, potentially costing the Lakers a good shot at signing Chauncey Billups. It is what it is, we won championships under Mitch's watch, with a couple of big assists by Jerry West. No GM is perfect.

Pelinka and Magic inherited a mess, not quite NY Knicks bad, but close. Give them some time. Then hang them.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

It is the new NBA. You have to build through the draft and be patient while the young kids grow. At some point you can move a few of your young guys that you are less high, or don't want to give big money contracts to.

Those Mozdeng contracts were what Mitch and Jim did wrong, not the build through the draft strategy.
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
So why get rid of Mitch?

Confusion reigns it seems to me.

How are people still questioning this?

Mitch was as much a part of these several straight years of mismanagement as Jim was. They were a tag team partnership of ineptitude, passive aggressiveness and social awkwardness.

If he wasn't asleep at the switch in the early 2000s we'd have probably got an extra title out of the Kobe/Shaq years too.

Good riddance.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
It is the new NBA. You have to build through the draft and be patient while the young kids grow. At some point you can move a few of your young guys that you are less high, or don't want to give big money contracts to.

Those Mozdeng contracts were what Mitch and Jim did wrong, not the build through the draft strategy.

Agreed. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what Magic says. The Lakers have no choice at this point BUT to be patient. Once our youth begins to show real promise, then he will have a, uh, hot iron to strike at NBA free agents. GSW is a good example. They sucked for a while, drafted well, developed over a few years, and then they were ready to attract the veterans. And then they won and became everyone's darling, so getting KD was not that hard.

Next season is going to be about player development. Maybe the season after that too, but we'll see.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't this Mitch's plan in the first place?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
It seems to me the topics below was already Mitch's plan and the whole idea of removing Mitch was to not wait but instead to win now!!!! Or am I missing something?

Magic Johnson vows to stay patient as young Lakers endure growing pains

Magic Johnson asks Lakers to be more patient with their young team

Just two of many news links with this story line....

So why get rid of Mitch?

Confusion reigns it seems to me.

When did anyone in the FO ever say that the plan is to shut down the rebuild and win now and that that's why Mitch and Jim were canned? Your criticism is rooted in an unfounded assumption to start with.

Besides, they were fired for more reasons than one. So yes, you're missing something. In fact, you're missing several things.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Mitch made some good moves as a GM, most notably he netted Pau Gasol. He also acquired Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Luol Deng, and Timofey Mozgov, drafted Kareem Rush over Tayshaun Prince, and dithered on Devean George, potentially costing the Lakers a good shot at signing Chauncey Billups. It is what it is, we won championships under Mitch's watch, with a couple of big assists by Jerry West. No GM is perfect.

Pelinka and Magic inherited a mess, not quite NY Knicks bad, but close. Give them some time. Then hang them.

I am hoping we end up celebrating them, not hanging them.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Mitch was just the scapegoat so Jeanie can get Jim out of the way so she can run the show with him out of her way. This has always been a sibling rivalry fight nothing more nothing less. Jeanie is just as big a problem as Jim was, if not worst. She just has a nice smile to cover up her filth.

But she doesnt make bball decisions. Jim Buss thought he knew how to build a team. At least Jeannie doesn't pretend to know and brought in people to make those decisions.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Magic reminds me a lot of Trump.

Lots of big talk and optimism before he gets hired.

Lots of disappointment and reduced expectations after.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Its been reported over and over that he's a cap man, so that's what I repeated, so if that's true we do know, at least on a limited basis.

It's been reported over and over on this forum. But what evidence is there to back it up. This is a front 9ffice that has the 2 top positions filled with guys that have zero front office experience. At this point to give them a specialty is merely assumption and group think from this forum.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Mitch better be using his prayer beads right now because he (bleep) the bed big time.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:

Interesting comparison since Magic hasn't been "in office" long enough yet to make any "disappointing" moves.

And he also hasn't pledged to "make the Lakers great again" or made any sort of promises. In fact, he's said if he can't do the job then he'll step aside. What specifically has he said that supports this idea of "big talk"? Please be specific. Provide a quote. Provide a link. Provide something verifiable. Otherwise your Trump comparison fails in epic fashion.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
composite wrote:

Interesting comparison since Magic hasn't been "in office" long enough yet to make any "disappointing" moves.

And he also hasn't pledged to "make the Lakers great again" or made any sort of promises. In fact, he's said if he can't do the job then he'll step aside. What specifically has he said that supports this idea of "big talk"? Please be specific. Provide a quote. Provide a link. Provide something verifiable. Otherwise your Trump comparison fails in epic fashion.

A lot of the group think mentality persists here.

There are a few LG "gurus" that have convicted Magic of offenses he has not even come close to committing. The followers have bought into that line of thinking hook, line and sinker.

The reality is Magic and Pelinka to this point have been prudent. I don't think they are in love with any of the young roster, but hopefully they are able to fleece a team in a trade for some of our young "assets" or asshats or whatever we have.

Bottom 3 Team, it is a mess but hopefully Mitch lucks out and we keep the pick tomorrow so his legacy isn't tarnished further. The last few years were almost as bad as the clown in Orlando.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

It's been reported over and over on this forum. But what evidence is there to back it up. This is a front 9ffice that has the 2 top positions filled with guys that have zero front office experience. At this point to give them a specialty is merely assumption and group think from this forum.

That is what Magic and presumably Jeanie believe.

Los Angeles Lakers hire former agent Rob Pelinka as new GM

Quote:

In Jeanie Buss' vision, Johnson will be the Lakers' big-picture leader and public face with final say on basketball decisions, while Pelinka will handle the mechanics of contracts and salary cap management.

"Rob's knowledge of the NBA landscape and the CBA, as well as his relationships with GMs around the league, are invaluable," Johnson said. "After running a successful sports agency, and as someone who truly understands the inner workings of salary caps and player negotiations, he will bring the additional skills and experience needed in the Lakers' executive office. Rob is a winner, and the Lakers are fortunate to have him."
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Strategy is easy, execution is hard and takes collaboration, work, etc. I'm encouraged by how the new management is taking care of all the small things -- e.g. Moving to beef up analytics, Focus on conditioning, Building up the roster (e.g. Replacing deadweight like Huertas with upside), etc. I also think you'll start seeing better transaction execution with Magic leading the charge and Pelinka executing the details.

Right on point...
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
composite wrote:

In general, tweets about how the Lakers should challenge for a title quickly or otherwise it's Jim Buss' fault. Never mind Kobe's albatross of a contract that Jeannie signed off. Or mortgaging the future to get Nash (which Magic endorsed).

How about tweets last summer (before he was hired), how the Lakers should go after DeMar, KD and, my favorite, Lebron??? Implying that getting those FA's was even possible.

Now that he's taken over, suddenly he's preaching "patience" and that we should think "long term." Go after next year's FAs.

That's all I can find after a few minutes of googling. But go back 3-4 years ago, and he was ripping the Lakers constantly over their failures.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

As those of us here prove every day, it is easy to be a blowhard when you have no skin in the game.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Sorry VLF but Moz/Deng plus trying in vain to max guys like Dwight Howard and Carmelo Anthony?

It isn't pretty. Dress up however you want, the guy was underproducing and drastically overpaid for years.

Good news is I think in time Magic and Rob will be able to fix his mess.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: