Magic & Rob (Full Video): *Focus being about Young Players and Cap to sign 2 Guys in 2018*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

At the end they say Fox wowed Rob with the interview they had at the combine.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The NBA projects the 2018 salary cap to be set at $103 million. With Randle's cap hold, we have about $76million in salary on the books. However, this does not count the contract of whoever we pick at #2, which would be another $5 million or so. This also doesn't count whoever we draft at #28.

Our cap number going into the 2018-2019 season is likely about $81 million (assuming no salary for the 28th pick), or only $22 million in cap space. A max slot (for someone like Paul George or DeMarcus Cousins) is $30 million. Thus, two max slots would require about $60 million in cap space.

For us to get to $60 million in cap space, we would need another $38 million in space freed up. In other words, assuming we want to keep Zubac/Nance/#2 pick/Randle/Ingram, the only way to get there would be to trade Mozgov, Deng and Clarkson (who, combined, will make about $46.5 million in 2018-2019).

Accordingly, if Magic is going to be kept at his word, my guess is that we try to trade either/both Mozgov and Deng using Clarkson, Nance and the #28 pick (or whoever we take with that pick) as sweetners. As options, the Lakers could also stretch one or both of Mozgov and Deng, and release their rights to Randle.

For example, a trade of Mozgov/Clarkson/#28 pick for Brook Lopez (an expiring contract) would save us $28.5 million alone (assuming we waive any bird rights for Lopez). After that, you stretch Loul Deng in 2018, reducing his salary to around $7.3 million, you save about $10.7 million, thereby getting us to about $39.2 million in savings, or a total of $61.2 million in cap space.

We can get there, but it will take something like the above to do so.

I think trade is the more likely avenue to acquire two All Stars.

First, a package involving JC+Randle for somebody like PG13.
In 2018, S&T for a max FA. One of Russell/ Ingram may have to be involved though.

It will test the skills of Pelinka. Magic is more of a face for PR imo. I wish Mitch is still with the team; he is a master of trades.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The NBA projects the 2018 salary cap to be set at $103 million. With Randle's cap hold, we have about $76million in salary on the books. However, this does not count the contract of whoever we pick at #2, which would be another $5 million or so. This also doesn't count whoever we draft at #28.

Our cap number going into the 2018-2019 season is likely about $81 million (assuming no salary for the 28th pick), or only $22 million in cap space. A max slot (for someone like Paul George or DeMarcus Cousins) is $30 million. Thus, two max slots would require about $60 million in cap space.

For us to get to $60 million in cap space, we would need another $38 million in space freed up. In other words, assuming we want to keep Zubac/Nance/#2 pick/Randle/Ingram, the only way to get there would be to trade Mozgov, Deng and Clarkson (who, combined, will make about $46.5 million in 2018-2019).

Accordingly, if Magic is going to be kept at his word, my guess is that we try to trade either/both Mozgov and Deng using Clarkson, Nance and the #28 pick (or whoever we take with that pick) as sweetners. As options, the Lakers could also stretch one or both of Mozgov and Deng, and release their rights to Randle.

For example, a trade of Mozgov/Clarkson/#28 pick for Brook Lopez (an expiring contract) would save us $28.5 million alone (assuming we waive any bird rights for Lopez). After that, you stretch Loul Deng in 2018, reducing his salary to around $7.3 million, you save about $10.7 million, thereby getting us to about $39.2 million in savings, or a total of $61.2 million in cap space.

Mozdeng .
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

We could trade Randle/Clarkson/#28 pick for George.

With Randle cap hold/Clarkson/#28 pick, we have about $82 million in salary committed in 2018. If we trade those three assets for George, with George's cap hold of $29 million, we'd add about $1 million to that number, making our total $83 million, or about $20 million in cap room. We'd still need to stretch Mozgov and/or Deng at that point to free up another max slot.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
It seems like we are not moving a core piece for an all star this season, but maybe sending some assets alongside a bad contract to free some capspace.

In this case I think Julius and Clarkson are the young players with the greater possibility to go.

Let's see how the new front office act, I'm excited about the possibility to draft a PG to play alongside Dlo, I'm excited to see how it work.

To dump salary? That would be extremely stupid.

Not many think Julius is going to be a superstar and he is the first young player to get paid, so moving him alongside Deng or Mozgov contract means a lot of capspace.

If you look at him as a core piece then I agree, it would be stupid.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

i like the brook lopez idea. heck, you could swing him for a couple seconds at the trade deadline to recoup the equivalent of the 28th pick.

i have no qualms about attaching clarkson to moz/deng to alleviate one of those contracts if need be.

i definitely think it's possible. a team like the nets is in desperate need of any assets they can get.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

With Randle cap hold/Clarkson/#28 pick, we have about $82 million in salary committed in 2018. If we trade those three assets for George, with George's cap hold of $29 million, we'd add about $1 million to that number, making our total $83 million, or about $20 million in cap room. We'd still need to stretch Mozgov and/or Deng at that point to free up another max slot.

That is why I think S&T in 2018 is more feasible.
Russell will have extension approaching then, so....
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Sounds like management actually has a plan now.

To be fair, it looks like what Jim and Mitch were doing. Magic just happens to be more vocal about it.

Sounds like the same plan to me.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Getting the cap space to sign two FAs in 2018 would be very difficult.

We have 20-25m in cap space this year right?

Use it only on one year deals.

14m comes off with Black and Brewer

So that's 34-39m

Stretch Moz and Deng and save about 15-18m combined

49-52m+ in cap space for 2018 Summer

Isn't Randle due for a big contract? Is that 2018? So guessing he won't be resigned then?

We would only have his cap hold, sign the FA before we sign him.

His cap hold will be huge, not something you can ignore.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

^A sign/trade doesn't make a difference. It leads to the same place. Numbers are nubers.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Sure we could but by would Indy do that?

JC is a 6th man
Randle is still highly unproven
#28 is nothing nothing to write home about

Meanwhile, we have #2, Ingram and DLO on our roster? I see no way they even consider that... no chance.

Mozzy + 28 + JC for Lopez could be a good offer for both sides

Wizards need some vet leadership and a guy like Deng would be perfect... maybe there is a way to make that happen.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Just making the point of how hard it is to clear cap space. Whether the other team would take the deal is a whole other issue.

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Magic & Rob (Full Video): *Focus being about Young Players and Cap to sign 2 Guys in 2018*

Iron Mamba wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5DMONsmQ6I

Focus being about the young players:

Quote:
Rob:

"One of the other things, internally we have a system of excellence in a platform for our young players to develop. If you look at our young core in D'Angelo, Larry, Julius, Brandon, Zubac, and another young player in our 2nd pick and 28th pick, we've got to do an amazing job building the right incubator, the right system, and Luke has done a good job of building our young players, so a lot of our focus is on that. We have a chessboard of scenarios where there is a heavy, heavy class of free agents coming in 2018 that everybody knows about so that's got to be the focus. If there's a perfect player that presents itself in 2017, of course we will look at it, but we want to keep a healthy cap and have a system in place where our young players can become the best versions of themselves and maximize their God given gifts."

Rob didn't mention Clarkson, Black, or Ennis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

hdtvset wrote:
epak wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

To be fair, it looks like what Jim and Mitch were doing. Magic just happens to be more vocal about it.

Wrong. As previously mentioned, please refer to MozDeng.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
hdtvset wrote:
epak wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

Wrong. As previously mentioned, please refer to MozDeng.

i doubt they were about to trade lou and highly doubt they were going to bench their new star MozDeng. Jim was in make the best wins improvement possible cuz i just need more time to cash in mode.

The number 2 pick is already a very different path then we were previously on.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

If we pick up every player option, I counted 72 mil including the number 2 pick and the 28th. If we stretch Moz and Deng , it will go down to 52 mil. If the caps holds at 103, we can trade Clarkson for non guaranteed ones or find a 3rd wheel team with a cap space . We don't have to sign randle if there are 2 premium free agents coming in.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

Ok now, the word "excellence" is getting played out. We get it. Let's see what moves we make.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

100%.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZST7QyUMY

Fox came off well at the lotto. Malik Monk was on camera shaking like a leaf and Fox looked confident and enjoyed his moment in the spotlight.

Also, notice the wording for Magic/Lenka, they aren't saying they are targeting
"max" free agents. I'd assume they are targeting at least one younger guy who they may think might want to head to LA for... whatever reasons, bigger market, more opportunity to shine in the Laker situation vs wherever they are. I'm not getting the quick fix vibe of going after a Carmelo or some other 30+ year old who has two good years left.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

I know many on this board disagree with me, but I question Randle and Clarkson's fit with this team moving forward. Plus, Clarkson takes up 12.5 in 2018 cap, and Randle's cap hold is also 12.5 in 2018. That's 25 mil for 2 players who"s fit I question.

Trade Clarkson, Randle, Moz and a 2020 first rounder (the first we can trade as 2018 now goes to Philly), to Sac for Tolliver, Afflalo, Galloway, WCS and their 2nd rounder this year (#34). Good trade for Sac, they get 2 young rotation guys who they control contract wise (for a team that has trouble attracting FA's). They have plenty of cap (and little options to use it) to take Moz, plus a future first for a team on a rebuild. The only pain is WCS, but they have Papagiannis who needs PT, and Skal is a guy who could get minutes at both 4 and 5, and I figure they place higher value on Skal than WCS with his offensive potential. With Randle/Papa/Skal/Moz they can use their picks on perimeter guys. Moz allows them to trade Koufos who would likely net them another first rounder for their rebuild.

For the Lakers, we can buy out Afflalo and Tolliver who are only partially guaranteed. Galloway is an expiring. Move Deng to the 4, and draft replacements for Randle/JC. I like Ojeleye and Hart. We could sign a PG like Collison, and draft Ball.

We'd be about 30 mil under the cap, and I would sell that cap space for picks and expiring deals. Should be able to replace the lost 2018 pick and maybe more. (IIRC, Utah netted 2 firsts from the W's in the Biedrins/Jefferson cap absorb).

PG- Collison/Ball
SG- DLO/Galloway/Hart
SF- Ingram/Brewer
PF- Deng/Nance/Ojeleye
C- WCS/Zub/Black

In 2018, we could trade the 1st we got in the cap absorb, along with Deng, to a team to absorb the deal (teams like Sac, Brooklyn would be good candidates). Hopefully moving Deng to the 4 gets his value back up some, and with just 2 years left on his deal he would be movable if we include a pick.

We'd then have:
Ball, Collison, DLO, Hart, Ingram, Nance, Ojeleye, Wcs and Zub, plus about 68 mil in cap space, enough to max 2 guys (and then some).
Add 2 of PG, Westbrook, Cousins and it's off to the races.
We keep our young core and add marquee FA's.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Getting the cap space to sign two FAs in 2018 would be very difficult.

Not if the plan is to trade Moz and Deng for Melo and Brook while attaching disposable assets like 28, randle, or JC

First that would be extremely ignorant. Second, any plan based on Melo dropping his no trade clause to go to the Lakers only to be released the next season isn't a plan, it is a fantasy. Move good assets to be stiffed in free agency?
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

Ehhhh... They wouldn't have signed Deng or Mozgov if that were the case. And even if they had the exact same plan, there is a lot to people having faith in your business operations. Magic simply brings legitimacy to the Laker brand which it has sorely lacked the past few years.
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised if Randle and Deng is packaged to Brooklyn or Dallas.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
I know many on this board disagree with me, but I question Randle and Clarkson's fit with this team moving forward. Plus, Clarkson takes up 12.5 in 2018 cap, and Randle's cap hold is also 12.5 in 2018. That's 25 mil for 2 players who"s fit I question.

Trade Clarkson, Randle, Moz and a 2020 first rounder (the first we can trade as 2018 now goes to Philly), to Sac for Tolliver, Afflalo, Galloway, WCS and their 2nd rounder this year (#34). Good trade for Sac, they get 2 young rotation guys who they control contract wise (for a team that has trouble attracting FA's). They have plenty of cap (and little options to use it) to take Moz, plus a future first for a team on a rebuild. The only pain is WCS, but they have Papagiannis who needs PT, and Skal is a guy who could get minutes at both 4 and 5, and I figure they place higher value on Skal than WCS with his offensive potential. With Randle/Papa/Skal/Moz they can use their picks on perimeter guys. Moz allows them to trade Koufos who would likely net them another first rounder for their rebuild.

For the Lakers, we can buy out Afflalo and Tolliver who are only partially guaranteed. Galloway is an expiring. Move Deng to the 4, and draft replacements for Randle/JC. I like Ojeleye and Hart. We could sign a PG like Collison, and draft Ball.

We'd be about 30 mil under the cap, and I would sell that cap space for picks and expiring deals. Should be able to replace the lost 2018 pick and maybe more. (IIRC, Utah netted 2 firsts from the W's in the Biedrins/Jefferson cap absorb).

PG- Collison/Ball
SG- DLO/Galloway/Hart
SF- Ingram/Brewer
PF- Deng/Nance/Ojeleye
C- WCS/Zub/Black

In 2018, we could trade the 1st we got in the cap absorb, along with Deng, to a team to absorb the deal (teams like Sac, Brooklyn would be good candidates). Hopefully moving Deng to the 4 gets his value back up some, and with just 2 years left on his deal he would be movable if we include a pick.

We'd then have:
Ball, Collison, DLO, Hart, Ingram, Nance, Ojeleye, Wcs and Zub, plus about 68 mil in cap space, enough to max 2 guys (and then some).
Add 2 of PG, Westbrook, Cousins and it's off to the races.
We keep our young core and add marquee FA's.

I always saw JC and Randle as 2 really great bench guys and together could for a mob but given the MozDeng deals, funds are tight so they might both be the outsiders looking in. I guess ideal world Randle + JC + 28 +2019 first (if that's possible) for PG and then try and move Deng after his value is back up playing the 4 and stretch Mozzy in 2018.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZST7QyUMY

Fox came off well at the lotto. Malik Monk was on camera shaking like a leaf and Fox looked confident and enjoyed his moment in the spotlight.

Also, notice the wording for Magic/Lenka, they aren't saying they are targeting
"max" free agents. I'd assume they are targeting at least one younger guy who they may think might want to head to LA for... whatever reasons, bigger market, more opportunity to shine in the Laker situation vs wherever they are. I'm not getting the quick fix vibe of going after a Carmelo or some other 30+ year old who has two good years left.

I hope that they aren't overly swayed by the interviews, especially given the emphasis that they put on 'character'. By all accounts Fox is charismatic and handled his interviews great with all teams. But remember, Phoenix passed on Kawhi because he seemed too nervous (specifically, he sweated too much, lol).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: