OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 470, 471, 472 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject:

I'm still pissed Magic shut down BI for summer league because "We already know what he can do." After the preseason, I have no clue what BI can do well in. The last game was encouraging though. But we've seem glimpse before. The idea is to give our kids minutes and reps, not shut them down for hang nails, and take things slow because of minutes research.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

59 players polled on Lonzo.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21052679/nba-players-weigh-lonzo-ball
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
“Going through this season, going through tomorrow night with I’m sure Pat Beverley hounding him all over the floor is going to be a great learning experience for him,” Walton explained, “because he’s gonna have to learn how to release pressure or he’s gonna have to learn how to play off the ball. And that’s something that until he goes through it, we can tell him, we can show him on tape, but until you go through it, you don’t really get to fully understand that.”

Ball showed he is a fantastic off ball player in college. If he's struggling in that department then that probably means you're not putting enough playmakers around him.

Sounds like Luke hasn't seen him play

Too busy making BBQ and hanging with his boys
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Ben Simmons had 18 pts 10 boards and 5 dimes in 35 minutes. DSJ had 16 pts and 10 dimes in 30 minutes. Fultz had 10 pts in 18 minutes. Tatum has played 37 minutes each game so far. Josh Jackson 32 minutes. Some good showings around the league. You're up Lonzo. But knowing Luke, Lonzo will probably get 25 minutes with pedestrian numbers. Because, "we as a staff," have done research on top rookie minutes. After all the second coming of Magic and Jason Kidd talk, all of a sudden, "he needs a lot of coaching." Luke is prepping us for limited minutes. We take things slow here in Laker world when it comes to rookie development. We cool as the other side of the pillow.

The problem is that Luke needs to win this year, so his patience will be short. He will tinker with lineups no end until he gets good combinations, if Lonzo or other rookies do not perform he will slow down their development for the sake of wins. His hook will be short, and so I feel we're going to be frustrated if Lonzo sits on the bench if he's not making that offense click right away. The leash will be short.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
The minutes restriction doesn't make any sense to me unless Zo has a issue with stamina that we're unaware of.

It has been reported that he is easily winded in practice

I guess that explains it.. I thought the initial reports about his stamina was bogus.

This is perplexing if true. Dude did nothing but run at a high pace at Chino Hills and UCLA and rarely broke a sweat.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
“Going through this season, going through tomorrow night with I’m sure Pat Beverley hounding him all over the floor is going to be a great learning experience for him,” Walton explained, “because he’s gonna have to learn how to release pressure or he’s gonna have to learn how to play off the ball. And that’s something that until he goes through it, we can tell him, we can show him on tape, but until you go through it, you don’t really get to fully understand that.”

Ball showed he is a fantastic off ball player in college. If he's struggling in that department then that probably means you're not putting enough playmakers around him.

This is one of those times where I wish LG had a chat session withe the coach.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Ben Simmons had 18 pts 10 boards and 5 dimes in 35 minutes. DSJ had 16 pts and 10 dimes in 30 minutes. Fultz had 10 pts in 18 minutes. Tatum has played 37 minutes each game so far. Josh Jackson 32 minutes. Some good showings around the league. You're up Lonzo. But knowing Luke, Lonzo will probably get 25 minutes with pedestrian numbers. Because, "we as a staff," have done research on top rookie minutes. After all the second coming of Magic and Jason Kidd talk, all of a sudden, "he needs a lot of coaching." Luke is prepping us for limited minutes. We take things slow here in Laker world when it comes to rookie development. We cool as the other side of the pillow.

The problem is that Luke needs to win this year, so his patience will be short. He will tinker with lineups no end until he gets good combinations, if Lonzo or other rookies do not perform he will slow down their development for the sake of wins. His hook will be short, and so I feel we're going to be frustrated if Lonzo sits on the bench if he's not making that offense click right away. The leash will be short.

I'm not worried about Lonzo getting a short hook. Luke may keep his minutes in check, but it won't be because of his play on the court. Ennis isn't going to steal minutes from Lonzo, and Caruso is basically Lonzo-lite.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
The minutes restriction doesn't make any sense to me unless Zo has a issue with stamina that we're unaware of.

I guess that explains it.. I thought the initial reports about his stamina was bogus.

This is perplexing if true. Dude did nothing but run at a high pace at Chino Hills and UCLA and rarely broke a sweat.

This is getting blown out of proportion. GT mentioned that Lonzo looked winded during his first full practice after the ankle injury. Let's not misconstrue that with the idea that he has stamina issues.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I'm still pissed Magic shut down BI for summer league because "We already know what he can do."

Another misstep with the handling of BI courtesy of Magic.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I'm not worried about Lonzo getting a short hook. Luke may keep his minutes in check, but it won't be because of his play on the court. Ennis isn't going to steal minutes from Lonzo, and Caruso is basically Lonzo-lite.

I don't see how they limit his mins if they want to win more. It's not like they have anyone better than rookie Lonzo at PG. I don't know what Luke is trying to say. He may be out of shape after the ankle but after a few games he should get his wind back and play 30+ like he did in SL.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

This is getting blown out of proportion. GT mentioned that Lonzo looked winded during his first full practice after the ankle injury. Let's not misconstrue that with the idea that he has stamina issues.

Hence why I said "if true"
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
I'm still pissed Magic shut down BI for summer league because "We already know what he can do."

That was just grandstanding. Magic loves basking in the spotlight.

I actually think it was best for Lonzo that he didn't play.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Sound point. But they were always going to have to learn to play together and those reps would have helped.
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

I want to see this kid in full attack mode in his first reg season game.

Go LONZO!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

I want to see him start the offense from the backcourt like did so well in the SPL. Hit Nance and Ingram with some touchdown passes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
59 players polled on Lonzo.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21052679/nba-players-weigh-lonzo-ball

Oh God, typical ESPN garbage.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

And let’s not pretend that sitting for weeks gets one in playing shape.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It is best for Lonzo that Ingram didn’t play?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It is best for Lonzo that Ingram didn’t play?

Ingram was on a mission to prove he could iso and score, which doesn't do anything for Lonzo's game.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Oh God. More Magic bashing.

We just saw two stars lost for the season with horrific knee injuries after one game. Lakers brass were understandably concerned when Ingram pulled up lame in a meaningless preseason game.

Yes, it ended up being a cramp, but a scene like that can be startling, seeing one of your prized players writhing in pain clutching his leg. He needs the work – of course – but at what expense? We're not contending for a title this year, he'll get plenty of minutes in games that actually mean something – starting tonight.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I want to see him start the offense from the backcourt like did so well in the SPL. Hit Nance and Ingram with some touchdown passes.

He tried a couple in preseason that got picked off. Those are going to be tougher to do regularly against NBA talent, although Kuzma runs the floor so well they should be able to connect on a few.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

He tried a couple in preseason that got picked off. Those are going to be tougher to do regularly against NBA talent, although Kuzma runs the floor so well they should be able to connect on a few.

They should be on the floor together more often then not. We're not going to get it though with Luke's wholesale subs. Kuz gets to play with JR and JC who never pass.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Sorry VLF but are you referencing that one post that GT made about Lonzo being winded his first day back to practice after recovering from his ankle injury? If so that is one instance where he was winded after being out for a week. He is no longer winded folks. Nothing to see here, Zo is good to go and not "prone" to being winded.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Sorry VLF but are you referencing that one post that GT made about Lonzo being winded his first day back to practice after recovering from his ankle injury? If so that is one instance where he was winded after being out for a week. He is no longer winded folks. Nothing to see here, Zo is good to go and not "prone" to being winded.

Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Laker Film Room‏ @LakerFilmRoom 3h3 hours ago
Luke said that Lonzo is in the shape to play about 25 minutes right now.

So it is in fact a stamina/conditioning issue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 470, 471, 472 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 471 of 1688
Jump to: