OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 477, 478, 479 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
One of the things I notice about Lonzo is he seems to learn and improve on his mistakes quickly. I expect him to have a good game today if hes not hurt.

he got hurt?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
defense wrote:
One of the things I notice about Lonzo is he seems to learn and improve on his mistakes quickly. I expect him to have a good game today if hes not hurt.

he got hurt?

Ankle. Again.

He should be fine tho I think.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
you can't be labeled the savior, face of the franchise and debut with 3 pts, cmon now! That was pathetic

Kobe didn’t score in his debut and only had 6 points through his first three games combined. And he was always a scorer.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

Lonzo is right where he needs to be... I'd like the shooting to be a lot better, but I never expected him to be a scorer.

The problem for Lonzo is going to be that bum Julius Randle...
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

I just don't understand why Kuzma didn't get the start at the 3 and why Nance had so many more minutes then Randle. If we're trying to win, the Deng doesn't see the court.

You need guys out there that will at least try to score when Lonzo gets them a good look. Deng and Nance are basically non factors offensively.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Snoop Dogg on Lonzo Ball just now: “His daddy put him in the lion’s den with porkchop drawers on”

Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

Lonzo looked good. His nerves got the best of him with those two free throws and that missed layup, otherwise he took good shots....rebounded well and set up guys for good shots. If Lopez could have shot better early and Deng wasn't screwing everything up offensively his numbers would have started looking pretty beastly.

6-10-12

Should have been his opening line if he'd have played a few more minutes and Lopez/Deng/BI weren't stinking it up. Have some balls luke and make a starting lineup change please.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
I just don't understand why Kuzma didn't get the start at the 3 and why Nance had so many more minutes then Randle. If we're trying to win, the Deng doesn't see the court.

You need guys out there that will at least try to score when Lonzo gets them a good look. Deng and Nance are basically non factors offensively.

No he actually needs the ball stoppers of the lineup to stop trying to score every time he gives them the ball. The team was considerably worse when Randle was on the floor and he wasn’t even trying to guard Blake. At least Nance put out some kind of effort when he guarded him.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

No midrange game. He doesn't have that pull-up floater that almost all elite PG have. Maybe Patrick Beverly was a bit too much for him. Lets see how he does against the Suns. At this point, I just want a decent PG. He doesn't have to be spectacular.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Lonzo needs to be a scorer and a threat. That will open up his game and make him a star. Just being a passer isnt enough, long gone ate the days of pass first PG's that are not a scoring threat. He should relentlessly attack the defense any chance he gets. Mid range, floaters, all that, he's gotta have it.
Passing comes naturally for him but he does have some scoring tools, he is able to drive to the basket and attack the defense. Well it is what he needs to focus on the most. Passing for him will always be there.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
No midrange game. He doesn't have that pull-up floater that almost all elite PG have. Maybe Patrick Beverly was a bit too much for him. Lets see how he does against the Suns. At this point, I just want a decent PG. He doesn't have to be spectacular.
Lol. You can't be serious after all the vitrol you spewed towards our last guard.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Lonzo needs to be a scorer and a threat. That will open up his game and make him a star. Just being a passer isnt enough, long gone ate the days of pass first PG's that are not a scoring threat. He should relentlessly attack the defense any chance he gets. Mid range, floaters, all that, he's gotta have it.
Passing comes naturally for him but he does have some scoring tools, he is able to drive to the basket and attack the defense. Well it is what he needs to focus on the most. Passing for him will always be there.

He's not a scorer folks. That's not his game at all.

Would you ask Jason Kidd to be a scorer?

You can ask all you want, but it won't happen for several, several years, if ever.

He's got a unique game that REQUIRES runners and, mostly, shooters everywhere, and he just doesn't have that.

All that being said, playing the defensively boisterous Beverly in his first game will ultimately be a great blessing in disguise. If Ball didn't have a big chip on his shoulder before, he's got one now.

I just wish the team was built in a way that played to his strengths, so we could watch him effectively respond to "the world" trying to punk him out.

I've let it be known ad nauseam, but I'll say it again (and maybe again and again): With exception of Bryant, all three rookies should start with Pope and Deng. This lineup will play to Ball's strengths and give the team the best, most versatile, defensive effort.

Last edited by Joe Pesci on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

How about having Lonzo actually getting the ball back in the half court and his teammates actually shooting the damn ball when they are given the open look from him?

That would be a good start instead of constantly harping on Lonzo needing shooters or him having to be a scorer.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Not having a veteran point guard as a backup is really going to hurt Lonzo and his development. Last night it became apparent how truly bad this roster is, we had more talent last year which is the scary part. We bought a used car from Magic Johnson...
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
Not having a veteran point guard as a backup is really going to hurt Lonzo and his development. Last night it became apparent how truly bad this roster is, we had more talent last year which is the scary part. We bought a used car from Magic Johnson...

I feel like every post should be prefaced with: it's one game.

But this is what concerns me, I don't understand how anyone looked at our roster and thought it was going to be competitive and good offensively. I saw two main problems: defense and no shooting (and therefore so spacing). Our defense wasn't even that bad last night, Clippers only shot 40% (that's a scary thought). But the 3 point shooting - only 16 attempts.

Last night made it hard to envision how we're even going to score. Lopez is really the only guy who can score consistently. Clarkson is going to have to be the #2 scorer. We're going to have to play small/quicker line-ups to create transition and spacing.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:

Magic traded our scoring threat because he wasn't leader. He got his leader but then gave his leader nothing to work with.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Magic traded our scoring threat because he wasn't leader. He got his leader but then gave his leader nothing to work with.

Maybe take a chance and play Kuzma more? What's the worse that can happen...a late first round player not being that great.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

I agree what good is a great passer if the recipients can't do anything with the passes? Magic was great with all those great scorers, you'd think he'd be as good on this team? Lonzo is not going to be a big time scorer, 12-14 ppg is about what we get out of him, so the Lakers better find people who can put that ball in the hole, otherwise Lonzo won't be much. Like I said it's a mater of time before Lavar starts bringing this up, give him a couple of weeks and 10 loses and he will back up his son.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

Can't wait for Patty to get ignored again till the next Laker game of course.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I generally like Pat Bev as he is a self-made man, but he is a bit of a histrionic and someone who likes to pick on non-stars. What did Lonzo do to deserve such enmity? (have Lavar as his dad)?

He's a perfect Doc Rivers player. It's all of that.

Frontrunner supreme with a massive chip on his shoulder.

He's going to try to kill CP3 the next time they meet. Like literally.

Yeah, he's got issues. He did what I was expecting. Probably had a six pack of Red Bulls before tipoff so he couldn't wait before taking it to the next level with Zo. Whatever. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Lonzo's size will be a great advantage for him moving forward. Especially with added strength and explosion. Bev's got it coming. The worst part for me was listening to C-Webb hype that weak ass ish up. Gosh, I miss Chick.

see Lonzo has to learn from this and grow. With experience he will learn to deal with these issues. If he was seasoned he would have backed him in and put his little ass in the post.

All of that is coming. I have no doubt. He went through a similar transition with the UCLA team and, according to his HS coach, the same thing there too. Of course, at this elite level, it's going to take longer and the strains of the process will be significantly more pronounced but, at the end of it all, he's going to be pulling the likes of Beverly around by his jock. It won't be long too before the refs give him a little love too.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

I liked Lonzo's play yesterday. I'm glad to see him still going down and getting boards (something he did in summer league and preseason). Also did a good job attempting to block some shots and just involve himself in all elemetns of the game. The shot will eventually start falling, and we know he can push the ball so that's good.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

What I liked about him was that he was more than eager to help rebound and block guys like DJ. He even fouled him hard.

I'm all in on Lonzo. He's the least of my worries.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What I liked about him was that he was more than eager to help rebound and block guys like DJ. He even fouled him hard.

I'm all in on Lonzo. He's the least of my worries.

I agree.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

I don't feel like trying to re-watch that game, but Ball seemed to be pretty solid creating out of PnRs last night. I especially liked his give n' go with Larry early in the 3rd Q.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
Today wasnt a good game for the team as a whole including ball. What excuses are people making?

come on epak...there are dozens in the last couple hours laying blame at the feet of the other 14 players for Lonzo's lack of production. The narrative has quickly switched from SL "he makes everyone better" to "he needs better teammates" since preseason began.

Do you not understand how assists work? I know you're a Clarkson fan so anything besides volume scoring probably doesn't do it for you, but players have to be willing to let him create the shot (let's not even get into actually making the shot). Lopez was the only one who met that small requirement.

And there's been no narrative change. From the moment he was drafted some of us have stressed that even scrubs with a basic ability to take and make open jumpshots would be more useful than many of these players. I saw Kevin McHale basically say the same thing last Friday so maybe he's a secret LG apologist.

Last edited by greenfrog on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 477, 478, 479 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 478 of 1688
Jump to: