OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

I'm not worried about Lonzo. The team severly lacks 3pt shooting which will hurt his game alot. I just don't get why Kuz and Lonzo didn't have more court time together when they clearly have the best chemistry on the team.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
espn had a graphic that said

"the man who shut down lonzo"

sports coverage is mad weird these days fam

Well, can't blame them. Lakers gets clicks. Lonzo gets clicks.
But can someone explain to me what Patty actually did to deter Lonzo's game? I mean, there were a couple of plays where Patty overplaying Lonzo allowed for Brook or Nance (I forget which one) to get an open look because Patty didn't switch off in time.

I thought Lonzo actually got the better of the matchup. He got ripped clean once by Beverly, but he fried him a couple of times and drew some fouls. Zo missed what should have been a fairly simple layup, missed a floater, and got tapped on a three. He also had some nice passes and hit a heads that should have been an assist but the guy blew the layup, passed the ball needlessly (looking at you Nance, in the first quarter) or missed the open jumper. Obviously it wasn't a great performance, but Beverly, the self proclaimed first team defense guy, didn't do much against Ball.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

ESPN is tabloid, folks.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo, Lakers Take Lessons from Rough Opener

Quote:
From the opening tip-off of Lonzo Ball’s NBA debut, the Lakers’ star rookie was hounded by one of the best defenders in the league.

First Team All-Defensive point guard Patrick Beverley was practically in Ball’s jersey throughout the night, barking a endless supply of trash talk the whole way.

Ball finished the night with only three points. He did, however, add nine rebounds and four assists with just two turnovers in the Lakers’ 108-92 loss to the LA Clippers on opening night.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/171019-postgame-wrap-lakers-clippers
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

If guys were hitting shots he likely finishes with 8 assists, for a rookie in his first game, I thought he played relaxed and wasn’t forcing anything.... it was a good game in terms of playing within the system.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Having trouble thinking of a player I've disliked as much as I dislike Beverley.

The league should do a better of job of managing players who seek to instigate altercations.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If guys were hitting shots he likely finishes with 8 assists, for a rookie in his first game, I thought he played relaxed and wasn’t forcing anything.... it was a good game in terms of playing within the system.

Agreed, I thought he played fine. If they pressure him to force more opportunities for himself then we may actually see a bad game.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Having trouble thinking of a player I've disliked as much as I dislike Beverley.

The league should do a better of job of managing players who seek to instigate altercations.

I remember when Laker fans ( including me) were hoping the Lakers traded for him.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I remember when Laker fans ( including me) were hoping the Lakers traded for him.

There are players that you dislike, but wouldn't necessarily mind having them as an asset. Karl Malone, Matt Barnes are a few that come to mind. I'm pretty sure I'd still have a dislike for Beverley if he played for us. But that's just me.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
epak wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
espn had a graphic that said

"the man who shut down lonzo"

sports coverage is mad weird these days fam

Well, can't blame them. Lakers gets clicks. Lonzo gets clicks.
But can someone explain to me what Patty actually did to deter Lonzo's game? I mean, there were a couple of plays where Patty overplaying Lonzo allowed for Brook or Nance (I forget which one) to get an open look because Patty didn't switch off in time.

I thought Lonzo actually got the better of the matchup. He got ripped clean once by Beverly, but he fried him a couple of times and drew some fouls. Zo missed what should have been a fairly simple layup, missed a floater, and got tapped on a three. He also had some nice passes and hit a heads that should have been an assist but the guy blew the layup, passed the ball needlessly (looking at you Nance, in the first quarter) or missed the open jumper. Obviously it wasn't a great performance, but Beverly, the self proclaimed first team defense guy, didn't do much against Ball.

Right on!
And I love what GT tweeted out an hour ago, cant wait for the video.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
From the opening tip-off of Lonzo Ball’s NBA debut, the Lakers’ star rookie was hounded by one of the best defenders in the league.

First Team All-Defensive point guard Patrick Beverley was practically in Ball’s jersey throughout the night, barking a endless supply of trash talk the whole way.

Ball finished the night with only three points. He did, however, add nine rebounds and four assists with just two turnovers in the Lakers’ 108-92 loss to the LA Clippers on opening night.

All I could think about is why no laker was putting Beverly on his ass. You can't let all that barking go on from a small scrub. Lonzo should have done it but at least someone from lakes like randle or lopez should have sent a message. Can't have all that going on on our home court.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

sad part is we drafted him but that bum mitch traded him
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
I just don't understand why Kuzma didn't get the start at the 3 and why Nance had so many more minutes then Randle. If we're trying to win, the Deng doesn't see the court.

You need guys out there that will at least try to score when Lonzo gets them a good look. Deng and Nance are basically non factors offensively.

Because Kuzma isn’t good enough to earn the start.

There is nothing at this stage that Deng can do better then Kuzma. On top of that, Lonzo and Kuzma have good chemistry and he can finish.

Deng is a better 3 point shooter and defender.

Maybe 5 years ago.

And in the preseason

Deng can barely move out there.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

All I could think about is why no laker was putting Beverly on his ass. You can't let all that barking go on from a small scrub. Lonzo should have done it but at least someone from lakes like randle or lopez should have sent a message. Can't have all that going on on our home court.

Good point, there's taking the higher road, which Zo did. But you need to know your team has your back and won't let dudes push you around. You see this every game in ice hockey, younger teams get bullied when they dont have tough veterans around.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
textbook wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Good point, there's taking the higher road, which Zo did. But you need to know your team has your back and won't let dudes push you around. You see this every game in ice hockey, younger teams get bullied when they dont have tough veterans around.

I thought the NBA was trying to get rid of flopping. Yet I see PB flopping about.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LB2 wrote:
textbook wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

I thought the NBA was trying to get rid of flopping. Yet I see PB flopping about.

Yeah, that was bull. He clearly flopped twice. I'll tell you what, metta is out there and none of that is going on. He'd get quiet real quick.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
epak wrote:
LB2 wrote:
textbook wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, that was bull. He clearly flopped twice. I'll tell you what, metta is out there and none of that is going on. He'd get quiet real quick.

This team is soft in all aspects
ltsmash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

While Ball's debut was not exactly stellar, there are some encouraging signs. Ball basically did not play the entire preseason so he is a little behind the eight ball compared to everyone else. I liked how active he was on the floor. You can tell from his activity level that he is the kind of player who will do all of the little things to help his team. His ability to rebound will be very important as it leads to transition - as long as everyone runs with him. Similarly, his help defense is not bad for a 19 year old rookie. Despite his generally crappy offensive stats, I'm not sure what we can realistically expect him to do with that starting lineup and asinine offense.

That starting lineup really made no sense to me at all. Ball is a ball-movement type point guard, as opposed to the CP3 type. The starting lineup, where Lopez is the best perimeter shooter, is a complete misuse of each and every player. Luke basically stacked the deck against his own team to start the game. It feels like Luke has in his mind the type of offense he wants to run, and he'll run that offense even if he does not have the right personnel for it.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

He looks really good! His 3ball looks great too, his misses only rim out, and he looks like the best shooter in practice drills.
He just had no reps from that range in summer league.. I'm really confident he's going to be a high 30s shooter eventually

3 nice P/R passes so far too. Good transition passes. Love him tonight
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

His game is nice.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

He needs to accelerate hard coming off screens.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Ingram!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Love this kid.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Oooh weeeeeee
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

He's really fun.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 480 of 1688
Jump to: