OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 782, 783, 784 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

I was at the game last night and Lonzo is going to be fine. He is so clam and cool. You can't teach that. It's like he dissects each play. I was fine with him taking shots and handling the ball each time down because I know he is going to give the team a chance. The shooting will come in time.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I would say that Zo is way ahead of the curve, a lot of people think he's supposed to step in and put up crazy numbers. it won't be long until we see games were he goes off for 30 or 40.

I'd say that he has been all along with the exception of shooting. I think he struggled with his jumper and with finishing due to underestimating NBA length and athleticism. And then I think he lost confidence. But his rebounding, assists, and defense have been there all along. Now he's progressing offensively and regaining his confidence.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I was at the game last night and Lonzo is going to be fine. He is so clam and cool. You can't teach that. It's like he dissects each play. I was fine with him taking shots and handling the ball each time down because I know he is going to give the team a chance. The shooting will come in time.

Free throws, shooting and handles are the bigger things for him to improve on but everything else is so good.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Meh. Most people that supported Lonzo knew that his shot and scoring would come around.

What's funny was that half of this board, not just in this thread were calling him a bust, not an NBA player, worse than Anthony Bennett, etc. He had hardly played more than 10 games in the regular season and these "experts" were saying ridiculous things.

He looks like the total package right now.

"experts" is the wrong word, too many letters.
The more sensible word only has 6 letters...

Amazing how all the usual suspects just go silent whenever Lonzo has a good game, isn't it? It's so easy to criticize and call him bust but it's so hard to comment positively on even a little improvement.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Meh. Most people that supported Lonzo knew that his shot and scoring would come around.

What's funny was that half of this board, not just in this thread were calling him a bust, not an NBA player, worse than Anthony Bennett, etc. He had hardly played more than 10 games in the regular season and these "experts" were saying ridiculous things.

He looks like the total package right now.

"experts" is the wrong word, too many letters.
The more sensible word only has 6 letters...

Amazing how all the usual suspects just go silent whenever Lonzo has a good game, isn't it? It's so easy to criticize and call him bust but it's so hard to comment positively on even a little improvement.

The premature bust proclaimers do need to eat some crow. It is so irresponsible/annoying to call someone a bust after 20 games. Especially while Lonzo has been leading his draft class in so many different categories aside from shooting.

That said, Lonzo will continue to be inconsistent. We won't get a really good idea of what his game will look like until next season.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

Hard dribble pull-up going right was beautiful to see. Knowing that he's working on perceived weaknesses like that gives me all the confidence in the world that he's going to be great for us.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

Has Lonzo made a change in his mid range form shot as I read?
And that it is different from his 3 point form.
How can his free throw shooting be so bad when he is stationary.

It is too bad the Lakers can't hire a good shooting coach to help out the young players. They are at the point where they have to
work on fundamentals.

The Lakers FO should realize this important fact and make coaching changes to find coaches who improve players.
Don't need a brilliant basketball mind now.

Just a coach who teaches good fundamentals.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo Ball 12.2 PT .462 of 10.4 FG .429 of 1.4 FT .385 of 5.2 3P 7.0/0.8 RB 8.0 AS 1.6 BL 1.6 ST 2.2 TO 2.8 PF 36.2 MN 5/5 GS (last 5 games)

Thats looking good. Its not crazy to say that next year he can avg 15ppg with good % and close to Triple Double numbers.

Even going back the last 10 games he's at 35% plus from 3. He was dangerous in college, I'm not surprised he's finding his shot now.

Free throw shooting - statistically terrible, but he rarely goes to the line. Ingram's and Randle's ft shooting in the mid-60's on volume hurts us more. I also suspect if Lonzo did shoot 6 free throws a night, rather than just one or two, he'd be hitting more than 3 of them.

I've seen a lot of knocks on Lonzo lately, mostly outside of LG, and I tend to remind ppl on other forums and fans of other teams that he is the youngest player ever to record a triple double, he is elite rebounding for a PG, his assists are very close to top 5 NBA, his shot blocking is great for a PG, his steals are decent too, he isn't all that bad on defense for a guy who just turned 20, and he's running a team at the league's fastest pace, per coaches wishes. I might have a laugh about Lonzo's ft percentage, but bust talk is what's really laughable.
CHRISTYLE70
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
MJST wrote:
That mid range he took was beautiful.

And Charles Barkley said he cant shoot going right.

And Charles wasn’t wrong. I’ve been a big Lonzo fan since before he was at UCLA and I’ve seen him make very few shots going right in the mid range, and none of them ever looked as good as that one yesterday.

Theres a big difference between saying a person cant do something just because they dont do it. its like saying he cant dunk because he doesnt when we all know he can. Thats a part of his game that wasnt necessary at the college level and he will probably add that to his game in the NBA he can get that shot anytime he wants it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

If his shots are steadying at over 40%FG... what's the chance at ROY??
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

None of his triple double games were as impactful as his performance last night.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

None, Simmons has it in the bag already barring injury of course.

I think Mitchell or Tatum would be the front runner if Simmons was DQ'd.

That said, this current run by Lonzo is looking great.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

Nice play by Lonzo. Wished he tried to dunk it, but it was still a good look. Shame that we had to burn a timeout on Ingram's shoe though.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

You realize Ben Simmons is still alive right?

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
No fear for taking those last shots. That’s a Kobe-esque theme.

I thought he looked somewhat hesitant late in the 4th. Was great to see how aggressive and confident he was in OT.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
No fear for taking those last shots. That’s a Kobe-esque theme.

I thought he looked somewhat hesitant late in the 4th. Was great to see how aggressive and confident he was in OT.

He's not taking that open 3 they're giving him as the defense goes under the screen. He'll have to stay consistent in taking and making them for his man to go over the screen. That should open up the paint more.

I'm surprised at the recent 3 ball %. I was thinking it was going to be his layup % that would bring the overall fg% up. Yesterday it was the reverse. His in the paint % was bad.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Zo hasn't even scratched the surface yet..Dude is going to be a problem. But, man, how can his pull up look so beautiful and his regular j so terrifying?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Zo needs to improve his explosiveness off of one foot. That's his biggest problem when he attacks the paint.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Zo needs to improve his explosiveness off of one foot. That's his biggest problem when he attacks the paint.

+1
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
None of his triple double games were as impactful as his performance last night.

Had the same thought. He looked good, and not because he made shots. He aggressively dictated play and looked confident running offense and directing guys. He looks like he’s adjusting well to NBA speed the past few games.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

Simmons aside, you realize Kuzma is way ahead of Ball as a rookie of the year candidate, right?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

Simmons aside, you realize Kuzma is way ahead of Ball as a rookie of the year candidate, right?

Lol, ok ok
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
governator wrote:

I love Kuz, but Ball hitting 35% from deep is better than Kuz, imo. We'll see if Lonzo can keep it up.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lonzo Ball says he feels more comfortable shooting, picking his spots and figuring out what works and doesn’t at the NBA level.

He had seven points in OT last night and is nine for 20 from three-point range the last three games.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

+1

I don't think that's the issue per se. With his size and handle he's getting open on the drive which is very encouraging. He just needs to have Josh Hart tutor him on initiating the bump at the finish. He's trying to sneak his shot by and guys are too good to let that happen at this level.

It's actually a really common issue for guys who come into the league young and less physically developed. His struggles at the FT line may also be causing him to avoid contact. He even passes up layups to through the ball out way more than he should.

These things are correctable though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 782, 783, 784 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 783 of 1688
Jump to: