OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 893, 894, 895 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
There is some article that puts Tatum #1 in a redraft and Lonzo still at #2, but I would take Lonzo #1. Tatum is a dime a dozen.

I think Mitchell's the only guy with a legit case alongside Lonzo, frankly.

I'd take Mitchell over any guard in the past 3 drafts. I think he's a better player than Booker, right now.
I guess if you call Simmons a "guard", I'd take him over Mitchell. But that's about it.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
There is some article that puts Tatum #1 in a redraft and Lonzo still at #2, but I would take Lonzo #1. Tatum is a dime a dozen.

I'd take Mitchell over any guard in the past 3 drafts. I think he's a better player than Booker, right now.
I guess if you call Simmons a "guard", I'd take him over Mitchell. But that's about it.

Lonzo > Mitchell regardless of the narrative
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

Hard to compare Lonzo with Mitchell. The latter is a scoring machine while Lonzo is less of a scorer but facilitator, etc.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
I thought he had way more than 3 steals. Felt like 5 or 6.

Did they count the times where Zo would tip the ball out of the player's hand and the ball landed on Ingram or Randle or something?

Looked like he had more rebounds too. He was flying around everywhere. You could tell he was enjoying being back on the court again.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
Lonzo's D is a pleasure to watch, how come this was not on any scouting reports? He's a playmaker on defense, and you can't say that about many guards in the league. Actually he bulks up he's more of a wing defender that can guard smaller guys.

His defense was predicted to be a potential strength of Zo. I just don't think that anyone thought it would happen THIS soon.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

As a big DLO fan, the growth of Lonzo/BI has made it much much easier to move on from DLO. Really enjoy watching these two core guys grow (as well as Kuz/Hart).
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

When Zo starts and Hit Man goes back to the bench, we'll have two potential 5-7 apg players in the starting lineup, as well as IT's playmaking ability off the bench.

Sidenote: IT is building chemistry with Zu, I can see IT getting Kuz easy looks, Hit Man can help IT defensively, and Zu can protect the yard for IT.

So when Zo goes back into the starting lineup I expect no noticeable drop off with how we are playing right now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
As a big DLO fan, the growth of Lonzo/BI has made it much much easier to move on from DLO. Really enjoy watching these two core guys grow (as well as Kuz/Hart).

Let it be noted that you started it this time
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ha. I'm not even going in that direction. The way this team has been playing, the shrewd moves Pelinka/Magic have been making, yeah, I've moved on. I'm bullish about this summer and the Lakers again.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

This guy is transcendent. Even if he has an off game you could see it the way he plays. The way he anticipates on d. The way he passes people open. I have no doubt at all he will be a superstar in this league. A play against the hawks that stood out to me was a pick and roll with zubac. Zubac just started to roll and I didn’t think there was a pass there. Zo led him with an alley oop type pass. Zubac has to catch up to it a little but it led him right under the basket for a shot right at the basket. He missed it or got fouled I think. The point is that pass is why this guy is so amazing.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Missed watching this guy, man. Unbelievable feel for the game.

I always find it unsettling whenever Lavar gets the talking heads riled up and frothing at the mouth for Lonzo to be traded. I really hope it kind of calms down as Lonzo shows out. He is incredible and easily my favorite player to watch in the league right now. There's a lot better physical talent out there, but I think he has to be one of the smartest players I've seen in years.

Lonzo is very athletic, I have seen his head nearly hit the rim on some of his dunks. He is also very long and tall for the PG spot.

The standard digs against Lonzo are just false. The fist one is that he is a poor defender and the second one is that he is just an average athlete.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ha. I'm not even going in that direction. The way this team has been playing, the shrewd moves Pelinka/Magic have been making, yeah, I've moved on. I'm bullish about this summer and the Lakers again.

#BannersOverBillboards
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

It's been a long time since we had a player with the kind of on-court radar that Lonzo has. It's not just about the awareness and anticipation needed for hockey-assist passes and tracking players and their defenders in motion sets, but for tracking down rebounds, pass deflections, weak-side blocks, and other aspects on the defensive end.

Is Lonzo a shutdown defender? Aw, heck no - and his footwork still needs work on that, as he can be crossed over and tripped up fairly easily, like many rookies. His overall physical strength still needs improvement, so he can take the pounding in such a way that it makes other guys' flops more noticeable and less likely to get the benefit of the refs' doubts and whistles.

But he is already an above-average team defender, in some ways similar to what Horry was in his Rockets days and prime days with us. He knows how to cheat over on players, and to funnel his man to places where there are guys to help. Lonzo is not a full-on seeker/ interceptor, but he just knows how to play, and how to not hurt his team on defense.

On a young team, that is a very valuable asset to have.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
It's been a long time since we had a player with the kind of on-court radar that Lonzo has. It's not just about the awareness and anticipation needed for hockey-assist passes and tracking players and their defenders in motion sets, but for tracking down rebounds, pass deflections, weak-side blocks, and other aspects on the defensive end.

Is Lonzo a shutdown defender? Aw, heck no - and his footwork still needs work on that, as he can be crossed over and tripped up fairly easily, like many rookies. His overall physical strength still needs improvement, so he can take the pounding in such a way that it makes other guys' flops more noticeable and less likely to get the benefit of the refs' doubts and whistles.

But he is already an above-average team defender, in some ways similar to what Horry was in his Rockets days and prime days with us. He knows how to cheat over on players, and to funnel his man to places where there are guys to help. Lonzo is not a full-on seeker/ interceptor, but he just knows how to play, and how to not hurt his team on defense.

On a young team, that is a very valuable asset to have.

It's such a pleasure to watch It's why I love watching Nance because besides his highlights, you knew he was more than likely going to make a good decision. I wouldn't hesitate to say that Lonzo ALREADY has elite court awareness.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I don't agree, but I understand why you feel that way. I'm a little skeptical of Mitchell's passing ability as a lead guard, but he can score the bejesus out of the ball and is a solid enough defender.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Donovan Mitchell is potentially a great scorer, but he's short. He's not a point guard. He's like a shorter Gilbert Arenas. I mean that's great but Lonzo all day long for this Laker team.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Hard to compare Lonzo with Mitchell. The latter is a scoring machine while Lonzo is less of a scorer but facilitator, etc.

Lonzo’s real value will be seen when he gets to the All-Star game and Olympic teams.

Lonzo is someone who can dominate both ends of the floor as a Robin. He doesn’t need to dominate the ball to be effective.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Same. Ingram's chance to shine at the point otherwise might not have happened. It's the clearest upshot of the trade to me (I'm not in the "we got Kuzma in the DLO trade" tent) so far.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

DLO kinda sucks now too after his good start.

Hart is a much better fit here too than DLO would have been. Especially the striking differences in defense.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hart is a much better fit here too than DLO would have been. Especially the striking differences in defense.

I civilly disgree with the latter statement and believe that a high volume PnR scoring guard (like IT) would've been a fine partner for Lonzo.

DLo has struggled since returning from injury and he may never get to the level on offense he needs to get to. We shall see.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I civilly disgree with the latter statement and believe that a high volume PnR scoring guard (like IT) would've been a fine partner for Lonzo.

DLo has struggled since returning from injury and he may never get to the level on offense he needs to get to. We shall see.

In a starting role? Eh doubt it. Hart provides 3 and D. DLO is not even providing the 3s shooting at 27%.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed. Not relitigating DLo at all, but the fact that we have a nice young core that we can cheer for. I do think if we were truly going towards a rebuild, would have been fun to see what a D'LonzoGram trio would look like.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In a starting role? Eh doubt it. Hart provides 3 and D. DLO is not even providing the 3s shooting at 27%.

I guess if their careers ended this season...
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

adultery is a tough thing
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

AND I'm still on the fence with Lonzo. Hopefully someday he becomes
fully engaged and actually plays every moment he's on the floor. The
one pass and relax crap ticks me off...

IF he ever becomes vested in each posession maybe
he could turn into someone worth watching...I guess I'm spoiled
from watching great players who are all in every single second of
the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 893, 894, 895 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 894 of 1688
Jump to: