OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 941, 942, 943 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd like to revisit many of today's post 1 year from now.

Kid just turned 20. This summer will be a crucial one as he now knows the rigors of an NBA season, and the fact he has many areas of his game he needs to improve. He can't simply glide with skills; he needs to refine and revamp parts of his game.

I hope he tells pops to go busy himself with BBB while Lonzo and a professional trainer lock themselves in a gym.

Kobe at 18 yrs old was shooting 81% free throws and 37% on 3 pointers.

How many Kobe-level players exist?

Jermaine O' Neil, a center, at 18 yrs old, shoots a better free throw percentage 60% than Lonzo Ball at 46%.

So we're comparing centers with a PG?

I mean we get it, Lonzo's FTs suck. How was Jermaine's 3 point shooting and passing?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

If Lonzo is still shooting 46% FT at the end of next year, then we might have a problem.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
If Lonzo is still shooting 46% FT at the end of next year, then we might have a problem.

He probably won't, you see players improve with time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

These are often the same folks who hate the young rookies and clamored for more high draft picks.

It takes TIME for 19-20 year olds. Way too soon to give up after year 1.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I hope so because Lonzo Ball is a very talented point guard.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I hope so because Lonzo Ball is a very talented point guard.

I have no doubt tbh, he'll get better. Just like Julius and BI have. But it takes time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I never expected Lonzo to be a high volume scorer, but someone high volume scorers would love to play with.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

see sig
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
It seems like it should go up but even his college percentage was something that needed improving, particularly for a guard. I just felt Stu was completely dismissing it even though free throws are clearly a big pet peeve of his and he loves to rip on other team's players who shoot significantly better than Lonzo does. The kid glove stuff with Lakers players is just weird to me.

It really just started this season....I assume it is a directive from the FO. Do you ever read ESPN's Ohm Youngmisuk.....he writes like he is on the Lakers payroll....and I cannot even listen to the Popcorn Machine podcast.....it has became so bad, North Korean Government Officials are skeptical.

Ohm and Trudell are the absolute worst. Nothing but fluff when they're talking.
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
It seems like it should go up but even his college percentage was something that needed improving, particularly for a guard. I just felt Stu was completely dismissing it even though free throws are clearly a big pet peeve of his and he loves to rip on other team's players who shoot significantly better than Lonzo does. The kid glove stuff with Lakers players is just weird to me.

It really just started this season....I assume it is a directive from the FO. Do you ever read ESPN's Ohm Youngmisuk.....he writes like he is on the Lakers payroll....and I cannot even listen to the Popcorn Machine podcast.....it has became so bad, North Korean Government Officials are skeptical.

Trudell isn't objective at all. He basically follows anything that Luke Walton says.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
These are often the same folks who hate the young rookies and clamored for more high draft picks.

It takes TIME for 19-20 year olds. Way too soon to give up after year 1.

Lol it does I sually happen after bad game or string of bad games.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Trudell isn't objective at all. He basically follows anything that Luke Walton says.
actually this isnt true. what you guys are doing is hoping for someone to be extremely negative with every thing that our super young players are not good at. Because that would make you feel vindicated.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it does them no favors and it really doesnt do you any favors for a team you SAY you love.

Here's the truth. If someone has an issue with something because they are lazy, thats when you hammer them about it. If thats not the reason why, there's almost no reason to HAMMER a super young team about any of their flaws because most of their flaws wont be around in 3 to 5 years. Why waste your time crying about something that wont even be a problem purely based on growing up? doesnt make sense.

Trudell has talked about Randles lack of energy in years past, he has talked about DLo's lack of effort vs what he says he wanted to become(a start). notice the difference?

The crazy nitpicking is the reason why you have people/fans on LG and the radio losing their minds a year ago talking about get rid of julius and the exact same people are talking about how he's great and we need to keep him. same people/same fans. Trudell is not trying to end up like one of those fans that are easily swayed in any direction. Nor is he trying to be a contrarian for contrarians sake(which a lot of sports media guys are especially covering the lakers.)

Look at it like this. Brandon Ingram was launching up bricks from the ft line, bricks from 3, blowing layups, couldnt take a nice afternoon breeze blowing his way without getting completely unbalanced when going in for a layup/dunk. At times it was pathetic. But guess what he looks like now? darn near a completely different player. Once you see something like that, you start to release if these guys have the talent, and the work ethic they will find a way to become a lot better in that 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th season.

Right now, we have a lot of guys on the team that are work horses. we also have guys that have huge upsides:

Jules:workhorse/ big upside
Zo:workhorse/ big upside
BI: workhorse/ big upside
Kuz:workhorse/big upside
Josh hart: workhorse/decent to good upside
Thomas Bryant:workhorse/decent to good upside
Caruso: workhorse/decent to good upside
Zubac:workhorse/decent to good upside

Ennis: average joe worker/at his ceiling now
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
You can't have your PG be a non factor on offense and just look to pass every play. You can't have him play 37 minutes, score 4 points and take 4 shots. Not saying Ball will ever be the primary focal point of the offense, but he needs to put pressure on the defense so he can drive and kick. His 3 point shot needs to get better.

People saying trade him need to stop, he gets 2 years minimum and likely 3 before any judgement is made.

Ball needs to go into a hole after the season and work on his game. Simple as that. Put all the bs aside. Other young players have put in the work, he needs to as well.
any reason why you sound like you think ball isnt already putting in the work minus the time he had to stop due to injury? just asking. our group of young guys are work horses. they dont need to be told to work hard. they need to be told how to work smarter and how to be more specific on what things they need to work on and how to go about it. but the effort is there for these guys. but even with all that work. a person is who they are. he will probably never be D.lillard. because thats not his mentality. It's like lebron james most of his career was not a mamba like assassin like kobe. that just isnt who he is, even with all the God given talent/size.

a game like last night would still result in zo having a low scoring night. because like luke said, we were posting guys up a lot. that takes the guards out of the play. and our bigs were balling offensively speaking. if they are having their way in the paint, there is no room to slash/cut. this leaves you with 3's and some mid range jumpers. since the bigs were semi black holes which they should've been since they were making their shots. this means that there was not going to be a kick back out after the original past pass was made. so the only threes you will most likely see would be a kick from another perimeter guy swinging it, or you taking a jumper off the dribble which are more difficult shots. and once you miss a couple you start thinking why am I shooting 3's when our bigs are killing downlow? doesnt make sense. what should have happened was better defense. but truth is we were out of gas. too many injuries have finally caught up to us. all those injuries = too many mins played with too little breaks in between games.

Those games where the rotations are short, you literally need to take a lot of 3's and make them. if you dont, you will...lose. because you're too tired to play the kind of defense that is necessary to win that game. thats just life.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Looks like my pre-draft criticisms of his game were all true and then some. Luckily his defense came out of nowhere otherwise imagine the disaster of a season he would be having impact-wise.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Looks like my pre-draft criticisms of his game were all true and then some. Luckily his defense came out of nowhere otherwise imagine the disaster of a season he would be having impact-wise.

Defense is half the game. You were dead wrong about that half. Even if you have convinced yourself you were right about his offensive game, you were way off. Almost as far off as your Fultz predictions.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Defense is half the game. You were dead wrong about that half. Even if you have convinced yourself you were right about his offensive game, you were way off. Almost as far off as your Fultz predictions.

Lol. Fultz. A lot of people predicted he’s the ONE.😂😂😂. He can still be a good player though but they need to fix his mental and his mechanics. Lonzo all day, everyday including holidays.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo will turn it around. Kid will be a star. The shooting is mental IMO, he shot has always looked ugly and it used to go in. Trust me, he will improve his offense. And look at his assist, steals, rebounding and pace- kid is a great draft pick.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Lol. Fultz. A lot of people predicted he’s the ONE.😂😂😂. He can still be a good player though but they need to fix his mental and his mechanics. Lonzo all day, everyday including holidays.

Zo and Fultz both need to do this. However, Zo does a lot of the little things well already, while Fultz doesn't bring as much to the table when he isn't scoring.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
Few weeks ago , he's was super efficient and future allstar . I don't know what happened to him mentally in the last few weeks. Just falling apart offensively.

What happened is he's a young rookie who's not quite ready for the NBA game. You tend to see these ups and downs. This is happens to quite a few rookies around the league but it doesn't get mentioned because they are on teams no one pays that close attention to.

1. Point Guard - Hardest position to play as a young player
2. On a young team, no Kyrie Irving or superstar talent around him to make his life easier (See: Tatum)

Unfortunately for Lonzo, time is not on his side.

The Lakers will be making a playoff push next year and if his shooting doesn't improve by next year, he will be the one holding them back.

This offseason is imperative for him to improve on his shooting.

I pretty much agree with this and I have been a big fan of Lonzo. I am a UCLA fan and hoped for all this to happen. Now, I see that if he does not improve his shot, he will end out a bust in the league. He does not need to be an elite scorer, but he needs to be able to hit open shots. I wonder if coming back from this injury, has him playing at less than 100% and he is having a hard time adjusting??? He was looking so good before the injury. So far, this season has had 3 distinct sections for Lonzo. He looked great in the middle, but the rest of the time, he has looked very weak on offense. And it is so bad, that it is not that he can't contribute, but he is actually taking the team out of it's offense. Makes me think that he is showing poor chemistry with the other players. At least this is what I am worrying about in regards to him.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
This article is encouraging as Zo is trying to strike a balance between passing and scoring:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/20/lakers-want-lonzo-ball-to-be-more-aggressive-on-offense/

Who's idea is it for him to be more aggressive? Luke...Magic...Pelinka? I can't stand the "babying" they do for Lonzo.

If Kuzma's being more aggressive and missing shots it's oh he's just chucking and then he's getting benched by Luke. If Randle is being more aggressive and bullying down low but not making shots then it's oh he's out of control then getting benched by Luke. But for Lonzo just keep on bricking? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team.

And I don't think I'm overreacting because directly from the article:

Quote:
“Sometimes we’d like him to even be more aggressive. Even if it causes turnovers or missed shots, just to continue to get reps at doing things.”

Luke does NOT treat guys the same. Nothing wrong with that, he tries to tie into the type of human each player is and use their own characters to motivate them. I think he tough loves on Randle because he knows Randle could be great and sees him as close but not achieving for personal reasons. I think he suspects Lonzo may not respond well to that kind of criticism and he coddles him a little. He doesn't want him to lose confidence. He is hoping that his shots will eventually start falling on a more consistent basis.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
Few weeks ago , he's was super efficient and future allstar . I don't know what happened to him mentally in the last few weeks. Just falling apart offensively.

What happened is he's a young rookie who's not quite ready for the NBA game. You tend to see these ups and downs. This is happens to quite a few rookies around the league but it doesn't get mentioned because they are on teams no one pays that close attention to.

1. Point Guard - Hardest position to play as a young player
2. On a young team, no Kyrie Irving or superstar talent around him to make his life easier (See: Tatum)

Unfortunately for Lonzo, time is not on his side.

The Lakers will be making a playoff push next year and if his shooting doesn't improve by next year, he will be the one holding them back.

This offseason is imperative for him to improve on his shooting.

I pretty much agree with this and I have been a big fan of Lonzo. I am a UCLA fan and hoped for all this to happen. Now, I see that if he does not improve his shot, he will end out a bust in the league. He does not need to be an elite scorer, but he needs to be able to hit open shots. I wonder if coming back from this injury, has him playing at less than 100% and he is having a hard time adjusting??? He was looking so good before the injury. So far, this season has had 3 distinct sections for Lonzo. He looked great in the middle, but the rest of the time, he has looked very weak on offense. And it is so bad, that it is not that he can't contribute, but he is actually taking the team out of it's offense. Makes me think that he is showing poor chemistry with the other players. At least this is what I am worrying about in regards to him.

He already does. I believe it was posted a few days ago that he shoots over 40% on open 3s.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

He already does. I believe it was posted a few days ago that he shoots over 40% on open 3s.

If this is accurate, he's a perfect role player right now for two superstars who will get the bulk of the attention from the defense. Where can we find the exact stats on this?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Karl Malone shot 48% from the FT line as a rookie.

He finished as a 74% shooter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jg77 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

actually this isnt true. what you guys are doing is hoping for someone to be extremely negative with every thing that our super young players are not good at. Because that would make you feel vindicated.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it does them no favors and it really doesnt do you any favors for a team you SAY you love.

you a fictional screenwriter, or do you just make up things on LG. You feel however you prefer, but do not tell me how I "really feel". If you want to claim Ohm and Trudell are objective....I am fine with that.....I will laugh my ass off, but I am cool with it....but do not tell me what I "am doing" because you do not like what I (and most others) perceive.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Yep, like Shaq

Joking!

I think
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 941, 942, 943 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 942 of 1688
Jump to: