OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 959, 960, 961 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Should folks be reminded about Fultz?

Lonzo has a lot of work to do but he’all get there.

Agreed.

How many people said that BI was historically bad last season and that his shot was broken. Hint, it was a lot of people.

Both BI and Lonzo shot it well in college, over 40% from 3. Both struggled in their rookie seasons. I am thinking that with more experience and practice that Zo will bounce back just like BI did.

Cheers!

Difference is, Ingram actually has a good form.

Go back and read how many people trashed BI's form last season, even had the tall hair arguments in there- well he actually did change his form in the offseason.

Agreed that Lonzo's form is Fugly, but he shot over 40% in college so it can go in like that. Considering shooting was one of his strengths in college I am confident he will straighten out his shooting issues- pun intended.

Right now he is tight. He has lost his confidence, happens to young players. I am 100% confident he will turn things around in that regard.

It is kinda amazing that the things that were knocks against him coming out of college, namely his athleticism and D are now proving to be his strengths.

I disagree. He will never be a good consistent shooter with that form. His lowsy shooting in practice proves that if you ask me. Him and Thomas shooting in practice...Lonzo can’t even make half of them with no one on him in an empty gym. The form has to change or he will always be a bad shooter who can be a little streaky.

Were the season tickets to practice expensive?

Lol. Just saying if a guy is only hitting around 45% of 80+ attempts in practice he is a bad shooter. Good NBA shooters do not shoot 45% from 3 in an empty gym. Not to mention I’ve seen at least 3 videos of him laying bricks in an empty gym..
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

He’s a great rebounder at his position but imo that ability is very low impact.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo can't shoot. We shouldn't be arguing this. The numbers don't lie. His form is not good which leads to wild swings in accuracy. He can get hot as he did out of the all star break but then can go ice cold. Right now he is Ricky Rubio or Rajon Rondo nothing more. Solid players but they can be a liability as well. Next year will be telling.

He shot well in college but over how many games? Didn't he shoot poorly in HS? I don't care about the form, we know the NBA has had some odd ones that still shot well. But clanking from 3 and from the FT line is not OK.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

All those who support Lonzo not TRYING to change his shot are blind. Yes, changing his shot may not help, but there is a chance it will help him eventually become a good shooter. With his current form, he will NEVER be a good shooter.

Personally I doubt he changes it based off advice from Lavar, but I really hope he gives it a try. Maybe someone Zo would respect could convince and teach him (like a Ray Allen).

As much as the Fultz situation is weird as hell, this was a guy with a pretty fluid J willing to retool his shot just to improve it for the NBA game. While it hasn't worked so far, I like the initiative to recognize room for improvement and to work on it. With Lonzo's broke as a joke J, hope he realizes it and changes it rather than taking the lazy way out and assuming since he made it to the league with this shot, it's good enough.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Wasn't the reason that people wanted him to change his shot is because he couldn't get it off? I don't know how changing his shot does anything. He's already wide open.

The problem with Lonzo's shot is that every single thing needs to go right for him to make a basket. His footwork needs to be on point, where he catches the ball needs to be on point, his followthrough (or whatever the hell that thing is) needs to be on point. I don't see how he'll ever be consistent with a shot like that, he'll have some hot streaks but some terrible streaks too.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

How many people said that BI was historically bad last season and that his shot was broken. Hint, it was a lot of people.

Both BI and Lonzo shot it well in college, over 40% from 3. Both struggled in their rookie seasons. I am thinking that with more experience and practice that Zo will bounce back just like BI did.

Cheers!

Go back and read how many people trashed BI's form last season, even had the tall hair arguments in there- well he actually did change his form in the offseason.

Agreed that Lonzo's form is Fugly, but he shot over 40% in college so it can go in like that. Considering shooting was one of his strengths in college I am confident he will straighten out his shooting issues- pun intended.

Right now he is tight. He has lost his confidence, happens to young players. I am 100% confident he will turn things around in that regard.

It is kinda amazing that the things that were knocks against him coming out of college, namely his athleticism and D are now proving to be his strengths.

I disagree. He will never be a good consistent shooter with that form. His lowsy shooting in practice proves that if you ask me. Him and Thomas shooting in practice...Lonzo can’t even make half of them with no one on him in an empty gym. The form has to change or he will always be a bad shooter who can be a little streaky.

Lol. Just saying if a guy is only hitting around 45% of 80+ attempts in practice he is a bad shooter. Good NBA shooters do not shoot 45% from 3 in an empty gym. Not to mention I’ve seen at least 3 videos of him laying bricks in an empty gym..

I can conservatively say he shoots 200 days out of the year, and that’s likely very conservative. He probably gets in the gym 2-3 times a day on multiple days out of the year. He’s probably in the gym 400-500 times a year. You’ve seen 3 videos.

Nobody on here can speak to how ANY player on the Lakers shoots in practice.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Cheers!

I can conservatively say he shoots 200 days out of the year, and that’s likely very conservative. He probably gets in the gym 2-3 times a day on multiple days out of the year. He’s probably in the gym 400-500 times a year. You’ve seen 3 videos.

The inconsistency he showed me on 80+ attempts is all I needed to see. If you saw the video of him and Thomas shooting in practice I don’t see how you could disagree. Thomas was nearly automatic on the same amount of attempts while Lonzo couldn’t hit half. Again, no good NBA shooter would hit only around 45% of those attempts in any open shoot around.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Cheers!

Why not? What more evidence do you need besides three whole videos?! You're being irrational!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Cheers!

The inconsistency he showed me on 80+ attempts is all I needed to see. If you saw the video of him and Thomas shooting in practice I don’t see how you could disagree. Thomas was nearly automatic on the same amount of attempts while Lonzo couldn’t hit half. Again, no good NBA shooter would hit only around 45% of those attempts in any open shoot around.

80 attempts out of hundreds of thousands and 3 practice videos. Got it.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Cheers!

So every "good shooter" who's ever played in the league has always shot at least 45% in every single practice? Do you have the practice videos to prove that one too?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Cheers!

So every "good shooter" who's ever played in the league has always shot at least 45% in every single practice? Do you have the practice videos to prove that one too?

im sorry but nba caliber players dont lose any shooting contest to lil bow wow. I even remember rondo went shot for shot with Durant messing around shooting. Hell ive played with D1 players and they dont even miss a ton when shooting around. Dudes a game but hes not a good shooter
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

People saw one video and they act like they've seen him shoot in practice everyday.

He needs better footwork and some adjustments but his bigger issue is mental.

80% FT shooter in high school

67% in college

46% now.

The problem with his shot is poor balance and too much action on the wind-up. His release is actually good.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

The arguments in this thread are hilarious. You can even take out practice footage completely and just observe game footage and come to the same conclusion. Good shooters don’t miss the way he does. Guys that improve over time do make tweaks to their shot to improve, it’s not just more practice. With Zo it would just be more obvious since his whole shot, includong footwork, are so broken.

Hitting threes should be more akin to throwing a dart at a target. Right now it’s more like Zo is shooting a shotgun at a bullseye. Sometimes it will hit if the spray is just right...
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Judah wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Cheers!

im sorry but nba caliber players dont lose any shooting contest to lil bow wow. I even remember rondo went shot for shot with Durant messing around shooting. Hell ive played with D1 players and they dont even miss a ton when shooting around. Dudes a game but hes not a good shooter

Draymond Green lost to Kevin Hart.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
The arguments in this thread are hilarious. You can even take out practice footage completely and just observe game footage and come to the same conclusion. Good shooters don’t miss the way he does. Guys that improve over time do make tweaks to their shot to improve, it’s not just more practice. With Zo it would just be more obvious since his whole shot, includong footwork, are so broken.

Hitting threes should be more akin to throwing a dart at a target. Right now it’s more like Zo is shooting a shotgun at a bullseye. Sometimes it will hit if the spray is just right...

Where's the discussion moved to now? Practice videos?

I'm waiting for the discussion to move onto blaming his shooting woes on the ZO2s.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is going to be fine

Everybody Relax.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo does good things with aspects of his game, but when opponents are turning their back on you and daring you to shoot and you still throw up bricks, you've got a problem.

He he can put up 1000 shots a day this summer but if he doesn't correct his mechanics, he's just putting up 1000 crappy shots and reinforcing his bad habits. Unfortunately, he's got some built-in opposition to change thanks to his stubborn father and his own personality. The Lakers are covering for him by saying his crappy shooting isn't why they're losing because they're playing bad defense, but the fact remains -- this year he's been a crappy shooter. Ask Markelle Fultz how that's working out for him.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:

Plenty of players with "bad mechanics" who were good shooters. Only time will tell.

Shawn Marion is one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
Lonzo does good things with aspects of his game, but when opponents are turning their back on you and daring you to shoot and you still throw up bricks, you've got a problem.

He he can put up 1000 shots a day this summer but if he doesn't correct his mechanics, he's just putting up 1000 crappy shots and reinforcing his bad habits. Unfortunately, he's got some built-in opposition to change thanks to his stubborn father and his own personality. The Lakers are covering for him by saying his crappy shooting isn't why they're losing because they're playing bad defense, but the fact remains -- this year he's been a crappy shooter. Ask Markelle Fultz how that's working out for him.

Agree.
tofulakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Shawn Marion also shot it at a straight angle (like Kevin Martin) albeit from his belly button.

Lonzo is literally a curveball from his left hip.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Scherm wrote:

Agree.

Exactly. Competition won't care if he can hit 1 out of 10 shots. If he does not correct that twister shot of his this off season, we will see 4 players on 5.

It's great that he has defense, passing and all but he needs to become a complete player.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Joakim Noah shot a side-winder and he could muster 73-75% from the FT line in his prime.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Seen Lonzo shoot a normal-ish looking jumper a few times in midrange pull-ups/floaters. He has it in him for sure...

They will tweak his jumper the same way they tweaked Ingram’s last summer. Small changes. Idk if breaking his jumper down completely is a great idea because theres no way to be sure that he will ever be a shooter if you do that. The jumper may look good with no positive results on the court. Right now we know that Lonzo has had success in the past with his current form...most rookies don’t shoot as well during their rookie year, but get better with time.

Minor tweaks are ok.

Like someone else said fix his base and tweak that wind up as much as possible and see how that goes.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

One thing that is weird about Lonzo and his shooting form is that once in a while, he takes a more normal looking shot.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Guys with as bad Lonzo has shot over the past 6 games, he's still shooting a (rookie) respectable 30% from 3. For reference, this is the same exact percentage Dennis Smith is shooting as well. And also better than LeBrons rookie 28% and Kidds rookie 27%.

Don't let decency bias fool you, yes there's a lot to work on offensiveley but it's not doomsday scenario. FAR from it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 959, 960, 961 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 960 of 1688
Jump to: