OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 962, 963, 964 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Do we like him again or nah?

Decent game from him. I have no worries with Lonzo besides his shot which I know he will fix in the offseason.

With that being said I think our most important piece for the future is the 27th pick.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

The lurkers have been awfully quiet tonight. I guess you know what that means.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

We don't need to worry about his ceiling being at Rubio's level. He is already demonstrating that he can do things better than Rubio.

For a rookie, his IQ, defence, rebounding and playmaking are all exceptional. Lots to be excited about. His shooting is well below average for a rookie which is concerning, but can be easily addressed with hard work. Thankfully, he has a strong work ethic.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Fansince79 wrote:
Hate to say it, Ball is a bust for #2 draft.

You've been a fan since 1972, but clearly understand little about the game. Shame on you.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Zo is only a bust if you compare him to Magic Johnson
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

He's hit a rookie wall, but he's hitting it at the end of the season due to all the games he's lost due to injury. Unfortunately he won't have enough time to build a solid upwards trajectory to end the season, but that'll allow the doubters and haters enough time to build up their hate over the summer before being humbled by Lonzo's performance next season.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
When teams catch on that he's shooting for 45% free throws we are going to have problems late in games.

Honestly, I love to see him break out the underhand shot next season just to freak people out.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

He's hit a rookie wall, but he's hitting it at the end of the season due to all the games he's lost due to injury. Unfortunately he won't have enough time to build a solid upwards trajectory to end the season, but that'll allow the doubters and haters enough time to build up their hate over the summer before being humbled by Lonzo's performance next season.

Hes also played a ton of minutes lately (42 tonight). Normally lottery picks that have deficiencies start the season off the bench. Really helped BI last year and is helping Josh Jackson this year. It didnt help that the FO wanted to showcase him from the start.

Anyways Im a still impressed with the kid. I think he will be as good as Jason Kidd.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
32 wrote:
When teams catch on that he's shooting for 45% free throws we are going to have problems late in games.

Honestly, I love to see him break out the underhand shot next season just to freak people out.

That would be awesome! lol
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Almost had the triple. Not bad tbh.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

So so game for Lonzo. Not bad. Not great. The FTs are so disappointing.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
So so game for Lonzo. Not bad. Not great. The FTs are so disappointing.

I think he needs to work on the mid-range, floater, and FT more than the 3 pt shot to be honest.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Hes also played a ton of minutes lately (42 tonight). Normally lottery picks that have deficiencies start the season off the bench. Really helped BI last year and is helping Josh Jackson this year. It didnt help that the FO wanted to showcase him from the start.

Anyways Im a still impressed with the kid. I think he will be as good as Jason Kidd.

It's up to him, but I agree that he has a reasonable shot at Kidd and a not unreasonable shot at an even greater career performance (health permitting, obvs).
TheGoat1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Fansince79 wrote:

We have had 3 #2 picks recently. The first year for each looks like this. DLO was 13/3/3 but with horrible defense. BI was 9/4/2 with defensive flashes. Lonzo is 10/7/7 with great defense.

Of the 3, Lonzo, is having the better rookie year and he is on a better team.

Lonzo is also 1 year older than Ingram and Russell were as Rookies. That makes a difference. It sucks, but 20 year old Dlo/Ingram >>> Lonzo.

Lonzo's shooting & finishing is historically poor. All you people out there expecting him to suddenly become an 80% FT shooter and 45% shooter are dreaming at this point. Given his limited skills it would be a miracle of which has maybe never been witnessed in the league before. He is rudimentary when it comes to putting the ball in the hoops in any capacity. For all our sakes, hopefully he does.

Last edited by TheGoat1 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Zo is only a bust if you compare him to Magic Johnson
Happens a lot around here.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

TheGoat1 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fansince79 wrote:

We have had 3 #2 picks recently. The first year for each looks like this. DLO was 13/3/3 but with horrible defense. BI was 9/4/2 with defensive flashes. Lonzo is 10/7/7 with great defense.

Lonzo is also 1 year older than Ingram and Russell were as Rookies. That makes a difference. It sucks, but 20 year old Dlo/Ingram >>> Lonzo.

Lonzo's shooting & finishing is historically poor. All you people out there expecting him to suddenly become an 80% FT shooter and 45% shooter are dreaming at this point. Given his limited skills it would be a miracle of which has maybe never been witnessed in the league before. The guy is rudimentary when it comes to putting the ball in the hoops in any capacity. For all our sakes, hopefully he does.

He's not a scorer. I agree with the criticisms about his shooting but we need to weigh the level of criticism proportionally. Scoring isn't, hasn't been, and never will be a major part of his game. His scoring gets 99% of the criticism but it's like 20% of his game. He only needs to become a 14-16ppg guy on league average efficiency to be an all-star caliber player.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I dont care if mans miss a thousand layups or a thousand fts he gotta put the ball on the rim when he get that step mayne

he leaving like 6 points in layups on the floor every night

but he also was crazy enough to try to dunk on AD the other night so I aint worried
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Fansince79 wrote:

Hate to say it, but you're wrong
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Very decent game by Zo -- I was hopiing he'd mix up his offense with the 15 footer, steal/dunk, cut to the basket dunk, hard drive layup etc...
Fansince79
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm saying he's a bust for #2 draft so far. Can't shoot freaking FT, unable drive to the hoop, and no fire or passion. Long way to go. Hope he'll prove me wrong.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Zo has a lot of work to do but who in the NBA doesn't.
He's a work in progress but when he gets it together, in a year or two, his stat line in almost every category will be off the charts
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

TheGoat1 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fansince79 wrote:

Lonzo's shooting & finishing is historically poor. All you people out there expecting him to suddenly become an 80% FT shooter and 45% shooter are dreaming at this point. Given his limited skills it would be a miracle of which has maybe never been witnessed in the league before. He is rudimentary when it comes to putting the ball in the hoops in any capacity. For all our sakes, hopefully he does.

He shot 80% from the free throw line two years ago in high school on twice as many total free throws as he has taken this season. He shot 55% field goal percentage last year at UCLA. If he had shot this poorly his whole life, I would ageee that turning it around would be very unlikely. But he has shown he can shoot the ball. Just needs to get his mojo back.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Fansince79 wrote:
I'm saying he's a bust for #2 draft so far. Can't shoot freaking FT, unable drive to the hoop, and no fire or passion. Long way to go. Hope he'll prove me wrong.

He can drive to the hoop, he just doesn’t finish, but he does create opportunities for others. Probably doesn’t matter to you.

Also his defense is excellent but I’m sure you’re getting your analysis from guys like Steven a smith.
TheGoat1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fansince79 wrote:

Lonzo's shooting & finishing is historically poor. All you people out there expecting him to suddenly become an 80% FT shooter and 45% shooter are dreaming at this point. Given his limited skills it would be a miracle of which has maybe never been witnessed in the league before. The guy is rudimentary when it comes to putting the ball in the hoops in any capacity. For all our sakes, hopefully he does.

He's not a scorer. I agree with the criticisms about his shooting but we need to weigh the level of criticism proportionally. Scoring isn't, hasn't been, and never will be a major part of his game. His scoring gets 99% of the criticism but it's like 20% of his game. He only needs to become a 14-16ppg guy on league average efficiency to be an all-star caliber player.

That is true, but given where he is at its a very steep hill to climb. In todays NBA, not sure you can win with such a limited PG. As far as putting the ball in the hoop, it's possible that Lonzo doesn't get much better ala Rubio or becomes a passable shooter like Kidd, or is prime Derek Fisher(not good) as a layup finisher.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Fansince79 wrote:

We are in the one-and-done era of the NBA. The high draft picks are all about potential. It's a mistake to focus one what they can't do. Almost all of them are works in progress, and they are going to have holes in their game. Instead, you should focus on what they can do.

I was deeply concerned about Ball in November or so because he wasn't doing anything well. He had occasional good games, but for the most part he sucked. Then he started playing well defensively. Everything else has still been up and down. But he is already at the point where he can do one thing at a high level in the NBA. There is time for the rest of his game to fall into place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 962, 963, 964 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 963 of 1688
Jump to: