OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1117, 1118, 1119 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

christopherorman wrote:
I know I'm curious why Simmons is an F, but I have my theories.

I am more curious how Monk got such a good offensive grade....I like Monk, but dude was terrible most of last season.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Any news on Lonzo's knee?

Last I read on here was a successful knee scope and will be ready for training camp
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

christopherorman wrote:
I think we should wait and read Cranjis' explanation before writing them off, which would be the very definition of an "open mind" instead of outright from the get calling it a "big hot steaming bowl of excrement." My understanding is the system takes raw data and then tries to convert it into something easily digestible for the average fan. I know I'm curious why Simmons is an F, but I have my theories. Even then, the system may have outliers and need adjustment, with Simmons being the first, maybe?

If you publish grades, if your system produces implausible results, and if you cannot explain it coherently, then "big hot steaming bowl of excrement" may be too kind. I don't know who Cranjis is, but from what I read on his (or her) feed, I did not see any indicia of sophistication. It looked more like someone on a message board trying to justify his (or her) existing biases. It must be a Laker fan because there was an entry for Ingram talking about he was going to make a leap this year.

The feed has some brutal responses mocking these grades. It's hard to resist when you read comments like this:

Quote:
Talent doesn’t = impact. The actual impact & results will be impacted by volume & situation, which these attempt to neutralize

So this is someone leaning back in a chair with a beer and potato chips and publishing his/her opinions about the "talent" of various players. Wow, that's a useful addition to the discussion.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
I predict More ucla off ball Zo this year. TS% and ppg wil go up too. Believe it!

Maybe his bench press can go up to 500 pounds like it did with his dad.

Quote:
Ball said that James was “too weak” to beat him

Quote:

"Back in my heyday can’t nobody hold me, 270 benching 500,” Ball said in an interview with Fanatics View.

Ball was then asked if he had some visual evidence of said bench pressing feats.

"Don’t need no videos, it’s all up here,” Ball said. “You want to come see me back in my heyday? I was a bad mamajama. I’m going to let you know. My will to win was too hard man. Man, 1-on-1 I’d be on myself all day.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJa55q_d_1Q

Is this dude really worth quoting? He said Lonzo is better than Steph Curry. He said he is better 1-on-1 than Michael Jordan. Said LiAngelo is a 1-and-done NBA player. Said if you paid $500 for shoes you will have them delivered by november. At this point, whatever LaVar says is about as from from the truth as you can get.

I never take him seriously and he is obviously just trolling. I actually liked him more after the video when he said Lebron was too weak to beat him.

I was laughing at your list of ridiculous comments. This is not even an attempt to put him down; I think LaVar could be a great comedian.

Lavar's antics have gotten old he has little impact anymore most people don't take him seriously kind of sad in a weird sort of way

And despite all the ridiculous WWE type antics he still has received his 15 mins of fame/notoriety he so desperately desires.

Still gets quoted, booked and sought after by the media. Have no clue how his BBB business or Junior bball league are actually doing financially. But I will take a guess he is making money with both.

Odd world we live in.

Id highly doubt either of those ventures are making money... in fact they are likely bleeding money big time. Those businesses are just propped up from their facebook reality show revenue and Lonzo's NBA money.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
I predict More ucla off ball Zo this year. TS% and ppg wil go up too. Believe it!

Quote:

Quote:

"Back in my heyday can’t nobody hold me, 270 benching 500,” Ball said in an interview with Fanatics View.

Ball was then asked if he had some visual evidence of said bench pressing feats.

"Don’t need no videos, it’s all up here,” Ball said. “You want to come see me back in my heyday? I was a bad mamajama. I’m going to let you know. My will to win was too hard man. Man, 1-on-1 I’d be on myself all day.”

Is this dude really worth quoting? He said Lonzo is better than Steph Curry. He said he is better 1-on-1 than Michael Jordan. Said LiAngelo is a 1-and-done NBA player. Said if you paid $500 for shoes you will have them delivered by november. At this point, whatever LaVar says is about as from from the truth as you can get.

I never take him seriously and he is obviously just trolling. I actually liked him more after the video when he said Lebron was too weak to beat him.

I was laughing at your list of ridiculous comments. This is not even an attempt to put him down; I think LaVar could be a great comedian.

Lavar's antics have gotten old he has little impact anymore most people don't take him seriously kind of sad in a weird sort of way

And despite all the ridiculous WWE type antics he still has received his 15 mins of fame/notoriety he so desperately desires.

Still gets quoted, booked and sought after by the media. Have no clue how his BBB business or Junior bball league are actually doing financially. But I will take a guess he is making money with both.

Odd world we live in.

Id highly doubt either of those ventures are making money... in fact they are likely bleeding money big time. Those businesses are just propped up from their facebook reality show revenue and Lonzo's NBA money.

How much do they pay the players in JBA?
christopherorman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
christopherorman wrote:
I think we should wait and read Cranjis' explanation before writing them off, which would be the very definition of an "open mind" instead of outright from the get calling it a "big hot steaming bowl of excrement." My understanding is the system takes raw data and then tries to convert it into something easily digestible for the average fan. I know I'm curious why Simmons is an F, but I have my theories. Even then, the system may have outliers and need adjustment, with Simmons being the first, maybe?

If you publish grades, if your system produces implausible results, and if you cannot explain it coherently, then "big hot steaming bowl of excrement" may be too kind. I don't know who Cranjis is, but from what I read on his (or her) feed, I did not see any indicia of sophistication. It looked more like someone on a message board trying to justify his (or her) existing biases. It must be a Laker fan because there was an entry for Ingram talking about he was going to make a leap this year.

The feed has some brutal responses mocking these grades. It's hard to resist when you read comments like this:

Quote:
Talent doesn’t = impact. The actual impact & results will be impacted by volume & situation, which these attempt to neutralize

So this is someone leaning back in a chair with a beer and potato chips and publishing his/her opinions about the "talent" of various players. Wow, that's a useful addition to the discussion.

Tim Cranjis is one of the smarter basketball analysts I've read. He has worked for D1 programs and I believe has worked on stuff with Golden Throat. He has started a website now, and has tons of Google Docs he has posted for free showing his analytics and approach (the data, not the grades).

He has been working on this system for a while. Rather than using OPOE, DPOE, PER, RPM, etc., he wanted to create something which flipped the numbers into grades. Second, there are reasons Simmons wouldn't grade well as an offensive player watching the game. Whether or not he is an F, depends. But Simmons' style of play, at least analytically, I can see as not being a modern NBA game. Again, is it an F? I'll wait and see the reasoning.

And I think all fans, whether they say someone is a "star" or a "bust" are sitting back with potato chips and making comments staring at box scores, analytics, or just watching games. Cranjis isn't perfect. He is trying to put numbers to what he sees. Whether you agree or disagree, that's fine and there are plenty of ways to respond to it.

But, I am willing to bet you have your preconceived notions already, which likely start with there is no way in hell Ball is an A on defense and a C on offense in your eyes.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

Regarding Simmons:

Quote:
Brandon's burner 🐐 🐐
@Abd01i
So you're saying that both lonzo and tatum are better than simmons?

Quote:
BBall Index
@The_BBall_Index
Not necessarily

Quote:
Brandon's burner 🐐 🐐
‏@Abd01i
What are you saying then?

Quote:
BBall Index
@The_BBall_Index
These grades are attempting to capture a player's competencies in specific areas by neutralizing for situation and usage

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@T1m_NBA
The perimeter shooting and post offense being nonexistent hurt. Post offense not as much with him categorized as a point guard. But his slashing grade is also poor across the board. His one above average area is playmaking, but it’s not enough to bring the rest up

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
‏@T1m_NBA
He’s a very unique situation* where his physical tools for his size and role within the offense lead to far greater impact grades than when we look at some of these core skills.

*only one I’ve noticed so far

TLDR; These grades don't mean one player is better than another. If you're someone who likes to compartmentalize skill sets, this may help.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

sirronstuff wrote:
This happens if you try to muzzle Lavar

Coach Wooden
christopherorman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Regarding Simmons:

Quote:
Brandon's burner 🐐 🐐
@Abd01i

Quote:
BBall Index
@The_BBall_Index
Not necessarily

Quote:
Brandon's burner 🐐 🐐
‏@Abd01i

Quote:
BBall Index
@The_BBall_Index
These grades are attempting to capture a player's competencies in specific areas by neutralizing for situation and usage

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@T1m_NBA
The perimeter shooting and post offense being nonexistent hurt. Post offense not as much with him categorized as a point guard. But his slashing grade is also poor across the board. His one above average area is playmaking, but it’s not enough to bring the rest up

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
‏@T1m_NBA
He’s a very unique situation* where his physical tools for his size and role within the offense lead to far greater impact grades than when we look at some of these core skills.

TLDR; These grades don't mean one player is better than another. If you're someone who likes to compartmentalize skill sets, this may help.

Thanks, I had missed those Twitter posts, as I'm in the process of moving. I think those posts are pretty clear. Much appreciated.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

christopherorman wrote:
But, I am willing to bet you have your preconceived notions already, which likely start with there is no way in hell Ball is an A on defense and a C on offense in your eyes.

We all have our preconceived notions. Most of us don't publish them. People who publish their ideas on the internet make themselves fair game. That is just as true of your buddy as it is of anyone else.

When someone says that Ball is a C on offense and Simmons is an F, the logical conclusion is that the person is a quack. I don't care whether this person is a friend of yours. If you publish your ideas on the internet, and they are garbage, you had best expect to get called out for it. If you say, "This will all make sense when I explain myself next month," you had better expect people to laugh at you. From what I can see on the Twitter feed, that is exactly what is happening.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

If so, then who gives a damn about this guy's grades? Note that he does not grade specific skill sets. For example, he does not give Simmons an A for finishing at to the hoop and an F for three point shots, and he doesn't give Ball a D for three point shots and a C for finishing at the hoop (or whatever grades you would assign). He gives a grade for "offense." And he is telling us that Simmons' offensive skills are an F. That is ridiculous, and I'm not even a big fan of Simmons.

That's enough of this. I've given this garbage way more attention than it deserves. Maybe one day this guy will come up with something less ridiculous, and I'll take another look at it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:

If so, then who gives a damn about this guy's grades? Note that he does not grade specific skill sets. For example, he does not give Simmons an A for finishing at to the hoop and an F for three point shots, and he doesn't give Ball a D for three point shots and a C for finishing at the hoop (or whatever grades you would assign). He gives a grade for "offense." And he is telling us that Simmons' offensive skills are an F. That is ridiculous, and I'm not even a big fan of Simmons.

That's enough of this. I've given this garbage way more attention than it deserves. Maybe one day this guy will come up with something less ridiculous, and I'll take another look at it.

If you read his pinned tweet: https://twitter.com/The_BBall_Index/status/1020721246684762112
He does say the whole data and procedure will be up later. And from reading the subsequent tweets, there seems to be a grading system for specific skill sets, which I assume will be up later.

I dont agree with everything others say, but I didn't think his work was that infuriating.

I for one appreciate the math work others do, so I won't have to. Based on the math, you can make your own judgments if need be, or if you want to. Or you can disregard it as you did. It's all good imo.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Odd world we live in.

in all reality many businesses fail no matter how well intended and no matter how nice the owner is. so let that be that.

But to the jba. how is it sustaining itself? being propped up on zo's money? perhaps. similar how the g league when it was the dleague was propped up on the nba's money or how the wnba is propped up on the nba's money. so another business thats not that far removed from what is normal in this business of hoops and leagues.

Lastly, the JBA doesnt have high actual body count in these arenas. So how does he afford to put the league on? It's called online views. Facebook is putting these games on. Remember lavar has a deal with them for the family show. He was one of the firs to kick off Facebook's reality shows. and remember for all the hate he gets and the jba is getting due to him. No one is packing out large arenas for the g league. even back in the cba days. no one was packing out arenas to go watch them play either. and these were more established leagues. same result. if you're not the big boys when it comes to hoops. aint nobody running to check out those games unless you're a basketball fanatic. like some of us here. not just regular fan. the same person that will go to a jba game is the same person that will hit up a HS tournament that no one they know is in the tournament. they just like to watch hoop. But the online views is whats carrying it. And that is the wave of the future. so you have to give credit where its due.

https://newsone.com/3815832/lavar-ball-jba-facebook-views/

Quote:
With all of its games streamed on Facebook, the JBA has averaged “between 100,000 and 200,000 views” for each contest, according to a report published in the Undefeated on Friday. When Ball’s son and star player, LaMelo, plays, his “games have closer to 800,000.”
christopherorman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
christopherorman wrote:

We all have our preconceived notions. Most of us don't publish them. People who publish their ideas on the internet make themselves fair game. That is just as true of your buddy as it is of anyone else.

When someone says that Ball is a C on offense and Simmons is an F, the logical conclusion is that the person is a quack. I don't care whether this person is a friend of yours. If you publish your ideas on the internet, and they are garbage, you had best expect to get called out for it. If you say, "This will all make sense when I explain myself next month," you had better expect people to laugh at you. From what I can see on the Twitter feed, that is exactly what is happening.

Wow man, you might want to try decaf and slow on the vitriol. This isn't life or death and it certainly doesn't matter in the long scheme of things. So what if Ball is a C and Simmons an F from an analytics guy? If your opinion is different, then so what? No need to get worked up over it. No need for name calling. It reduces the efficacy of your discourse; message board or real life.

Furthermore, if you don't like how Cranjis' analytics work and are inexact to you, you could always pull a Bill James and invent analytics matching what you personally see by extrapolating the data. That is what Cranjis is trying to do. He may fail. He may find outliers and that will create a new analytic framework. It's always about tweaking and testing the hypothesis. Whether it works and makes sense is kind of part of the process. If you see too, Cranjis is already doing that. Simmons gets an F for offense. Now he is trying to figure out why the data and valuations gave him that. I personally think there will be an interesting lesson to learn from this.

And those who like analytics get it: basketball will never be reduced to numbers. But it sure is fun to try.

And for the record, he isn't a buddy. Just a guy I like to read.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

christopherorman wrote:
He may fail.

You can go ahead and switch to the past tense.

When and if your boy posts an explanation for his system, I'll take a look at it. Until then, I'm not going to give him any more attention.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
christopherorman wrote:
He may fail.

You can go ahead and switch to the past tense.

When and if your boy posts an explanation for his system, I'll take a look at it. Until then, I'm not going to give him any more attention.

Failing in regards to 1 player doesn’t mean it was a failure as a whole. I don’t think you can write off the entire study although Simmons getting an F is ridiculous for many reasons.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Failing in regards to 1 player doesn’t mean it was a failure as a whole. I don’t think you can write off the entire study although Simmons getting an F is ridiculous for many reasons.

Okay, I'll make one more comment, and then I'll keep my promise to stop giving this guy attention, at least until he publishes a methodology.

He has released results for only a handful of players. If he released results for the whole league (over 400 players) and there was one outlier, that wouldn't be such a big deal. But when he releases results for about 10 players, and one of them is obviously ridiculous, why keep reading? I didn't pay that much attention to his grades for other players, to be honest. If the methodology is that unreliable, and if the author lacks the self awareness to realize that his methodology is generating a ridiculous outcome, why would you give weight to any of his grades?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Okay, I'll make one more comment, and then I'll keep my promise to stop giving this guy attention, at least until he publishes a methodology.

He has released results for only a handful of players. If he released results for the whole league (over 400 players) and there was one outlier, that wouldn't be such a big deal. But when he releases results for about 10 players, and one of them is obviously ridiculous, why keep reading? I didn't pay that much attention to his grades for other players, to be honest. If the methodology is that unreliable, and if the author lacks the self awareness to realize that his methodology is generating a ridiculous outcome, why would you give weight to any of his grades?

Because he has a history as one of the most reliable analytics people. This isn’t his first study and the other poster said he’s already said he’s reevaluating what happened with the Simmons situation. This guy has been around the game for a long time and is well respected for the most part. If i remember correctly, he was one of the first people to say Lonzo was a good defender despite the narrative that he sucks. I’m sure there’s other times he’s been wrong too. An exception doesn’t necessarily disprove the rule, it could be an outlier. I’m not saying the study’s valuable or not, I’m just saying Simmons doesn’t take all validity away from it.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if posted but interesting read on how lonzo can be our Draymond green.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/22/17584028/lonzo-ball-lakers-draymond-green-stats-warriors-analysis
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Not sure if posted but interesting read on how lonzo can be our Draymond green.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/22/17584028/lonzo-ball-lakers-draymond-green-stats-warriors-analysis

I’ve always liked the comp. Ball has WAY more offensive upside with slightly less defensive upside.
lakerz32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

completely agreed. dunno if people agree, but I actually like zo's one on one defense, not just the team defense. he doesn't do well against quicker guards, but I feel he could really hold his own against bigger players. think this will become more apparent as he gets older and gains NBA strength. he kinda remind me of klay Thompson in terms of one on one defense. very high basketball iq, solid, disciplined, not too flashy (except for impeccably timed blocks).he will hold his own, slide his feet, and contest (rinse and repeat)
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Lonzo’s daughter, Zoey, was born yesterday. Happy for him.

She was born about 6 days late, I'm guessing God wanted to make sure she was fully prepared to endure Grandpa LaVar.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Regarding Simmons:

Quote:
Brandon's burner 🐐 🐐
@Abd01i

Quote:
BBall Index
@The_BBall_Index
Not necessarily

Quote:
Brandon's burner 🐐 🐐
‏@Abd01i

Quote:
BBall Index
@The_BBall_Index

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@T1m_NBA

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
‏@T1m_NBA

It doesn't seem like Simmons will evolve his game. After hearing for several yrs how he is not a shooter, and sitting out his real rookie year where he could have done nothing, but work on his shot, I'm surprised Simmons validated all the concerns with just shooting 11 threes last year. I don't believe this guy is going to evolve. He's got a slight lead on BI right now because the league is always excited about the next Potential, but another year of not improving his outside shot, and I think BI takes the lead, and probably will take it for good. I hope 5 yrs down the line, people will look at this draft and say the Lakers got the best player.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Looks like Lonzo’s daughter, Zoey, was born yesterday. Happy for him.

She was born about 6 days late, I'm guessing God wanted to make sure she was fully prepared to endure Grandpa LaVar.

In a Morgan Freeman voice... "Hey Zoey, you've been in here for 9 months. At the risk of becoming institutionalized, I will need you to stay for 6 more days of LaVar orientation."
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

https://newsone.com/3815832/lavar-ball-jba-facebook-views/

Quote:
With all of its games streamed on Facebook, the JBA has averaged “between 100,000 and 200,000 views” for each contest, according to a report published in the Undefeated on Friday. When Ball’s son and star player, LaMelo, plays, his “games have closer to 800,000.”

Take Facebook Video views with a ton of salt. You can’t compare it to YouTube.

If you put a lot of money on Facebook Ads, it will show up on a lot of people’s timeline and depending on how you access it, it plays automatically, so you actually buy your views. One may believe 800K people watched a 2h long basketball game, but if you get the Analytics, don’t be surprised if the average time people spent on those videos are 10-20 seconds, or less. That counts much more than views.

JBA page has 21K likes, so no way their actual audience as 800K.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1117, 1118, 1119 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1118 of 1688
Jump to: