OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1119, 1120, 1121 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Like i said. the jba has more buzz than the dleague had before it became the g league.

You could be right. However, from my perspective, it is getting no buzz at all. If it weren't for the occasional reference on this board, I wouldn't even remember that it exists. My perspective may not be representative of anything. It may be getting buzz in other circles.

From the games I tried to watch, its clear that almost all these players wouldn't make it past the first cut for G-League auditions. The JBA is definitely bleeding money. It's poor execution, with Commish Silver looking into possibly removing the one year out of high school rule, the JBA is on its last leg. No one is going to pay to watch weekend-league quality games.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
500 pound bench press isn’t really unbelievable for a man his size.

My max was 405 as a teenager and I wasn’t an other worldly Athelete or anything. I know other linemen I played with that could do around 450+

The world record is twice that if I remember correctly.

He didn’t even have a video.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Like i said. the jba has more buzz than the dleague had before it became the g league.

You could be right. However, from my perspective, it is getting no buzz at all. If it weren't for the occasional reference on this board, I wouldn't even remember that it exists. My perspective may not be representative of anything. It may be getting buzz in other circles.

Quote:
Dallas coach Ray Johnson described the talent in the league as "a really good Division II college team."

LINK

the problem is the lack of talent in the league....and I have no idea how they will ever truly attract talent. Who is going to pay $40-$100 to go watch Division II level talent? If you live in California, Florida, or most major cities, you can throw down $5 at most random high school games, and see Division I kids most nights. I get it is en vogue to claim college kids play for free.....but the salaries in the JBA start @ $3K a month.....and go up to $10K a month.....that is usually not going to match the lifestyle that high major program athletes already live...or come near the exposure.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Id highly doubt either of those ventures are making money... in fact they are likely bleeding money big time. Those businesses are just propped up from their facebook reality show revenue and Lonzo's NBA money.

Why would BBB be bleeding money? What costs do they have?

The JBA is probably bleeding money though. I can't see BBB.

if Lonzo has a break out type of year this season or even next season....get that guy on a Nike, adidas, or Puma deal.....lock in that money, and you can still have BBB as an apparel brand. Honestly, this would be my advice for him right now if the shoe companies have a strong interest in Lonzo....lock up that money.....they appear to sell more apparel than shoes anyway. Maybe everything goes perfect.....and in 4-5 years Lonzo is a big enough star to have leverage to do some type of crossover shoe deal with one of the big companies....but right now, it does not seem like the BBB shoes have made any market progress this past year, and Lonzo is just forfeiting big shoe money for no good reason.

I thought the shoes were a mistake from the beginning....it is too tough of a market without massive brand appeal.....take the UA aprroach....build a brand, then dip your toe into the shoe market.

I disagree with this. The largest boon to BBB the past 6 months was Lebron signing in LA. Lonzo will now have global exposure playing next to Lebron that he didnt have before since the Lakers weren't very good; he just had the Laker brand on his jersey. Expect merchandise sales to jump up starting in October when the season starts.
never even though about it like that but you do have a point. but lonzo already had global exposure. its the lakers. the lakers brand is bigger than lebron. which is why kobe was so popular overseas. but LBJ does bring some extra looks zo's way just by standing next to him. then the fact that we may actually start winning a lot of games means we will be on national TV more often and talked about even more often than we have been. So even more eyes.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

From the games I tried to watch, its clear that almost all these players wouldn't make it past the first cut for G-League auditions. The JBA is definitely bleeding money. It's poor execution, with Commish Silver looking into possibly removing the one year out of high school rule, the JBA is on its last leg. No one is going to pay to watch weekend-league quality games.
lol you still dont get it. of course no one is going to watch those games. they never have and never will. this aint baseball minors. it doesnt work like that for hoops. No one went to see the cba guys back in the day. no one goes to g league games but family/friends, scouts, and nuts like us that love basketball. He probably will never get a real crowd out there. unless he gets lucky and gets real ballers in there. and like you said once silver gets rid of the one and done nonsense. thats going to make it even harder. but it could let guys who tried to go from high school to the league but dont want college still go there. these guys could be not as good as the next bron, kobe, kg, but they could be Lou williams level players.

The beauty of the jba is that it has the internet. something the cba, and the dleague had but not really. the jba is darn near solely pushed as something you watch online. and people are checking the games out. are they watching whole games? I have no idea. but they are getting more views that the gleague which we all agree is a better league from top to bottom. so this is why i have to give them some credit. they were smart enough to realize, go the online route and use the buzz to make money off the online ads or whatever they are doing. perhaps Facebook paid lavar and bbb some insane amt of money(over paid) who knows.

but part me thinks that league for lavar is just something he always wanted to do. sure i think he would love for it to become ABA level pre nba. But i think he really truly wants to give kids another options. whether that makes money or not may not even be in his true plans. remember he is a AAU coach and has a team. and from what i've seen he didnt use to charge people to get on his team. I think they took in donations and he paid the remainder out of his pocket kind of like a charity. So behind closed doors i have a feeling this JBA is charity for lavar. he wants these kids to succeed and have another option. and if he can be apart of it, thats his biggest dream.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

Quote:
Dallas coach Ray Johnson described the talent in the league as "a really good Division II college team."

LINK

the problem is the lack of talent in the league....and I have no idea how they will ever truly attract talent. Who is going to pay $40-$100 to go watch Division II level talent? If you live in California, Florida, or most major cities, you can throw down $5 at most random high school games, and see Division I kids most nights. I get it is en vogue to claim college kids play for free.....but the salaries in the JBA start @ $3K a month.....and go up to $10K a month.....that is usually not going to match the lifestyle that high major program athletes already live...or come near the exposure.
read my post. I do not think he's getting the players salary money from Door sales. no one will ever come out in droves to watch less than professionals play unless its under the guise of NCAA.

aint that funny? You would go watch a real low level DII team play for money. all the students, all the alumni, all of the local people in that small town where the school resides. they will pack that gym out. of course the price wont be 80 bucks either. but that isnt the reason. if lavar said tickets were 30 bucks. aint nobody showing up for that aside from family, friends, and hoop nuts like some of us. thats it. the gleague/dleague is not packed out. shoot, the wnba is a real league with highly talented ladies. and they can only pack it out during the playoffs and that league has been going for years and is backed by the nba and other major sponsors, same with the gleague.

So do not expect the JBA to ever be packed out. the only way that may happen if some big time high school superstars decide to jump in it. I dont see that happening if the nba rule goes back to the way it should be. which is no college or one year rule at all. so this means the only ToP guys they could get are the other HS guys that hate the idea of college but still want to showcase their talent and get paid for doing it in the United States. They may go to the JBA. Especially if they think there's more exposure there. Exposure is no longer butts in seats, its actually TV or now Online Views.

JBA seems to have a lot of online views via facebook and youtube. we dont know how long people watch. someone will have to pull that data. but people are clicking to see whats going on for better or for worse.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

and hold on a second. how did we get caught up in two discussions that have nothing to do with Zo playing actual basketball? LOL. the one about ben simmons and the analytics guy, and the jba.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

How do I join the JBA?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

Just show up.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

Are you OK with a coach yelling at you and pushing you, and then saying "What! What you gonna do?" Then you're ready.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Excellent read on Lonzo's knee injuries.

TL;DR:

Quote:
I’m confident that Lonzo will recover very well in the short-term and his risk will be mitigated in the long-term. People under 35 have excellent long-term outcome with arthroscopic meniscus surgery and the Lakers’ have a world-class support system that mandates consistent high quality rehab, strength, conditioning, fitness, and mental well-being,

https://theinjuryinsight.com/lonzo-balls-knee-worried/
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

TL;DR:

Quote:
I’m confident that Lonzo will recover very well in the short-term and his risk will be mitigated in the long-term. People under 35 have excellent long-term outcome with arthroscopic meniscus surgery and the Lakers’ have a world-class support system that mandates consistent high quality rehab, strength, conditioning, fitness, and mental well-being,

Klapper going by the name of DR. RAJPAL BRAR, DPT now?
lakerz32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

TL;DR:

Quote:

thanks for the link

the type of clear outline on zo's injuries I was hoping for. the physician/author did a great job in organizing all this information sequentially, and making it all make perfect sense. like I thought, the root of all evil was that Dallas game where zo played in OT.

fantastic read
ItsJustMagic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

TL;DR:

Quote:

Thanks - that was a great article. It really explained things in a logical manner. Hopefully that will satisfy the people asking for our medical staff to be fired.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

Are you OK with a coach yelling at you and pushing you, and then saying "What! What you gonna do?" Then you're ready.
similar to a lot of ncaa coaches. but maybe you're to young to remember Bobby Knight. there were tons of others for decades that did exactly what that jba coach did and worse. actually hit their players. now i dont know how those guys took it but they did. I know i would not have. but thats me.

That crazy jba coach = a lot of crazy college coaches(especially those in the past).
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

People are really selling Lonzo short. Last year, he led the rookies to an SPL championship as the MVP. During an up and down year, he still posed a triple double threat on a regular basis, defended much, much better than anyone expected, rebounded like a maniac, and showed flashes of putting it all together when his 3-point shot fell. If he's healthy, he's going to be a handful.

Also, I hope Kyle Kuzma continues to develop. I hope he's not our new Jordan Clarkson - the surprise late pick that outplayed rookies because of his maturity and polish, then disappointed as a sophomore. I hope he continues to get better.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
People are really selling Lonzo short. Last year, he led the rookies to an SPL championship as the MVP. During an up and down year, he still posed a triple double threat on a regular basis, defended much, much better than anyone expected, rebounded like a maniac, and showed flashes of putting it all together when his 3-point shot fell. If he's healthy, he's going to be a handful.

Also, I hope Kyle Kuzma continues to develop. I hope he's not our new Jordan Clarkson - the surprise late pick that outplayed rookies because of his maturity and polish, then disappointed as a sophomore. I hope he continues to get better.

I theorize that Lonzo is being "sold short" because:

1. People forgot just he good he was in the SPL, especially after he struggled with his shot in the regular season.

2. Him struggling with his shot for most of the regular season overshadowed the other aspects of his great play like his rebounding & defense.

3. The Lakers finished out of the playoff race early, so the attention shifts to who will playing in the PO's. Which brings me to....

4. Both Mitchell of Utah, and Tatum of Boston shined brightly in the PO's. Lonzo could have easily been in the conversation if we had the talent to make the PO's, and had the kind of talent each of those players had.

Well, now we have the best player in the league. Barring injury, Lonzo will make his own indelible mark on the league. Watch!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
mirak wrote:

1. People forgot just he good he was in the SPL, especially after he struggled with his shot in the regular season.

2. Him struggling with his shot for most of the regular season overshadowed the other aspects of his great play like his rebounding & defense.

3. The Lakers finished out of the playoff race early, so the attention shifts to who will playing in the PO's. Which brings me to....

4. Both Mitchell of Utah, and Tatum of Boston shined brightly in the PO's. Lonzo could have easily been in the conversation if we had the talent to make the PO's, and had the kind of talent each of those players had.

Well, now we have the best player in the league. Barring injury, Lonzo will make his own indelible mark on the league. Watch!

Yea I think he benefits more from Bron than anybody. Just gotta stay on the floor.
ItsJustMagic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
mirak wrote:

Yea I think he benefits more from Bron than anybody. Just gotta stay on the floor.

And the article about his injury gives us hope that his injury is not chronic.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

ItsJustMagic wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
mirak wrote:

And the article about his injury gives us hope that his injury is not chronic.

Yea that’s the biggest question mark surrounding his game.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
epak wrote:
trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

similar to a lot of ncaa coaches. but maybe you're to young to remember Bobby Knight. there were tons of others for decades that did exactly what that jba coach did and worse. actually hit their players. now i dont know how those guys took it but they did. I know i would not have. but thats me.

That crazy jba coach = a lot of crazy college coaches(especially those in the past).

Trying to grasp what you're getting at.
Coaches in the PAST coached that way. So it's OK now?
But if they coached you that way you wouldn't accept it?

Anyway. It wasn't a good look for the coach.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
epak wrote:
trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

Trying to grasp what you're getting at.
Coaches in the PAST coached that way. So it's OK now?
But if they coached you that way you wouldn't accept it?

Anyway. It wasn't a good look for the coach.

It was a terrible look for that coach. The start of the encounter wasn't so bad. A little double fist bump to the players shoulders to show him some contact ain't so bad, maybe even invoke his evolutionary response to contact, etc. etc. The part that really got to him was that after he tried to "tough up" the player, he basically challenged him to fight him on the sideline with all that "Watchu gonna do? whatchu gonna do about it?" bs at the end.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

Not sure if serious. But there were open tryouts in cities across the USA for this season. Maybe next season you can find the tryouts.
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

Not sure if serious. But there were open tryouts in cities across the USA for this season. Maybe next season you can find the tryouts.

Suck at basketball and show up at your local YMCA
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
epak wrote:
trablos wrote:
How do I join the JBA?

It has been over a decade since Knight coached....the point being that style of coaching is no longer tolerated, and since there is now a camera at almost every basketball game from buddy league to city asphalt tournaments, we have mostly eliminated that type of abusive behavior from coaches. The dirty little secret that it seems like everyone knows, but ignores is that style of abusive coaching is alive and well in football from youth/middle school ages through college....but I would guess its days are numbered also.

You claim that you would not have tolerated it. I would ask you are you so sure your tougher than those athletic men, often much larger than the average man? Are you sure that you have more pride that those 5 Star prospects that made it to an elite level of their sport playing for Bob Knight? My guess is you, me, and damn near everyone else here would have likely tolerated much of it....just as those guys did. We like to look at distasteful actions of those in previous eras and pretend we would have acted different....we would be the one......but it is unlikely because what are we the one at now? If we would have broke such barriers then, would that not suggest we would be breaking barriers today? Bob Knight and other coaches in that era got away with that behavior because society put these men on such pedestals that they were viewed as bigger than the game. Who is the University going to support....an iconic legend that generates millions for the institution or just another 5 Star prospect that can be replaced within minutes? Almost no 19 or 20 year old is going to challenge that norm in that environment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1119, 1120, 1121 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1120 of 1688
Jump to: