OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1142, 1143, 1144 ... 1400, 1401, 1402  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
audioaxes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 9731

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
have him watch nonstop game footage of Steve Nash on offense... All the tricks he did to collapse a defense, get into the paint and find dump offs for easy finishes or kick outs to open shooters... all the while never being a threat to finish at the hole.

Huh? You have it backwards. Nash was unquestionably a threat around the rim. He was as crafty as they come. That was a key component to his game and was exactly why he was able to collapse defenses, probe, and dish to teammates when he was in the paint. However, he was also one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, so he wasn't afraid of getting fouled. That's part of Lonzo’s dilemma. He goes to the rim looking to pass because he doesn't want to get fouled. His lack of confidence in his free throw shooting holds him back from going up strong around the rim. People talk about how bad he is at finishing, but one of the biggest reasons is because he just sort of flings up wild shots to avoid contact and getting fouled.

when I mean he wasnt a threat I mean he was by no means one of the best guards at slashing to the rim, absorbing contact and finishing in traffic. He did alot of floaters, and baby jumpers and fadeaways in the paint much more than taking defenders on right at the rim. This is evident in his FT attempts... while deadly he didnt get to the line that much. Those are things Lonzo can try to master.
_________________
anti-tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3967
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Even in a knee brace, I am hoping he learns how to shoot the ball.
Shoot 1000 free throws a day....hell, 2000 would be better.

Learn how to shoot the ball...shoot all day long. Especially free throws.
40% from the line, one of the worst in the NBA, for a point guard is scary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3295

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What work can Lonzo do at this point?

Jenn wrote:
I don't know anything about this surgery. Can he at this point work on free throws? Can he do upper body weight work (bench work, machines, etc)?
he could always work on form and shooting without harming that knee. he could've sat in a chair at the ft line and stroked some ft's in during the early part of the heeling process. but that surgery doesnt take that long to heal to the point where you can shoot ft's. thats not a lot of pressure on your knees anyway. now jump shots are a different thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 3868

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Tweak his shooting form
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 5127

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Disappointed he cant be already getting reps with lbj like kuz and Ingram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Posts: 647

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, everyone. Well, most of you anyway!

I'm sure that he's doing what he can do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ElginBaylor
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 9424
Location: Hoosier Nation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

He could stop making more and more pointless threads about himself on LG.
_________________
Not the real Elgin Baylor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 23054

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject:

Rap album?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 2832

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

kball wrote:
Judah wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
have him watch nonstop game footage of Steve Nash on offense... All the tricks he did to collapse a defense, get into the paint and find dump offs for easy finishes or kick outs to open shooters... all the while never being a threat to finish at the hole.

Huh? You have it backwards. Nash was unquestionably a threat around the rim. He was as crafty as they come. That was a key component to his game and was exactly why he was able to collapse defenses, probe, and dish to teammates when he was in the paint. However, he was also one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, so he wasn't afraid of getting fouled. That's part of Lonzo’s dilemma. He goes to the rim looking to pass because he doesn't want to get fouled. His lack of confidence in his free throw shooting holds him back from going up strong around the rim. People talk about how bad he is at finishing, but one of the biggest reasons is because he just sort of flings up wild shots to avoid contact and getting fouled.


This is my observation exactly.
And one that will certainly improve as his career unfolds.
Improved Free Throw shooting from Ball this season could EASILY increase his points 3-5 a game even without an increase in shots. Or a marked improvement in 3 pt%

I just don't know if i see Lonzo as the first or 2nd ball handler on this team w LBJ and Rondo


The main reason he cant finish at the rim is because he cant pullup and hit a jumper mostly cause of his shot style. Since every defender knows he only goes all the way to the rim or passes they funnel him to the teeth of the defense and he misses.

Even if he improved his free throws it would only help him a little. He needs a pull up J or at the very least a floater
_________________
-------LUCKY-------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Posts: 133
Location: 92115

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Muzzle Lavar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Posts: 2703

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

A new and improved FT would be glorious
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 05 Aug 2018
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
kball wrote:
Judah wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
have him watch nonstop game footage of Steve Nash on offense... All the tricks he did to collapse a defense, get into the paint and find dump offs for easy finishes or kick outs to open shooters... all the while never being a threat to finish at the hole.

Huh? You have it backwards. Nash was unquestionably a threat around the rim. He was as crafty as they come. That was a key component to his game and was exactly why he was able to collapse defenses, probe, and dish to teammates when he was in the paint. However, he was also one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, so he wasn't afraid of getting fouled. That's part of Lonzo’s dilemma. He goes to the rim looking to pass because he doesn't want to get fouled. His lack of confidence in his free throw shooting holds him back from going up strong around the rim. People talk about how bad he is at finishing, but one of the biggest reasons is because he just sort of flings up wild shots to avoid contact and getting fouled.


This is my observation exactly.
And one that will certainly improve as his career unfolds.
Improved Free Throw shooting from Ball this season could EASILY increase his points 3-5 a game even without an increase in shots. Or a marked improvement in 3 pt%

I just don't know if i see Lonzo as the first or 2nd ball handler on this team w LBJ and Rondo


The main reason he cant finish at the rim is because he cant pullup and hit a jumper mostly cause of his shot style. Since every defender knows he only goes all the way to the rim or passes they funnel him to the teeth of the defense and he misses.

Even if he improved his free throws it would only help him a little. He needs a pull up J or at the very least a floater


Those would absolutely help.

But i'd counter with he's already better with both hands around the rim than 80-90% of the league.

Already. First year.

More confidence in his FT% by upping it makes it more likely he releases at the right time rather than the 'hurry up' around the basket form he defaults to.

I'd think by year 3 or 4 he may be among league leaders in AND 1's.

Assuming he lifts FT% above 77%
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 2017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Cruise around LA top down in his brand new Bugatti. Make celebrity appearances nightly with a new sidepiece each time laced up in diamonds. Champagne at the club for everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 12244
Location: Somewhere watching a Laker game

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
babysitting seems to come to mind...


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 7508
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

If I was him I'd be practicing the release of high arcing layups, left and right handed.
I'd practice the release motion of a floater.
I'd practice a conventional release of a free throw from close, and then move back.
I'd practice spinning (both directions) layups like Kyrie apparently does.

All of this would be stationary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 4369

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Watch tape on teammates and learn thier tendencies and where they like to score the ball.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9357
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

MENTALLY, he can work on:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..
_________________
Lakers Rebirth: 2018-19
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerReign
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Dec 2004
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Play 70 healthy games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
giordan0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 352

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject:

This summer was wasted.

He just spent doing things outside of basketball.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 3764

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
MENTALLY, he can work on:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 29286

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
If I was him I'd be practicing the release of high arcing layups, left and right handed.
I'd practice the release motion of a floater.
I'd practice a conventional release of a free throw from close, and then move back.
I'd practice spinning (both directions) layups like Kyrie apparently does.

All of this would be stationary.


Depends on where he is in his recovery. If he can barely put much weight on his leg , he can’t even shoot FTs properly, a FT has to be in great sync from the heels->legs->on up

I’m pretty disappointed it was a complete wasted summer skill wise.. hopefully he’s been watching film like crazy, there’s still a lot of IQ/situational stuff young PGs can improve exponentially on.
_________________
guaranteed ring in the next 3 years with Bron+Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9357
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
MENTALLY, he can work on:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.


What makes no sense, is a NBA player making just under $7.5 million that MISSES 69.5% of his three point shots, if you failed 69% of the time at your job, I'm pretty sure you'd be fired...!
_________________
Lakers Rebirth: 2018-19
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 32959

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Lakers News: Isaiah Thomas Confident Lonzo Ball Will Become ‘Special’ Player

Quote:
“Lonzo is a great kid. I mean, I don’t think you’re going to be able to fix his jump shot, but you can work with it and get it better than how it is right now. He’s a talented, talented young player that’s going to be special in this league because he has the tools to be special.”



https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-isaiah-thomas-confident-lonzo-ball-become-special-player/2018/08/12/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 3764

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Practice wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
MENTALLY, he can work on:

NOT shooting any three pointers and when the other team leaves him completely alone at the three point line - DRIVE and kick DON'T SHOOT IT...!

Ok, he can shoot 1 per game, if he makes that one he can shoot a second three pointer, but after he misses just one - he is done , for the game..

It makes no sense to tell him not to shoot wide open 3 pointers or set an arbitrary number of attempts.


What makes no sense, is a NBA player making just under $7.5 million that MISSES 69.5% of his three point shots, if you failed 69% of the time at your job, I'm pretty sure you'd be fired...!

Th average is like 35%, and even the best shooters are missing the majority of their 3 pointers, so that comparison doesn’t make sense.

Also, that has nothing to do with taking wide open shots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 3683

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Flip burgers
_________________
#TrustThePlan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1142, 1143, 1144 ... 1400, 1401, 1402  Next
Page 1143 of 1402
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB