OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1196, 1197, 1198 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
It's his own personal brand and life story. The intent of the rule seems to widely miss the mark to me.

It is not his personal brand. It is not his life story. It is the trademark of a company that sells athletic gear. You know all that money that the players make? A significant portion, probably a majority, does not come from ticket sales. It comes from companies that pay for TV rights, marketing rights, apparel rights, and all of that sort of stuff. The money goes into a big pool called BRI, and the players collectively get their cut. Without all of that money, NBA players would be getting paid more like MLS players.

So if a player decides to tattoo someone's trademark on his body in a visible spot, he is going to cover it up. He isn't just messing with the league office and the owners. He is messing with every other player in the league. This is why the union and the other players aren't going to come riding to his defense. You don't mess with the source of the money because you want to promote your dad's silly shoe company.

Wait, the league has a money source off players' skin and arms? The tattoo is not hindering or altering the look of the jersey in any way worse than the differing brand on the shoes.

Doesn't matter. It's in the CBA:

Quote:

Other than as may be incorporated into his Uniform and the manufacturer’s identification incorporated into his Sneakers, a player may not, during any NBA game, display any commercial, promotional, or charitable name, mark, logo or other identification, including but not limited to on his body, in his hair, or otherwise.

Then the league office should be very busy going through every player's personal body art. I guarantee there are many violations.

Isn't a Wu Tang tattoo a promotional display? I know I've seen a player with that one.

It does say the player may not

Doesn't say that the league has to ban everything under that rule. It just gives the league the right to enforce the rule should they choose.

Yeah, I think it's a misapplication of the spirit of the rule to do so with BBB. It's not a serious company. He didn't sign a contract to wear the tattoo. It doesn't even appear Lonzo is wearing the shoe anymore.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
The NBA probably wants everyone to wear the same shoes if they can, but that's not going to happen. Players get alot of endorsement money from shoes. Shoes helps the NBA grow, look at Jordan's deal with Nike.

The NBA wanted to draw a line on other body parts and they were able to win on that front. That's all it is.

It's not to make sense. It's just negotiations and which side was able to win on what points.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but on this point, we should not be too quick to think of this as a players vs. owners issue. That is the ordinary, natural reaction -- sort of like the school principals telling the kids that they can't wear a t-shirt with some logo, or an employer telling the workers that they can't wear something at work.

But this is about money. The players as a whole and the owners as a whole want to maximize marketing revenues, and they split the pot. I suspect that the union had no problem at all with this sort of restriction. No one likes being told what to do, so sure, you'll get some griping. In the end, the players want the money just like everyone else. There are plenty of ways for guys to express their individuality without messing with the money.

In a way, this reminds me of the dress code thing back in the day. Remember all the complaining about that? It hasn't been controversial for a long time. Hell, it didn't take long for guys to start competing to see who could be the snazziest dresser. I think they love being on TV walking into the arena looking sharp. And the money just kept getting bigger and bigger.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

So we're aren't even going to let him try running pick and rolls? STEPHENSON IS THO????
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Mixed game, but his 3pt shot looked good tonight.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, in two games that three ball of his has looked much smoother. No big wind up and fling.

Still doesn't look like he has his wind and motor yet.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Well, in two games that three ball of his has looked much smoother. No big wind up and fling.

I agree he looks a little winded but his 3 point shooting is night and day difference. He looks even quicker than last year and his defense has taken another step up. He still hasn't shown that he has improved going to the hoop but there have been limited chances so far.

I think we will have a much improved Zo this year just based on better 3 point and free throw shooting. His passing is still great, he rebounds great and plays great defense. The mid range game is still a work in progress. I will take that every day of the week.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

His defense seemed not as strong the last game. But glad his 3 ball is coming along and he's still hitting at least 3 categories.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Luke does the right thing and starts Lonzo opening night.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mixed game, but his 3pt shot looked good tonight.

If I remember correctly Magic mentioned that while they weren't asking him to change his shot he needed to be more in balance and he does look better in this respect.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I agree he looks a little winded but his 3 point shooting is night and day difference. He looks even quicker than last year and his defense has taken another step up. He still hasn't shown that he has improved going to the hoop but there have been limited chances so far.

I think we will have a much improved Zo this year just based on better 3 point and free throw shooting. His passing is still great, he rebounds great and plays great defense. The mid range game is still a work in progress. I will take that every day of the week.

There was one instance in his first game where he drove to the hoop and he initiated the contact with the defender by putting his shoulder into him. He converted the basket.

Not sure what video I saw that in but the commentary was that was one of the points discussed during his film review with Magic.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

As strange as it sounds, maybe him getting that knee injury was a low-key blessing. His 3 pt shot looks alot better for the simple fact he actually has enough muscle to launch it. That lifting has paid off, ball just shoots out effortlessly now.

Then add that drive and contact, then finish in his 1st game, both gamechangers to his game.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure if it can go to a second year player, but Lonzo should have a spot in the MIP race. First, the national perception of his rookie season was way too low. Second, with LeBron, a stronger physique and a more talented team, he should have a great year.

Some of those passes he was throwing yesterday were spectacular.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

So, I am wondering about something with Lonzo and would be interested in what some of you knowledgeable fans think.

There are a couple of things that concern me.

1. Sometimes he doesn't actually seem like he is running the offense, like he is making silly passes, simply to get the ball out of his hands. I'm wondering if he can have minutes where he seems to lack purpose?? I still like him but am really wondering if anyone else sees this?? I could be off base.

2. He still needs to be more of a threat to want to score. That one sequence where he passed the ball back and forth about 5 times was just silly.

One of the things I am concerned about is that he is just going to get lost next to Lebron, without much to do and not enough bravado to get his own. Plus, gotta say, I really liked what Bonga showed against the Warriors. I know he is a year or two off, but he is such a pure basketball body, a 6'8" pg who can pass, rebound and likes to score. He is going to be pushing Lonzo hard eventually.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
40% FT shooter as the starting PG,

that's going to work real well in the playoffs

As if the assumption that a second year player isn't going to make any improvements isn't bad enough... I have to point out that you also short changed him by over 5%. More importantly it's not as if he has been a 45% free throw shooter his entire life. He shot 67.3% at UCLA, and in high school he shot 80-81%.

Ok 45%

A pg needs to be about 80% on FT’s, it would be great for him to get to that, but the reality is he’s going to be nowhere near 80 this season. At best he gets back to his percentage from college; with that he’s still a liability

lol...you can save this post...lonzo will NEVER shoot above 80% in the NBA.

From the work he put in over 1 off season, it's clear that his shooting is much more consistent. Your comment looks extremely foolish from where I sit. He may or may not be 80% this year, but from what I've seen, I expect him to be very close to it. IF..... he doesn't reach it this season, more work like this summer could easily get him there by next year.

It's very interesting, as someone already commented, how you seem to take joy in saying that.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

Why do you feel the need to round his 45% down to a 40%.

But since we're rounding, I'm gonna do it correctly and round him up to 50%
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

His FT % is the ONLY concern at this point.

That said...Rondo became a champ with no shot and no FT...
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

It's clear that there are those who don't like Lonzo, while calling themselves Lakers fans. I, and no doubt many others, disliked Lebron immensely in the past, but he's on our team and it would make less than zero sense to root against him now. It's interesting that as Lonzo gets better, people still attribute last year's stats to the player he is now. A person would struggle hard to find a player with any offensive skills, with any real talent and work ethic, who came into the league as a teen, and doesn't improve anything by the next season. We'll see how much certain things have improved, but simple changes in form, and added weight and strength, have made a significant difference in his abilities so far.

I expect that many of us willl be quietly watching and appreciating the Lonzo (winning) affect on the team, while those here rooting against him will inconspicuously slip out of this thread and hover somewhere else.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
It's clear that there are those who don't like Lonzo, while calling themselves Lakers fans. I, and no doubt many others, disliked Lebron immensely in the past, but he's on our team and it would make less than zero sense to root against him now. It's interesting that as Lonzo gets better, people still attribute last year's stats to the player he is now. A person would struggle hard to find a player with any offensive skills, with any real talent and work ethic, who came into the league as a teen, and doesn't improve anything by the next season. We'll see how much certain things have improved, but simple changes in form, and added weight and strength, have made a significant difference in his abilities so far.

I expect that many of us willl be quietly watching and appreciating the Lonzo (winning) affect on the team, while those here rooting against him will inconspicuously slip out of this thread and hover somewhere else.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Lonzo got mad quick hand, trying to think old school guys who had quick hands stealing balls and stuff... Dumars?
EthanHarris
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

It won't help anyone being against one of our players.. Lonzo can be an amazing player, but he needs more time. And Lebron.. Well. come on, is the best in the league!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

As if the assumption that a second year player isn't going to make any improvements isn't bad enough... I have to point out that you also short changed him by over 5%. More importantly it's not as if he has been a 45% free throw shooter his entire life. He shot 67.3% at UCLA, and in high school he shot 80-81%.

Ok 45%

A pg needs to be about 80% on FT’s, it would be great for him to get to that, but the reality is he’s going to be nowhere near 80 this season. At best he gets back to his percentage from college; with that he’s still a liability

lol...you can save this post...lonzo will NEVER shoot above 80% in the NBA.

From the work he put in over 1 off season, it's clear that his shooting is much more consistent. Your comment looks extremely foolish from where I sit. He may or may not be 80% this year, but from what I've seen, I expect him to be very close to it. IF..... he doesn't reach it this season, more work like this summer could easily get him there by next year.

It's very interesting, as someone already commented, how you seem to take joy in saying that.

Just one more comment on this - so some of you are saying Lonzo will never shoot FT's as well as he did in High School. Yes, he shot 80% from the FT line in High School. Same distance, same size rim. But, that's never going to happen. To me, that's more ridiculous than the sudden Lonzo reversion back to 80% prediction.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

There was one instance in his first game where he drove to the hoop and he initiated the contact with the defender by putting his shoulder into him. He converted the basket.

Not sure what video I saw that in but the commentary was that was one of the points discussed during his film review with Magic.

That play got everyone's attention and a lot of commentary, I had to back the DVR up on that one and watch it again during commercial break. Just one play, but that was the kind of play that Lonzo took a lot of criticism last year for not being able to make. It adds a much-needed dimension to his game, in the same manner that an improved 3 adds to his game.

Yeah, he had knee surgery but he certainly didn't take the summer off. Good on Lonzo.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Lonzo got mad quick hand, trying to think old school guys who had quick hands stealing balls and stuff... Dumars?

I'd mention someone whom I always wanted to be a Laker: the late, great Dennis Johnson- Seattle, then the dreaded Celts.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I must have the memory of a goldfish cause i really did forget how good his defense is.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:

I must have the memory of a goldfish cause i really did forget how good his defense is.

Lonzo's deflections and defensive pass read is top notch
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1196, 1197, 1198 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1197 of 1688
Jump to: