OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1198, 1199, 1200 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo and Hart aren't starting in place of Rondo and KCP by, say, mid-December, I'm going to be mightily unhappy.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
If Lonzo and Hart aren't starting in place of Rondo and KCP by, say, mid-December, I'm going to be mightily unhappy.

If Lonzo isn't starting eventually, I'm going to be unhappy as well.

But Hart/KCP I don't think is a big deal, both guys will get there minutes and right now neither guy is ahead of the other by some huge margin. I'd prefer Hart because he's more of a long term piece, but either could start.

Hart/KCP are going to be pretty much interchangeable this season depending on match ups and who is having the better stretch.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:

I hope injury is the only reason Lonzo is coming off the bench, dude might be our second best player this season potentially.

I have Lonzo and BI as our 2nd and 3rd best players in either order depending on the improvements.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

I have no problem with Ball coming off the bench this season. Playing behind Rondo for part or all of the season can only make him a better player. Ball is still young and developing. Would have loved if this could have been done last season.

Having the two of them competing, running the team and accepting the roles can be a great thing for the Lakers if both buy in and avoid ego conflicts. Could also be a fiasco if either somehow take offense to the sharing of the PG duties. Ball can learn his craft and Rondo can play less mins and hopefully remain healthier all season long.

And I am not a big Rondo fan. But he and the situation is winning me over.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

I was in support of Rondo starting until the preseason proved that his very much afraid to shot. It is easy to watch somebody shot wide open shots and miss than to watch them pass on wide open shots.

Also Lonzo's defense make him a clear favorite to start for me.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
defense wrote:
Don't know if you guys remember but last season Lonzo actually gave Lillard the business. He even blocked him a few times. Lillard was noticeably annoyed in one game. Lillard will score because he ball hogs but Lonzo did a good job last season.

Lonzo's arguably his best on ball denial, which is how he really frustrated Lillard for a couple quarters in that game up in Portland. Unfortunately Lonzo had one of his disappearing offense games from early last season, and Lillard got hot when Lonzo took a blow to start the 4th Q - by the time he got back, Lillard was getting every foul call imaginable and eventually hit the game winner over a solid contest from Zo.

But the flashes on defense were already there for 2-3 quarters, impressive for a rookie against Lillard on the road. Hopefully we see an even better defensive performance on Thursday.

Have winner was over BI I believe.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
defense wrote:
Don't know if you guys remember but last season Lonzo actually gave Lillard the business. He even blocked him a few times. Lillard was noticeably annoyed in one game. Lillard will score because he ball hogs but Lonzo did a good job last season.

Lonzo's arguably his best on ball denial, which is how he really frustrated Lillard for a couple quarters in that game up in Portland. Unfortunately Lonzo had one of his disappearing offense games from early last season, and Lillard got hot when Lonzo took a blow to start the 4th Q - by the time he got back, Lillard was getting every foul call imaginable and eventually hit the game winner over a solid contest from Zo.

But the flashes on defense were already there for 2-3 quarters, impressive for a rookie against Lillard on the road. Hopefully we see an even better defensive performance on Thursday.

29 ft...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
defense wrote:

Correct:

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I have no problem with Ball coming off the bench this season. Playing behind Rondo for part or all of the season can only make him a better player. Ball is still young and developing. Would have loved if this could have been done last season.

Having the two of them competing, running the team and accepting the roles can be a great thing for the Lakers if both buy in and avoid ego conflicts. Could also be a fiasco if either somehow take offense to the sharing of the PG duties. Ball can learn his craft and Rondo can play less mins and hopefully remain healthier all season long.

I’m fine with him coming off the bench early in the year as he gets back in shape. It also forces him to earn the job and not be given to him. But he needs to be starting relatively quickly as it was pretty obvious he’s already the better player without being fully in game shape. He’s the best defender by a fairly wide margin on the team and the second best rebounder. And those are the Lakers two biggest weaknesses. Even when coming off the bench he needs to be close to 30 min a game. Not so he can develop, but because it’s obvious the team needs him on the court.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:

That means most of our free agent signings (after LeBron) were for bench players ($29 mil)

Rondo - $9 mil
KCP - $12 mil
Lance Stephenson - $4.5 mil
Beasley - $3.5 mil
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
I hope injury is the only reason Lonzo is coming off the bench, dude might be our second best player this season potentially.

I have Lonzo and BI as our 2nd and 3rd best players in either order depending on the improvements.

If Lonzo improved more than Ingram this year, wowo

Cuz Ingram worked all summer while Lonzo was recovering from injury.

That means Ingram, no matter how hard he works, just can't improve that much

Ingram definitely worked harder than Lonzo this offseason
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

Lonzo was better last year and a bigger jump is expected from year 1 to 2 than year 2 to 3 IMO so I don’t think you can say Ingram can’t improve much even if Lonzo is better this year.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

In a vacuum, I don't really have a problem with Rondo starting. But I think that given the current roster construction, Lonzo is a much better fit with the starters, and Rondo is a much better fit with the 2nd unit.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Not happy he's not starting (allegedly). He better play 28+ minutes.

Why? He's not fully recovered yet.

He played 24mpg the last 2 pre-season games, and Luke ran him for 10 straight minutes his first game back. Has anyone said he's not 100%? Point is, if he's going to be the starter, why not just start him so we can develop consistency with that unit?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tania Ganguli @ taniaganguli

The Lakers exercised their option for the third year of Lonzo Ball’s contract. Procedural move for the 2019-20 season.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Tania Ganguli ( a t ) taniaganguli

The Lakers exercised their option for the third year of Lonzo Ball’s contract. Procedural move for the 2019-20 season.

Congrats.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
defense wrote:

Correct:

Alway wonder why the def is reacting to the offense in the end of game. Time is running out, I would try and blitz him to change his rhythm making him react to your def and maybe rush his shot a bit.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
epak wrote:
defense wrote:

Correct:

Alway wonder why the def is reacting to the offense in the end of game. Time is running out, I would try and blitz him to change his rhythm making him react to your def and maybe rush his shot a bit.

There were a few times during the year I wanted the defense to trap certain players. But I guess the coaching staff doesn't like 4 on 3 advantages that can come. But I agree, on a short clock, with a player who's known to knock down game winners, I'd trap and let someone else beat you.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:

I really like the idea of Zo, Kuz, and Hart crushing other team's 2nd units and best 5 finishing games. Let's them build a chemistry that will grow for years to come.

Like when Phil came back and he had Jordan, Sasha, and Bynum demolishing team's 2nd units.

#BannersOverBillboards
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
richsmith wrote:

I really like the idea of Zo, Kuz, and Hart crushing other team's 2nd units and best 5 finishing games. Let's them build a chemistry that will grow for years to come.

Like when Phil came back and he had Jordan, Sasha, and Bynum demolishing team's 2nd units.

I wouldn't quite look at it that way since this isn't a long-term thing. Zo is definitely going to be starting once there's no more restrictions.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

Lonzo was better last year and a bigger jump is expected from year 1 to 2 than year 2 to 3 IMO so I don’t think you can say Ingram can’t improve much even if Lonzo is better this year.

I don't know if this makes sense but Lonzo was more impactful last year while Ingram was the better player IMO.

Lonzo's impact was undeniable, but his lack of scoring holds him down as an individual player.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

I don't know if this makes sense but Lonzo was more impactful last year while Ingram was the better player IMO.

Lonzo's impact was undeniable, but his lack of scoring holds him down as an individual player.

I get the vibe from a lot of people that this is how they feel but I can’t understand it. The player who has more of a positive impact on their team is the better player. It’s that simple to me. Maybe you find Ingram more aesthetically pleasing or just more talented overall and that where it comes from but if he doesn’t have as much of an impact, he’s a worse player. The game is about combining talent/skill with IQ and with effort to help your team win. The players who do that the most are the better players. That was Lonzo last year. Potential/measurables/skill sets are irrelevant if they can’t be used on the court in a manner that helps win games.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
danzag wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Not happy he's not starting (allegedly). He better play 28+ minutes.

Why? He's not fully recovered yet.

He played 24mpg the last 2 pre-season games, and Luke ran him for 10 straight minutes his first game back. Has anyone said he's not 100%? Point is, if he's going to be the starter, why not just start him so we can develop consistency with that unit?

He's 100%, he's just a bit rusty and, maybe, needs to improve his conditioning. I hope he takes Rondo's place as starter around Game 7-8.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
dont put them together.

zo yes, hart no.

someone has to be the ginobili 6th man. remember i said this earlier in this thread i believe.
if both kcp and hart ball out as starters. But one of them suck as a bench player. that guy who sucked will be put into the starting lineup and the other guy will be called the gino of our team, you watch. now that guy will get to end games where the starter guy wont have that chance unless he's fire hot.

As for ball. if ball aint starting by then and he isnt hurt. that means Zo hasnt made it obviously clear he's that much better than old man rondo. and if thats the case, then I would be worried too because we think zo is better than that. There comes a time when you make the coaching staff Put you in the lineup because they can't come up with any excuse why not since you're so much better than the current guy at your spot. You have to KOBE that thing. I dare you to keep playing me off the bench. the coach will mess around and get fired behind some antics like that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

I get the vibe from a lot of people that this is how they feel but I can’t understand it. The player who has more of a positive impact on their team is the better player. It’s that simple to me. Maybe you find Ingram more aesthetically pleasing or just more talented overall and that where it comes from but if he doesn’t have as much of an impact, he’s a worse player. The game is about combining talent/skill with IQ and with effort to help your team win. The players who do that the most are the better players. That was Lonzo last year. Potential/measurables/skill sets are irrelevant if they can’t be used on the court in a manner that helps win games.
gotta agree on your points. we've all seen players fill up the box scores and LOOK good to the eye test but then you realize that guys team aint going anywhere year in and year out. why? oh now i see why, his stats do not impact his team enough to earn more wins than loses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1198, 1199, 1200 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1199 of 1688
Jump to: