OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1286, 1287, 1288 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Seeing more Lonzo - LeBron pick n roll it seems.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

He will be the number 1 with James.

Won't happen. Lebron will stuff the stat sheet and will be seen as the more complete player.

The media adores and fawns over Lebron so much, even if KD is the better player, they will declare Lebron the real leader and MVP of a team they are both on.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
I like Ball, but because I think Durant will come here this summer, I’d cash in on Ball and Ingram for Walker.

Magic and Pelinka will have a better idea about that than any of us. I personally don't see Durant coming here and help Lebron win more rings. It'd be seen as a slightly less "weak move" than joining GSW. He will either win 4-5 with GSW or to a team where he will be the #1 imo.

Won't happen. Lebron will stuff the stat sheet and will be seen as the more complete player.

Durant will finish games, win scoring titles and Finals MVPs. James will still get his, your right, but Durant will be the clear dude who is relied on at the end of close games. Matter of fact, James will defer to Durant’s offensive superiority.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

The media adores and fawns over Lebron so much, even if KD is the better player, they will declare Lebron the real leader and MVP of a team they are both on.

You’re right. I can’t disagree. James has media whores bought and sold like the wily politician that he is ... but real basketball heads will know who the better player is if they are on the same team. It’d actually be pretty clear.

James will continue to get 27/8/8 in the flow of the game, but when the going gets tough, Durant will show the world who the closer is and who is the better offensive and defensive force at this stage of their prospective careers.

I think Durant will relish it actually. We’ll see.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a positive, not a negative that LBJ knows his limits.

Worse to have a superstar who insists on closing when he's the poorer option.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I think it's a positive, not a negative that LBJ knows his limits.

Worse to have a superstar who insists on closing when he's the poorer option.

Cannot disagree.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject:

jmnluvr wrote:
Good game tonight. Luke screwed him. Almost cost us the game. He's our best perimeter defender by far. He needs to be in the game.

Don't tell that to Luke. He got the feels for Rondo the way Byron did for Price.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject:

I don't like how he always looks for a pass without any intention to score.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject:

Wonder how Magic feels about Lonzo not being in the game during clutch time when he was one of our best players tonight. Missing out on key experience in such situations. He wanted Rondo in 2017 by his own admission so they are looking at him to provide competition to Lonzo and be a mentor as well. But Luke sat Lonzo when he was playing really well and then he barely got some mins in the 4th after sitting for long.

Rondo is here on a one year deal and other than LeBron, ZO is the guy you need running the offense in playoffs in coming years. Ingram is a good handler for his size, but ZO has the potential to be top 3 playmaker in the league if not the best. And honestly, this would have been a blowout if ZO had got those additional minutes on the ball Ingram did in first three quarters which ended up being poor turnovers.

Outside of transition we should be relying on LeBron, ZO and Rondo as our ballhandlers. Totally wasting a top playmaker like ZO by having too many cooks when he was doing really well creating in half court as well. Can't help but think the coaching staff is making it really hard for the young guys to be their best versions through gross mismanagement. Ingram's three looks fine to me yet they have him take ugly contested 2s all year rather than make him expand his game to be more efficient.

Last edited by saetarubia on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 am; edited 2 times in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Yeah. The Hawks put the ball in Trae Young's hands with everything on the line and he would've gotten the bucket if it wasn't for Tyson's heroics. I wish Lonzo had the type of ability and mental fortitude that the rookie has.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Wonder how Magic feels about Lonzo not being in the game during clutch time when he was one of our best players tonight. Missing out on key experience in such situations. He wanted Rondo in 2017 by his own admission so they are looking at him to provide competition to Lonzo and be a mentor as well. But Luke say Lonzo when he was playing really well and then he barely got some mins in the 4th after sitting for long.

Rondo is here on a one year deal and other than LeBron, ZO is the guy you need running the offense in playoffs in coming years. Ingram is a good handler for his size, but ZO has the potential to be top 3 playmaker in the league if not the best. And honestly, this would have been a blowout if ZO had got those additional minutes on the ball Ingram did in first three quarters which ended up being poor turnovers.

Outside, transition we should be relying on LeBron, ZO and Rondo as our ballhandlers. Totally wasting a top playmaker like ZO by having too many cooks when he was doing really well creating in half court as well. Can't help but think the coaching staff is making it really hard for the young guys to be their best versions through gross mismanagement. Ingram's three looks fine to me yet they have him take ugly contested 2s all year rather than make him expand his game to be more efficient.

Doesn't this seem very familiar. This was how Luke treated Randle. Judging by the outcome, I wouldn't complain much at this stage
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject:

I believe there are still issues with ZO including he is still hurt and he is having a hard time figuring his roll. Why is he not pushing the ball up? Why is our pg setting so many picks? This kid needs to get in the flow to build confidence. I am not sure if Luke is allowing him to spread his wings so to speak. It seems the only time he gets the ball is when LJ uses the majority of the shot clock and he gets the ball by default. The flow of the offense when running the weave has looked incredible and difficult to defend.

I hate when LJ consistently runs the offense in the 4th. Once in a while is good (especially when we are dormant for several possessions), but telegraphing what we are doing sucks by taking everyone out of the game and making it easy for opposing teams. Our team numbers for scoring and FG% take a big hit in the 4th vs the other 3 quarters.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Yeah. The Hawks put the ball in Trae Young's hands with everything on the line and he would've gotten the bucket if it wasn't for Tyson's heroics. I wish Lonzo had the type of ability and mental fortitude that the rookie has.

He's clearly not that kind of player at this point. Gary Payton always spoke highly of ZO and one thing he says is that how much he struggled as a scorer in his first 2 years in the league. He also played three seasons in college. Averaged 9.4 points in his 2nd NBA season and there were talks that Seattle would trade him. He developed an offensive game gradually and became a 20 ppg scorer in his 5th season. ZO already has the defense and playmaking so why not give him couple more years to become more as a scorer. He couldn't work on much except 3Pt shooting due to his knee surgery in the off season.

Key difference yesterday was that he got into the paint and gave easy dishes to Mcgee. He has the passing skills to find the bigs easily in traffic so that's what I want to see more from him. Be aggressive and he will get the team easy buckets even if he isn't looking to finish using his passing. Even if he misses couple of shots in the paint like yesterday, it will keep the defense guessing and opens up his passing game.

Young is also turning the ball over 4 times on average per game. Shooting 42% and 28% from three. ZO was on a totally different level as a playmaker and defender as a rookie. If he develops into a good scorer like Payton, he's pretty much unstoppable. Most top young players have some holes in their game that they have to develop. Right now ZO has the toughest parts figured out compared to modern PGs who usually struggle to be efficient ballhandlers, minimal defense while coming into the league as volume scorers even if not efficient.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

He's clearly not that kind of player at this point. Gary Payton always spoke highly of ZO and one thing he says is that how much he struggled as a scorer in his first 2 years in the league. He also played three seasons in college. Averaged 9.4 points in his 2nd NBA season and there were talks that Seattle would trade him. He developed an offensive game gradually and became a 20 ppg scorer in his 5th season. ZO already has the defense and playmaking so why not give him couple more years to become more as a scorer. He couldn't work on much except 3Pt shooting due to his knee surgery in the off season.

Key difference yesterday was that he got into the paint and gave easy dishes to Mcgee. He has the passing skills to find the bigs easily in traffic so that's what I want to see more from him. Be aggressive and he will get the team easy buckets even if he isn't looking to finish using his passing. Even if he misses couple of shots in the paint like yesterday, it will keep the defense guessing and opens up his passing game.

Young is also turning the ball over 4 times on average per game. Shooting 42% and 28% from three. ZO was on a totally different level as a playmaker and defender as a rookie. If he develops into a good scorer like Payton, he's pretty much unstoppable. Most top young players have some holes in their game that they have to develop. Right now ZO has the toughest parts figured out compared to modern PGs who usually struggle to be efficient ballhandlers, minimal defense while coming into the league as volume scorers even if not efficient.

This is a very hopeful post. Lonzo played against a poor team who guarded him instinctively instead of game planning for him. They didnt even game plan for him. The first thing on the list is to MAKE HIM A FINISHER. Instead they played him as if he were a finisher and he passed off...as he would have done anyway. His defense is above average...but its not a game changer yet..because his play is just bipolar.

The only way his ballhandling is efficient is because he passes it so quickly. He doesnt probe...or move the defense...they way rondo...or even Trey Young does. Young has the weight of the team on his shoulder...so while his numbers are low, they hold more value. Lonzo at this point...this season..and much of last season is more of a cherry on top. Maybe even whipped cream. I have hopes...but as ive said before....im getting DLO vibes...where the potential is not as good as the production.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Wonder how Magic feels about Lonzo not being in the game during clutch time when he was one of our best players tonight. Missing out on key experience in such situations. He wanted Rondo in 2017 by his own admission so they are looking at him to provide competition to Lonzo and be a mentor as well. But Luke sat Lonzo when he was playing really well and then he barely got some mins in the 4th after sitting for long.

Outside of transition we should be relying on LeBron, ZO and Rondo as our ballhandlers. Totally wasting a top playmaker like ZO by having too many cooks when he was doing really well creating in half court as well. Can't help but think the coaching staff is making it really hard for the young guys to be their best versions through gross mismanagement. Ingram's three looks fine to me yet they have him take ugly contested 2s all year rather than make him expand his game to be more efficient.

This is why I was against Magic yelling at Luke and interfering. Now, he's going to dissect every decision that Luke makes and whether he agrees or not.

Pretty much, it'll make Magic the de facto head coach if he chooses to go down this route.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

This is a very hopeful post. Lonzo played against a poor team who guarded him instinctively instead of game planning for him. They didnt even game plan for him. The first thing on the list is to MAKE HIM A FINISHER. Instead they played him as if he were a finisher and he passed off...as he would have done anyway. His defense is above average...but its not a game changer yet..because his play is just bipolar.

The only way his ballhandling is efficient is because he passes it so quickly. He doesnt probe...or move the defense...they way rondo...or even Trey Young does. Young has the weight of the team on his shoulder...so while his numbers are low, they hold more value. Lonzo at this point...this season..and much of last season is more of a cherry on top. Maybe even whipped cream. I have hopes...but as ive said before....im getting DLO vibes...where the potential is not as good as the production.

He had a lot more responsibilities last season and led the team to 35 wins in the West. I don't want him to play one dimensional like Rondo as well. Rondo is a reluctant shooter and uses up the clock in most plays while being a low volume 3P shooter as well. ZO has the potential to be much more versatile playmaker. My only concern is him becoming passive in some games especially when his shot is not falling early on. Denver are a really good team and that was his best game of the season.

As a play maker, he should develop a more assertive attitude. He said the key difference last night way he had more of the ball. But that's mainly 'cos he was aggressive and wanted it rather than pass early and stand in the corner. Could understand him taking a backseat when Luke used to play Bron, ZO and Rondo in that weird line up in the early games, but since that has stopped, no reason ZO shouldn't be assertive every night.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

You mean behaving like a point guard and not a shooting guard in a point guard's body?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

My initial post is not about his lack of efficiency at scoring. He is not a scorer. Period. But what I wants to see is at least he tries to score like what Rondo did some times. Nash wasn’t a good scorer but he knows when to look to score when he gets the opportunity.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

You mean behaving like a point guard and not a shooting guard in a point guard's body?

Right, so a point guard should NEVER tries to score when he gets the opportunity and just pass the ball even to a non-open teammate. Sometimes you need to look like you have the intention to score in order to create some space for your teammates. I’m not saying he hasn’t done any of it but I would like to see more
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

My initial post is not about his lack of efficiency at scoring. He is not a scorer. Period. But what I wants to see is at least he tries to score like what Rondo did some times. Nash wasn’t a good scorer but he knows when to look to score when he gets the opportunity.

I agree with that. When he's looking to score, game opens up for his passing too. LeBron also said the same after the Nuggets game that he's at his best when he has that mentality.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Right, so a point guard should NEVER tries to score when he gets the opportunity and just pass the ball even to a non-open teammate. Sometimes you need to look like you have the intention to score in order to create some space for your teammates. I’m not saying he hasn’t done any of it but I would like to see more

Yup, probably 95% of the greatest point guards could score. The only one I can think of who couldn't score was Jason Kidd.

Magic
Curry
Isiah
Stockton
Gary Payton
Oscar Robertson
Steve Nash
Mark Price
Tim Hardaway
Chauncey Billups
Kevin Johnson
Chris Paul
Tony Parker
Bob Cousy
Pistol Pete
Walt Frazier
Jerry West
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

No, he can't just chuck up shots and expect the defense to respect his shots. He HAS TO make them. You can't expect the defense to respect your layup/jumpshots if you keep throwing up airballs.

If he doesn't show a threat to score, the defense will just stay at home and stick to their men making it much difficult for Lonzo's teammates to score once they get the pass from Lonzo. Yes, he would be an amazing, amazing PG if he could develop those basics skills of an elite PG. I don't know if he could just go to the gym and start working on his driving layups and pull jumper/floater. If it was that easy, there'd be a lot of elite PG in the league.

His 3-pt percentage is not consistent enough for him to be a spot up shooter so right now, I don't know what kind of role he could play offensively. Lonzo is not gonna be like Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell. He could be like a Bruce Bowens if he could knock those threes. I see that as a potential role for him on the Lakers. Just play tough, solid defense and knock down those threes. Let Lebron, BI, and Rondo be the facilitators.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

No, he can't just chuck up shots and expect the defense to respect his shots. He HAS TO make them. You can't expect the defense to respect your layup/jumpshots if you keep throwing up airballs.

If he doesn't show a threat to score, the defense will just stay at home and stick to their men making it much difficult for Lonzo's teammates to score once they get the pass from Lonzo. Yes, he would be an amazing, amazing PG if he could develop those basics skills of an elite PG. I don't know if he could just go to the gym and start working on his driving layups and pull jumper/floater. If it was that easy, there'd be a lot of elite PG in the league.

His 3-pt percentage is not consistent enough for him to be a spot up shooter so right now, I don't know what kind of role he could play offensively. Lonzo is not gonna be like Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell. He could be like a Bruce Bowens if he could knock those threes. I see that as a potential role for him on the Lakers. Just play tough, solid defense and knock down those threes. Let Lebron, BI, and Rondo be the facilitators.

If only Bowen could average 7.2 assists with 2.6 TO as a rookie. It's obvious that you spend half your posts bashing Lonzo and has only patience with Ingram, but he's not close to being ZO's level as a facilitator consistently. And if ZO comes out aggressively to attack the rim, there will be enough movement for him to find Mcgee or drive and kick. He often goes away and takes a tougher shot with no option to pass.

And there are many elite scorers in the league. Being elite PG is a lot harder 'cos not many have the control and vision to be a efficient play maker with good assist/TO ratio. But maybe you pay no attention to playmaking part given the Bowen comparison.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

Lonzo isn’t a traditional pg, so that is what is fustrating.

He has the ability to do so much more than he does. Such untapped potential.

Was hoping to see more of that this year but so far he gets too passive.

Maybe soon he’ll realize and snap out of it.

Bye.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

If only Bowen could average 7.2 assists with 2.6 TO as a rookie. It's obvious that you spend half your posts bashing Lonzo and has only patience with Ingram, but he's not close to being ZO's level as a facilitator consistently. And if ZO comes out aggressively to attack the rim, there will be enough movement for him to find Mcgee or drive and kick. He often goes away and takes a tougher shot with no option to pass.

And there are many elite scorers in the league. Being elite PG is a lot harder 'cos not many have the control and vision to be a efficient play maker with good assist/TO ratio. But maybe you pay no attention to playmaking part given the Bowen comparison.

I wish Lonzo would do that a lot. I wonder why he doesn't. Maybe it's because he throws up airball half the time? Defenses do not respect Lonzo's threat to score so when he drives, they stick to their men and let Lonzo have the layup. Sometimes, there's two guys on McGee and Lonzo still passes the ball to him. What's the point of giving McGee the ball when he isn't open and force him to make a tough jumper over the defenders?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1286, 1287, 1288 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1287 of 1688
Jump to: