OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1295, 1296, 1297 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

good game by the kid. I would still want him to be more aggressive when hes around the basket. Hes seemingly always blocked, but I think that has more to do with how he delays the release on his layups.

Good defense. Had some nice ball movement and I liked that he was confident in taking threes. Looked like Lebron was force feeding him to get him going.

If we get last night's lonzo, we are golden.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@AlexmRegla

According to NBA' matchup data, Damian Lillard had 46 possessions against Lonzo Ball last night. He went 2-11 (both threes) when defended by Ball within those opportunities.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
@AlexmRegla

According to NBA' matchup data, Damian Lillard had 46 possessions against Lonzo Ball last night. He went 2-11 (both threes) when defended by Ball within those opportunities.

translation: shutdowned
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
@AlexmRegla

Dude is a defensive beast, give us Klay its over for the league
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
@AlexmRegla

Lonzo, Ingram and Chandler anchoring the defense is why the Lakers have turned it around imo.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Chandler falling from the heavens to the Lakers was the lynch pin. Having him on board meant not having to play other guys out of position on defense, which is what caused the entire defensive scheme to collapse. Kyle Kuzma probably still has nightmares about playing small ball center. That allows Lonzo and BI and others to not have to double the post very often and focus on stopping point of attack instead.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
You know I love Lonzo.
But remember, Dame had a bad knee.
Still a good game by Zo.

And he still got his looks, healthy or not.

Even if Lillard was on fire, Lonzo still defended him well.

No doubt.
But I think it's fair to add in all the info we have.
But at the same time, I don't think Zo is 100% yet either.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Chandler falling from the heavens to the Lakers was the lynch pin. Having him on board meant not having to play other guys out of position on defense, which is what caused the entire defensive scheme to collapse. Kyle Kuzma probably still has nightmares about playing small ball center. That allows Lonzo and BI and others to not have to double the post very often and focus on stopping point of attack instead.

IMO we still play guys out of position. BI at the 2 and Hart at the 4. But they get by. I agree, on the Kuzma at center experiment being horrid. But Luke did use that Kuzma at center lineup yesterday when the offense was stale early on.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
@AlexmRegla

Sexy!
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
@AlexmRegla

i could see that he was bothering lillard.

Because He's figuring out lillard's dribbling patterns and his driving Rhythm. everyone has these patterns to their games. its hard to find them for some since they have so many counters and moves. but if you can figure that out. it will help you a lot on defense to know when a guy is probably going to shoot or drive.

Lillard as does CJ. does a lot of stop and go movements. sure they're quick, but it makes it ever harder to guard them when the guy is going 100 mph then stops on a dime, then 50 mph then stops 20, then back to 100. all ...game....long. thats hell for a defender to deal with, then throw in a constant big guy screening you off.

But zo doesnt bite on every hesitation move. he knows its just a fake.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

When Dejounte Murray went down, a spot in the All-Defensive 2nd Team opened up. Think Lonzo takes it.
clockwork247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Lonzo is a good defender because of his size, he's quick enough to keep up with the guards and is as big as a SF...

If he can keep knocking down 3s, and layup he'll be very valuable to this team.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

People were on here crying about Ball because of his air-ball

You all Need to see that he is a defensive passer guard. Think about the Glove mixed with some Nash with Rondos Shot.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

IMO we still play guys out of position. BI at the 2 and Hart at the 4. But they get by. I agree, on the Kuzma at center experiment being horrid. But Luke did use that Kuzma at center lineup yesterday when the offense was stale early on.

hart at the 4 is for a reason. hart is not that good of a defender with todays rules vs other perimeter players. But he is EXCELLENT in todays nba at the PF spot vs most PF's. I know it doesnt sound right, but it is right. Remember Barkley was the height of a josh hart just about and maybe a little taller. Granted he was much heavier. But his strength and athleticism is what allowed him to play PF at such a short height. so its not impossible for a shorter guy to be a solid 4, especialy defensively if that guy has a great core and really knows how to utilize leverage. i told you guys about this awhile ago. leverage means more than pure strength or weight in most situations. Because even stronger bigger guys that dont know how to use their leverage get pushed around in the post. i've seen it too many times. ask yourself who's stronger javale mcgee or josh hart? we're talking pumping iron? it's probably mcghee. Who weighs more? probably Javale. But it doesnt matter. he does not know how to stop a bigger guy from backing him down at will. he has good blocking instincts but thats about it. he's lucky most of the nba dont have true post up bigs.

Notice Chandler is super thin. yet he can stand his ground better than javale and many others. its all about leverage and how you use your core.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
epak wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

hart at the 4 is for a reason. hart is not that good of a defender with todays rules vs other perimeter players. But he is EXCELLENT in todays nba at the PF spot vs most PF's. I know it doesnt sound right, but it is right. Remember Barkley was the height of a josh hart just about and maybe a little taller. Granted he was much heavier. But his strength and athleticism is what allowed him to play PF at such a short height. so its not impossible for a shorter guy to be a solid 4, especialy defensively if that guy has a great core and really knows how to utilize leverage. i told you guys about this awhile ago. leverage means more than pure strength or weight in most situations. Because even stronger bigger guys that dont know how to use their leverage get pushed around in the post. i've seen it too many times. ask yourself who's stronger javale mcgee or josh hart? we're talking pumping iron? it's probably mcghee. Who weighs more? probably Javale. But it doesnt matter. he does not know how to stop a bigger guy from backing him down at will. he has good blocking instincts but thats about it. he's lucky most of the nba dont have true post up bigs.

Notice Chandler is super thin. yet he can stand his ground better than javale and many others. its all about leverage and how you use your core.

I agree that Hart has been effective at the 4.
And he can get by due to his strength, and IMO also because many 4s today (especially those coming off the bench) are just not that good in the low post. There's probably only a handful of teams Hart shouldn't play the 4 against, i.e. San Antonio. Which is good news for the Lakers.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Just sayin, if you extrapolate his stats to his MPG last year, he's averaging 11.5/6.5/6.5 on 41% FG, 38% from 3, and 61% FT. 52% TS.

That's pretty damn solid. Not a crazy improvement from last year as far as counting stats, but given that he missed the entire offseason with the knee injury, and is still figuring out how to play with LeBron and Rondo, I'd say about as good as we can expect. Love to see those massive jumps in his %'s.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
epak wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

I agree that Hart has been effective at the 4.
And he can get by due to his strength, and IMO also because many 4s today (especially those coming off the bench) are just not that good in the low post. There's probably only a handful of teams Hart shouldn't play the 4 against, i.e. San Antonio. Which is good news for the Lakers.
and thats all i'm saying. it looks funny, but its the right thing to do in most situations due to what you just said about backup 4's in the nba. dont put him on Zbo obviously.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Quote:
@AlexmRegla

He's gonna be an All NBA defender this year, 1st or 2nd team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's three is coming around, his defense has taken a step up again and it was already pretty good.

All he really needs at this point is more strength and confidence finishing at the rim and he'll have most of what he needs to reach the ceiling most had for him, which is a ceiling higher than Kidd imo.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

How about them screens he sets. And they’re real screens, unlike the screens that were being set last season. Lopez and Bogut were the only setting real screens, and a lot of them were fouls.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lonzo's three is coming around, his defense has taken a step up again and it was already pretty good.

All he really needs at this point is more strength and confidence finishing at the rim and he'll have most of what he needs to reach the ceiling most had for him, which is a ceiling higher than Kidd imo.

The finishing is going to be a long process. Luckily, he’s already good enough to positively impact the game and help the team without that aspect.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
How about them screens he sets. And they’re real screens, unlike the screens that were being set last season. Lopez and Bogut were the only setting real screens, and a lot of them were fouls.

He’s the best screener on the team. He’s gonna help LeBron a ton by creating mismatches with his screening. How the Warriors handle those situations when Curry is on Lonzo will be interesting.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

He also would need to refine his handles so he be more versatile operating in the half court. Lonzo is usually just a straight line drive.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
When Dejounte Murray went down, a spot in the All-Defensive 2nd Team opened up. Think Lonzo takes it.

He probably would need to average at least two steals a game and get his blocks per game up as well.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

He probably would need to average at least two steals a game and get his blocks per game up as well.

It must be a slow news day if people are speculating about post-season awards. I'm not saying that he will or won't get it, or that he does or doesn't deserve it. But damn, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1295, 1296, 1297 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1296 of 1688
Jump to: