OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1297, 1298, 1299 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Being rah rah does not equal focused or engaged

Being stoic does not equal not focused or engaged

Get yo minds right

Stop projecting what you like unto the Lakers. We will always have a mix of personalities.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/tylernuggets25/status/1063277853037551617?s=21

This is really good defense. Footwork!

Lonzo getting respect from other fan bases.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Well deserved respect. He was flat out shutting Lillard down.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Sweet.
Fans starting to use their brains. I like it.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:
I do notice that guys aren't consistently not guarding him at the 3 like least season. Players seem to notice his three point shooting is better this year.

That's the next step in his evolution: attacking closeouts. I suspect with enough of those whip passes to the perimeter (add drop-offs and oops to the C) opponents will predominantly play him for the pass, leaving him open for bunnies.

I'm just praying he realizes he's 6 6 and can yam it like BI realized.

He isn't very explosive off of one foot. If you look at his dunk highlights from UCLA and his rookie season, you'll see that almost all of his dunks off one foot show Lonzo cuffing the ball. He doesn't get a ton of elevation jumping off one foot.

He's far more explosive off 2 feet with or without the ball, but he only does 2-handed dunks when he jumps off 2 feet. I can see Lonzo yamming on people in the paint if he ever learns how to dunk with one hand off of 2 feet like this:

Obviously, Lonzo doesn't have Kobe's explosiveness, but he's plenty explosive enough to take off in the paint off of 2 feet and throw down a one-handed tomahawk. I've just never seen Lonzo dunk this way.

He reminds me of Shaun Livingston
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:
I do notice that guys aren't consistently not guarding him at the 3 like least season. Players seem to notice his three point shooting is better this year.

That's the next step in his evolution: attacking closeouts. I suspect with enough of those whip passes to the perimeter (add drop-offs and oops to the C) opponents will predominantly play him for the pass, leaving him open for bunnies.

He isn't very explosive off of one foot. If you look at his dunk highlights from UCLA and his rookie season, you'll see that almost all of his dunks off one foot show Lonzo cuffing the ball. He doesn't get a ton of elevation jumping off one foot.

He's far more explosive off 2 feet with or without the ball, but he only does 2-handed dunks when he jumps off 2 feet. I can see Lonzo yamming on people in the paint if he ever learns how to dunk with one hand off of 2 feet like this:

Obviously, Lonzo doesn't have Kobe's explosiveness, but he's plenty explosive enough to take off in the paint off of 2 feet and throw down a one-handed tomahawk. I've just never seen Lonzo dunk this way.

I thought it was due to him not being able to palm the ball.
And not as comfy cuffing the ball and Kobe was.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

Probably one of the issues.
I just think he should stick to the ground become a defensive Nash type of.player.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

I just think he should stick to the ground become a defensive Nash type of.player.

Why
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Get yo minds right

Stop projecting what you like unto the Lakers. We will always have a mix of personalities.

This. Mean mugging doesn’t mean a thing if it isn’t effective. And stoicism doesn’t detract from effectiveness. To try to quote John Wooden: “Don't mistake activity for achievement.”
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Yea. Lance shows a lot of emotion and urgency, but looks like a turnover waiting to happen every time he has the ball. Give me high IQ players who shadows the opposition guard in defense. Very few top PGs like CP3 shows that kind of intensity in defense let alone young ones. You need to care to put that much effort. He doesn't even need to be a slasher to be an all round player. Just need to work on his spots for midrange and work on his post up in the off season. I liked his mid range makes against the Kings and Blazers. Keep working on it.

I think step back three will be his signature shot in coming years just like it was in college. Seems to be his rhythm shot. Both his threes in the first half against the Blazers were step backs and the dagger against the Nuggets which was off the dribble as well.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

Why

Hes not athletic enough that is not his his strength. He needs to Learn how to shoot and stick with mid range and 3s.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

Why

Hes not athletic enough that is not his his strength. He needs to Learn how to shoot and stick with mid range and 3s.

Na
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

Why

Na

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

Why

Na

Perhaps. One of you are onto something. Or nothing at all.
It's like the Ramona being reputable question.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Sweet.
Fans starting to use their brains. I like it.

That’s the trifecta right there: #eyetest, #analytics and #brain

Probably be a true NBA scout with those powers!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

I don't think that not palming the ball is the issue. I think your latter point is relevant in terms of Lonzo being comfortable with dunking the ball a certain way. Off of 2 feet, he only dunks with 2 hands. Off of 1 foot, he almost always cuffs the ball and dunks in one motion. I don't know how important it is for him to learn how to dunk differently especially off of 2 feet, but if he uses only those 2 dunks, we'll never really see him yam on people off the dribble.

With regards to the Livingston comparison, I think it's a fair one. Like Lonzo, Livingston is a lot more explosive off of 2 feet compared to jumping off 1 foot, but he's also taller/longer than Zo and is comfortable dunking with 1 hand while jumping off 2 feet.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I’m glad other fan bases see this too. We didn’t draft Lonzo for his defense, but man does it make up for the fact we passed on Tatum, Fox, and Mitchell. They may never develop into the defender that Lonzo is today. He needs to work on finishing strong at the rim, which he’ll eventually do. Also, SAS isn’t wrong when he says he’d like to see Lonzo engaged more. Lonzo even admitted as much.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

I don't think that not palming the ball is the issue. I think your latter point is relevant in terms of Lonzo being comfortable with dunking the ball a certain way. Off of 2 feet, he only dunks with 2 hands. Off of 1 foot, he almost always cuffs the ball and dunks in one motion. I don't know how important it is for him to learn how to dunk differently especially off of 2 feet, but if he uses only those 2 dunks, we'll never really see him yam on people off the dribble.

With regards to the Livingston comparison, I think it's a fair one. Like Lonzo, Livingston is a lot more explosive off of 2 feet compared to jumping off 1 foot, but he's also taller/longer than Zo and is comfortable dunking with 1 hand while jumping off 2 feet.

I want to say Livingston is 6' 7" and Ball is 6' 6". I think Ball is what Livingston was supposed to be.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

I want to say Livingston is 6' 7" and Ball is 6' 6". I think Ball is what Livingston was supposed to be.
supposed to be? livingston was that until he suffered that crazy injury.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Get yo minds right

Back in the day, my father in law always believed that Walton was way better than Kareem. It seemed like the reason was because Bill was more demonstrative. Drove me crazy.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:

supposed to be? livingston was that until he suffered that crazy injury.

True, seems as if PG was the only player to return from a crazy injury.

Bogut= Nope
Livingston=Nope
PG=Yes
Hayward=too soon to tell
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:
defense wrote:

Get yo minds right

Back in the day, my father in law always believed that Walton was way better than Kareem. It seemed like the reason was because Bill was more demonstrative. Drove me crazy.

If we are talking about Zo, he himself said he needs to be more engaged. Google it if you want...

I personally like his development just fine.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Jenn wrote:
defense wrote:

Get yo minds right

If we are talking about Zo, he himself said he needs to be more engaged. Google it if you want...

I personally like his development just fine.

True. I think OP should have used "passion" which some people were posting last week.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

All-NBA defender: check
3-pt shooting: check
Passing: check
Making winning plays (deflections, elite screener, pushing pace): check
Showing signs of mid-range jumper: check

Things left: finishing, FTs, floaters
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

It might be a little too early for him? I hope not, I'm rooting for Lonzo man, I think he actually has it in him. This next month and half is probably the most pivotal moment of his young Laker career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1297, 1298, 1299 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1298 of 1688
Jump to: