OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1395, 1396, 1397 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
OCWA wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

So you're saying the team has mental health professionals that they work with and anyone they see missing shots, they send to this mental health professional?

So, does that include Svi cuz he's been missing shots all year? Do they send him to this mental health professional as well? Who determines who gets sent? Magic? With his no college degree? Pelinka?

I get what the OP is saying although I would have expressed it differently. Lest anyone forget the player formally known as Ron Artest did credit his sports psychologist for getting him focused enough to win a championship.

The term mental health might imply that there's something wrong with Lonzo. This, I disagree with. Lonzo is fine both mentally and physically as far as I can tell watching him on TV. However, even healthy athletes benefit from having sessions with sports psychologists centred around improving their focus and keeping any unnecessary anxiety/nervousness in check. I would think seeing a sports psychologist is the mental equivalent of taking vitamins to help the body.

It's different if a player seeks out the help of a sports psychologist than it is for a team to tell a player to go see one. If a "sports psychologist is the mental equivalent of taking vitamins to help the body" then everyone on the team should be seeing one, not just Lonzo.

I would agree actually. Everyone should have mental preparation. Phil had his Zen Sessions with his teams and all that got him was a bucketful of championships.

I still say its just a question of terminology. Coaches have been doing this for years for the entire team. Sports psychology is just a more scientific approach to a pretty usual practice. Mindfulness meditation is pretty useful for high stress/quick reacting professions such as sports. I wouldn't be surprised if many top atheletes actually employ it.

Which is not what the OP was referring to. He was talking about getting Lonzo help in the psychiatric sense of the word. He referred to "head cases."

I don't think he was saying the Lakers need to get Lonzo some more mindfulness meditation.

I think everyone, not just athletes, can benefit from therapy. Considering that I don't like the stigma attached to mental health issues, I probably shouldn't have used the phrase 'Head case".

Yeah, now you're just changing your tone.

Here's exactly what you said:

OCWA wrote:
If the FO hasn't contacted a sports psychologist regarding Lonzo then they are shirking their duties and not properly protecting an important investment.

If you're saying everyone on the Lakers need therapy, then why single out Lonzo? Why are they not properly protecting their investment in regards to Lonzo but no on else?

Just yesterday I noticed you were trying to point out to someone they supposedly used a homophobic slur, today you're really laying into this guy for possibly writing a slight against the mentally ill.
Not even joking If LG is looking for a new mod I nominate you- sheriff LBP!
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
OCWA wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

So you're saying the team has mental health professionals that they work with and anyone they see missing shots, they send to this mental health professional?

So, does that include Svi cuz he's been missing shots all year? Do they send him to this mental health professional as well? Who determines who gets sent? Magic? With his no college degree? Pelinka?

I get what the OP is saying although I would have expressed it differently. Lest anyone forget the player formally known as Ron Artest did credit his sports psychologist for getting him focused enough to win a championship.

The term mental health might imply that there's something wrong with Lonzo. This, I disagree with. Lonzo is fine both mentally and physically as far as I can tell watching him on TV. However, even healthy athletes benefit from having sessions with sports psychologists centred around improving their focus and keeping any unnecessary anxiety/nervousness in check. I would think seeing a sports psychologist is the mental equivalent of taking vitamins to help the body.

It's different if a player seeks out the help of a sports psychologist than it is for a team to tell a player to go see one. If a "sports psychologist is the mental equivalent of taking vitamins to help the body" then everyone on the team should be seeing one, not just Lonzo.

I would agree actually. Everyone should have mental preparation. Phil had his Zen Sessions with his teams and all that got him was a bucketful of championships.

I still say its just a question of terminology. Coaches have been doing this for years for the entire team. Sports psychology is just a more scientific approach to a pretty usual practice. Mindfulness meditation is pretty useful for high stress/quick reacting professions such as sports. I wouldn't be surprised if many top atheletes actually employ it.

Which is not what the OP was referring to. He was talking about getting Lonzo help in the psychiatric sense of the word. He referred to "head cases."

I don't think he was saying the Lakers need to get Lonzo some more mindfulness meditation.

I think everyone, not just athletes, can benefit from therapy. Considering that I don't like the stigma attached to mental health issues, I probably shouldn't have used the phrase 'Head case".

Yeah, now you're just changing your tone.

Here's exactly what you said:

OCWA wrote:
If the FO hasn't contacted a sports psychologist regarding Lonzo then they are shirking their duties and not properly protecting an important investment.

If you're saying everyone on the Lakers need therapy, then why single out Lonzo? Why are they not properly protecting their investment in regards to Lonzo but no on else?

The more I have thought about the issue the more I am convinced that in this day and age that most teams probably do have someone that addresses such issues. It only makes sense. In regards to Lonzo, yes, I do think he has anxiety issues. I'm not a professional though, so this is just my personal opinion.

Now get back to your law firm and do some important work instead of wasting time settling the hash of Lakers fans.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
The more I have thought about the issue the more I am convinced that in this day and age that most teams probably do have someone that addresses such issues. It only makes sense. In regards to Lonzo, yes, I do think he has anxiety issues. I'm not a professional though, so this is just my personal opinion.

Now get back to your law firm and do some important work instead of wasting time settling the hash of Lakers fans.

Guess you feel taking the time to read and respond to your opinion is a waste of time. I didn't know you just wanted to express an opinion that no one actually reads. Well, carry on then.

Funny how people come on a message board looking for a discussion, then when they get one, they feel some other kind of way....
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Guess you feel taking the time to read and respond to your opinion is a waste of time. I didn't know you just wanted to express an opinion that no one actually cared about. Well, carry on then.

Seriously, I have enjoyed the engagement. My thinking evolved under your pressure. That is always a good thing. The last part of my comment was just a joke regarding your lawyer like disagreeableness. It's all good.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Guess you feel taking the time to read and respond to your opinion is a waste of time. I didn't know you just wanted to express an opinion that no one actually cared about. Well, carry on then.

Seriously, I have enjoyed the engagement. My thinking evolved under your pressure. That is always a good thing. The last part of my comment was just a joke regarding your lawyer like disagreeableness. It's all good.

Good. Nothing personal. Just disagreeing with your opinion that's all.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

I'll take last night's Lonzo the rest of the year.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

RichD wrote:

Defense, Dunking, Transition Game & Ball Movement Absolutely

Kid is fighting his shot mechanics to the point where it's gotten into his head that he's questioning himself.

His Full Court pick up style of D is elite...like best in the league elite.

I'm really pulling for him to get his jumper solved so he can be a threat teams can't sag off of and that is something a player can fix during a season.

But I could deal with his 2nd half last night all year...that WTF layup is hard to unsee.

#BannersOverBillboards
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
RichD wrote:

Kid is fighting his shot mechanics to the point where it's gotten into his head that he's questioning himself.

I'm really pulling for him to get his jumper solved so he can be a threat teams can't sag off of and that is something a player can fix during a season.

But I could deal with his 2nd half last night all year...that WTF layup is hard to unsee.

The behind the back pass was harder to unsee
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RichD wrote:

Yeah...that was out of character for him for sure but he followed it up next possession with an assist to TC.

That whiff on the layup reminded me of Something About Mary with the zipper incident...What...On Earth...Were You Thinking?

#BannersOverBillboards
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RichD wrote:

Yeah...that was out of character for him for sure but he followed it up next possession with an assist to TC.

That whiff on the layup reminded me of Something About Mary with the zipper incident...What...On Earth...Were You Thinking?

Yea and he had a good pass to Lance right before it but it was one of the worst passes I’ve ever seen. Not that the layup was any better haha
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RichD wrote:

Yea and he had a good pass to Lance right before it but it was one of the worst passes I’ve ever seen. Not that the layup was any better haha

Kids...what would a day be like without several WTF moments?

#BannersOverBillboards
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RichD wrote:

Kids...what would a day be like without several WTF moments?

Luckily the Lakers kids are showing they can hoop between those moments.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Yep. He's still making mistakes.
But I like the positives he's showing.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo's mistake was letting his Dad coach him. So many fundamental issues with his jumper it may never be completely fixed. That will prevent him from reaching the status expected of the #2 pick. Clearly he lacks confidence as a shooter as well.

Feels more like Ricky Rubio than Jason Kidd.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Yeah. The mistakes are fixable.
Those untangibles, OTOH, can't be taught. Guy has crazy instincts.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Kid is amazing.

He's essentially Point Guard Draymond from an impact standpoint. He impacts the game in very unique ways regarding his position.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Me too totally...and we're doing all this and still winning which is the most important to me.

You know I'm right up there with the biggest Zo fans on LG, but I'm also big on BI, JHart, and Kuz. I refuse to choose.

I liked the look in his eyes in SA even though the refs made sure we never ran away with the game and our Bigs pooped the bed against their backups. He looked like he had figured something out with his stroke, even the misses were on target.

Then memphis...WTF

I have liked how he's bouncing back after poor halves...but I am wondering why we don't have a dedicated shooting coach, for Zo and for FTs if nothing else.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Lonzo's mistake was letting his Dad coach him. So many fundamental issues with his jumper it may never be completely fixed. That will prevent him from reaching the status expected of the #2 pick. Clearly he lacks confidence as a shooter as well.

Ricky never played D like that...never, not a day in his life.

#BannersOverBillboards
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

Ricky never played D like that...never, not a day in his life.

Agreed, Rubio was always a solid defender but Ball is not only physically better, he's also a smarter defender.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:

Lavar probably had him shooting nba 3s as a 5 year old. Hence the way he shoots flinging the ball from the side.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

Lavar probably had him shooting nba 3s as a 5 year old. Hence the way he shoots flinging the ball from the side.

He also had him playing up a few age groups so he had to circus the ball around bigger kids.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

lordtrapula wrote:
Kid is amazing.

He's essentially Point Guard Draymond from an impact standpoint. He impacts the game in very unique ways regarding his position.

Love this POV

He really is more like a Defensive ball moving specialist.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:

Maybe a similar skill set to Rubio but Zo has better athleticism so will eventually be superior to RR.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Zo is like the point guard version of Dennis Rodman, horrible at scoring, but does everything else so well, has no ego of any kind.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

RichD wrote:

He shot 36% from the field and 33% from 3. I won't take that Lonzo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1395, 1396, 1397 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1396 of 1688
Jump to: