OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1397, 1398, 1399 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Rubio is a valuable and underrated player but if you don’t see why many feel Lonzo projects to be much better I think you’re ignoring the facts. Lonzo is a much better shooter than 2nd year Rubio. He’s shooting 32% from 3 on 4 per game while Rubio shot 29% on 1.6 per game. Lonzo also has a higher FG% and considerably higher efg% than second year Rubio. They are comparable players right now, in a few years Lonzo will more than likely far surpass him. Who’s a better defender is very debatable though, I agree with that part. I prefer Zo because of his ability to pick up full court and guard multiple positions but Rubio is one of the few guys in the NBA with as quick of hands as him and manages to get more steals while gambling less. I’m a Rubio fan which is part of the reason I’m such a big Lonzo fan. A second year player who’s already on par with him as a player and has far more physical gifts projects to be much better and a damn good NBA player. Rubio is his floor.

I think the differences (very very slight) that you're quoting for 2nd year Lonzo and Rubio are due much more to today's pace of play and analytics driven league.

Lonzo better have a much better eFG% today.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Rubio is a valuable and underrated player but if you don’t see why many feel Lonzo projects to be much better I think you’re ignoring the facts. Lonzo is a much better shooter than 2nd year Rubio. He’s shooting 32% from 3 on 4 per game while Rubio shot 29% on 1.6 per game. Lonzo also has a higher FG% and considerably higher efg% than second year Rubio. They are comparable players right now, in a few years Lonzo will more than likely far surpass him. Who’s a better defender is very debatable though, I agree with that part. I prefer Zo because of his ability to pick up full court and guard multiple positions but Rubio is one of the few guys in the NBA with as quick of hands as him and manages to get more steals while gambling less. I’m a Rubio fan which is part of the reason I’m such a big Lonzo fan. A second year player who’s already on par with him as a player and has far more physical gifts projects to be much better and a damn good NBA player. Rubio is his floor.

I think the differences (very very slight) that you're quoting for 2nd year Lonzo and Rubio are due much more to today's pace of play and analytics driven league.

The 3 point shooting is not a slight difference let alone a very slight difference. 2.5% better on over twice as many attempts infers he’s a considerably better shooter.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

The 3 point shooting is not a slight difference let alone a very slight difference. 2.5% better on over twice as many attempts infers he’s a considerably better shooter.

Yet still terrible, you'd agree? And I mean historically terrible.

So on a scale of 1-10 (10 being Curry), they're at 1 and 1.2?

Sheesh!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Sheesh!

32% on 4 per isn’t a terrible shooter IMO. Probably a 3 or 3.5 and 1 on your scale. But yes both bad just different levels of it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Sheesh!

32% on 4 per isn’t a terrible shooter IMO. Probably a 3 or 3.5 and 1 on your scale. But yes both bad just different levels of it.

For a guard, it's pretty bad. Lower than that and you can't even be categorized as a viable 3pt shooter.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Sheesh!

For a guard, it's pretty bad. Lower than that and you can't even be categorized as a viable 3pt shooter.

Yea I suspect he gets up to 34-36% by the end of the year though. He started shooting better as the season went on last year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Yea I suspect he gets up to 34-36% by the end of the year though. He started shooting better as the season went on last year.

True, but he still finished at 31% last year. I too hope he improves that area of his game (among others).

But it's ok to say he's shooting terribly from 3 man. It's the truth and we're all hoping he improves on it.

Where it's really bringing him down is on the road. He is just awful on the road this year in general and his 3pt shooting is exceptionally bad.

43.3% 3pt FG% at home
18.0% 3pt FG% on the road
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

True, but he still finished at 31% last year. I too hope he improves that area of his game (among others).

But it's ok to say he's shooting terribly from 3 man. It's the truth and we're all hoping he improves on it.

Where it's really bringing him down is on the road. He is just awful on the road this year in general and his 3pt shooting is exceptionally bad.

43.3% 3pt FG% at home

Recently and on the road he’s been terrible but for the season as a whole I wouldn’t consider him a terrible shooter. Yea it’s ok to call it that I understand why but I disagree. He’s crazy streaky right now as he was last year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

43.3% 3pt FG% at home

Recently and on the road he’s been terrible but for the season as a whole I wouldn’t consider him a terrible shooter. Yea it’s ok to call it that I understand why but I disagree. He’s crazy streaky right now as he was last year.

He's at 31.8% on the season.

He is just about at Rajon Rondo's career 3pt mark (.311) for this season (.318) and for his career (.309).

If you shoot like Rajon Rondo has for the majority of his career, I mean, that's pretty terrible. Let's hope he improves. I agree with you that I think he will as well as his confidence builds, but, we gotta call a spade a spade here.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

43.3% 3pt FG% at home

He's at 31.8% on the season.

He is just about at Rajon Rondo's career 3pt mark (.311) for this season (.318) and for his career (.309).

If you shoot like Rajon Rondo has for the majority of his career, I mean, that's pretty terrible. Let's hope he improves. I agree with you that I think he will as well as his confidence builds, but, we gotta call a spade a spade here.

Bad but not terrible is my opinion but we’re splitting hairs. Attempts matter to me as more attempts commands more gravity.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:

Sheesh!

Yeah, historically terrible.

So guys who have shot under 33% on 4 3PA/G: Lebron, Kobe, Westbrook, Iverson, McGrady, Pippen, Drexler, Payton, Pierce, Kidd, Reggie Miller--so basically a bunch of HoFers.

Who else: KCP, Rose, Kemba, Kyrie, Crawford, Dinwiddie, Smart, Hardaway Jr., Jrue, Beal...and, oh yeah, this guy Kuzma.

But wait there's more! Jamal Murray--this season. Gary Harris. Gallinari. Love. Gordon. Wall. Rubio. Arenas. Donovan Mitchell. LaVine. DLO. Carmelo. IT. Nick Young. Embiid.

Altogether there have been 175 times someone has shot more than 4 3's per game at 33% or worse.

Looking at just the last 3 seasons it has happened 50 times. And this season there are 31 guys there. This season Ball is ahead of Murray, Embiid, Love, Wall, Mitchell, Holiday and Westbrook (who is at 22% on 5 attempts per).

But yeah, historically bad.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Sheesh!

So guys who have shot under 33% on 4 3PA/G: Lebron, Kobe, Westbrook, Iverson, McGrady, Pippen, Drexler, Payton, Pierce, Kidd, Reggie Miller--so basically a bunch of HoFers.

Who else: KCP, Rose, Kemba, Kyrie, Crawford, Dinwiddie, Smart, Hardaway Jr., Jrue, Beal...and, oh yeah, this guy Kuzma.

But wait there's more! Jamal Murray--this season. Gary Harris. Gallinari. Love. Gordon. Wall. Rubio. Arenas. Donovan Mitchell. LaVine. DLO. Carmelo. IT. Nick Young. Embiid.

Altogether there have been 175 times someone has shot more than 4 3's per game at 33% or worse.

Looking at just the last 3 seasons it has happened 50 times. And this season there are 31 guys there. This season Ball is ahead of Murray, Embiid, Love, Wall, Mitchell, Holiday and Westbrook (who is at 22% on 5 attempts per).

This is lacking some context but yea it’s why I wouldn’t consider him a terrible shooter this year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Sheesh!

A lot of those guys are volume shooters though and some of them have shown a proclivity to shoot efficiently from there.

This season, there is only one player taking half or more of their shots from 3pt range (minimum 4.9 3PA/G which is Lonzo's career average) and shooting below 32% and that is Jae Crowder.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Bad but not terrible is my opinion but we’re splitting hairs. Attempts matter to me as more attempts commands more gravity.

I'd say Lonzo is terrible and Rondo is bad when you put it in the context of today's game vs 10 years ago. It was easier for Rondo to get away with being a crap 3-point shooter 10 years ago. Today, it's the kiss of death for a guard.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
RG73 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Sheesh!

A lot of those guys are volume shooters though and some of them have shown a proclivity to shoot efficiently from there.

This season, there is only one player taking half or more of their shots from 3pt range (minimum 4.9 3PA/G which is Lonzo's career average) and shooting below 32% and that is Jae Crowder.

The point is that he is not historically bad. He's just bad. And it is exacerbated because of the high variance in his shot--his misses are often embarrassingly bad. Kuzma, who is barely shooting better than Zo (and shot worse than him from 3 most of the season until recently) gets a pass because his misses are usually close. Ditto with a lot of those other guys--they're missing by inches, not miles. Zo's misses at the rim or behind the arc are by miles. They're ridiculous. But over the course of the season he is still managing to not have a historically bad shooting season.

I think we might be able to speak to him having historically bad shooting mechanics. The fact that he's still making around 1 in 3 shots with his awful mechanics and seeming confidence issues actually bodes well long term. Lets just flip how we view it--we have a kid who has no idea how to shoot or make a lay up making 32% of his 3s, and around 59% at the rim as an NBA starter. That's just natural talent because the skill isn't there. The physical attributes are all there, he just needs actual coaching and skill training, something he obviously didn't get a lot of with his dad.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Part of the reason Kuzma gets a pass relative to Lonzo is because he's already shown he can shoot 36% on high volume last year. Even then people were criticizing him and some were saying his 3 point shooting last year was a fluke, but overall you expect to hear less criticism towards a guy who's done it before.

I agree Lonzo is not historically bad. Giannis has been historically bad. Trae Young has been historically bad. Lonzo is garden variety bad.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I'd say Lonzo is terrible and Rondo is bad when you put it in the context of today's game vs 10 years ago. It was easier for Rondo to get away with being a crap 3-point shooter 10 years ago. Today, it's the kiss of death for a guard.

It's fine if he can finish this season around 34% as he is a high volume shooter. It's much worse to have a guard who takes only 1 or 2 a game at a low percentage and thus limiting the floor space. Such players better be money from midrange and around the rim.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

43.3% 3pt FG% at home

Noticed this too. It's weird 'cos he had his share of good games on road last year including the triple double at Bucks early on in his career.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo can only score by dunk or three so what else do you guys want him to do? If his shooting #'s are terrible then it is what it is. We just have to play around it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Part of the reason Kuzma gets a pass relative to Lonzo is because he's already shown he can shoot 36% on high volume last year. Even then people were criticizing him and some were saying his 3 point shooting last year was a fluke, but overall you expect to hear less criticism towards a guy who's done it before.

I agree Lonzo is not historically bad. Giannis has been historically bad. Trae Young has been historically bad. Lonzo is garden variety bad.

The major reason why Kuzma gets a pass is that he has shown the ability to be a volume scorer, at least when he gets hot. His three point shooting is down, but he is making 58% of his twos, in large part become he has figured out how to play with Lebron.

Volume scoring is an underrated ability. People will put up with bad defense from a guy who can score 20+. I see people making snarky comments about how everyone overvalues Player X because he shoots a lot and scores a lot, even though he isn't very efficient. Well, that basically describes Kobe's career. Volume scoring matters.

Recently, Kuzma seems to be getting over his allergy to rebounding. As a result, he is not as embarrassing on defense as he used to be.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo’s shooting is back to where it was last season. I knew he would fall back down to earth. He’s a bad shooter
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
UniqueSports + ‏@UniqueSportplus

Lonzo Ball is holding Opposing Point Gaurds to 97-298 (32.55%) FG% over 27 Games to start the NBA season.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:

The major reason why Kuzma gets a pass is that he has shown the ability to be a volume scorer, at least when he gets hot. His three point shooting is down, but he is making 58% of his twos, in large part become he has figured out how to play with Lebron.

Volume scoring is an underrated ability. People will put up with bad defense from a guy who can score 20+. I see people making snarky comments about how everyone overvalues Player X because he shoots a lot and scores a lot, even though he isn't very efficient. Well, that basically describes Kobe's career. Volume scoring matters.

Recently, Kuzma seems to be getting over his allergy to rebounding. As a result, he is not as embarrassing on defense as he used to be.

I very mich disagree with the bolded and that explains a lot about why we disagree so much regarding Lonzo.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Lonzo Ball is holding Opposing Point Gaurds to 97-298 (32.55%) FG% over 27 Games to start the NBA season.

Is there data regarding how he defends other positions.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

How dare you show a positive in the "Bash Lonzo Thread" be gone with you.

JK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1397, 1398, 1399 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1398 of 1688
Jump to: