OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1424, 1425, 1426 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Did Lonzo really "shut down" Kemba?

https://streamable.com/a61vg

rotflmao. yep, those are the 10 missed shots of the 1 of the 11 when Zo is guarding Kemba.

I guess Zo’s 3ft separation defense didn’t work on Wall tonight.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ShawnFNBA/status/1074406702265491456
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
https://twitter.com/ShawnFNBA/status/1074406702265491456

OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Did Lonzo really "shut down" Kemba?

https://streamable.com/a61vg

rotflmao. yep, those are the 10 missed shots of the 1 of the 11 when Zo is guarding Kemba.

I guess Zo’s 3ft separation defense didn’t work on Wall tonight.

You can speed someone up and make them uncomfortable with tenacity, length, reputation, taunting, and many many other ways. That doesn't mean someone won't still get some decent looks, but they are thrown off just enough. Kemba missed shots and Lonzo was energetic and active on D. Zo did his job and Kemba didn't. The results are what they are no matter how much you deconstruct them.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Lonzo (unlike Ingram) is able to dominate the game without dominating the ball. The jumper is never going to be "wet" off the dribble. But he will develop a very reliable set shot which inspires Michael Myers level fear in the opposition.

What makes you believe this? Most of Zo's jumpers are already wide open because the defense sags off him and dares him to shoot. I haven't seen any evidence that supports the idea that Zo will develop a reliable set shot. In fact, some of his shots off the dribble have BETTER form than his set shot.

I'm sure in Zo's mind, he has the belief that is current form got him to the NBA, but I'd argue it's really the other aspects of his game that got him to the NBA. Hopefully he can acknowledge that his shot is a weakness and work on it (as long as he doesn't Fultz himself that is...)

There was a post some pages back which showed statistics indicating that Zo was actually a decent shooter at Staples but a terrible shooter in road games.

I don't think its even a question of being open or his unconventional form. The main cause for his Jekyll and Hyde performances is mental. He can't really handle the pressure yet. When things don't go his way early, he get anxious and falters. I think this will be less of an issue as he gets more experienced. He's only in his 2nd year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

Was Lonzo guarding wall today?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject:

I'm playing Lonzo in Draftkings next game against Brooklyn. I think he matches up favorably against DLO and Dinwiddle.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Was Lonzo guarding wall today?

Lakers Vs Wizards

Lonzo Defense Stats
Wizards shoot 11-23 (47.8%) against Ball
John Wall was 8-15 (53.33%) against Lonzo; and 8-12 (67.67%) against all other Lakers
Beal 1-2
Dekker 2-5
White 0-1
3 Steals 2 Blocks
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
Hopefully he can acknowledge that his shot is a weakness and work on it (as long as he doesn't Fultz himself that is...)

Fultz career FG%: .414
Lonzo career FG%: .370

Sadly, Fultzing himself would improve his FG%.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
Hopefully he can acknowledge that his shot is a weakness and work on it (as long as he doesn't Fultz himself that is...)

Fultz: 680 career minutes
Lonzo: 2612 career minutes.

Yeah, not a great comparison.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
I don't think its even a question of being open or his unconventional form. The main cause for his Jekyll and Hyde performances is mental. He can't really handle the pressure yet. When things don't go his way early, he get anxious and falters. I think this will be less of an issue as he gets more experienced. He's only in his 2nd year.

Honestly, I agree with it being mental, but I don't think it's going to get better. I don't think he can handle the pressure of playing for the Lakers or playing with LeBron. He might do better playing in Memphis or Denver. First thing's first, Magic and the org have to step in and tell him that all of his side projects have to stop and he needs to give 100% to basketball. Shaq could have a rap career on the side, because he came into the league and started dominating. Lonzo can't have a show and go out there and shoot 37% from the field.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

There's no way you can spin shooting 37% from the field as anything other than horrible.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

Honestly, I agree with it being mental, but I don't think it's going to get better. I don't think he can handle the pressure of playing for the Lakers or playing with LeBron. He might do better playing in Memphis or Denver. First thing's first, Magic and the org have to step in and tell him that all of his side projects have to stop and he needs to give 100% to basketball. Shaq could have a rap career on the side, because he came into the league and started dominating. Lonzo can't have a show and go out there and shoot 37% from the field.

It's not like he has an acting career on the side. He's living his life and just has cameras around. That's the show. And how do you conclude he can't handle the pressure of playing for Lakers? Is it like other young players are good at scoring, defense and passing already? ZO got two of those covered at a good level already. And he's the youngest and most inexperienced of the lot.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

It's not like he has an acting career on the side. He's living his life and just has cameras around. That's the show.

Yeah, and the Kardashians are just "living their lives". Totally not scripted.

saetarubia wrote:

And how do you conclude he can't handle the pressure of playing for Lakers?

His shot has completely abandoned him, and he's playing with zero confidence on the offensive end. The Charlotte game aside, most nights he doesn't even look like he belongs on an NBA floor on offense outside of his passing ability. His defense doesn't make up for him being a black hole on offense.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

It's not like he has an acting career on the side. He's living his life and just has cameras around. That's the show.

Yeah, and the Kardashians are just "living their lives". Totally not scripted.

saetarubia wrote:

And how do you conclude he can't handle the pressure of playing for Lakers?

His shot has completely abandoned him, and he's playing with zero confidence on the offensive end. The Charlotte game aside, most nights he doesn't even look like he belongs on an NBA floor on offense outside of his passing ability. His defense doesn't make up for him being a black hole on offense.

His critics say he can't be compared to Kidd, yet Kidd had 9 seasons in the NBA shooting in 30s. The year he won the title, he shot his lowest 36.1 in 80 starts. Yet that's a massive issue for 2nd year ZO even though he has passing and defense too?

I don't watch Kardashians. There's no drama in Ball show except from LaVar which is his real self I guess.

Last edited by saetarubia on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

There's no way you can spin shooting 37% from the field as anything other than horrible.

But using a guy who played 26% of the same minutes as Lonzo is not an apt comparison.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
LakersDC wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Lonzo (unlike Ingram) is able to dominate the game without dominating the ball. The jumper is never going to be "wet" off the dribble. But he will develop a very reliable set shot which inspires Michael Myers level fear in the opposition.

What makes you believe this? Most of Zo's jumpers are already wide open because the defense sags off him and dares him to shoot. I haven't seen any evidence that supports the idea that Zo will develop a reliable set shot. In fact, some of his shots off the dribble have BETTER form than his set shot.

I'm sure in Zo's mind, he has the belief that is current form got him to the NBA, but I'd argue it's really the other aspects of his game that got him to the NBA. Hopefully he can acknowledge that his shot is a weakness and work on it (as long as he doesn't Fultz himself that is...)

There was a post some pages back which showed statistics indicating that Zo was actually a decent shooter at Staples but a terrible shooter in road games.

This is why I’m a big believer of the “dialed his head in” theory.

So you’re saying he’s only dialing his head in for home games but not road games?

That makes sense.

When’s our next home game?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Anyways, haters can keep on yapping about how he doesn't belong at the Lakers. Bron has been saying otherwise and so far his actions haven't been different. They made tweaks to his shot in the offseason. I support changing it gradually rather than forcing a complete change on what he did for so many years ala Fultz.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

He had a tremendous game against Kemba and a poor one against the Wiz.

Inconsistency is a bit of a given with such young point guards, especially one whose offensive game is a major work in progress.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Inconsistency is a bit of a given with such young point guards, especially one whose offensive game is a major work in progress.

He had 4 straight poor games before Charlotte and a poor game after Charlotte. Charlotte is the outlier.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
His critics say he can't be compared to Kidd, yet Kidd had 9 seasons in the NBA shooting in 30s. The year he won the title, he shot his lowest 36.1 in 80 starts. Yet that's a massive issue for 2nd year ZO even though he has passing and defense too?

Kidd could get away with that in the 90s/early 00s. Lonzo can't get away with that today. Plus Kidd was a 33% 3-point shooter in college, while Lonzo shot 41% from 3. We didn't draft Lonzo to be early Jason Kidd from 3-point range.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

How did I know Lonzo would have this type of game after the other night? Way too obvious.

Annnnnd Doncic drops 28 pts / 6 rb / 9 ast with 9/15 shooting

Fox drops 28 Pts, 5 Assists
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He had 4 straight poor games before Charlotte and a poor game after Charlotte. Charlotte is the outlier.

7/3r/8a
10/7/4
4/2/2
13/4/11
14/4/9

5 games b/f CHA averages: 9.6/4/6.8/1.8spg.

I mean it's not great but to say he had 4 poor games prior is not true. I'd say he had 3 good games, 1 bad game, 1 poor game.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

Threatt_Level wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Kidd could get away with that in the 90s/early 00s. Lonzo can't get away with that today. Plus Kidd was a 33% 3-point shooter in college, while Lonzo shot 41% from 3. We didn't draft Lonzo to be early Jason Kidd from 3-point range.

Kidd got away with it in 2010-11 on a championship team. Good thing ZO was a better shooter in college. Maybe he will fix his shot unlike Kidd then. You expect a lot of struggles with one and dones early in their career in most cases. Ingram shot 3 well in college and then 29% in his rookie season.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

I just looked at Lonzo's 2018 numbers, my god these are straight trash...his stats are worse than Smush Parker's LAL numbers.

We really need to find a starting PG, he really is not the one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1424, 1425, 1426 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1425 of 1688
Jump to: