OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1523, 1524, 1525 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

He is also 4 of 17 from the FT line since LeBron has been out which just boggles the mind. We can cherry pick the stats however we like to fit an agenda. Truth of the matter is he needs to put in some serious work next summer.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lakers Young Core's Three Point Shooting since LeBron has been out:

Lonzo Ball: 40%

With Lebron being out, Lonzo has been playing great. That supports my theory about not playing Lonzo alongside Lebron once he comes back. Lonzo should NOT be in the starting and closing unit with Lebron.

Lonzo will still get his 30 minutes a game but the aim is to have him and Lebron on the floor at least as possible. If Lebron and Lonzo were to play 30+ minutes a game, then they'd have to have about 10-15 minutes where they have to be on the floor together. This could happen in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Lonzo leading the second unit would make our bench very formidable. So now teams would have to actually deal with Lebron and Lonzo.

I hope Luke realizes this though. I love watching Snyder yesterday to see what a smart coach could do. If only Luke was smart enough and see the obvious.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

KCP: 38%
Brandon Ingram: 28.6%
Josh Hart: 27.7%
Kyle Kuzma: 25%

Imagine what Lonzo would shoot if he got to play a whole season w/o LeBron
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

With Lebron being out, Lonzo has been playing great. That supports my theory about not playing Lonzo alongside Lebron once he comes back. Lonzo should NOT be in the starting and closing unit with Lebron.

Lonzo will still get his 30 minutes a game but the aim is to have him and Lebron on the floor at least as possible. If Lebron and Lonzo were to play 30+ minutes a game, then they'd have to have about 10-15 minutes where they have to be on the floor together. This could happen in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Lonzo leading the second unit would make our bench very formidable. So now teams would have to actually deal with Lebron and Lonzo.

I hope Luke realizes this though. I love watching Snyder yesterday to see what a smart coach could do. If only Luke was smart enough and see the obvious.

He's the second best screen setter on the team (3rd best catch & shoot player, too). I imagine that has a lot to do with why they like him with Lebron. Plus, second unit ball handling is mostly Rondo's domain once he returns
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MJST wrote:

Therein lies the problem. Los Angeles, we have a problem. Well, right now choosing between Lonzo and the King is quite obvious. We could either trade Lonzo or fix our problem. I think fixing this problem will require benching Lonzo. It would not only strengthen our starting lineup but also our bench. Let's hope Luke sees this.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

He's the second best screen setter on the team (3rd best catch & shoot player, too). I imagine that has a lot to do with why they like him with Lebron. Plus, second unit ball handling is mostly Rondo's domain once he returns

What if Lonzo needs to ball in his hand in order for him to shoot better from three? He's not gonna get that opportunity with Lebron in the lineup.
It seems Lonzo needs to have the ball and facilitate the offense in order for him to get in a better groove to knock down those threes. He would get to do that off the bench with the second unit.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

What if Lonzo needs to ball in his hand in order for him to shoot better from three? He's not gonna get that opportunity with Lebron in the lineup.
It seems Lonzo needs to have the ball and facilitate the offense in order for him to get in a better groove to knock down those threes. He would get to do that off the bench with the second unit.

I agree, but how do you it with Rondo and even Lance there. The second unit, at full strength, is hardly going to net him more touches.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I agree, but how do you it with Rondo and even Lance there. The second unit, at full strength, is hardly going to net him more touches.

If Lonzo could keep playing like this with the 2nd unit, he's gonna take all the minutes away from Rondo. Luke only used Rondo because he's a veteran that's more reliable and consistent. Lonzo needs to prove to Luke that he could consistently play at a high level. If it works out, Lonzo would be like best 6th man off the bench. Beasley is probably gonna take all of Lance's minutes so we'll see.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MJST wrote:

Right? We saw him struggle all of last year without LeBron . We also saw him have a hot stretch early this season with LeBron.

People are searching for excuses and answers but the free throws really say it all. He simply does not have a shot that is consistent or reliable. Some guys have found success with ugly or unorthodox mechanics but Lonzo is not there yet. I don't know if he needs to start over from scratch or how it can be fixed but he is getting the most ridiculously wide open shots when he is with LeBron and if they aren't falling, there is no one to blame but himself.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
MJST wrote:

Right? We saw him struggle all of last year without LeBron . We also saw him have a hot stretch early this season with LeBron.

People are searching for excuses and answers but the free throws really say it all. He simply does not have a shot that is consistent or reliable. Some guys have found success with ugly or unorthodox mechanics but Lonzo is not there yet. I don't know if he needs to start over from scratch or how it can be fixed but he is getting the most ridiculously wide open shots when he is with LeBron and if they aren't falling, there is no one to blame but himself.

FWIW, he's shooting 36.6% on wide open threes. For context, Lebron shoots 37% there, KCP 40%, and Hart 33%.

I think the biggest drawback to his awkward form is the attention it attracts. He puts too much pressure on himself to break the narrative or question on his shooting, struggles, and then gets down on himself. No other player has to deal with that.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Shooting worse than Ben FUKING WALLACE. HE WAS A MEME BACK IN THE DAY FOR FT SHOOTING....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

This just isn’t good enough for today’s NBA.

There was a stretch where Lebron was basically the Lakers only 3 point shooter too.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone here think that Brandon Ingram would be asked play PG and be our primary half court ball handler in this stretch if we drafted DaArron Fox? What if we drafted Donovan Mitchell? What about Ben Simmons?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I think Lonzo has mental blocks but i also think he could benefit from a good shooting coach. He needs help
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is a really good free throw shooter, thankfully.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

misterchipmunk wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
misterchipmunk wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Ball getting into foul trouble hurt.

Lakers starters tonight:

Ball: -1
Ingram: -15
Kuzma: -16
McGee: -16
Hart: -22

Lonzo didn't have a bad game but I am not a fan when people use the +/- stat since it could be misleading.

In this case, Luke left Zo in garbage time when the game is clearly decided with Utah's end of bench players in the game. KCP and Mo made a couple of buckets in isolations and cut the lead. Zo was around -8 the whole night. He was just in the game at the right time where he didn't do much.

IIRC, he was around 0 - 1 during his shift in the third when they made a little run. I thought impact was noticeable, especially when he checked out. Dave Pasche commented on it too on the ESPN feed.

Yeah Zo had a great 3rd quarter yday but didn't have the same impact in the 4th. If he didn't get into foul trouble, this could've been a different game.

He was a -6 after the first.
He was actually a plus into the 3rd when the lead was cut in half.
I don't think it was the 4th that helped him.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Ball getting into foul trouble hurt.

Lakers starters tonight:

Ball: -1
Ingram: -15
Kuzma: -16
McGee: -16
Hart: -22

Terrible game all around, there's no consolation prize on a loss. Nothing
to do really, learn from it, adjust and move on.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Is it the players that need to learn from it more.. or the coach?
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The more I see of Lonzo the more I hate the pick. Too inconsistent for my taste and he doesn't bring it all the time. Effort should not change from game to game, whether the shot is falling or the refs or whatever, bring the effort. He can disappear for games or even a half like he did against the Jazz. Yeah good second half but it was already too late. To me he is a broken player which sucks for a #2 pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

The only thing inconsistent in Lonzo is his jumper. Which has trended positively since LeBron has been out.

The only other problem is his free throw shooting.

Everything else he's pretty consistent on and way ahead of the curve with, particularly his passing, rebounding and his defense.

Right now Lonzo is shooting 41% from the field and 40% from three with LeBron out.

Not ideal, but an improvement over last year, and without an off-season to work on his offensive game, it's a good pace.

Essentially if Lonzo's shot keeps improving(yes the word is keeps) then we'll have quite a player on our hands. We already do, just about the consistency of his offensive game. Which I don't doubt we'll see improvement in as he continues to and finally has a chance to work on it.

But, like Randle, some people are convinced in his 2nd year that he is all he'll be. And just like they were wrong about Randle and Russell, they will be about Lonzo.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The only thing inconsistent in Lonzo is his jumper. Which has trended positively since LeBron has been out.

Everything else he's pretty consistent on and way ahead of the curve with, particularly his passing, rebounding and his defense.

Right now Lonzo is shooting 41% from the field and 40% from three with LeBron out.

Not ideal, but an improvement over last year, and without an off-season to work on his offensive game, it's a good pace.

Essentially if Lonzo's shot keeps improving(yes the word is keeps) then we'll have quite a player on our hands. We already do, just about the consistency of his offensive game. Which I don't doubt we'll see improvement in as he continues to and finally has a chance to work on it.

But, like Randle, some people are convinced in his 2nd year that he is all he'll be. And just like they were wrong about Randle and Russell, they will be about Lonzo.

Yeah. I feel too that he been more consistently engaged in the games.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Yeah. I feel too that he been more consistently engaged in the games.

I think it's more complicated. As of right now, his half court offensive skills are deficient. He will take a three if the defense leaves him wide open. He will dribble into the paint and pass out. He plays hot potato with the ball on the perimeter. He will make an occasional high leverage pass in the half court to Kuzma or McGee, but overall he is a below average NBA point guard in the half court.

The full court is another matter entirely. When we can get out and run, he can be quite effective.

The two seem to be connected. If we are able to run a good bit, he seems to stay engaged in the half court offense. If the other team manages to force us into a halfcourt offense, he tends to fade out. He just doesn't have the skills to play that sort of game.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Not to mention historically a passing pg can take more time to develop and really show how good they can be.. Lonzo can be extremely frustrating at times with his shooting I will not deny that as a fan but overall I still love the player he is and have confidence whether its the lakers or somewhere else he will absolutely get there in a couple years and I hope he's still here when it all comes together.

One thing that was very obvious in the Utah game is the team looked so much better with him out there as an entire unit. If he doesn't get in foul trouble I think it's at least not a blowout. A lot of that is also obviously having no Lebron and Rondo to throw out there but he was def. making an impact. The entire team including himself just could not hit open shots and the defense was getting burned way too easily and often which McGee already said plenty about.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

People act like these kids should be basketball savants. Like they were born out of womb being basketball geniuses.

It ain't so. They need to be developed. This is were the Lakers are failing. They can't develop young players worth a (bleep) damn.

Also Luke keeps putting players in bad situations to s**t the bed. It's no wonder they look bad when they get misused, yanked around, where the only consistency is how random Luke's lineups are and how non-existent the offense is.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MJST wrote:

Trade Lebron?

Thoughts?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1523, 1524, 1525 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1524 of 1688
Jump to: