OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1532, 1533, 1534 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Swagron wrote:
Japago wrote:
Not drafting De'Aaron Fox has been the real miss, IMO. I haven't seen a lot of D'Angelo, but he still isn't that efficient. He doesn't get to the FT line. His defense still seems to be an issue.

De'Aaron is amazing. He's already one of the hardest PGs to defend. He gets to the rim or draws fouls at will. He shoots 3s at a decent percentage. He has defensive potential as well. He'll find open guys. He already draws enough defensive attention to get other guys open.

You’re right...Fox was the guy I wanted all along. We swung and missed big time. In addition to what you just mentioned as positive attributes is his passion on the court...not that sleepy stoic look our guy has.

I dont blame the Lakers for not going for Fox. Shoot first PGs are hardly a good building block for a championship team

People go on and on about Fox because at the start of the season and a stretch in November throughout the month where he was shooting 45% from three and they considered it a tremendous feat. Had they been following him lately they'd see that he's now been shooting 25% from three across his last 11 games and that 45% three point percentage he had throughout November has dropped down to 37% for the season, which is still solid, and an improvement over his 30% last year however.

I think when people look at Fox they say "He impacts the game with his scoring and Lonzo doesn't, therefore I wish we'd drafted him."

But when we had a point guard that impacted the game with his scoring, all you heard was "he needs to be more of a complete point guard, if he isn't scoring he isn't doing much else, his defense will never improve, we need a true leader that's well rounded and can impact the game without scoring."

No matter what, fans that decide they want to hate on a player will find some way where they are always right. There is no point in trying to understand it at this juncture.

If we got rid of Lonzo, and picked up a scoring point guard in the next draft that averaged 17 in their 2nd year but didn't play defense or rebound, all we'd hear about is those aspects of his game, and that he's a 2 trapped in a 1s body. Or also how he doesn't mesh well with LeBron because he needs the ball in his hands to be effective and is not an off-ball shooter but an iso scorer.

Either way, it would have been something, no matter who we drafted.

Are you really comparing D'Angelo and De'Aaron? I think De'Aaron is easily a better prospect. He's better than D'Angelo right now, and FAR better than D'Angelo was in his 2nd season.

D'Angelo was barely over 40% in FGs. The guy had all sorts of trouble getting to the rim and finishing there. He didn't get to the FT line, just like he doesn't right now. He was a defensive nightmare at the time as well.

De'Aaron is very efficient. He's dominant at getting to the rim or drawing fouls. I think his play-making has very high upside based on the amount of defensive attention that brings. He has defensive potential. He's a far superior athlete.

The guy has much more star potential than anybody the Lakers have drafted.

Keep in mind that even right now, D'Angelo still isn't super efficient. He has higher numbers in part because he has a really high usage rate.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I've been the biggest Lonzo hater but he has played better the last few games
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Snake oil Salesman LeVar conned all of us especially Maginka. Any one of Fox, Tatum, or Mitchell could have been taken there but instead we grabbed this Kendall Marshall clone.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Snake oil Salesman LeVar conned all of us especially Maginka. Any one of Fox, Tatum, or Mitchell could have been taken there but instead we grabbed this Kendall Marshall clone.

Don't sleep on John Collins..... you see what he's doing out in ATL in his second year.

Jeeeez!

OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

lol
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

One thing I do admire about Lonzo this year is his durability. He has not missed a game this year.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
One thing I do admire about Lonzo this year is his durability. He has not missed a game this year.

Yup! Best ability is durability.

*knocks on wood*
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Japago wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OCWA wrote:
krisobe wrote:
well DLO had 34/7/5 being the #1 option for the Nets.. tonight

DLO = 18/6/4 on 43% FG, 35% 3PT, and 82% FT shooting on 29 minutes a game this season.

ZO = 9/5/5 on 40% FG, 32% 3PT, and 41% yes 41% FT shooting on 30 minutes a game this season.

Even if Bron, Kuzma, Rondo or whoever is out.. Lonzo doesn't have it in him to be #1 option.

Zo nor DLO was supposed to be a #1 option. But if that is the comparison you are making, then yes, DLO is a better #1 scoring option than Zo. But a team with DLO as a number 1 option won't be a very good team.

Both were drafted to be leaders/facilitators. Neither has successfully fulfilled what they were drafted for.

*Optimized. At least DAR is playing in the system he should be in and is surrounded by shooters.

Ideally, it would have been Russell and Zo in shooting guard actions with Ingram initiating.

But, it's either Russell, or caproom for LeBron + 2nd star opportunity.

Russell and Randle are what happens when their skills/talent get the opportunity to mature after 3-4 years from being drafted as 19 year old kids. Imagine Zo, Kuzma, Ingram (it's getting there), and Hart with that kind of NBA experience.

Russell is light years away from his 4 drives per game per 28. Now, 11.6 per game.

Russell and Randle show what happens when you give up on guys before you let them develop their games and assume they are all they are by their 2ndish seasons.

The mistake some are still repeating with Ingram and Lonzo.

The draft picks that these people call "busts" turn out to be hits, but after the Lakers already gave up on them, assumed all they would be, after a season or two.

It's amazing though people seem to have it out for Zo in the way they had it out for Randle given that they were giving him credit for an additional off-season he didn't have as he was recovering from injury.

Russell and Randle still seem pretty limited too me. Both aren't good defenders. Russell is still fairly inefficient and doesn't get to the FT line. He has high volume numbers because he's 9th in usage rate. Randle is still a bully-ball player who gets tunnel-vision. Think David Lee, who's never really been a very impactful player despite big stats. Both aren't big misses, as they have flaws that will ultimately stop them from being stars.

Again, why do fans ignore the plenty of examples of other young guys drafted who have thrived by their 3rd seasons? There are rookies this season look a lot better than any of the Lakers' young core.

The young guys will get better. They just have limitations that limit how good they will eventually be, just like Randle and Russell.

I'm curious what you thought of De'Aaron Fox's rookie season.

Since you're responding to MJST, thought I'd try to but in again.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Lol. Durability.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OCWA wrote:
krisobe wrote:
well DLO had 34/7/5 being the #1 option for the Nets.. tonight

DLO = 18/6/4 on 43% FG, 35% 3PT, and 82% FT shooting on 29 minutes a game this season.

ZO = 9/5/5 on 40% FG, 32% 3PT, and 41% yes 41% FT shooting on 30 minutes a game this season.

Even if Bron, Kuzma, Rondo or whoever is out.. Lonzo doesn't have it in him to be #1 option.

Zo nor DLO was supposed to be a #1 option. But if that is the comparison you are making, then yes, DLO is a better #1 scoring option than Zo. But a team with DLO as a number 1 option won't be a very good team.

Both were drafted to be leaders/facilitators. Neither has successfully fulfilled what they were drafted for.

*Optimized. At least DAR is playing in the system he should be in and is surrounded by shooters.

Ideally, it would have been Russell and Zo in shooting guard actions with Ingram initiating.

But, it's either Russell, or caproom for LeBron + 2nd star opportunity.

Russell and Randle are what happens when their skills/talent get the opportunity to mature after 3-4 years from being drafted as 19 year old kids. Imagine Zo, Kuzma, Ingram (it's getting there), and Hart with that kind of NBA experience.

Russell is light years away from his 4 drives per game per 28. Now, 11.6 per game.

Russell and Randle show what happens when you give up on guys before you let them develop their games and assume they are all they are by their 2ndish seasons.

The mistake some are still repeating with Ingram and Lonzo.

The draft picks that these people call "busts" turn out to be hits, but after the Lakers already gave up on them, assumed all they would be, after a season or two.

It's amazing though people seem to have it out for Zo in the way they had it out for Randle given that they were giving him credit for an additional off-season he didn't have as he was recovering from injury.

Russell and Randle still seem pretty limited too me. Both aren't good defenders. Russell is still fairly inefficient and doesn't get to the FT line. He has high volume numbers because he's 9th in usage rate. Randle is still a bully-ball player who gets tunnel-vision. Think David Lee, who's never really been a very impactful player despite big stats. Both aren't big misses, as they have flaws that will ultimately stop them from being stars.

Again, why do fans ignore the plenty of examples of other young guys drafted who have thrived by their 3rd seasons? There are rookies this season look a lot better than any of the Lakers' young core.

The young guys will get better. They just have limitations that limit how good they will eventually be, just like Randle and Russell.

I'm curious what you thought of De'Aaron Fox's rookie season.

Since you're responding to MJST, thought I'd try to but in again.

Nothing impressive. The only thing really notable about him was his athleticism. But, I didn't notice any deal-breaking weaknesses either.

It's amazing how he improved in every facet of his game from his rookie season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lol. Durability.

Take what you can get.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

The logo conned the hornets when they got Kobe
Denver conned NY when They gave them Melo
Portland got conned when they drafted Oden over KD

The Lakers didn't get Conned Ball will be fine
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Kids balling against the Bulls.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Kids balling against the Bulls.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Even in a good game I'm not sure why his touch is so bad near the rim. I don't know if it's his footwork or lift but it's constant. I should be celebrating that he and BI look really good out there tonight though.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Very good game tonight. I've been encouraged as of late w/him.
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Just need this type of zo every game! not once in awhile
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Good game.
Need to fix FTs so he can stay in close games cuz we need his defense.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Awesome game. MVP on this one.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Player of the game Top scorer with 8 rebounds and 6 assists. He also had 2 steals. Sparked their run in the third quarter. Game ball for sure
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

Hope his injury is nothing
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

He’s a stud
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

This kid is 2 seasons away from great things. He’s no Jabari Parker.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Was that cramps again i see?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Visibly tired in the end after running around on defense. Needs to pick his spots more at the end of the game I think. Needs to learn to manage his energy.

I've realized so much of his finishing is from lack of lift, which in turn can be attributed to running out of energy after hustling on defense and sprinting down the court.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1532, 1533, 1534 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1533 of 1688
Jump to: