OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1607, 1608, 1609 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject:

I wasn’t a Lonzo fan at UCLA, but I’m a fan now. You’ll regret it when he’s gone.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Didn’t see if this was posted yet, Lonzo and Lance S. dropped a new track: Swerve:

The extracurricular stuff just annoys me when you're shooing 42% free throws. Reality tv show, drop the mic, etc. I really don't want to see that stuff when you're shooing 42% free throws.

So you work 24/7 is it?

I'm one of his biggest supporters around here. I've said many times he should be untouchable. And at the same time, I can also be annoyed by his extra activities. That's just me.

I mean, there's so much time in a day.
How many hours of the day shooting FTs would appease you?

Well, when you're shooting 42%, only 29 hours a day would appease me.

*didn't mean to answer for Runway8*
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Didn’t see if this was posted yet, Lonzo and Lance S. dropped a new track: Swerve:

The extracurricular stuff just annoys me when you're shooing 42% free throws. Reality tv show, drop the mic, etc. I really don't want to see that stuff when you're shooing 42% free throws.

So you work 24/7 is it?

First of all, most people Lonzo's age trying to become to the best in their field do, in fact, work 24/7 for all intents and purposes. I mean hell, I just watched the Chef's Table episode about Sean Brock and the man would have made Kobe proud, working literally 7 days a week for 10 months straight and sleeping in his kitchen in order to become one of the best chef's in the country. You will find similar stories amongst other high achievers in other fields, including sports. So yes, if you want to be the best at something, you have to focus on that something exclusively until you master it. Zo is not the best at anything yet.

Secondly, this is not a matter of leisure. He's in the studio as a second job. He is trying to profit off of it. In most other fields, employers tend to frown upon moonlighting when they are paying you 7 figures a year. 7 figures tends to mean that you focus exclusively on gig #1. Now see the above paragraph--when you're all grown up and you have a track record, then you get to be like Lebron and make TV shows and do other things that would otherwise distract you. Zo doesn't need to partake in the gig economy and hustle with like 3 jobs to make ends meet. He's had enough distracting nonsense already with a reality TV show and whatever other nonsense his father has him involved with.

Look, he can make all the bad music he wants. If the Lakers were so dumb as to not specify that he only have one job in his contract, that's on them. If a bunch of millennials think you should be able to have no discipline and be ADD and totally distracted, well, that's swell. But at the end of the day if he wants to unlock all of his potential (of which there would seem to be a tremendous amount), he needs to put aside everything else and focus maniacally on basketball. But it's clearly not that important to him. So he's going to continue shooting 42% from the foul line and airball 3 pointers as often as he connects on them. I'm not suggesting he be like Kobe to the point where he slaps on some old school Vitti-level tape job on his bum ankle and play through it, leading to long term dysfunction. But he can stand and walk, so he can sit in the gym 8 hours a day and practice free throws. It's boring and not glamorous. But that is how you stop sucking at something. And when you suck that hard at something that is part of your job description, you should be embarrassed to be working on anything else.

But it's cool, it's not like he needs to work really hard or anything, right?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
this boy too injury prone,man. I'm okay with letting him go for someone else in the offseason. Just someone who can play and stay on the floor and not be injured all the freaking time.

That Steve Nash injury saga is still too fresh in my mind, I don't want anyone who is injured far too often.

Kid needs to emulate whatever workout regime Steph used to get so much stronger since he got into the league.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

Lonzo is our boy. He and Ingram are the future of the Lakers
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

So you work 24/7 is it?

First of all, most people Lonzo's age trying to become to the best in their field do, in fact, work 24/7 for all intents and purposes. I mean hell, I just watched the Chef's Table episode about Sean Brock and the man would have made Kobe proud, working literally 7 days a week for 10 months straight and sleeping in his kitchen in order to become one of the best chef's in the country. You will find similar stories amongst other high achievers in other fields, including sports. So yes, if you want to be the best at something, you have to focus on that something exclusively until you master it. Zo is not the best at anything yet.

Secondly, this is not a matter of leisure. He's in the studio as a second job. He is trying to profit off of it. In most other fields, employers tend to frown upon moonlighting when they are paying you 7 figures a year. 7 figures tends to mean that you focus exclusively on gig #1. Now see the above paragraph--when you're all grown up and you have a track record, then you get to be like Lebron and make TV shows and do other things that would otherwise distract you. Zo doesn't need to partake in the gig economy and hustle with like 3 jobs to make ends meet. He's had enough distracting nonsense already with a reality TV show and whatever other nonsense his father has him involved with.

Look, he can make all the bad music he wants. If the Lakers were so dumb as to not specify that he only have one job in his contract, that's on them. If a bunch of millennials think you should be able to have no discipline and be ADD and totally distracted, well, that's swell. But at the end of the day if he wants to unlock all of his potential (of which there would seem to be a tremendous amount), he needs to put aside everything else and focus maniacally on basketball. But it's clearly not that important to him. So he's going to continue shooting 42% from the foul line and airball 3 pointers as often as he connects on them. I'm not suggesting he be like Kobe to the point where he slaps on some old school Vitti-level tape job on his bum ankle and play through it, leading to long term dysfunction. But he can stand and walk, so he can sit in the gym 8 hours a day and practice free throws. It's boring and not glamorous. But that is how you stop sucking at something. And when you suck that hard at something that is part of your job description, you should be embarrassed to be working on anything else.

Ordered Kobe's The Mamba Mentality the other day and just finished it this morning. This post would make Kobe proud. I wholeheartedly agree with your take. Alas, none of our young guys, heck, none of our players are cut from the same cloth (possibly only a handful of players in the entire league are - if that many).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

Ah, labor scolds. Sports fandom never changes.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

So you work 24/7 is it?

I hope you have these same expectations from yourself in your real life.

Easy to be a keyword/online warrior
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Not many people are as dedicated as Kobe, he was a masochist.

The only player that might approach that type of work-ethic is Giannis based on reports available.

Zo does seem to have a lot of interests outside of basketball which is fine. We only see what is out there in public so we don't know the full extent of things.

It's a new age. If he doesn't show any improvement then it's safe to say it's a work-ethic or mental issue because the talent is there.
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

He's been dealing with injuries since high school so I don't expect things to change in the future. If we're going to keep him we need to make sure we have a decent backup PG (luckily we do this year).
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Some have mentioned his movements look a bit stiff on the court which I think is true to some extent. That could potentially make him more injury-prone. He really needs top quality trainers to get his muscles/tendons were flexible and able to withstand the types of movements he wants to make.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
... But at the end of the day if he wants to unlock all of his potential (of which there would seem to be a tremendous amount), he needs to put aside everything else and focus maniacally on basketball. But it's clearly not that important to him. So he's going to continue shooting 42% from the foul line and airball 3 pointers as often as he connects on them. I'm not suggesting he be like Kobe to the point where he slaps on some old school Vitti-level tape job on his bum ankle and play through it, leading to long term dysfunction. But he can stand and walk, so he can sit in the gym 8 hours a day and practice free throws. It's boring and not glamorous. But that is how you stop sucking at something. And when you suck that hard at something that is part of your job description, you should be embarrassed to be working on anything else.

It's hard for any of us to know exactly how hard he is working, and it's risky to assume he's not working really hard at basketball simply because he also spent a few hours one day in the studio.

It's also not clear to me that standing on a gimpy ankle and practicing free throws would be beneficial. First, he'd be putting pressure on his ankle, possibly increasing inflammation and slowing healing. Secondly, compensation for ankle pain and instability may very well introduce new hitches in his shooting motion, or create physical imbalances that will trigger other injuries in the future.

There is a lot he can be doing to help himself as an athlete right now - lots of PT, correcting imbalances in his body, learning about nutrition, and watching film. But he's 21, energetic, and sometimes he needs to get away from hoops and clear his mind. It's probably killing him that he's unable to play. I don't think we should doubt that.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Wish that Fox was chosen instead of Lonzo with the second pick.
Fox is the fastest guy in the league and can shoot.
Lonzo may have a bigger upside when he learns to shoot.
But Fox is there right now.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
He's been dealing with injuries since high school so I don't expect things to change in the future. If we're going to keep him we need to make sure we have a decent backup PG (luckily we do this year).

Yeah, it seems like he's had one injury or another every year since he came on the scene at Chino Hills.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Not a big Lonzo fan. I believe he was way too hyped and never was worthy of a #2 pick. I think the Lakers got fed some good Kool-Aid by folks who thought this guy was the second coming.

If he indeed does not come back this season while nursing one of many of his injuries this year, he needs to seriously focus on basketball this offseason instead of all the extracurricular stuff that he is working on like his rap career.

Let me point out, its ok to have other activities as a sports athlete or any other profession, provided that you are great at what you do and your game is solid.

His game is good, not solid by any means.

He can't shoot, he's timid when having to score, and he's one of the worst free throw shooters in the entire league. I know people defend that here, but you really can't....that's a problem, not a little something he needs to work on.

Would like to see him go healthy into the offseason and devote crazy time to getting better. I would like him to seek help from a former player, or great shooting coach, etc...instead of going into the offseason hanging out with his stupid father who has done nothing to make his son's career any better. I don't know this for a fact but I think he's in lousy shape, not conditioned, not a great diet.....a change to all this will make him stronger and perhaps less injury prone. Also, as someone stated here, he needs to find a good pair of shoes instead of those K-Mart special BBB shoes. Though I think he got injured wearing Nike.

Just my two cents...

I am rooting for him but its time to make changes...
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

So you work 24/7 is it?

Kobe was truly one of a kind, never took his mind off basketball

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Some have mentioned his movements look a bit stiff on the court which I think is true to some extent. That could potentially make him more injury-prone. He really needs top quality trainers to get his muscles/tendons were flexible and able to withstand the types of movements he wants to make.

He should try yoga, it makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to flexibility.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

He should try yoga, it makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to flexibility.

My thoughts exactly.

Kareem practiced martial arts which is also good for flexibility, etc.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

We were never going to draft Fox, Magic had decided on Lonzo before working any players out. Lonzo bombed his workout and Magic gave him a second chance to justify his decision. There was never another choice.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

We were never going to draft Fox, Magic had decided on Lonzo before working any players out. Lonzo bombed his workout and Magic gave him a second chance to justify his decision. There was never another choice.

Surely you'd have some kind of proof for this statement.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Yes, it’s called watching what happened.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

underrated post

especially considering our training staff – I highly doubt our guys have a solid flexibility routine
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

At 59 I started doing yoga about 4 months ago and the difference in balance and flexibility is amazing.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
trablos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Yes, it’s called watching what happened.

You are right, I watched us workout JJ, DJS, Fulz, Fox, and others...and Ball. Surely you could share your email exchange with Magic telling you it was all for show?
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

So you work 24/7 is it?

Kobe was truly one of a kind, never took his mind off basketball

I like Kobe, but statements like this one are ludicrous. It’s up there with Lonzo’s 3 feet defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1607, 1608, 1609 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1608 of 1688
Jump to: