OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

If we draft Lonzo and he isn't Magic Johnson out the gate, we should be able to show the same patience we have for all our other young guys. Expect Lonzo to have his ups and downs just like every other rookie, but lets not forget how much of a double standard people have around here especially when the guy drafted wasn't their guy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
How has this turned about NVE and DLO??? This is the LONZO thread!

It happens. Folks like to throw him under the bus in many threads.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
If we draft Lonzo and he isn't Magic Johnson out the gate, we should be able to show the same patience we have for all our other young guys. Expect Lonzo to have his ups and downs just like every other rookie, but lets not forget how much of a double standard people have around here especially when the guy drafted wasn't their guy.

The thing about Lonzo is that his ups and downs aren't predicated on his scoring. Most players yes. But for him, he's bringing triple double impact. So even if he's not scoring, he should make an impact. Hopefully fans will be able to see that.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

The thing about Lonzo is that his ups and downs aren't predicated on his scoring. Most players yes. But for him, he's bringing triple double impact. So even if he's not scoring, he should make an impact. Hopefully fans will be able to see that.
I'm not just talking about scoring obviously. He's gonna have his struggles and like all our young players, I for one won't be acting like the sky is falling or we need to trade him at the first opportunity we get.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Hmmm but if Lonzo is LAL's guy why wouldn't they promise him unless they're not sure? Because if they're committed, why would they want him running around working out for other teams and risking some BS injury?

When have we ever made a promise? You're letting your personal feelings build a narrative.

I don't know, just thinking it through quite honestly. I think I remember something coming out about Ingram a couple days before the draft last year.

Last year it was...we're going to take Heild right up to the pick.

Lot of manufactured drama only to find out the Lakers knew who they were taking a couple of weeks before the draft.

All signs point to Lonzo...won't know until Thursday...but ESPN makes a lot of money riling up Laker fans.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
epak wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

I'm not just talking about scoring obviously. He's gonna have his struggles and like all our young players, I for one won't be acting like the sky is falling or we need to trade him at the first opportunity we get.

Some will and I think we know who they'll be.

#BannersOverBillboards
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Hmmm but if Lonzo is LAL's guy why wouldn't they promise him unless they're not sure? Because if they're committed, why would they want him running around working out for other teams and risking some BS injury?

When have we ever made a promise? You're letting your personal feelings build a narrative.

I don't know, just thinking it through quite honestly. I think I remember something coming out about Ingram a couple days before the draft last year.

Last year it was...we're going to take Heild right up to the pick.

Lot of manufactured drama only to find out the Lakers knew who they were taking a couple of weeks before the draft.

All signs point to Lonzo...won't know until Thursday...but ESPN makes a lot of money riling up Laker fans.

I don't. The Lakers had a team dinner with BI along with other players. It was pretty obvious last year imo.
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo is starts off slow out of the gates, it's inevitable people want to get rid of him and it's only going To be compounded with his unorthodox shot. He'll be every bit if not more as polarizing as DLO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
If Lonzo is starts off slow out of the gates, it's inevitable people want to get rid of him and it's only going To be compounded with his unorthodox shot. He'll be every bit if not more as polarizing as DLO.

And you have some vocal Jax/Fox supporters too, unlike Ingram's class where he was the undisputed #2 option.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
I initially wanted Lonzo. ..but he struggles in half court,...dlo struggles in half court....we need either a creator in half court....or an athletic finisher/defender. So I see why jj and fox are in the mix. I think id like fox. Its easier to learn how to shoot than to learn how to drive and play defense. Fox is my new pick.

*face Palm* Do people even watch games? Lonzo does not struggle in half court neither does Dangelo. I also disagree with you about shooting vs driving.

Dlo has not shown that he can consistently create offense when plays break down...he usually settles for a 3....Lonzo does the same thing. That's what I mean when I say they struggle...they are system players which is good...but we need a break down option.

Watches perhaps. But watches incorrectly? Hehe
why post when you have nothing to say

Why post when what you have to say is decidedly false and your own personal narrative not supported by the eyes or any advanced analytics.

LB shot 71.8% at the cup on a statistically significant number of attempts...that's elite.

He shot 41.2% from 3, many of them step back NBA 3 range.

He is known for making the right read against the defense...teams lay off he takes the 3...teams hedge he hits the roll man...teams soft hedge he follows the retreating defender in to probe or attack the rim...and all of that is just when he's on the ball.

My god man...watch a couple of games before being outraged...you might like what you see.

Stats are so great when you don't have a brain to analyze them. He shoots a great percentage at the rim....great..im not debating that. Many of those attempts come in transition. My concern is the half court offense. He is poor at pick and roll...

Do you think a rookie Lonzo will have the free reign to jack 35 footers in an NBA game? Can he get that shot off against NBA length and quickness? Is it predictable when he goes right he will drive, left to shoot. He is a great talent with many holes in his game....its a matter of preference how one wants to construct a team. If he is picked I will root for him. If I could decide.....im not sold on his fit with the team/or that he is the bpa.

I could be wrong...but its my opinion.

1) Of Ball's 131 FGAs at the rim, 69 were in the HC (he made 50). The greater issue is that 51% of his makes were assisted and he only had 2.5 unassisted FGAs per40 at the rim. Both of those numbers are outliers for lead guards in the past several drafts and point to Lonzo doing more SG than PG actions at UCLA.

Now was that a product of college scheme or a flaw in Lonzo's profile? Cole Zwicker's in-depth work on Lonzo's driving ability (Link) argues that it's a flaw that stems from a combination of a still rudimentary handle - improvable - and an upright stiffness that limits his change of direction and body control in the air - probably not fixable. It's a compelling argument about a legit flaw in Lonzo's game. Whether that's a deal breaker for you, whether you think it might be an issue that can be resolved or compensated for in other ways, that's a more difficult and interesting debate.

2) Lonzo Ball was very good at the PnR, and that he wasn't was a theory from way back in January that I think has been debunked. He was involved in 154 PnR possessions from which he turned it over 11 times, shot it 25 (26?) times, and created scoring opportunities for his teammates 117 times. Among the top PG prospects, their PnR shots are far higher and PnR "assists" are far lower than Ball's (Fultz, for instance, has 117 PnR FGAs alone). That discrepancy is in part a product of superior scheme and personnel/fit at UCLA (Ball had more space and more guys worth passing to), but it's also a product of play style: a pass first PG used the PnR to create for others more than shoot - not shocking - but just as he helped up his teammates' efficiency when he was running the PnR, he also posted a 62% eFG% on his 25 PnR FGAs (only 10 at the rim), which even on a small sample size far outstripped the efficiency of Smith and Fox. (For comparison, Fultz posted an impressive 55% eFG% on 117 PnR FGAs, which is one of the reasons he's going #1 overall).

That's a wall of text and numbers to basically say that Ball was very effective at running PnR - overall 1.038 PPP (88th percentile among college players) - within the scheme and with the personnel he had at UCLA, which given his clearly visible preference (imo) to hunt efficient shots and create for others, resulted in him passing more than shooting. That he was efficient both when creating for himself - a 62% eFG% - and for others - a 7% TO rate, a 36% assist/poss rate in the half-court against man defense (second only to Kendall Marshall among college guards drafted since 2011), and 1.145 PPP produced by teammates who received his passes in PnR versus 0.811 PPP when another Bruin was the PnR ball handler - thoroughly debunks the simplistic argument that Lonzo Ball was not or isn't "good" at running the PnR.

Lonzo Ball is clearly very good at the PnR, and a more nuanced argument like fiendishoc and others have made is what happens to Lonzo Ball's pass/shot ratio out of the PnR against NBA defenses and without elite shooting personnel around him? Will he be able to snake the PnR against a retreating big with a guard on his hip and hit a pocket pass (of which he threw very few), or hit a mid-range pullup, or work his way to the rim? That I can't predict with any degree of certainty, because although he flashed the ability here and there, he didn't demonstrate it often enough in college. Again, whether that's a deal breaker for you, whether you think it might be an issue that can be resolved or compensated for in other ways, that's a more difficult and interesting debate.

Sources:
LakerFilmRoom Lonzo's Weaknesses
Lonzo Ball PnR notes
Cranjis twitter thread on top PG prospects
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

⬆ I appreciate your input! Thanks
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

Ford is reporting that the Lakers are moving closer to selecting Lonzo Ball. I don't have insider, so I can't post some of the article.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Ford is reporting that the Lakers are moving closer to selecting Lonzo Ball. I don't have insider, so I can't post some of the article.

Kiss of death?
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Kiss of death?

Lonzo confirmed for detroit

thanks chad
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
I initially wanted Lonzo. ..but he struggles in half court,...dlo struggles in half court....we need either a creator in half court....or an athletic finisher/defender. So I see why jj and fox are in the mix. I think id like fox. Its easier to learn how to shoot than to learn how to drive and play defense. Fox is my new pick.

*face Palm* Do people even watch games? Lonzo does not struggle in half court neither does Dangelo. I also disagree with you about shooting vs driving.

Dlo has not shown that he can consistently create offense when plays break down...he usually settles for a 3....Lonzo does the same thing. That's what I mean when I say they struggle...they are system players which is good...but we need a break down option.

Watches perhaps. But watches incorrectly? Hehe
why post when you have nothing to say

Why post when what you have to say is decidedly false and your own personal narrative not supported by the eyes or any advanced analytics.

LB shot 71.8% at the cup on a statistically significant number of attempts...that's elite.

He shot 41.2% from 3, many of them step back NBA 3 range.

He is known for making the right read against the defense...teams lay off he takes the 3...teams hedge he hits the roll man...teams soft hedge he follows the retreating defender in to probe or attack the rim...and all of that is just when he's on the ball.

My god man...watch a couple of games before being outraged...you might like what you see.

Stats are so great when you don't have a brain to analyze them. He shoots a great percentage at the rim....great..im not debating that. Many of those attempts come in transition. My concern is the half court offense. He is poor at pick and roll...

Do you think a rookie Lonzo will have the free reign to jack 35 footers in an NBA game? Can he get that shot off against NBA length and quickness? Is it predictable when he goes right he will drive, left to shoot. He is a great talent with many holes in his game....its a matter of preference how one wants to construct a team. If he is picked I will root for him. If I could decide.....im not sold on his fit with the team/or that he is the bpa.

I could be wrong...but its my opinion.

1) Of Ball's 131 FGAs at the rim, 69 were in the HC (he made 50). The greater issue is that 51% of his makes were assisted and he only had 2.5 unassisted FGAs per40 at the rim. Both of those numbers are outliers for lead guards in the past several drafts and point to Lonzo doing more SG than PG actions at UCLA.

Now was that a product of college scheme or a flaw in Lonzo's profile? Cole Zwicker's in-depth work on Lonzo's driving ability (Link) argues that it's a flaw that stems from a combination of a still rudimentary handle - improvable - and an upright stiffness that limits his change of direction and body control in the air - probably not fixable. It's a compelling argument about a legit flaw in Lonzo's game. Whether that's a deal breaker for you, whether you think it might be an issue that can be resolved or compensated for in other ways, that's a more difficult and interesting debate.

2) Lonzo Ball was very good at the PnR, and that he wasn't was a theory from way back in January that I think has been debunked. He was involved in 154 PnR possessions from which he turned it over 11 times, shot it 25 (26?) times, and created scoring opportunities for his teammates 117 times. Among the top PG prospects, their PnR shots are far higher and PnR "assists" are far lower than Ball's (Fultz, for instance, has 117 PnR FGAs alone). That discrepancy is in part a product of superior scheme and personnel/fit at UCLA (Ball had more space and more guys worth passing to), but it's also a product of play style: a pass first PG used the PnR to create for others more than shoot - not shocking - but just as he helped up his teammates' efficiency when he was running the PnR, he also posted a 62% eFG% on his 25 PnR FGAs (only 10 at the rim), which even on a small sample size far outstripped the efficiency of Smith and Fox. (For comparison, Fultz posted an impressive 55% eFG% on 117 PnR FGAs, which is one of the reasons he's going #1 overall).

That's a wall of text and numbers to basically say that Ball was very effective at running PnR - overall 1.038 PPP (88th percentile among college players) - within the scheme and with the personnel he had at UCLA, which given his clearly visible preference (imo) to hunt efficient shots and create for others, resulted in him passing more than shooting. That he was efficient both when creating for himself - a 62% eFG% - and for others - a 7% TO rate, a 36% assist/poss rate in the half-court against man defense (second only to Kendall Marshall among college guards drafted since 2011), and 1.145 PPP produced by teammates who received his passes in PnR versus 0.811 PPP when another Bruin was the PnR ball handler - thoroughly debunks the simplistic argument that Lonzo Ball was not or isn't "good" at running the PnR.

Lonzo Ball is clearly very good at the PnR, and a more nuanced argument like fiendishoc and others have made is what happens to Lonzo Ball's pass/shot ratio out of the PnR against NBA defenses and without elite shooting personnel around him? Will he be able to snake the PnR against a retreating big with a guard on his hip and hit a pocket pass (of which he threw very few), or hit a mid-range pullup, or work his way to the rim? That I can't predict with any degree of certainty, because although he flashed the ability here and there, he didn't demonstrate it often enough in college. Again, whether that's a deal breaker for you, whether you think it might be an issue that can be resolved or compensated for in other ways, that's a more difficult and interesting debate.

Sources:
LakerFilmRoom Lonzo's Weaknesses
Lonzo Ball PnR notes
Cranjis twitter thread on top PG prospects
now look at that. a lot of realistic information about possible lonzo dislikes and likes. not just some bias based on you wished we picked some other player so let me pounce on ball and make up stuff as i go.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:
And the truth comes out. Fox is a mix of WB and NVE. Wow. NVE should not be the #2 pick. And Fox is NOT WB. Imagine a lighter, less speedy WB who shoots worse!

Van Exel had more impact on the Lakers his first 2 years than Dlo has had....

NVE was nearly 22 when he was drafted by the Lakers. DLO just turned 21. DLO was drafted and played at age 19, don't you think this matters?

I predict that DLO, at age 21 will be close to 18/5/5, and by age 22 (the year NVE was drafted), he will be closer to 20/5/5.
That's some revisionist ish imo. I guess how the team was constructed back then doesn't matter and the fact NVE's 1st season the team won 33 games and his averages were 13.6pts, 5.8ast while shooting a mind blowing 39% from the field. ....#hottakesforthewin. 2nd Season he averaged 17 and 8 dimes while shooting 42% respectively but he also had better teammates that year when we acquired Cedric Ceballos and drafted Eddie Jones while still having a decent Vlade and a Elden Campbell who was just coming into his own at the time. Very different situations.

I said impact...not stats...it was clear the van Exel was the motor of that team. The Lakers currently lack that type of player...I do think Ingram has the physical quality....but I'd like it to come from a lead guard position....ball seems to have that quality...but after listening to fox...his demeanor along with his skill set is attractive to me.
Star Player
Star Player

MINGED.

Last edited by 30 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Fwiw basketball is like poetry. It appeals on different levels to each viewer. Statistics cannot describe poetry...it can count periods...stanzas...and other things...but it can't describe meaning to an individual.

I'm saying that to say don't discount peoples opinions so easily because they arent bombarding you with stats...you can listen and disagree...but at the end of the day we are all just speculating.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:
And the truth comes out. Fox is a mix of WB and NVE. Wow. NVE should not be the #2 pick. And Fox is NOT WB. Imagine a lighter, less speedy WB who shoots worse!

NVE was nearly 22 when he was drafted by the Lakers. DLO just turned 21. DLO was drafted and played at age 19, don't you think this matters?

I predict that DLO, at age 21 will be close to 18/5/5, and by age 22 (the year NVE was drafted), he will be closer to 20/5/5.
That's some revisionist ish imo. I guess how the team was constructed back then doesn't matter and the fact NVE's 1st season the team won 33 games and his averages were 13.6pts, 5.8ast while shooting a mind blowing 39% from the field. ....#hottakesforthewin. 2nd Season he averaged 17 and 8 dimes while shooting 42% respectively but he also had better teammates that year when we acquired Cedric Ceballos and drafted Eddie Jones while still having a decent Vlade and a Elden Campbell who was just coming into his own at the time. Very different situations.

I said impact...not stats...it was clear the van Exel was the motor of that team. The Lakers currently lack that type of player...I do think Ingram has the physical quality....but I'd like it to come from a lead guard position....ball seems to have that quality...but after listening to fox...his demeanor along with his skill set is attractive to me.

do you not realize that once the word is out that fox can't shoot, they will just setup a wall of defense to stop him from rushing the rim? they will go under most screens and dare him to shoot. which will create a bad spacing situation for whatever team he plays on.

He will get the rondo treatment, yet fox isnt some great passer like rondo. so what's fox's plan B when a good defensive team puts up that wall?

Futlz and ball both have plan B's. they can shoot well and pass well.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
Fwiw basketball is like poetry. It appeals on different levels to each viewer. Statistics cannot describe poetry...it can count periods...stanzas...and other things...but it can't describe meaning to an individual.

I'm saying that to say don't discount peoples opinions so easily because they arent bombarding you with stats...you can listen and disagree...but at the end of the day we are all just speculating.

The way I see it, stats are predictions. They can be accurate, but you can never know for sure what's gonna happen in the next game until it has happened.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
epak wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Kiss of death?

Lonzo confirmed for detroit

thanks chad

Chad also reported that Celtics were more interested to trade down for Jackson, a whole day ahead of Woj breaking the Philly/Celtics news.

Chad actually got something right.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

Lonzo is going to be a great NBA player, I'll be happy if we choose him.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

Van Exel can shoot anywhere . Fox can't. You can't be point of attack if you can't.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:

that sounds real cute and all. but its not true. stats can describe basketball if you've watched enough of it.

i can look at a box score of certain teams and pretty know how the game went, who did what, why, how. thats because I've watched those teams and those players vs many different teams enough times to remember the patterns. when i look at the stat sheets or even analytics. I can say this is when player x usually goes here. that probably means so and so was defending him pushing him to his off hand. thats what the defensive player Y does a lot when he plays vs player X.

casual fan use to see a laker(shaq/kobe era) stat line that showed the lakers shot 10 more ft's than their opponent. and those people would complain if they were not laker fans. some laker fans would say "man, i'm glad we get special treatment."
all because the ft numbers are not closer to matching the opponents.

When in reality no one could guard shaq without hacking him, and people would intentionally foul him to attempt to stop yet another easy bucket). on top of the fact most people if any could not guard kobe without holding him, pushing him while he was shooting. slapping his wrist or elbow while he was shooting. running underneath him while he was shooting.

You have two players you can't guard without most likely fouling and praying the ref doesnt catch you. that tells me those two guys will have enough FT's on their own to make for the extra 10 or so we had on our opponent.

^^that understanding is the difference between a fan that knows the game in general and also knows the players he's watching as well. most people are not that in depth with their basketball knowledge.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

Van Exel can shoot anywhere . Fox can't. You can't be point of attack if you can't.
i was trying to tell him but he wasnt listening.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 204 of 1688
Jump to: