OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

I think Ball will be a good fit in Luke's system. The pace Lonzo is used to playing at is similar to the pace GS plays with. Push the ball down court, get the ball moving and opportunities will open up for different players.
I envision a system where nobody is averaging close to 10 APG. But as a team, we're top 10 in assists.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

This thread is exactly Magics problem. Instead of us talking about Lonzo, we end up talking about Magic. I finally turned the corner on the D'lo trade and Magic's got to butt his big head in again. I don't think the team is going to have a problem with Lonzo or his dad but I do think the way Magic talks, players might find him annoying ie: anointing Zo as the face of the franchise, declaring Ingram as the only untouchable on the team. Like Sanity said, its all about Magic.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

For added context, I doubt any of Magic's pressure could be any more hyperbolic than Lonzo's dad had dropped - i.e. better than Steph, could beat MJ, etc. Basically, if there's any kid in the draft that would know how to navigate this, it's Lonzo.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:

DK wrote:
For added context, I doubt any of Magic's pressure could be any more hyperbolic than Lonzo's dad had dropped - i.e. better than Steph, could beat MJ, etc. Basically, if there's any kid in the draft that would know how to navigate this, it's Lonzo.

Great point
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

I don't think lakers players will resent Lonzo because Magic said he's the new face of the franchise, cause he's a very very unselfish player. There's little doubt that players will love his style of play. You say the same with a selfish/shoot first, shoot second young player and the result could be different.
Lonzo has been raised by a dad who says twice a week to the world that his son will become the best player ever, and it seems like it doesn't get to his head, I think he can handle a little praise from Magic !!!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
I don't think lakers players will resent Lonzo because Magic said he's the new face of the franchise, cause he's a very very unselfish player. There's little doubt that players will love his style of play. You say the same with a selfish/shoot first, shoot second young player and the result could be different.
Lonzo has been raised by a dad who says twice a week to the world that his son will become the best player ever, and it seems like it doesn't get to his head, I think he can handle a little praise from Magic !!!

Maybe but Lonzo better be super humble with his teammates. We might see DLo traded to Nets for salary dumping. Lakers players prob see it as making a room for Lonzo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

What Magic said talking about his goals for Lonzo in the press conference was no worse than what his Dad has said. He has heard the same stuff from his Dad his whole life. He will be fine.

Last edited by 32 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 am; edited 2 times in total
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:

Maybe but Lonzo better be super humble with his teammates. We might see DLo traded to Nets for salary dumping. Lakers players prob see it as making a room for Lonzo

D'Lo was good friend with Clarkson and who ? Was he really that close from other players ?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Once you're on the court and someone puts you in scoring position with a pass, it makes everything better.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still in a state of worry about the "plan".

Oh yeah, me too. I've moved on from the trade and all and just looking forward... yesterday Ramona said this year's free agency is looking a lot like one-year deals to contributing talent who might want to re-sign later to save space for 2018 - she said exactly what we did prior to the MozDeng deals.

So we're doing this again? We're snubbing our nose at a long-term rebuild and chasing stars again, shrugging off team building in the present? Ugh... And then Luke is talking about growing with the current core of young talent this upcoming season and I wonder if everyone is on the same page.

Last edited by justsomelakerfan on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still in a state of worry about the "plan".

Never fear Magic is here.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
governator wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:

D'Lo was good friend with Clarkson and who ? Was he really that close from other players ?

Don't know but if you've been teeammates for couple years, there's bound to be some bond (especially in younger players) unless you just straight up don't like the guy
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

Lonzo was definitely the correct choice. But remember that Lonzo is not a scorer. He is no Magic Johnson.
His contribution will be ball movement, player movement, sharing the ball. Team play and team defense. Now if only can get Luke Walton on board with this concept.

But Lonzo needs some shooters. He played at UCLA with some great shooters. The Lakers are lacking in that area. Lonzo can pass them open all day, but if they cannot hit the shot it is curtains.

That is why I think the Lakers should resign Nick Young for 5M for 2 to 3 years. He can play the SG until PG13 gets here. Then be instant offense off the bench. Hart will be a big addition, but he is a rookie like Lonzo. Can't play too many rookies.

I hope there is a thinking man on the Lakers. Magic is full of energy and zest. But Rob needs to temper Magic and fill the needs of the team.

So far they seem to be making the right moves. But as you know they got stuck with a huge mess. See my other posts on it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Lonzo was definitely the correct choice. But remember that Lonzo is not a scorer. He is no Magic Johnson.
His contribution will be ball movement, player movement, sharing the ball. Team play and team defense. Now if only can get Luke Walton on board with this concept.

But Lonzo needs some shooters. He played at UCLA with some great shooters. The Lakers are lacking in that area. Lonzo can pass them open all day, but if they cannot hit the shot it is curtains.

That is why I think the Lakers should resign Nick Young for 5M for 2 to 3 years. He can play the SG until PG13 gets here. Then be instant offense off the bench. Hart will be a big addition, but he is a rookie like Lonzo. Can't play too many rookies.

I hope there is a thinking man on the Lakers. Magic is full of energy and zest. But Rob needs to temper Magic and fill the needs of the team.

So far they seem to be making the right moves. But as you know they got stuck with a huge mess. See my other posts on it.

Brook is actually a decent spot up 3 pts shooters and we'll see BI and JC improvement in spot up shooting
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

And Rob has stressed that they're looking for players who fill the roster needs, shooting was a priority in this draft and then defensive impact. So that's encouraging that they'll be able to build a roster than can really gel with Lonzo's style of play.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah, as people have already said, that press conference was cringe-worthy at times. I'm all for propping up your high draft pick in the immediate aftermath of the selection (which is what teams usually do), but to call him the face of the franchise from Day 1 when we have other young, talented guys on this team that have been here longer and joke about him breaking your records, having his jersey retired, etc. is a bit much. Magic the person was never going to suddenly become Magic the basketball executive, as far as his media personality, but is it too much to ask him to dial it back just a little?

And Rob really didn't do much to temper the expectations either. In one sentence, he talks about how he doesn't like speaking in hyperbole, and then he goes on to call Lonzo a "transcendant" talent multiple times comparable to an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. You gotta' be (bleep) kidding me here.

I really, really hope they leave all the gushing at this first press conference, and let the kid go to work soon without putting all this unnecessary and ridiculous pressure him. All these pretty words aren't going to get us wins, after all.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
epak wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SInow/status/878441531618856960/video/1

Thank goodness we didn't draft JJ ;p

LOL 😂. What kind of athlete throws a ball like that.

Swaggy
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Yeah, as people have already said, that press conference was cringe-worthy at times. I'm all for propping up your high draft pick in the immediate aftermath of the selection (which is what teams usually do), but to call him the face of the franchise from Day 1 when we have other young, talented guys on this team that have been here longer and joke about him breaking your records, having his jersey retired, etc. is a bit much. Magic the person was never going to suddenly become Magic the basketball executive, as far as his media personality, but is it too much to ask him to dial it back just a little?

And Rob really didn't do much to temper the expectations either. In one sentence, he talks about how he doesn't like speaking in hyperbole, and then he goes on to call Lonzo a "transcendant" talent multiple times comparable to an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. You gotta' be (bleep) kidding me here.

I really, really hope they leave all the gushing at this first press conference, and let the kid go to work soon without putting all this unnecessary and ridiculous pressure him. All these pretty words aren't going to get us wins, after all.

they prob bought stocks from BBB
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

@ People complaining about Magic Johnson being Magic Johnson. He's been like that with the media since before he even came into the league.

He's basically putting the same expectations on Ball that were placed on him coming into the league.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

I agree with those saying the press conference was unusual. With Mitch, we've always been presented with a tempered expectation with words like ”hope" and "wait and see." Magic was very hyped.

However, if you listened to the interview afterwards on Spectrum, you heard Magic say we are setting high expectations now. He said he's not crazy and he knows the reality of things. But they want to start setting high expectations.

As others have stated here, if there's a kid that can handle the pressures of expectations, it's Lonzo. He's had that pressure and target on him since middle school. In AAU. At Chino Hills. And at UCLA. And not just external expectations but internal ones from dad and from himself.

I set high expectations for my favorite team. And I think that's OK. Especially before the season.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
@ People complaining about Magic Johnson being Magic Johnson. He's been like that with the media since before he even came into the league.

He's basically putting the same expectations on Ball that were placed on him coming into the league.

He's just speaking it into existance. Looks like Lavar is the least of Lonzo's problems.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:

It's a different league today than what it was during Magic's time, and a different media. And Lonzo sure as hell ain't Magic freakin' Johnson.

Also, it's one thing when a loudmouth like say, Draymond, spouts off in the media and raises expectations and scrutiny for his team. That's a veteran, championship team that can handle it. But if you have a rookie coming into the league and joining a 26-win roster, there's simply no benefit to publicizing this kind of stuff. Sure, you can set high expectations for a player/team, build a certain standard and culture of winning, whatever - but do it INTERNALLY, behind closed doors.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
And Rob has stressed that they're looking for players who fill the roster needs, shooting was a priority in this draft and then defensive impact. So that's encouraging that they'll be able to build a roster than can really gel with Lonzo's style of play.

"Shooting is a priority, so we got rid of our best shooter that broke our records for three pointers."
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I agree with those saying the press conference was unusual. With Mitch, we've always been presented with a tempered expectation with words like ”hope" and "wait and see." Magic was very hyped.

However, if you listened to the interview afterwards on Spectrum, you heard Magic say we are setting high expectations now. He said he's not crazy and he knows the reality of things. But they want to start setting high expectations.

As others have stated here, if there's a kid that can handle the pressures of expectations, it's Lonzo. He's had that pressure and target on him since middle school. In AAU. At Chino Hills. And at UCLA. And not just external expectations but internal ones from dad and from himself.

I set high expectations for my favorite team. And I think that's OK. Especially before the season.

Yep, and now if the Lakers don't land Paul George, it won't matter what Magic says. He'll just be seen as a hype/sales man that can't deliver.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

I don't know, dude was bred for basketball. That's all he does is Ball.

I think he will be fine, most people can't handle the hype and attention. He has been dealing with that crap forever

You guys are a bunch of "negative Nancy's"

Last edited by noahp45 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 231 of 1688
Jump to: