OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 250, 251, 252 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
epak wrote:
https://youtu.be/KbK5tolFzv4?t=223

Good take on Lonzo by Lee Jenkins on the Herd.
Also has a neat carrot on hating the DLo trade.

I think it makes us all feel better that more and more people in the know think Lonzo is going to be a transformative player.

The logic behind why he dislikes the DLO trade if flawed. According to that logic, we should hold onto every player to see what they look like with Lonzo before trading them. So if someone offered us an expiring contract for Deng, we shouldn't accept it because Deng might be amazing with Lonzo...but then the person we are getting back might be amazing with Lonzo too. Maybe Mosgov would averaged 25/15 playing next to Lonzo, so it was a mistake trading him too...but Lopez has just as good of a chance of looking good next to logic. Seriously flawed circular logic.

Talk about seriously flawed, this is a ridiculous comparison. Luol Deng is a 13-year veteran who has played for four different teams. We've already seen his prime. At almost 31 years and seven seasons experience with four teams, Timofey Mozgov's on the other side of his potential, too.

D'Angelo Russell has played two seasons. In one role. He just turned 21. Of course there's still reason to believe we haven't seen him in his most ideal environment, and as such that perhaps he might have blossomed in a new role next to a point guard that makes his teammates better.

The difference is, regardless of Ball's impact on his teammates, there is less elasticity to the expectations one can reasonably have for Deng and Mozgov than there is for Russell at this stage of their respective careers.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
If we don't land Paul George this year, wouldn't it be better to give minutes at SG to Hart to develop him over a one-year rental? Even if the rental plays well, he's most likely not in the long-term plans. So any chemistry built would probably disappear.

I'm looking for a player to come in, work hard, and keep the end of the bench guys sharp. Similar to Metta's role last year but with a guy who can actually play respectable rotational minutes.

Here's an excerpt from a Reddit thread on why Mike Miller is still in the NBA, from the "Dunc'd On" podcast from Nate Duncan:

Quote:
Speaking of those two guys [Malik Beasley, Hernangomaez] actually, and we'll close on this: people have wondered why a guy like Mike Miller is still in the league, he basically hasn't played all season. And I gotta little window into that very early on; I got to the game [Nuggets @ Warriors on January 2nd] early, about 5 o'clock, for the 7:30 game. And there was a 3 on 3 game - Miller, Beasley, Hernangomez, Alonzo Gee, and then a couple of the Nuggets assistant coaches, I think Steven Graham was one of em... [he's a] former NBA player... and then another guy I didn't recognize. So they're playing 3 on 3 hard; they played for like 45 minutes, I caught the last 20 minutes of it. They had been playing full court for a time, then they had to switch to half court when some of the Warriors players came out to start shooting. Jauncho [Hernangomez] and Beasley were exhausted... and Mike Miller is sill running around, still in great shape, draining 3s for game point in this 3 on 3 game... ya know talking it up all the time, like, Gee is posting up on Beasley, he's got a size advantage, and he [Mike Miller] is telling Beasley "he's going right shoulder, he's going right shoulder." Just yelling, talking, teaching these guys about the game. Being a great vet. Then afterwards these guys are completely exhausted and Mike Miller's like "hey you guys wanna run some sprints with me?" [Nate chuckles] And makes these guys run sprints with him after they're already just like totally out of gas. And, ya know, they weren't gonna play and that's how you keep those guys in shape, keep their skills sharp, teach those guys on the end of the bench to work. And that's why Mike Miller is still around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5mxkhi/a_story_about_why_mike_miller_is_still_in_the_nba/

I don't think the Lakers are interested in another bottom-5 year. That doesn't mean they're going to burn assets to win now, but I think they'll try to win as long as it doesn't ruin their 2018 double max cap plan.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Luke interview today, one of the first things he says is Lonzo makes the simple play. Luke said that over and over last season in a veiled message to DLo...
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
If we don't land Paul George this year, wouldn't it be better to give minutes at SG to Hart to develop him over a one-year rental? Even if the rental plays well, he's most likely not in the long-term plans. So any chemistry built would probably disappear.

I'm looking for a player to come in, work hard, and keep the end of the bench guys sharp. Similar to Metta's role last year but with a guy who can actually play respectable rotational minutes.

Here's an excerpt from a Reddit thread on why Mike Miller is still in the NBA, from the "Dunc'd On" podcast from Nate Duncan:

Quote:
Speaking of those two guys [Malik Beasley, Hernangomaez] actually, and we'll close on this: people have wondered why a guy like Mike Miller is still in the league, he basically hasn't played all season. And I gotta little window into that very early on; I got to the game [Nuggets @ Warriors on January 2nd] early, about 5 o'clock, for the 7:30 game. And there was a 3 on 3 game - Miller, Beasley, Hernangomez, Alonzo Gee, and then a couple of the Nuggets assistant coaches, I think Steven Graham was one of em... [he's a] former NBA player... and then another guy I didn't recognize. So they're playing 3 on 3 hard; they played for like 45 minutes, I caught the last 20 minutes of it. They had been playing full court for a time, then they had to switch to half court when some of the Warriors players came out to start shooting. Jauncho [Hernangomez] and Beasley were exhausted... and Mike Miller is sill running around, still in great shape, draining 3s for game point in this 3 on 3 game... ya know talking it up all the time, like, Gee is posting up on Beasley, he's got a size advantage, and he [Mike Miller] is telling Beasley "he's going right shoulder, he's going right shoulder." Just yelling, talking, teaching these guys about the game. Being a great vet. Then afterwards these guys are completely exhausted and Mike Miller's like "hey you guys wanna run some sprints with me?" [Nate chuckles] And makes these guys run sprints with him after they're already just like totally out of gas. And, ya know, they weren't gonna play and that's how you keep those guys in shape, keep their skills sharp, teach those guys on the end of the bench to work. And that's why Mike Miller is still around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5mxkhi/a_story_about_why_mike_miller_is_still_in_the_nba/

I don't think the Lakers are interested in another bottom-5 year. That doesn't mean they're going to burn assets to win now, but I think they'll try to win as long as it doesn't ruin their 2018 double max cap plan.

I don't think they're trying to be bottom five, but in the best case scenario of adding two max players next summer, wouldn't you prefer the young guys to have as much experience as possible? Take their lumps now and see who can contribute off the bench in a playoff run. Mario Chalmers getting run in Miami prior to LeBron/Bosh arriving helped pay dividends for the Heat. I see Josh Hart in a similar way as Mario: an experienced NCAA champion who won't be an NBA All-Star but can be a key contributor on a winning team.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Luke interview today, one of the first things he says is Lonzo makes the simple play. Luke said that over and over last season in a veiled message to DLo...

D'Lo continually tried the home run pass. Funnily enough Moz would too. I'd be thinking, don't do it Moz... ugh turnover.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Got a link ? Would like to hear that interview
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

its on spectrum after brook lopez conference. Said hes coming in working hard everyday leaves tired and that his play is rubbing off on his team. You could see the team hes on the passing is contagious
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

It isn't rocket science.

Our guys were making simple things too hard last season for some reason.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
and its true. you can't be mad at DLO or clarkson for not making "the simple" play. kobe didnt either a lot of his career. these guys are not pass first Pg's. they are solid passing SG's that want to shoot on first instinct. its just different.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

I expect Lonzo to make some dumb passes as well. I saw forced passes that were turnovers this past weekend with the Chino Hills marathon on Sportsnet. I don't see any difference with D'Angelo. Good passers will force things. But he's going to be given a longer leash because he's actually the new regime's draft pick. Same as if Mitch was still here, Russell would still be here.
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
and its true. you can't be mad at DLO or clarkson for not making "the simple" play. kobe didnt either a lot of his career. these guys are not pass first Pg's. they are solid passing SG's that want to shoot on first instinct. its just different.

Curry is a shoot first PG and he seems to make the simply.

Kobe made the simple play tons of times as well.

DLO is a good player, Lonzo is just better. Might even be better RIGHT NOW.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

I expect Lonzo to make some dumb passes as well. I saw forced passes that were turnovers this past weekend with the Chino Hills marathon on Sportsnet. I don't see any difference with D'Angelo. Good passers will force things. But he's going to be given a longer leash because he's actually the new regime's draft pick. Same as if Mitch was still here, Russell would still be here.

Lonzo's A: TO was over 3:1.

D'Angelo's in college wasn't even 2:1.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

FromMagicToKobe wrote:
Curry is a shoot first PG and he seems to make the simply.

The simple behind the back pass out of bounds in game 7 of the finals
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

D'Lo continually tried the home run pass. Funnily enough Moz would too. I'd be thinking, don't do it Moz... ugh turnover.

DLO is the worst version of himself we've seen. So many of the complaints I hear now are the same things that are said about other really good/great players once they are in their primes. Things like he just needed to mature, or it took him a while to find his groove, etc.

I hate to keep bringing up DLO but people want to keep (bleep) on the kid.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Lonzo's A: TO was over 3:1.

D'Angelo's in college wasn't even 2:1.

I can't wait to watch the kids play in summer league, I would not be shocked to see Lonzo have more than one 10+ assist game and maybe a triple double or two. He is also an underrated rebounder and I think his college points will translate easier than most

I like Magic and Rob's thinking...
Lonzo/Ingram (kids built around hard work and teamwork) are the short and long term core +
Paul George/Lebron/ or max player/max player + assets to work with like Lopez, Randle, Clarkson will bring the Lakers back to success.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Let's not stray too far off the Ball topic in this thread, please.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

its on spectrum after brook lopez conference. Said hes coming in working hard everyday leaves tired and that his play is rubbing off on his team. You could see the team hes on the passing is contagious

Lonzo working out with the team already?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Lonzo working out with the team already?

Appears to be the case, go to the 55 second mark to hear Luke's comments on Lonzo: http://www.spectrumsportsnet.com/lakers/videos/20170628/luke-walton-on-lonzo-ball-and-brook-lopez
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Excited to see Lonzo lead the Lakers.

I think Ingram is practicing with Zo at the Laker facilities
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
You could see the team hes on the passing is contagious

Glad to see the team's work ethic in the off-season is contagious as well.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
epak wrote:
https://youtu.be/KbK5tolFzv4?t=223

Good take on Lonzo by Lee Jenkins on the Herd.
Also has a neat carrot on hating the DLo trade.

I think it makes us all feel better that more and more people in the know think Lonzo is going to be a transformative player.

The logic behind why he dislikes the DLO trade if flawed. According to that logic, we should hold onto every player to see what they look like with Lonzo before trading them. So if someone offered us an expiring contract for Deng, we shouldn't accept it because Deng might be amazing with Lonzo...but then the person we are getting back might be amazing with Lonzo too. Maybe Mosgov would averaged 25/15 playing next to Lonzo, so it was a mistake trading him too...but Lopez has just as good of a chance of looking good next to logic. Seriously flawed circular logic.

As opposed to logic of trading a talented 21 year old who is also your best player because he's not the leader you thought he should be nor an All-Star by his 2nd season?

If you're not gonna show the patience to develop young players then might as well trade all your draft picks for the next 50 years.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I love that Zo and Brook have both been at the facilities already.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Man summer league can't get here fast enough, really want to see Lonzo and the rest of our rookies in action.

Especially if the passing is contagious.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I love that Zo and Brook have both been at the facilities already.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Man summer league can't get here fast enough, really want to see Lonzo and the rest of our rookies in action.

Especially if the passing is contagious.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 250, 251, 252 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 251 of 1688
Jump to: