OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 400, 401, 402 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Big O had 26 triple-doubles in his first season. Easily the most all-time for a rookie.

Quote:
Incidentally, before I joined the Royals in 1960-61 and recorded 26 triple-doubles, the single-season triple-double record was 9 — set in 1958, his final season, by another Royal named Maurice Stokes.

https://theundefeated.com/features/oscar-robertson-westbrook-broke-triple-double-record/
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Big O had 26 triple-doubles in his first season. Easily the most all-time for a rookie.

Quote:
Incidentally, before I joined the Royals in 1960-61 and recorded 26 triple-doubles, the single-season triple-double record was 9 — set in 1958, his final season, by another Royal named Maurice Stokes.

https://theundefeated.com/features/oscar-robertson-westbrook-broke-triple-double-record/

Nice find. That's crazy. Not sure Ball can reach that level. We will be able to tell the first weeks. I think he gets 10-15
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Quote:

Lonzo will beat this record by the all-star break too.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Totally random question for you guys. Is there ANY player in the league you would trade Ball straight up for? Disregard cba rules, just curious.

Is this supposed to be a difficult question? Ball hasn't played a single NBA game yet.

Durant
Curry
Davis
Towns
Harden
Simmons
Giannis
Irving
Wall
Jokic
Porz
Leonard
Gobert
Westbrook
George
Hayward
Conley
CP3
Cousins
Griffin

That's off the top of my head. I value youth A LOT otherwise I also would've added guys like M. Gasol on too.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo triple double watch next season? Hoping he stays healthy because there won't be anything to talk about next year with GSW running away with it again.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I can see him getting 3 or 4 Trip Dubs.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:

In the first week of the season.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I feel like Lonzo is kind of unique in that there seems to be a 50/50 split of people who think he's transcendent and people who think he's average or at the very least, worse then other top picks in recent drafts.

Personally I think the doubters are thinking like the 76ers or Celtics...not willing to give Lonzo's unique style of play a chance, and overestimating the value of your typical NBA all-star scorer. We shall see in just a few months which narrative is correct.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:

I could see him getting double digit assists & rebounds any night easily and then struggling with getting double digit points
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Quote:

http://nbastats.net/01NbaAbaNblAbl/05-GameLogs/playerRobertson.xlsx
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I feel like Lonzo is kind of unique in that there seems to be a 50/50 split of people who think he's transcendent and people who think he's average or at the very least, worse then other top picks in recent drafts.

Personally I think the doubters are thinking like the 76ers or Celtics...not willing to give Lonzo's unique style of play a chance, and overestimating the value of your typical NBA all-star scorer. We shall see in just a few months which narrative is correct.

There's been big PGs like Kendall Marshall and MCW who have vision that hes been compared to but Lonzo'spassing is game changing like Curry's shooting compared to JJ Reddick's. You have to add the other things he does better than other passers like rebounding, shot blocking, steals, finishing in the paint. I haven't seen anybody close since J Kidd.

Lonzo in his prime I think can get a triple dub every other game like he did in SL when he was out of shape.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

LaMelo Ball Vs. The Zion Williamson live right now.

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/live-stream-the-lamelo-ball-vs-zion-williamson-showdown/#OHdvdx1BUrl5cMkA.97
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

There's been big PGs like Kendall Marshall and MCW who have vision that hes been compared to but Lonzo'spassing is game changing like Curry's shooting compared to JJ Reddick's. You have to add the other things he does better than other passers like rebounding, shot blocking, steals, finishing in the paint. I haven't seen anybody close since J Kidd.

Lonzo in his prime I think can get a triple dub every other game like he did in SL when he was out of shape.

Hell, it's one of those things where you know it when you see it. When I see Lonzo orchestrating an offense, I know he's one of the best floor generals in the world, right now. That's the difference between he and the other prospects in this draft. None of them has a single ability that RIGHT NOW is as good as anyone's in the NBA. I can confidently say that Lonzo does.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

More than his triple doubles, I'm going to focus on his +/-. Lame right?
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Hell, it's one of those things where you know it when you see it. When I see Lonzo orchestrating an offense, I know he's one of the best floor generals in the world, right now. That's the difference between he and the other prospects in this draft. None of them has a single ability that RIGHT NOW is as good as anyone's in the NBA. I can confidently say that Lonzo does.

Totally agree...one complaint is sometimes he gives up the layup to kick it out for an open shooter...i would rather him take that easy basket.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Lonzo has been underrated pretty much his whole life because there has never been a player like him. Lonzo is so unique that even people who considered themselves to be Lonzo guys before the draft are realizing that they too were underrating him.

Some of Lonzo's biggest strengths cannot be measured traditionally through stats. For me, his number one attributes are his unique ability to control the game tempo and his team friendly style that seems to draw players to it. The Lakers are going to have a lot of fun playing next year and the excitement of the fanbase is going to be insane.

I see there are still a lot of doubters out there with regards to the Lakers making the playoffs. Drafting Lonzo was huge, but the team around him is severely underrated as well. They are going to run a lot of teams out of the gym next season.

I also think it won't be long before the Lakers will be a huge draw to other players and you'll see all star caliber guys taking pay cuts to wear the purple and gold.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo unlocks his teammates potential on offense. The only guy who didn't benefit from Ball at UCLA was Isaac Hamilton, who is an iso-player and ball-stopper. He could never get comfortable in the offense. A perfect example of someone like that adapting to playing with Lonzo is Vander Blue. After a few games, he started buying into adapting his shot selection and offensive movements to Lonzo and was much better for it. Vander was way more efficient and effective than I've ever seen him with the Lakers this Summer League.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject:

Not easy, but if Lonzo scores a triple double before Nov 16th, he beats LeBron as the youngest ever to do so.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
epak wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
I expect him to average 13 PPG, 8 APG, 2 SPG this season and win ROTY

How many rebounds?

I like the 8apg... who was the last rookie to do that?

Mark Jackson who also holds the APG record for a rookie with something like 8.3 APG...which I think is quite do-able and I've tried to curb my enthusiasm.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject:

I've seen all Lakers rookies since Magic Johnson and I don't feel this way about a prospect since Kobe.

Ball is a game changer, above his stats his play impacts the whole team in positive ways and this kind of intangible quality is what makes a few talented players transcendental.

Ball had two more triple doubles in summer league than all the rookies from the last decade together, was the MVP and had a 30+ pts game in the process. One can say it is just summer league, but that can be said about every single prospect entering NBA.

Some folks state that since Magic no pass first PG won it all, but those guys are all floor generals, Ball is not.

Some folks state Ball is not really a PG and his best role in half court is SG. I politely call it BS.

Ball is not a scoring guard neither a traditional floor general, Ball is the ultimate facilitator. He can run the offense with the ball barely touching his hands, he is an unique specimen.

His first play was an alley oop to Ingram, his first point he finished above the rim. Ball is an underrated athlete with some serious hoops and excellent speed. He is a bit like Nance, lacks the explosive first step and elite lateral quickness, but if you give him two steps it is enough.

We had 10 seconds to make something with the ball under Byron, 15 last season under Luke, now we have 22 seconds because our quarterback is finding any reciever open.

The kid is just ... well, a kid. I'm with Clarkson about that, things can become scary for other teams as he matures.

Is Ball going to struggle against pros? No doubt just like every rookie, but once he puts it all together he can be a game changer.

Ball almost by himself made me fell good to be a Lakers fan again. When we think about the Kuzma guy playing like Lary Bird earning the finals MVP it just gets better
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's best asset is being a culture changer.....with what he brings to the table his teammates seem to carry that even when he's not on the court and playing that type of sharing and opportunistic basketball really gives you a shot any given night...so he benefits the team with his individual play but we also get that additional benefit of how the team as a whole adopts that kind of play.

It's the main reason why I think we got the number 1 pick in the draft, there was no other player like him in the draft.

Barring injury I think Lonzo is going to be the runaway pick for ROY because his impact on the Lakers even if losing is just going to be that obvious....Fultz, and many of the other picks are buried on teams with vets or other younger but more experience all star potential talents.

ROY runner up will be DS Jr who I think will also make an obvious to the eye impact on dallas, but he gets runner up because I think Dirk still has a large shadow there
IBWriter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Lonzo's best asset is being a culture changer.....with what he brings to the table his teammates seem to carry that even when he's not on the court and playing that type of sharing and opportunistic basketball really gives you a shot any given night...so he benefits the team with his individual play but we also get that additional benefit of how the team as a whole adopts that kind of play.

It's the main reason why I think we got the number 1 pick in the draft, there was no other player like him in the draft.

Barring injury I think Lonzo is going to be the runaway pick for ROY because his impact on the Lakers even if losing is just going to be that obvious....Fultz, and many of the other picks are buried on teams with vets or other younger but more experience all star potential talents.

ROY runner up will be DS Jr who I think will also make an obvious to the eye impact on dallas, but he gets runner up because I think Dirk still has a large shadow there

What about Ben Simmons? Think he'll be a threat to win ROY over Lonzo?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

^ I think Ben Simmons will win roty. The media seems to be unreasonably harsh on laker players, while hyping other teams players. If he outplays media expectations and becomes roty we probably have a goat on our hands imo.

Lavar + magic + laker bias seem to be a lot to overcome but I hope he does.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
governator wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Totally random question for you guys. Is there ANY player in the league you would trade Ball straight up for? Disregard cba rules, just curious.

No, and this is predicated on one idea.

That he increases transition % volume and makes the Lakers elite in the league for that.

The rest of the stars of the NBA, for the most part, maximize efficiency out of possessions.

But, finding a guy that gets you MORE transition possessions where everyone benefits? Like, he's a one man GSW team.

Also, rookie scale contract vs MAX contract guys. Want to find the guy that can make Durant even more efficient? He's a Laker.

As for Giannis, I get that he bends a defense, but he's still a wing that lacks a jumpshot. In fact, his last playoffs he looked DOMINANT because he actually shot 40% to 45% from mid out to 3pt line, except those shots aren't catch and shoot either. They're ball stopped pull ups off the dribble with defenders daring him to shoot.

Are you happier with our current situation, blue chips with possibility of adding 2 max but has to remove Deng Vs if somehow we had succeeded in trading for both PG and Kyrie (at the expense of Ball, BI, JC, Randle), same DLO bkn trade so still has to clear Deng/fill up team/convince PG to stay?

I think the happiest situation personally, would have been keeping DAR, Deng, Mozzy, etc.

I get that Lopez is SUPER SUPER important as a stretch 5, especially on offense, and providing team rebounding percentages and rim protection, but I'm going to theorize on this idea.

If the Lakers kept Mozzy, DAR, we don't need Ennis. The Lakers keep their only real screen setter in Mozzy, and still can go small with Nance, Kuzma, Randle. Just limit Mozzy's minutes.

Mozzy, Nance
Randle, Deng, Kuzma, Nance
Ingram, Deng, Kuzma
DAR, JC, Hart
Ball, Caruso

I'm theorizing that there's no cap room for KCP, even if Mozzy and Lopez have similar contract numbers.

1. Mozzy set the screens to free up guards. His range extends to 17'. Kuzma, Ingram, DAR, Ball makes things very interesting. For all of the times we got to see Hart and Vander Blue start downhill 10' beyond the 3pt. line, we NEVER got to see DAR, a playmaker, in that similar position.

2. DAR and Zo have complementary off-ball games AND can actually make the passes within a halfcourt set.

3. DAR adds a dimension on offense, not just as a spot up shooter (where I think he excels far more than the pull up shooting), but as a legit PnR guard with an actual stretch 4 in Kuzma and arguably, Deng.

4. With how free agency turned out, doesn't it make sense to send DAR + Mozzy + Randle to the Cavs for Kyrie? Personally, I think the Cavs are tired of Tristan Thompson, and Mozzy and Randle always bring it. Put Love theoretical at 5.

I see that lineup and don't see the 2 ridiculous contracts. I see that lineup and see a vast wealth of rookie scale contracts, producing above their pay rate. This is where there's SO MUCH value in draft picks, even if the other team didn't draft a guy.

I see
I'm just surprised somewhat at the FO restraint so far from going for the homerun. So you would rather go thru the real GS path, develop own talent and trade later. What timeline would you have given before making moves, until Mozgov/Deng in the last year of contract?
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

The +/- stat can be skewed at times.

Last edited by True Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 400, 401, 402 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 401 of 1688
Jump to: