OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
Quote:
INGRAM: You love everything on the court about him. The way he passes the basketball. His demeanor. The way he works. But I think the thing about him is his attitude and his character. The way he passes the basketball like no one else … but he’s different. He’s always joking. Just a great guy, someone you want to play with. You can go around with a guy of his caliber, the way he plays, he could be cocky … but I don’t see anything cocky. He’s humble. He comes in here early and works every day. He’s just him, he doesn’t want to be anybody else.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170915-ingram-keefe-interview?cid=tw

Ingram talking about Lonzo Ball

Very cool. Ingram has some muscles on his arms now in that second picture. I remember seeing his photo in his suit after he was drafted and thinking he had some Andy Adler skeleton arms. Kid was basically a stick figure given human form. Looks like the weight work is paying off.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Hopefully Zo and Steve-o keep in touch. If Nash could work miracles with JC he should do wonders with Zo. D'lo could've seriously benefited from his tutelage. I remember there was talk when he first got to GSW about how he wouldn't really be able to help Steph since he was already so good, then he went on to have arguably the greatest season in history.

That was 1 problem with Russell, he had to much ego to get advice from vets in the NBA, actually that was a big problem, id imagine he would have had better stats in his 2nd year if he took the time to work out with Nash or Kobe, dude thought he was all that and he wasn't good yet, hopefully he has a good career in Brooklyn.

Is this true?

Did DLo work out with anybody? I don't remember

Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
this is turning into a KD situation where every time he complimented his new teammates in GS is interpreted as a slight against Westbrook.

Except this time, it's not just one person (KD) saying it. LOL.
We've heard things from players, coaches, President of Operations say things that may or may not be more that it really is.

I always go back to what Ireland said about what the coaches he trust have said about a certain point guard. It just makes other comments like BI's make you go: "oh really." It may be nothing, but it's fun to play detective.

Elaborate on this for those of us who don't live in LA or have access to those radio shows and such lol. What exactly did Ireland say?

Dangit. I thought I had it written down somewhere.
I couldn't find the podcast either.

The only quote I could find on LG was:

epak wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
From another forum.
Luke Walton on ESPN710: not a single coach from either the Byron era or the Luke era would really say "D'Angelo is going to be a great player." Almost all of them would say "boy I hope he figures it out".

Both he and Ramona said he has all the talent and both agreed he simply wasn't dedicated every single day to improving on the court.
Both said they're pulling for him to succeed and turn it around in Brooklyn.
Ramona also said the phone thing was still an issue a bit. John disagreed.

OMG. I'm listening to ESPN 710 right now.
Luke Walton did NOT say that.
John Ireland said that.

Wow.
C'mon people!!!

But I could have sworn there was another instance where John shared that he had talked to some coaches he trusts, and they said DLO was not coachable. But alas, I cannot find the link. If anyone else can back me up, please do. If not, I will never bring that up again.

That's interesting. Not sure how I missed it during the summer. Makes sense though. This kind of talk about him from people who worked with him closely is too consistent to not have some semblance of truth to it. I still hope he has a long, successful career, but I also think moving him was for the best.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
this is turning into a KD situation where every time he complimented his new teammates in GS is interpreted as a slight against Westbrook.

We've heard things from players, coaches, President of Operations say things that may or may not be more that it really is.

I always go back to what Ireland said about what the coaches he trust have said about a certain point guard. It just makes other comments like BI's make you go: "oh really." It may be nothing, but it's fun to play detective.

Elaborate on this for those of us who don't live in LA or have access to those radio shows and such lol. What exactly did Ireland say?

epak wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
From another forum.
Luke Walton on ESPN710: not a single coach from either the Byron era or the Luke era would really say "D'Angelo is going to be a great player." Almost all of them would say "boy I hope he figures it out".

Both he and Ramona said he has all the talent and both agreed he simply wasn't dedicated every single day to improving on the court.

John Ireland said that.

Wow.
C'mon people!!!

But I could have sworn there was another instance where John shared that he had talked to some coaches he trusts, and they said DLO was not coachable. But alas, I cannot find the link. If anyone else can back me up, please do. If not, I will never bring that up again.

That's interesting. Not sure how I missed it during the summer. Makes sense though. This kind of talk about him from people who worked with him closely is too consistent to not have some semblance of truth to it. I still hope he has a long, successful career, but I also think moving him was for the best.

Luke didnt say that.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

FYI Lonzo Ball to appear on the Late Late Show with James Corden 9/18
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

epak wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
From another forum.

John Ireland said that.

Wow.
C'mon people!!!

Luke didnt say that.

Yep, Luke touted that Russell had a high work ethic BUT he stressed the need to find a consistent routine so they were working on that. That's from Luke.

Interestingly enough, Byron's advice to D'lo when it came to finding a routine was to pull it back a bit as he essentially told him he worked too hard and was in the gym too often and NEEDED to save something for the game.

So when Russell took his advice, Byron then followed up running to the media questioning Russell's work ethic. Byron's a piece of [expletive] and it was very easy to see why he lost locker rooms and barely anyone could stand him.

As has been stated, Luke was actually successful at working with the youngsters on the stuff they needed to work on as opposed to asking them to 'figure it out' and worked with Russell on finding such a routine as he stressed the importance of in order to be successful at this level.

That's one of the greatest differences between Luke and Byron.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

If you combine Ingram's interview with his comments at the rookie game about D'lo not liking to pass, it seems like there's something there. His comments at the game were said in a joking but serious tone. I didn't always like D'lo's body language or interviews but I never figured his attitude was that much of a problem until very recently.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
If you combine Ingram's interview with his comments at the rookie game about D'lo not liking to pass, it seems like there's something there. His comments at the game were said in a joking but serious tone. I didn't always like D'lo's body language or interviews but I never figured his attitude was that much of a problem until very recently.

You mean when he was very clearly joking?

kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Will be sure to watch it.

Lonzo's been on The Ellen show and now this show Monday. Any other NBA rookie been on any national Talk Shows....much less 2 of them?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Will be sure to watch it.

Lonzo's been on The Ellen show and now this show Monday. Any other NBA rookie been on any national Talk Shows....much less 2 of them?

Kobe and LeBron I'm sure have but it was so long ago

manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Did you watch the game? D'lo was hotdogging his ass off. Like I said, joking but serious. Granted it's an exhibition game but still. Again taking everything into context it seems like there may be some validity to the idea that D'lo wasn't the easiest guy to play with.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
epak wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Quote:
INGRAM: You love everything on the court about him. The way he passes the basketball. His demeanor. The way he works. But I think the thing about him is his attitude and his character. The way he passes the basketball like no one else … but he’s different. He’s always joking. Just a great guy, someone you want to play with. You can go around with a guy of his caliber, the way he plays, he could be cocky … but I don’t see anything cocky. He’s humble. He comes in here early and works every day. He’s just him, he doesn’t want to be anybody else.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170915-ingram-keefe-interview?cid=tw

Ingram talking about Lonzo Ball

Must... resist... reading more into it than it... really is.
I love the quote.... but still must resist...

Don't worry, you don't have to do it. I predict there will be media posts reaching real hard about the hidden meaning in this one within the next 24 hours.

What's to be read into? I read the whole article and he was simply expressing his admiration for Ball's style of play & skills. It was especially exciting, and even revealing, to hear his use of the pronoun "my" point guard when discussing Ball.

Like Kuzma, BI perceives that the style of play & skills of Ball is going to complement everyone. That simply cannot be said about most players, including Russell. And that's not a shot at him.

Last edited by LakerDYnasty72 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

BI must have wanted to murder Lou and JC then

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Hopefully Zo and Steve-o keep in touch. If Nash could work miracles with JC he should do wonders with Zo. D'lo could've seriously benefited from his tutelage. I remember there was talk when he first got to GSW about how he wouldn't really be able to help Steph since he was already so good, then he went on to have arguably the greatest season in history.

That was 1 problem with Russell, he had to much ego to get advice from vets in the NBA, actually that was a big problem, id imagine he would have had better stats in his 2nd year if he took the time to work out with Nash or Kobe, dude thought he was all that and he wasn't good yet, hopefully he has a good career in Brooklyn.

Is this true?

Look at the source.

better yet...look at the facts
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Rookie game? You mean the game where DLO had the most assist in the least amount of time? C'mon stop it.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Oh hey check out this cool thread I just found

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174022
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Rookie game? You mean the game where DLO had the most assist in the least amount of time? C'mon stop it.

Well why did Ingram say that then? Getting assists doesn't mean he wasn't overdribbling or jacking shots which he definitely was at times. I mean Luke did mention on more than one occasion about teaching D'lo to get everyone involved when he's such a good scorer. And his leadership/people wanting to play with him is basically the reason he was traded. I was upset when the trade happened but I'm starting to come to grips with it over time
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Oh hey check out this cool thread I just found

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174022

Nice find!
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Car54 wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Well why did Ingram say that then? Getting assists doesn't mean he wasn't overdribbling or jacking shots which he definitely was at times. I mean Luke did mention on more than one occasion about teaching D'lo to get everyone involved when he's such a good scorer. And his leadership/people wanting to play with him is basically the reason he was traded. I was upset when the trade happened but I'm starting to come to grips with it over time

If you actually watched that game it was obviously a joke on Ingram's end.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
MJST wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Did you watch the game? D'lo was hotdogging his ass off.

Dude it was an exhibition game on the level of an all-star game for rookies. You're gonna hate on someone for hotdogging in a 'rookie all-star' game? Seriously? -_-

"Granted it was an exhibition.."

and thats where that thought should have stopped.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
BI must have wanted to murder Lou and JC then

Exactly. Ingram played most of the time with Lou Williams and Jordan Clarkson, but his problem was Russell not passing the ball. Right!

It's amazing that every time DLo is brought back here it's by his haters, that will eventually complain we're talking too much about a player who's gone. But then, they bring him back again.

Every. Single. Time.

Must be a disease.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

When DLo was a Laker, I liked him. I wanted him to do well.
I criticized his bad games.
I praised his good games.
I wanted him here to see how he plays with Lonzo.
But since he's traded and no longer a Laker, who cares if we bash him now?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

I'm a bit worried Ball's going to be surrounded by non-instinctual cutters in the starting lineup, which is going to lead to a few too many moments of half-court stagnation and Ball heaving up deep 3s.

KCP, BI, and Julius all have the talent, so hopefully Walton can get them more aware and more active working off of back cuts, split cuts, etc.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I'm a bit worried Ball's going to be surrounded by non-instinctual cutters in the starting lineup, which is going to lead to a few too many moments of half-court stagnation and Ball heaving up deep 3s.

KCP, BI, and Julius all have the talent, so hopefully Walton can get them more aware and more active working off of back cuts, split cuts, etc.

They have the talent but not the insticts to cut?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
When DLo was a Laker, I liked him. I wanted him to do well.
I criticized his bad games.
I praised his good games.
I wanted him here to see how he plays with Lonzo.
But since he's traded and no longer a Laker, who cares if we bash him now?

Why do you feel compelled to bash him? It's like going out of your way to bash Goran Dragic or Tyler Johnson.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 434 of 1688
Jump to: