OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Oh lord, flipped to ESPN and Stephen A is with Lavar on the floor and Lavar is throwing the whole team under the bus.

I kind of wish we could loan him out to the Spurs for a season just to see what he can do while he learns a bit from Pop.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo will be fine. He came out too passive but otherwise brought the effort and looked like he belonged.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
yanuary
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I dont like his activity on the boards in my opinion its overrated because he has many uncontested D rebs, but when he should fight he doesnt and Clippers had off rebs.

And overall, he was weak, but its normal for rookie PG.

Last edited by yanuary on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We have no finishers and no shooters. Basically the worst possible team you could put around him. I would have rather seen Zo, Clarkson, Kuz, Randle, Lopez starting lineup.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

His defensive activity was such a pleasant surprise. I could actually see him being a plus defender, at least against these slower and deliberate point guards coming off screens. The quick ones, probably not, but he definitely has the length to recover, contest, rebound and push.

Still very unpolished offensively and had zero spacing and shooting around him. Absolute worst situation for him.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

JerryWest_44 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Oh lord, flipped to ESPN and Stephen A is with Lavar on the floor and Lavar is throwing the whole team under the bus.

Not that I would go about it that way especially on national TV -- but the team around Lonzo stunk --- if had a resemblance of an NBA team around him he would've had a gillion assists.

I think after 10 games Lavar is going all out on Luke.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

Anyone specifically get trashed?

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Lavar coaching.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pokoy wrote:
If Zo had any talent or system around him, he would have double digit assists tonight. I thought he played well, and I think he showed a lot of toughness going up against Beverley. I wish Luke would have given him some reps during garbage time. I didn’t think he looked winded at all.

His ankle was acting up after the 1st Q, and they have a winnable game tomorrow night, so I understand Luke's decision there.

I don't understand putting a lineup of Ingram, Brewer, and Nance around him in the 3rd Q.

Luke likes nonshooters around his prized pass first PG

There are just no damn shooters on this team to begin with. Russell had the same problem last year, except he had a supernova Nick Young (and Deng shot 38% from 3 with the starters so that was passable).

But I would have preferred to see him with JC, personally.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

please tell me your joking?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pokoy wrote:
If Zo had any talent or system around him, he would have double digit assists tonight. I thought he played well, and I think he showed a lot of toughness going up against Beverley. I wish Luke would have given him some reps during garbage time. I didn’t think he looked winded at all.

His ankle was acting up after the 1st Q, and they have a winnable game tomorrow night, so I understand Luke's decision there.

I don't understand putting a lineup of Ingram, Brewer, and Nance around him in the 3rd Q.

Luke likes nonshooters around his prized pass first PG

Kuzma needs to be out there with him instead of Brewer and Deng.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
His defensive activity was such a pleasant surprise. I could actually see him being a plus defender, at least against these slower and deliberate point guards coming off screens. The quick ones, probably not, but he definitely has the length to recover, contest, rebound and push.

Still very unpolished offensively and had zero spacing and shooting around him. Absolute worst situation for him.

The guy is going to develop into a plus help defender, especially as he gains strength, because of his length, IQ, and motor. I only saw one slow close out from him tonight on a semi-bum wheel.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
We have no finishers and no shooters. Basically the worst possible team you could put around him. I would have rather seen Zo, Clarkson, Kuz, Randle, Lopez starting lineup.

Randle can shoot? I thought you wanted shooters.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Still gonna say.

If Luke had went with a lineup of

Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Kyke Kuzma
Julius Randle
Brook Lopez

We would have gotten off to a much better start.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Not worried about his game. Wish we had a complimentary sg who was around the same age, could run the half court offense and pick and rolls and drain 3 balls. They should look into getting someone like that

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

The best possible team to highlight his skills wouldn't be a championship contender.

The type of players needed to become a championship team at most marginally benefit from playing with Lonzo.

A superstar talent that is entirely dependent on the team around him to truly impact the game is not a superstar talent.

I am just not a fan of what he brings to a team. Everyone loves the pass ahead. That might have worked in HS or college where the skill disparity was large, but in the NBA, that is a turnover or forced shot waiting to happen for 90% of NBA players.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
Not worried about his game. Wish we had a complimentary sg who was around the same age, could run the half court offense and pick and rolls and drain 3 balls. They should look into getting someone like that

I think you described Caldwell Pope.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

The best possible team to highlight his skills wouldn't be a championship contender.

The type of players needed to become a championship team at most marginally benefit from playing with Lonzo.

A superstar talent that is entirely dependent on the team around him to truly impact the game is not a superstar talent.

I am just not a fan of what he brings to a team. Everyone loves the pass ahead. That might have worked in HS or college where the skill disparity was large, but in the NBA, that is a turnover or forced shot waiting to happen for 90% of NBA players.

Don't think that's true if you watch GS play. You just gotta have guys spacing the floor and ready to make the right pass to exploit the defender in the weakest position. You know, guys that are offensively organized.

And all of his pass aheads connected tonight. Ingram and Clarkson both missed layups coming off of them.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:

I think you described Caldwell Pope.

I do think pope is a nice compliment for LO. I’d be a lot more bummed about game one if it wasn’t for KCP who at least has some promise. Actually I’m beginning to wonder if KCP has more promise than the starting 2 guard tonight

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Don't think that's true if you watch GS play. You just gotta have guys spacing the floor and ready to make the right pass to exploit the defender in the weakest position. You know, guys that are offensively organized.

And all of his pass aheads connected tonight. Ingram and Clarkson both missed layups coming off of them.

Clarkson and Ingram both missed highly contested lay-ups. We likely could have got better looks running an actual offense.

GS doesn't just have some guys spacing the floor and ready to exploit the defense. GS has two of the best shooters of all-time and two great scorers. GS system is built around greatness first and foremost.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Still gonna say.

If Luke had went with a lineup of

Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Kyke Kuzma
Julius Randle
Brook Lopez

We would have gotten off to a much better start.

matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

Zo should have had 10 assists but is teammates fumbled sharp passes and missed easy buckets

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

Trade Ingram for a shooter. That would greatly help. Our summer league team would compete. Terrible on defense but lights our shooting.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:

Think I know a guy that has all those qualities.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

GS doesn't just have some guys spacing the floor and ready to exploit the defense. GS has two of the best shooters of all-time and two great scorers. GS system is built around greatness first and foremost.

You don't think it can be approximated with competent shooters that the defense would have to respect and energetic, pass-conscious rim runners? I'm not asking for an all time great roster for Lonzo, I'm just asking for Larry Nance to shoot once off a (bleep) short roll when he's open. And I'm sorry but neither layup was heavily contested. Ingram bricked it off the glass with a small guy on him, and Clarkson straight up missed a 1ft shot with the defense on Brewer.

We have very little organized half court offense, so their calling card is running like young dogs now. But if you don't have shooters, finishers, or secondary playmakers on the floor you're right that it's turnover prone at best and downright physically dangerous at worst.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 473 of 1688
Jump to: