OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 709, 710, 711 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I think it is hard to tell if his FT percentage means anything to be honest. He has taken 28 of them in 19 games.

That's about 1.5 per game.

He'll either need to take more FTs or we'll need to wait longer.

He's taken so few FTs that if he just made 1 free throw that he missed every 3 games, he'd be at over 71%.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
Hitting back to back 3's regardless of trash time was good to see.

First time his shot looked as smooth as at UCLA. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think it is hard to tell if his FT percentage means anything to be honest. He has taken 28 of them in 19 games.

That's about 1.5 per game.

He'll either need to take more FTs or we'll need to wait longer.

He's taken so few FTs that if he just made 1 free throw that he missed every 3 games, he'd be at over 71%.

yeah, less worried about the % right now....but over the next year, he needs to increase his attempts per game....may be more of a year 2 improvement
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
A big part of the FT% dip could be explained by tweaking his form. That's what 67% FT shooting guards do, who also come into the league shooting terribly from 3. He's definitely tweaked it, who knows how many times
I think bad shooters tweak their forms pretty often --- *more dip* here, *earlier wrist action* here, *slightly higher shot pocket* because my trajectory isn't optimal and maybe that's why I'm still below avg % wise. We just aren't privy to the tweaks. Then after the tweaks don't go great, there's probably hesitance to which stroke to go with - to stick the new changes out or not, maybe that question is in your head while you shoot the ball.

It's clear to see he's done these small tweaks with his 3pt shot - I haven't paid close attention to his FTs. But there was a draft workout video where everyone was notcing him shooting FTs from more of the middle of his face than left side...Now it's back to left side. Tweaks like this happen all the time, y'all - we don't know wth is going on with these guys shooting and minds

This is why I'm curious if it's common for an 80% free throw shooter in high school to become a bad free throw shooter in college. If he stayed anywhere near 80% from the line, he wouldn't have to tweak his free throw shooting at all.

The dip from HS to college at the FT line is actually pretty damn common, if I'm not mistaken. All of the top stud players who shoot crappy FT% as freshman , were good FT shooters in high school. Ingram, Fultz, Winslow, Lonzo, J.Brown, Stanley etc etc etc etc etc etc - i think they were good FT shooters in high school. There's been a crap load of these cases recently, top wings inexplicably shooting poor from the FT line
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
There's been a crap load of these cases recently, top wings inexplicably shooting poor from the FT line

is a crap load bigger or smaller than a (bleep) ton?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
There's been a crap load of these cases recently, top wings inexplicably shooting poor from the FT line

is a crap load bigger or smaller than a (bleep) ton?

Smaller.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
Hitting back to back 3's regardless of trash time was good to see.

First time his shot looked as smooth as at UCLA. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Yeah it was but it just reinforced the concern he can't shoot under pressure.

But so much time for him to figure this out.

I wish there was a way we could see how he'd do under MDA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

The fact that his biggest concerns about Zo are shooting, handles, strength, and finishing in the paint/basket has me incredibly encouraged. Those are the things you can greatly improve with specific skill work.

People are taking the rest of Lonzo's game for granted. I mean::

- He puts up 9/7/7 with such ease that people overlook it. There are less than 10-12 players in the league who are capable of giving you 7 and 7 per game.

- He's a monster rebounder as a 20 year old rookie. Imagine as he grows into his man body.

- His passing/playmaking has been really good and if he played with more guys who could hit shots, his numbers would be even better. Already a culture and style change since he arrived.

- His defense is a huge surprise. At times he gets blown right by but he also stuff people on a somewhat regular basis and is really good at getting his hands in there to strip the ball.

Truly his father has put him in a spot light that makes in hard to succeed in the court of public opinion if he's not in the MVP discussion but Lonzo has handled it well and once he gets that shot and teammates who can hit shots, I see no reason he's not a 15/7/10 type player. Boogie + PG13 + Randle + Cheap Shooters 💰💰💰
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
The fact that his biggest concerns about Zo are shooting, handles, strength, and finishing in the paint/basket has me incredibly encouraged. Those are the things you can greatly improve with specific skill work.

- He puts up 9/7/7 with such ease that people overlook it. There are less than 10-12 players in the league who are capable of giving you 7 and 7 per game.

- He's a monster rebounder as a 20 year old rookie. Imagine as he grows into his man body.

- His passing/playmaking has been really good and if he played with more guys who could hit shots, his numbers would be even better. Already a culture and style change since he arrived.

- His defense is a huge surprise. At times he gets blown right by but he also stuff people on a somewhat regular basis and is really good at getting his hands in there to strip the ball.

Truly his father has put him in a spot light that makes in hard to succeed in the court of public opinion if he's not in the MVP discussion but Lonzo has handled it well and once he gets that shot and teammates who can hit shots, I see no reason he's not a 15/7/10 type player. Boogie + PG13 + Randle + Cheap Shooters 💰💰💰

The best post I've ever read on this forum
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Good thing about Lonzo shooting 40% FT is that he makes Ingram look like Ray Allen out there shooting 60% FT
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

We're the worst 3pt shooting and FT shooting team in the NBA. We're in the bottom 1/3 of the NBA in AFG%.

We really need to invest on getting a whole bunch of shooting coaches in here lol.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
We're the worst 3pt shooting and FT shooting team in the NBA. We're in the bottom 1/3 of the NBA in AFG%.

We really need to invest on getting a whole bunch of shooting coaches in here lol.

Maybe they shouldn't have equipped the UCLA Health Training Center with 9 1/2 foot rims.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Nice post - people need let him adjust to the pro game.

His UCLA stats are 0.412 3% out of 5.4 per game and 0.673 FT%, and many of those 3 attempts were from NBA range.

Anyone care to guess mvp candidate ben simmons 3P%?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

3 pt shooting is one thing because you could argue it has to do with the looks they are getting or whatever, but there is absolutely zero excuse for the free throws as all those are the same looks for everyone.

I agree that with the money being invested in these players that a better shooting coach (I am assuming they have someone doing this?) would be a great idea, Chip Engelland went to Palisades High for crissakes, bring him home with an offer so fat he can't refuse.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

3 pt shooting is one thing because you could argue it has to do with the looks they are getting or whatever, but there is absolutely zero excuse for the free throws as all those are the same looks for everyone.

I agree that with the money being invested in these players that a better shooting coach (I am assuming they have someone doing this?) would be a great idea, Chip Engelland went to Palisades High for crissakes, bring him home with an offer so fat he can't refuse.

If we hired Chip he would have to be willing to eat where he shat
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Another fun video to watch. Watching these videos really shows me what a poor shooting team we are, Lonzo is setting up a lot of great shots that end up as straight bricks (looking at you brook).
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Another fun video to watch. Watching these videos really shows me what a poor shooting team we are, Lonzo is setting up a lot of great shots that end up as straight bricks (looking at you brook).

That and we constantly have guys who are turning those wide open looks into contested shots in the paint instead of catching and shooting.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

UCLA was intoxicating to watch last year because guys could shoot and were being setup perfectly by Lonzo. It was a beautiful thing to watch. This Lakers team is excruciating to watch because of their lack of shooting.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

UCLA was intoxicating to watch last year because guys could shoot and were being setup perfectly by Lonzo. It was a beautiful thing to watch. This Lakers team is excruciating to watch because of their lack of shooting.

Matt Thomas shooting 53-55% 3P% in spanish league...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Sweet.
Any stats on how many buckets he gives up?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Sweet.
Any stats on how many buckets he gives up?

no such stats available.
would you rather have a really good shooter than vander blue ?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have a Lil Caesars pepperoni pizza than Vander Blue

I'm a vegetarian.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Good thing about Lonzo shooting 40% FT is that he makes Ingram look like Ray Allen out there shooting 60% FT

He's a good teammate.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I'd rather have a Lil Caesars pepperoni pizza than Vander Blue

I'm a vegetarian.

Ba-Da-Bum-tsssh!

Will you be here all week?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 709, 710, 711 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 710 of 1688
Jump to: