OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 710, 711, 712 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather eat solely cat food for a week than have Ennis

I'm a dog.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I'd rather have a Lil Caesars pepperoni pizza than Vander Blue

I'm a vegetarian.

DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Another fun video to watch. Watching these videos really shows me what a poor shooting team we are, Lonzo is setting up a lot of great shots that end up as straight bricks (looking at you brook).

UCLA was intoxicating to watch last year because guys could shoot and were being setup perfectly by Lonzo. It was a beautiful thing to watch. This Lakers team is excruciating to watch because of their lack of shooting.

Matt Thomas shooting 53-55% 3P% in spanish league...

He was the guy I wanted the lakers to get on the NBA squad after his clutch 3 point shooting in summer league. Maybe he is just viewed as a complete defensive liability for the big time.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Another fun video to watch. Watching these videos really shows me what a poor shooting team we are, Lonzo is setting up a lot of great shots that end up as straight bricks (looking at you brook).

UCLA was intoxicating to watch last year because guys could shoot and were being setup perfectly by Lonzo. It was a beautiful thing to watch. This Lakers team is excruciating to watch because of their lack of shooting.

He was the guy I wanted the lakers to get on the NBA squad after his clutch 3 point shooting in summer league. Maybe he is just viewed as a complete defensive liability for the big time.

if he was such a d liability, a great shooter would obviously be useful for end of quarter/game sequences.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Still hard to believe, actually, that Magic didn’t, at the very least, at least bring in a pure shooter from the backcourt into training camp.

I get trying your best to pay respect to Vander Blue for his hard work on the D-Fenders, but anyone with half a brain could see that Ball needs shooters to look and be at his best.

Why couldn’t Magic see this too? Why Blue over Thomas?

Not signing Thomas, or any pure shooter in the backcourt, was/is this front office’s biggest oversight thus far.

Last edited by Joe Pesci on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject:

Call me crazy, I’ll happily where that title if you do, but Caruso and Thomas as backup guards might be more effective to the overall well-being of the team than having Clarkson and Blue.

If you’re going to invest and go all-in on Ball’s style of play, having two guys who clearly play his style would be of more benefit than having two guys who, in my opinion, as guards, break from Ball’s style of unselfishness and strict team play.

Might losing Clarkson and Blue, at this point, even with those gaudy numbers, and replacing them with Caruso and a pure shooter be addition by subtraction?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Sweet.
Any stats on how many buckets he gives up?

I admittedly never watched him in college, but his defense didn’t look bad to me at all in summer league.

We have to be careful the time we don’t fall victim to stereotyping. Just because he’s a short, slow footed, white, pure shooter, doesn’t automatically mean he’s a bad defender.

I haven’t seen any evidence that he isn’t any worse of a defender than Blue or Clarkson.

He actually looked tough as nails on defense to me — reminded me of Fisher, Harpring, or Majerle in terms of toughness.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

Agree with Joe Pesci. I am okay with trading Clarkson, I think we do have enough shot creators where we can comfortably replace him.. We got Kuzma, Ingram and Randle, all can be shot creators. Replacing Clarkson and Brewer with 3 and D players sounds like a plan if you ask me. Also agree with giving minutes to Caruso.
We need shooters, period.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

Lopez is hurting him big time... BIG time. He needa a guy like Randle who can run with the best of them.I would love to see him w this team

PG.Lonzo 6"5
SG.Ingram 6"10
SF.Kuzma 6"10
PF.Nance 6"10
C.Randle 6"10

that includes all the players we want in our future.. why the hell are we playing lopez? He is leaving next year. I don't believe in the veteran crap. Look at philly. You either have the talent or you don't.

These 5 players might (depending on spacing) do great things together.

I would tell them. IDC who gets the defensive rebounding everyone is going to have to push the ball. They all can do it. Our goal every night should be to out run every team. Let them make mistakes lets accelerate this process. Learning gets easier when you make the mistakes yourself. Next year we re-sign randle and get PG13 Then you bench the worse between kuzma, ball, ingean and nance.. most likely nance.. then you have

Ball
PG13
Ingram
Kuzma
Randle

KCP is a bench player. He could be used to slow downan offensive wing that has gotten hot.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
Lopez is hurting him big time... BIG time. He needa a guy like Randle who can run with the best of them.I would love to see him w this team

PG.Lonzo 6"5
SG.Ingram 6"10
SF.Kuzma 6"10
PF.Nance 6"10
C.Randle 6"10

that includes all the players we want in our future.. why the hell are we playing lopez? He is leaving next year. I don't believe in the veteran crap. Look at philly. You either have the talent or you don't.

These 5 players might (depending on spacing) do great things together.

I would tell them. IDC who gets the defensive rebounding everyone is going to have to push the ball. They all can do it. Our goal every night should be to out run every team. Let them make mistakes lets accelerate this process. Learning gets easier when you make the mistakes yourself. Next year we re-sign randle and get PG13 Then you bench the worse between kuzma, ball, ingean and nance.. most likely nance.. then you have

Ball
PG13
Ingram
Kuzma
Randle

KCP is a bench player. He could be used to slow downan offensive wing that has gotten hot.

Whoa there Reggie Miller
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Sorry if this was already posted:

Excellent statistical and video analysis of Lonzo's defense:
https://nbamath.com/the-numbers-dont-lie-lonzo-ball-is-a-good-nba-defender/
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

I have some thoughts on Lonzo but I feel like it's too early to come to any conclusions, so I'm going to sit tight through December and see how he's playing. I like how he can fill up the stat sheet everywhere and how he recovers on defense.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Sweet.
Any stats on how many buckets he gives up?

I admittedly never watched him in college, but his defense didn’t look bad to me at all in summer league.

We have to be careful the time we don’t fall victim to stereotyping. Just because he’s a short, slow footed, white, pure shooter, doesn’t automatically mean he’s a bad defender.

I haven’t seen any evidence that he isn’t any worse of a defender than Blue or Clarkson.

He actually looked tough as nails on defense to me — reminded me of Fisher, Harpring, or Majerle in terms of toughness.

C'mon man. Victim to stereotyping? Like you said he's short and slow footed. I don't care what his skin color is. I was yelling at his defense in SL.
I'm sure his shot making made things acceptable.
Is his defense worse than JC or Blue?

Looked like it to me.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

The point is that Blue and Ennis offer literally nothing of value to the team, whereas Thomas can at least do one thing well - and that thing is the thing this team needs the most.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
The point is that Blue and Ennis offer literally nothing of value to the team, whereas Thomas can at least do one thing well - and that thing is the thing this team needs the most.

AGREE

Kuzminkas would be a nice start to get a shooter.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

That's true.
But Ennis gets 5.6 mpg and plays point, which is a trait Matt can't provide.
And Blue is playing mostly in the G League.

Sure we can compare Matt to Ennis and Blue.
But isn't the real question, would Matt get minutes over JC, Hart, Brewer?
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Let's see now: best rookie PG rebounder since Magic, dishes out assists at a terrific clip for a rookie (would have more assists if guys made shots), and he's a better defender than anyone expected at this early stage. When the kid becomes just a 40% shooter, he's going to be a handful.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

All the other rookie guards drafted in the lottery this year are shooting poorly too. Last I looked, Mitchell, Smith Jr., Fox, Ntilikina, Fultz were all in the bottom 30 in the league in TS%. Lonzo is the worst except for Fultz, but it's not like he's the only rookie struggling. He's trending upward now that he's cut down on the 3's a bit.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
All the other rookie guards drafted in the lottery this year are shooting poorly too. Last I looked, Mitchell, Smith Jr., Fox, Ntilikina, Fultz were all in the bottom 30 in the league in TS%. Lonzo is the worst except for Fultz, but it's not like he's the only rookie struggling. He's trending upward now that he's cut down on the 3's a bit.

Being a rookie PG is hard.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

That's true.
But Ennis gets 5.6 mpg and plays point, which is a trait Matt can't provide.
And Blue is playing mostly in the G League.

Sure we can compare Matt to Ennis and Blue.
But isn't the real question, would Matt get minutes over JC, Hart, Brewer?

Just for end of quarter situations, he could be a great piece.
Like a Paxson or Kerr.
That is assuming he cannot play defense at all.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Let's see now: best rookie PG rebounder since Magic, dishes out assists at a terrific clip for a rookie (would have more assists if guys made shots), and he's a better defender than anyone expected at this early stage. When the kid becomes just a 40% shooter, he's going to be a handful.

Lonzo was 0.412 3P% in college.
Hard to believe he would not shoot 40% (not 3P%) when he adjusts to the game.
If and when he does, you are talking a top PG.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I think its more than defense....from what I watched, he was a skilled shooter....but only a skilled shooter. I did not see really anything else he could do except make catch and shoot 3's....and as much as that sounds good, even great shooters have to have other skills to survive in the NBA.

When OKC was desperate for shooting...they had Anthony Morrow on the bench who was shooting over 40% from 3....but they still could barely put him on the court because he was a weakness in every other element of the game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

Fultz played 3 or 4 games with a hurt shoulder and never shot outside 3 feet in those game....makes no sense to include him in any comparison.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

Listening to the recent episode of Sam Vecenie's Game Theory podcast, and he had Cole Zwicker on....they spoke a decent amount about Ball's struggles. They had him @ the 4th and 5th best prospect going into the draft....they both agreed they would keep him at that spot....or maybe drop him one spot even after seeing his shooting struggles.

They also discussed what type of player to pair with Ball....his solid off ball defense and his poor on ball / point of attack defense.

Game Theory Podcast
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 710, 711, 712 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 711 of 1688
Jump to: