OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1032, 1033, 1034 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
I had a conversation with some random Warriors fan I delivered food to through door dash and we somehow ended up talking about basketball and he was like "Lakers wasted a year tanking for Lonzo, good thing Kuzma saved y'all".

It's crazy how no one realizes how impactful Lonzo is even with his broke ass shot, people legit act like he some scrub based on his shooting numbers. Dude was a top 5 rookie in terms of impact IMO.

some on LG would be shocked to know there are probably a few people that I communicate with in real life that may consider me a Lonzo apologist! In my experience, most non-Laker casual fans have a very low opinion of Ball.

You need better casual fans.

A good number of hard core fans feel the same way, of all our young players he is probably the one many would trade. He plays with an aloofness, he shows little enthusiasm, he walked away from his teammates in a scuffle and has one of the uglier shots in the game. And that doesn’t include the family dynamics. I enjoy the positives he brings but he is criticized here and even more on other sites. He will never be a fan favorite and the idea that he will be an all star is far fetched. He doesn’t have the personality to be a popular player.

Ball plays hard on both ends. The Lonzo is aloof on the court narrative is complete bs.

Yeah that negative Nancy stuff VLF just spit is nothing more than that...

But aloofness is maybe the wrong word... he just lacks that killer instinct that the greats have and coming off our 20 years for Kobe and to a lesser extent Shaq, that's a quality we expect. (fair or not). Kuzma has it. Tatum has it. Mitchell has it. Lonzo has now shown it. Not saying Lonzo is scared of the moment, but I wish he would be willing to "go at people" more than he does.

The way Patrick Beverly plays with that level of intensity and "nasty", I hope Lonzo starts to bring tot he table.

But VLF's comments are pretty extreme and absurd. He may not be popular with people over 20, but he and (BBB) are adored by young fans.

There are a lot of players that are aloof or just have bad personalities, Tim Duncan is the prime example. From what I could tell, he had very little to no “nastiness” about him, wasn’t much of a leader and didn’t have any personality. He just went out there and did his job and he’s one of the greats.

These things about being “aloof” and that being his weakness is just an argument used by people who just don’t like him...it’s weak. Not every player needs to be Westbrook or Kobe to be good. He’s worked hard enough and is talented enough to be in the NBA, he’s done at much if not more regarding his craft as any of us here. Sorry if he’s not someone else...I’d much rather have someone with no personality then a bad one (Booker, DLO, Draymond...ect).

I’m sure if he had that “intensity” people wouldn’t like him because of some other reason, haters will hate.

Who was hating? I'm speaking my personal thoughts... if you disagree go for. We all have different barometers to which we measure our interest in an athlete. I probably appreciate things you don't and vice versa.

I don’t really disagree with you,, was speaking about VLF...”a good number of hardcore fans”....lol, ok bro.

Wasn’t directed at your comments, sorry if it came off that way
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
I'm high on Zo, but it's to be expected that casual fans would have a low opinion on him: (i) he can't score, (ii) he can't shoot, (iii) he misses games, (iv) other rookies were phenomenal, and (v) he had little to no impact (again, from a casual observers perspective) on our barely improved W-L record.

Zo will prove himself in the long run. But if you're short-sighted, box-score watch (imagine how frustrating it would be if, instead of watching highlights or the game, every night you looked at the box score and saw a Lakers L with Zo putting up some 8/4/7 line on 3/10, 1-6, 1-2 - a night that [basically] happened far too often), and bought into the hype . . . well, (bleep) Zo from that perspective.

i know this guy who loves to comment about Lonzo's quality of play. Yet, all he does is rehash some headlines he heard on sports talk radio or some title of an article. Yet he has never seen lonzo play a game.

he pretty much hates lonzo because of lavar, and when i called him out on it, he went into his shell.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the class of fan that only listens to sports radio - good add
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
I can't wait for a 4th year Lonzo Ball. I'd be a huge fan of him regardless of the team he plays for.

Good to hear. I started on the fence with Lonzo and have convinced
myself to give it more time; today he projects to be so-so, in
my eyes but I’d love to be wrong. I hate slackers and he looks like one,
even if he’s not. Again, I’d love to be wrong.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Are there any updates on Lonzos offseason workouts? Cant remember seeing anything and he has so much to improve on.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Are there any updates on Lonzos offseason workouts? Cant remember seeing anything and he has so much to improve on.

LFR said something along the lines of him working twice a day. Lifting in the morning and then basketball skill work in the afternoon.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Endless3D wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

LFR said something along the lines of him working twice a day. Lifting in the morning and then basketball skill work in the afternoon.

Oh thats awesome. Wish they would put something out on it. So many people think he’s just working on his rap album or doing brand related stuff.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

He's not working out. He's making a response video to Kyle Kuzma
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

He's not working out. He's making a response video to Kyle Kuzma

Ha. Well I hope he does a better one than kuz did
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:

There are a lot of players that are aloof or just have bad personalities, Tim Duncan is the prime example. From what I could tell, he had very little to no “nastiness” about him, wasn’t much of a leader and didn’t have any personality. He just went out there and did his job and he’s one of the greats.

These things about being “aloof” and that being his weakness is just an argument used by people who just don’t like him...it’s weak. Not every player needs to be Westbrook or Kobe to be good. He’s worked hard enough and is talented enough to be in the NBA, he’s done at much if not more regarding his craft as any of us here. Sorry if he’s not someone else...I’d much rather have someone with no personality then a bad one (Booker, DLO, Draymond...ect).

I’m sure if he had that “intensity” people wouldn’t like him because of some other reason, haters will hate.

Duncan was a unique case. He did not have an obvious alpha dog aggressiveness to him. However, although TD was quiet, he did not shrink against challenges from aggressive guys that tried to punk him, as shown by his head to head wars against guys like Shaq and KG. I really hope to see this kind of subtle toughness from Zo in the future.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

His music tour is about to start soon
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
I had a conversation with some random Warriors fan I delivered food to through door dash and we somehow ended up talking about basketball and he was like "Lakers wasted a year tanking for Lonzo, good thing Kuzma saved y'all".

It's crazy how no one realizes how impactful Lonzo is even with his broke ass shot, people legit act like he some scrub based on his shooting numbers. Dude was a top 5 rookie in terms of impact IMO.

some on LG would be shocked to know there are probably a few people that I communicate with in real life that may consider me a Lonzo apologist! In my experience, most non-Laker casual fans have a very low opinion of Ball.

A good number of hard core fans feel the same way, of all our young players he is probably the one many would trade. He plays with an aloofness, he shows little enthusiasm, he walked away from his teammates in a scuffle and has one of the uglier shots in the game. And that doesn’t include the family dynamics. I enjoy the positives he brings but he is criticized here and even more on other sites. He will never be a fan favorite and the idea that he will be an all star is far fetched. He doesn’t have the personality to be a popular player.

Ball plays hard on both ends. The Lonzo is aloof on the court narrative is complete bs.

But aloofness is maybe the wrong word... he just lacks that killer instinct that the greats have and coming off our 20 years for Kobe and to a lesser extent Shaq, that's a quality we expect. (fair or not). Kuzma has it. Tatum has it. Mitchell has it. Lonzo has now shown it. Not saying Lonzo is scared of the moment, but I wish he would be willing to "go at people" more than he does.

The way Patrick Beverly plays with that level of intensity and "nasty", I hope Lonzo starts to bring tot he table.

But VLF's comments are pretty extreme and absurd. He may not be popular with people over 20, but he and (BBB) are adored by young fans.

Duncan is one who comes to mind and he might be my favorite player the past 20 years. Maybe low key is a better descriptor than aloof.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Duncan is one who comes to mind and he might be my favorite player the past 20 years. Maybe low key is a better descriptor than aloof.

At times, Ball looked uninterested. I can see why that would rub some people the wrong way. But not every player is as charismatic on the court as Magic, Kobe, or Lebron. I’ll judge Ball by his production. Still, I know some people want more of a showman.

We’ll see how Ball develops as he becomes more confident. But I don’t expect him to start displaying a fiery persona. I just don’t think that’s who he is. He needs to produce, and we’ll find someone else to pump up the crowd.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
I’d much rather have someone with no personality then a bad one (Booker, DLO, Draymond...ect).

Zo's got personality, he just tries to play without emotion/keep a level head.

His Equalizer commercial is hilarious.

"They kinda hot... they hot"

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
On Sunday, Zo popped up during Game 2 on ABC as part of a campaign promoting “The Equalizer 2.” In the ad, Ball not only auditions for Denzel Washington’s part in the sequel, but shows up with boxes upon boxes of clothing. “We’re going to need some merch for the movie. My family is like the king of the merch game,” Lonzo quips, in a clear nod to the Big Baller Brand. 5 hours ago – via Lonzo Wire
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

LG acceptable shooting percentages for year 2:

Code:

| FG%  | 3PT% | FT%  | User
----------------------------------
| 0.36 | 0.30 | 0.45 | Last year
----------------------------------
| 0.50 | 0.40 | 0.90 | tox*
| 0.44 | 0.36 | ---- | epak
| ---- | 0.35 | 0.65 | BigGameHames
| 0.42 | 0.37 | ---- | RCS926
| 0.40 | 0.35 | ---- | LoyalLaker
| 0.45 | 0.35 | 0.70 | defense
| Just yam on a dude | Baron Von Humongous
| 0.42 | 0.33 | 0.60 | LakerSanity
| 0.40 | 0.35 | 0.60 | Fortysixn2
| 0.41 | 0.35 | 0.70 | OC Lakerfan
| 0.49 | 0.37 | 0.70 | scooterp10

FG: 40 40 41 42 42 44 45 49
3PT: 33 35 35 35 35 35 36 37 37
FT: 60 60 65 70 70 70

Median: 0.42 FG%, 0.35 3PT%, 0.675 FT% (without tox's numbers)
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Ball is aloof? Huh, I don't see that at all. I think people are projecting their own feelings on him
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Endless3D wrote:

Duncan > Kobe for you? Sure you are in the right place?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Ball is aloof? Huh, I don't see that at all. I think people are projecting their own feelings on him

I mean, we're told that his teammate love him. So something doesn't add up.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

He just isn't demonstrative enough for some people. I like his style.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
I’d much rather have someone with no personality then a bad one (Booker, DLO, Draymond...ect).

yeah, he did well with the commercial
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

lol
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Duncan also had 4 years at Wake Forest to mature before he got to San Antonio. Lonzo is a kid, starting PG for the Lakers and being judged under the LA spotlight. By itself that’s a lot for anyone to have to deal with, then you throw in Lavar, there is just no comparison. People change so much between 18 and 28 and hopefully Lonzo is strong enough to handle it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Duncan > Kobe for you? Sure you are in the right place?

off topic, but this bs line has became popular recently...and while Duncan is an all time legend....he is not nor was he ever Kobe Bryant. I have a hard time tolerating these people....a while back Nate Duncan claimed Dirk was a greater player than Kobe....idiotic.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

The worst content is Bill Simmons-ish clickbait listicles. The easiest way to drive sports fan outrage is a player ranking.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Better actor than Kobe was at his age?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1032, 1033, 1034 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1033 of 1688
Jump to: