OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1115, 1116, 1117 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:
Mike Bresnahan
@Mike_Bresnahan

Lakers announce that Lonzo Ball had successful arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. A specific timetable was not released but he is expected to make a full recovery by the start of training camp, Lakers say.

Found this comment on Bleacher Report.

Quote:
Joe Claspell
Can we stop reporting that surguries are a "success"? At this point, it should only be news when a Dr. says I think I made it worse, actually

Yea. I'm sure if someone was having heart surgery, his loved ones don't need to hear that the surgery was a success.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:
Mike Bresnahan
@Mike_Bresnahan

Lakers announce that Lonzo Ball had successful arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. A specific timetable was not released but he is expected to make a full recovery by the start of training camp, Lakers say.

Quote:
Joe Claspell
Can we stop reporting that surguries are a "success"? At this point, it should only be news when a Dr. says I think I made it worse, actually

Typical comment in this entitled world. Yes surgeries are easy and I expect it to be perfect or I’m going to sue.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:
Mike Bresnahan
@Mike_Bresnahan

Quote:
Joe Claspell

Typical comment in this entitled world. Yes surgeries are easy and I expect it to be perfect or I’m going to sue.

Yeah, In this time, people will complain why a selfie with the doctor & nurses is not included!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter

Rob Pelinka added this on the @SpectrumSN broadcast last night: “I was with Lonzo today, he had a very successful scope on his knee. We’re really excited to have that behind us and he’s in a great space."
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:

Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter

Rob Pelinka added this on the @SpectrumSN broadcast last night: “I was with Lonzo today, he had a very successful scope on his knee. We’re really excited to have that behind us and he’s in a great space."

I hope he's in a great space mentally the next time he has to shoot some free throws in a game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

cool interactive graphic for both Lonzo lovers and haters....

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/07/18/lakers-sign-nba-summer-league-invite-joel-berry-ii/

it is mid-page and shows Lonzo's effect on the Offense and Defense last year....the haters can point out how the offense slightly improved with Lonzo on the bench....or got worse when he was on the court.....while the lovers will point out the drastic improvement on defense with him on the court....and the cliff it falls off of while he was on the bench.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/07/18/lakers-sign-nba-summer-league-invite-joel-berry-ii/

it is mid-page and shows Lonzo's effect on the Offense and Defense last year....the haters can point out how the offense slightly improved with Lonzo on the bench....or got worse when he was on the court.....while the lovers will point out the drastic improvement on defense with him on the court....and the cliff it falls off of while he was on the bench.

What surprises me is that a guy with a .444 TS% doesn't hurt the team more than a point per 100 possessions on offense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

What surprises me is that a guy with a .444 TS% doesn't hurt the team more than a point per 100 possessions on offense.

exhibit A: the "lovers" response.

fwiw....I think watching that massive climb/fall the little graphic does as it moves up and down on defense depending on if Ball was on the court or off is the biggest wow factor for anyone not knowing the numbers...or even knowing the numbers.....but actually seeing how far it moves up and down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

exhibit A: the "lovers" response.

fwiw....I think watching that massive climb/fall the little graphic does as it moves up and down on defense depending on if Ball was on the court or off is the biggest wow factor for anyone not knowing the numbers...or even knowing the numbers.....but actually seeing how far it moves up and down.

If you think he'll become a relatively adequate shooter in time - say around .53 TS% - even without developing as an iso or PnR scorer, I think you have to recognize his overall value as a borderline star/star role player because his defense and passing add so much value.

And if he can improve his handle and add a few reliable iso scoring moves, he could become elite. But I'll settle for hitting 60% of his FTs for now.
myunibrodavis
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

isolating to after the new year, lonzo improved the team by 2.8 points per possession on offense with him on the floor

that improvement, for players with over 200 minutes in that span, is behind only KCP, randle, and thomas
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

myunibrodavis wrote:
adkindo wrote:

isolating to after the new year, lonzo improved the team by 2.8 points per possession on offense with him on the floor

that improvement, for players with over 200 minutes in that span, is behind only KCP, randle, and thomas

Exhibit B
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

myunibrodavis wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That's fascinating, and it jives with what I believe I saw from Jacob Goldstein whose PIPM data had Lonzo providing top-15 player impact during his good shooting streak that occurred mostly in January and February (as well as late December and early March). Obviously a lot of that impact comes on defense, but on offense when he's hitting his threes, he's a legit positive player on that end (+2.8) as you note. And that's still without getting to the line or hitting his FTs.

Anyway, thank you for the info. Are you pulling it from NBA stats?

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
myunibrodavis wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Exhibit B

Is this Hero Ball's Eric Jr. account?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

myunibrodavis wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That's fascinating, and it jives with what I believe I saw from Jacob Goldstein whose PIPM data had Lonzo providing top-15 player impact during his good shooting streak that occurred mostly in January and February (as well as late December and early March). Obviously a lot of that impact comes on defense, but on offense when he's hitting his threes, he's a legit positive player on that end (+2.8) as you note. And that's still without getting to the line or hitting his FTs.

Abyway, thank you for the info. Are you pulling it from NBA stats?

Lonzo is that guy who can fit with any other star player and shine without taking anything away from other star players game. In fact, he will likely add to thier games by giving them a few easy buckets a game.

Personally I think it’s crazy that he is always involved in trade rumors. I think he’s the Tim Duncan of our franchise. A player you can just keep building around over and over again for the next 15 years and stay contending. Easy to build around.
myunibrodavis
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

myunibrodavis wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Anyway, thank you for the info. Are you pulling it from NBA stats?

yeah. in that span of time lonzo shot 47TS btw.

his playmaking ability in the half court offense improved in that time (making reads and such through experience cuz he wasn't so accustomed to the nuances p and r game in ucla)

the span of time idt was big enough for it to be indicative of his impact, but his already a potentially very high impact player and having rondo and lebron to tutor him in the half court offense can only help

lonzo has an innate gift of non ball dominant playmaking which is extremely effective. i'm hoping rondos and lebron influence doesent turn him into more of a ball stopper playmaker because that would really cut a lot of his offensive potential.

he essentially became a fair positive on offense in the second half of the season, despite arguably being the worst, least efficient scorer in the league.

his shot selection makes it so that if he gets stronger and becomes better at 3s he could be an efficient scorer at some point. if he keeps improving his halfcourt offense with reps and continues to improve his scoring and shooting while not losing anything in defense, he could potentially be the best of the young core, because he has an innate bball iq both on ball and off ball his other teammates lack
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject:

are his impressive defensive # and better than expected offensive stats impacted by the lack of a decent back up? essentially they are comparing when ennis was on the floor vs ball right?
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject:

Nope.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:

Nope.

What?
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
PauPau wrote:

Nope.

What?

No idea where that came from also, you've obviously been missed.
myunibrodavis
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
are his impressive defensive # and better than expected offensive stats impacted by the lack of a decent back up? essentially they are comparing when ennis was on the floor vs ball right?

Ennis has fairly solid on court defensive rtg so that definitely isn’t the reason

The offensive numbers might make sense but his on court rtg was still among the highest for players who played significant minutes in that span

His defensive numbers actually aren’t as impressive as they should be because he spent time with isaiah in the latter half of the year, and Isaiah is an all time bad defender
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PauPau wrote:

Nope.

What?

This exchange isn't suspicious at all...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

This is a great quote from Brett Brown on rookies and NBA defense:
link

I think that bodes well for the future of last year's rookies like Simmons, Tatum, Mitchell, and Lonzo on defense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PauPau wrote:

Nope.

What?

Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PauPau wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PauPau wrote:

Nope.

What?

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1115, 1116, 1117 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1116 of 1688
Jump to: