OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1680, 1681, 1682 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Yeah I wish we have gave up Kuz and Kept Ball .

I don't think NO wanted Kuz. They wanted Ball and BI, especially BI.

This article says otherwise: Pelicans Covet Kuzma the Most
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
MJST wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

He's definitely what we're missing from the point guard position.

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I love that on a night in which he can't shoot for (bleep) that he has 13 assists and is second on the team in +/- (1st aming starters).

Yeah, Lonzo is always contributing, whether he's on offensively or not, and that's not easy to find in young players, especially young players as dedicated to defense as him.

Tbh if he was not dedicated to defense, he would be playing in China or Europe in 5 years, considering the current limitations in his offensive games.

Defense today is a premium. Lonzo's offense is improving. He's altered his shot and will get better offensively. Offense isn't only shooting. He's good at setting up his teammates. He's only 22.

He's 22 and may improve but you don't stay in the League for a long time if you are a guard with Lonzo's shootin % unless at least you committ at defending

He's gone from 36 to 39% in three years. He's improving. He ast around 7 per game. He's not a Laker anymore but I want any Laker even ex's to succeed as long as they don't do it against us.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
MJST wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

I love that on a night in which he can't shoot for (bleep) that he has 13 assists and is second on the team in +/- (1st aming starters).

Yeah, Lonzo is always contributing, whether he's on offensively or not, and that's not easy to find in young players, especially young players as dedicated to defense as him.

Tbh if he was not dedicated to defense, he would be playing in China or Europe in 5 years, considering the current limitations in his offensive games.

Defense today is a premium. Lonzo's offense is improving. He's altered his shot and will get better offensively. Offense isn't only shooting. He's good at setting up his teammates. He's only 22.

He's 22 and may improve but you don't stay in the League for a long time if you are a guard with Lonzo's shootin % unless at least you committ at defending

He's gone from 36 to 39% in three years. He's improving. He ast around 7 per game. He's not a Laker anymore but I want any Laker even ex's to succeed as long as they don't do it against us.

His 3pt percentage has gotten better while shooting more, which is awesome. His mentality seems to be shifting toward being more aggressive, which a lot of people said was his biggest weakness.

He is improving, and you can say he is improving mentally as well.

I'm glad that some of us have patience with young players, and the appropriate sensibilities about them. They deserve it, and it sometimes works out. It looks like its working out for our boy Ball, here. At least currently.

Pelicans have been playing well too. 9-3 in december and they have the easiest strength of schedule left, apparently. Getting Zion back next week and they may end up in the playoffs by season's end.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
MJST wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Its not just his defense that makes him wirth a spot, his passing is key.

His shooting will get better.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

18/11(Assists)/10 vs Clippers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Didn't know that. I had the wrong information. In that case the Lakers made a boo boo. It looked like Kyle was the better player, turns out Brandon is.

The problem was Kyle's contract. It's still a problem trying to trade him for a better player. Matching salaries is in the way. They would have to add 1 or more players to match the salary of a quality player.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Didn't know that. I had the wrong information. In that case the Lakers made a boo boo. It looked like Kyle was the better player, turns out Brandon is.

The problem was Kyle's contract. It's still a problem trying to trade him for a better player. Matching salaries is in the way. They would have to add 1 or more players to match the salary of a quality player.

After stating Kuzma was the most coveted player, the article goes on to discuss contracts. Makes me think this "preference" was only media speculation due to BI's deep venous thrombosis, and Kuzma being on the USA roster (Turner and Ganguli never mentioned their source, or if there even was one). It's now public knowledge that Ingram's health problems stemmed exclusively from improper training methods. Ingram was younger, and coming off a better season...don't know how Kuzma would be preferred.

If this article's suggestion IS true, then both FOs may as well hire Shaq as the director of scouting. Perhaps the article referred to Dell Demps' wish list? It's possible he wanted Kuz as the starting 4, as Zion wasn't expected to be in New Orleans last February (Pelicans were only a handful of games under .500).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

He's going to get so many easy assists next to Zion.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Helluva debut for Zion. Wow. 22/7/3 in 18 minutes...4-4 from 3. Damn, I really hope this kid gets his diet, weight under control so he can be around for the next 15 years.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

Most exciting game for me this year ( After a 40+ year obsession with the Lakers I haven't watched them much this year. Can't stand Lebron). Zo had another solid game and that Zion scoring run had me acting a fool.
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

Ball is getting better better every game. Hope he doesnt get injury anymore.

Wish he didnt get trade....
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Most exciting game for me this year ( After a 40+ year obsession with the Lakers I haven't watched them much this year. Can't stand Lebron). Zo had another solid game and that Zion scoring run had me acting a fool.

I'm right there with ya. It's just so hard for me to root for LeBron. I love my Lakers though.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

Zo and Zion what a duo this is going to be. Can't wait. Good for New Orleans.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

15 assists today. A good chunk to Zion. Hard to feel good today, but watching the Pelicans beat the crap out of the Celtics made me smile a little. You know Kobe would appreciate a good Celtic beat down as much as anyone.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's in the perfect situation right now, being the lead guard on the Lakers is just too much pressure for a young guy with good attributes but needing a lot of polish in a lot of areas.

He is fun to watch right now, the shot looks better, the body looks stronger leading to better finishing around the basket, and Zion is the ideal target for him to throw lobs to. Still a long way away from becoming the all-star/franchise player we hoped he would be, but he is making an impact,
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

Pressure wasn't the problem with Lonzo. Some people had already decided to write the book on him after his 2nd season, and others just wanted him to fail because they disliked his dad.

He showed his moments of brilliance as he was developing, and he continues to show and evolve that as he's on New Orleans.

Like with Russell, Lonzo didn't just start showing this ability when he left the Lakers, he was showing it on the Lakers, some people just refused to see it till he was in another jersey.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject:

I think he is a long term answer for the Pels, next to Zion.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

After stating Kuzma was the most coveted player, the article goes on to discuss contracts. Makes me think this "preference" was only media speculation due to BI's deep venous thrombosis, and Kuzma being on the USA roster (Turner and Ganguli never mentioned their source, or if there even was one). It's now public knowledge that Ingram's health problems stemmed exclusively from improper training methods. Ingram was younger, and coming off a better season...don't know how Kuzma would be preferred.

If this article's suggestion IS true, then both FOs may as well hire Shaq as the director of scouting. Perhaps the article referred to Dell Demps' wish list? It's possible he wanted Kuz as the starting 4, as Zion wasn't expected to be in New Orleans last February (Pelicans were only a handful of games under .500).

To be honest a lot of people rated Kuz the highest of our young guys back then. It wasn’t just Shaq, it was our entire front office, sports radio, Steven A Smith etc even Sherman had something to say

https://twitter.com/slenderman_bi/status/1224176573500125184?s=21
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

You know what they say, hype sells.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

To be honest a lot of people rated Kuz the highest of our young guys back then. It wasn’t just Shaq, it was our entire front office, sports radio, Steven A Smith etc even Sherman had something to say

https://twitter.com/slenderman_bi/status/1224176573500125184?s=21

And we should have taken full advantage of that and sold high and kept the pieces everyone was underrating. But the Lakers kept Kuz cause he was cheap, not cause they thought he had a higher upside.

And this season after, BI makes his first all-star team and Lonzo seems to start coming into his own a bit. I'm happy for them both.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject:

Such a limited scorer. There's a good chance he never shoots a decent % from the field. 40% from the field isn't asking much. And he has the athleticism to get to the line. But because he's such a poor FT shooter, he doesn't attack defenders near the basket.

I appreciate what he does well, but his limitations are frustrating to watch sometimes.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Such a limited scorer. There's a good chance he never shoots a decent % from the field. 40% from the field isn't asking much. And he has the athleticism to get to the line. But because he's such a poor FT shooter, he doesn't attack defenders near the basket.

I appreciate what he does well, but his limitations are frustrating to watch sometimes.
So his jumper hasn't improved at all? FTs too? It is frustrating even on another team. His gifts are so fun (when he uses them) that his weaknesses look even more glaring in relief.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
kikanga wrote:

So his jumper hasn't improved at all? FTs too? It is frustrating even on another team. His gifts are so fun (when he uses them) that his weaknesses look even more glaring in relief.

39% from the field. 56% from the line. That's actually an improvement. He used to be low 40%s from the line. But he averages 1 FT a game.
There's passing to get your teammates involved and then there's passing because your uncomfortable trying to score.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
focus wrote:
kikanga wrote:

39% from the field. 56% from the line. That's actually an improvement. He used to be low 40%s from the line. But he averages 1 FT a game.
There's passing to get your teammates involved and then there's passing because your uncomfortable trying to score.

Yep. He has advanced a step, but he still hasn't made the leap that will be necessary to make him a legitimately good player. It is not clear that he will ever be a good enough offensive player to have value in the current era of the NBA. He still has time, though. From what I've seen, his defense has gotten better than it was early in the season. Perhaps most importantly, he has stayed healthy so far.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
focus wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yep. He has advanced a step, but he still hasn't made the leap that will be necessary to make him a legitimately good player. It is not clear that he will ever be a good enough offensive player to have value in the current era of the NBA. He still has time, though. From what I've seen, his defense has gotten better than it was early in the season. Perhaps most importantly, he has stayed healthy so far.

He's 14/8/8 and shooting 39% from deep in his last 20. Man he'd be nice on this squad...

REALLY hoping he doesn't get hurt and gets derailed again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1680, 1681, 1682 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1681 of 1688
Jump to: