OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

The thing about lonzo, that I didn't like at first but now realize it's key to his up tempo style, is that he passes it away really fast. Normal guards dribble it up, let the offense and defense set up, starts the offense and ho hum let's see what happens. With Lonzo he gets the inbounds and will pass it within a couple seconds. Even if it doesn't lead to a basket or even a shot, the fact is he is pushing it on every possession and the Lakers are now playing at a faster pace and increasing scoring chances. He is directly or indirectly responsible for every point the Lakers score
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Some dude who is involved in AAU called into the morning show on espn710. He said Lonzo folds when he's challenged physically and verbally, chirping etc. He said Fox is in his head, calls him "Kevin Garnett in a guard's body." I think he means that Fox talks a lot. He went on to say Fox or DSJ would win rookie of the year. Also said that the lakers should get one more vet to help Lonzo when the NBA guys start chirping him and physically challenging him.

He also said Ingram is going to be good but that he was a late bloomer (11th grade) and he will just basically be a 16 and 8 guy with good defense.

Which one of you called in? j/k

DSJ looks like a guy who does his fair share of talking and that didn't seem to bother Lonzo yesterday.

Growing up with Lavar, he's grown immune to all that flapping of the gums.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Man I don't wanna hear another work about Fox, dude got ate up by Caruso
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If you're a big time scorer, you're going to want to play with this kid. He won't monopolize the ball and he'll get you easy buckets. I could imagine PG13 for example having a great scoring year with Lonzo facilitating. Takes a lot of the hard work out of having to ISO your way into scoring.

One of my favorite things he does is that he notices when he has a guy on the wing running up court who's defender is below the free throw line. He immediately gets the ball to that guy on the move, and it forces the defender to close out, making it easier for the wing to get by him. And if the defender doesn't close out it's an in rhythm 3. It basically turns what should be a half court set in to effectively a semi-transition situation, and makes it whole hell of a lot easier for the wing than if their defender was set.

He does that what seems like almost every other possession for guys like Vander Blue and Matt Thomas. Imagine him doing it for BI and KCP, and hopefully PG eventually.

And he's relentless with that pressure, which is going to crack all but the most disciplined defenses. Put more talented scorers around him like PG13, as you note, and all of a sudden you get even the Warriors scrambling and discombobulated trying to slow down the semi-transition assault.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

One interesting storyline this coming season will be seeing Lonzo's unselfish style of ball contrasted with the ball-dominant style of Westbrook. Even though Westbrook piles up assists, his style may be far less appealing for PG13 than Lonzo's low usage rate.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
One interesting storyline this coming season will be seeing Lonzo's unselfish style of ball contrasted with the ball-dominant style of Westbrook. Even though Westbrook piles up assists, his style may be far less appealing for PG13 than Lonzo's low usage rate.

The Thunder were one of the worst passing teams in the league despite Westbrook's career year.

Westbrook passes to get assists for himself. Lonzo passes to get others to score. There is a difference.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

My apologies if this was already posted:
Quote:

The Good and Bad of Lonzo Ball

“[Ball is] already one of the best passers I’ve seen at this level. [Those are] kind of big words, but he can really pass the ball,” Lakers summer league head coach Jud Buechler said last week. “He just gets the ball, looks up, and has that incredible natural ability to put that ball right on the money.” Buechler’s words are big, but they’re not an overreaction. Call it hyperbole or say “it’s only summer league” if you’d like, but Ball is one of the best pure passers I’ve ever seen. His court awareness, recognition, and accuracy on everything from outlet to entry to swing passes is surreal. As is the fact that he almost always puts the right amount of velocity on his passes. We’ll never have a league filled with transcendent passers, but I guess it’s their rarity, like precious metals, that makes them so special.

That doesn’t absolve him from what he hasn’t shown, though. Anyone who watched Ball at UCLA or Chino Hills knows the type of passer he is. But in the NBA, more goes into passing than just the lone act of delivering the ball to another player. As a point guard, Ball’s weaknesses on offense have been on full display as much as his prominent strength. He has not shown the ability to use his dribble to manipulate the defense. He’s struggled to create in the half court. His shot has not fallen. If you’re a Ball stan, you’re now saying “it’s only summer league,” and you’re right. But there are endless examples this summer of Ball struggling to create space off the dribble against a set defense; [...]

Caris LeVert and Spencer Dinwiddie are not high-level defenders, but they bottled Ball up. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson looked more like DeAndre Jordan deterring Ball at the rim. Ball’s weak handle is nothing new, but it would’ve been nice to see some progress since the end of the college season. As of Sunday morning, he’s scoring just 0.66 points per possession in the half court in summer league play, per Synergy. We’re talking about small samples here, so don’t panic too much. The list of guards drafted in the first round to log at least 60 possessions and score around the same efficiency in the summer league includes: John Wall, D’Angelo Russell, Dion Waiters, and Dennis Schröder.

But for Ball’s passing ability to carry as much gravity as it has the potential to, he’ll have to become a more reliable scorer and improve both his handle and first step. Ball is at his best in transition. He’ll always be a stud in the open floor, where he has the space to fully leverage his unpredictability. Does he see a pass the defender can’t? Does he pull up from 30 feet? Does he weasel his way to the rim? But there will come a time that Ball will need to create against a set defense, and right now he’s nowhere close to ready. For Ball to elevate his play, he’ll need to prove he can create in the half court against an NBA defense.

It’d help Ball’s cause if his shot started falling. Through Sunday, he missed 38 of 50 jumpers, per data derived from Synergy. Lonzo’s dreadful percentage could just be bad luck on a small sample size. If summer league lasted longer, maybe he’d make 38 of his next 50. But it’s also possible, as detailed in March, that he’s simply had trouble finding comfort releasing his shot using his quirky mechanics against NBA-caliber defenders. Or it’s possible that he’s slow to adjust to the Spalding ball (at UCLA, Ball shot noticeably better using Wilson balls than he did other brands like Nike or Adidas).

Someday we might look back and chuckle at the micro-analysis of Ball’s game, but a prospect like him is deserving of it. I’ve never been more fascinated by a player. From the offbeat shooting mechanics to his outspoken father, Ball holds our attention. Las Vegas had its best summer league attendance ever this year. Ball not only makes his teammates better with his slick passing, but he’s raised interest in the league as a whole for us fans in the crowd and watching from home.

Link: Six Takeaways from the 2017 NBA Summer League

Note: this comes from not-so-closet Celtics homer, Kevin O'Connor, but an interesting read nonetheless.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Quote:

“[Ball is] already one of the best passers I’ve seen at this level. [Those are] kind of big words, but he can really pass the ball,” Lakers summer league head coach Jud Buechler said last week. “He just gets the ball, looks up, and has that incredible natural ability to put that ball right on the money.” Buechler’s words are big, but they’re not an overreaction. Call it hyperbole or say “it’s only summer league” if you’d like, but Ball is one of the best pure passers I’ve ever seen. His court awareness, recognition, and accuracy on everything from outlet to entry to swing passes is surreal. As is the fact that he almost always puts the right amount of velocity on his passes. We’ll never have a league filled with transcendent passers, but I guess it’s their rarity, like precious metals, that makes them so special.

That doesn’t absolve him from what he hasn’t shown, though. Anyone who watched Ball at UCLA or Chino Hills knows the type of passer he is. But in the NBA, more goes into passing than just the lone act of delivering the ball to another player. As a point guard, Ball’s weaknesses on offense have been on full display as much as his prominent strength. He has not shown the ability to use his dribble to manipulate the defense. He’s struggled to create in the half court. His shot has not fallen. If you’re a Ball stan, you’re now saying “it’s only summer league,” and you’re right. But there are endless examples this summer of Ball struggling to create space off the dribble against a set defense; [...]

Caris LeVert and Spencer Dinwiddie are not high-level defenders, but they bottled Ball up. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson looked more like DeAndre Jordan deterring Ball at the rim. Ball’s weak handle is nothing new, but it would’ve been nice to see some progress since the end of the college season. As of Sunday morning, he’s scoring just 0.66 points per possession in the half court in summer league play, per Synergy. We’re talking about small samples here, so don’t panic too much. The list of guards drafted in the first round to log at least 60 possessions and score around the same efficiency in the summer league includes: John Wall, D’Angelo Russell, Dion Waiters, and Dennis Schröder.

But for Ball’s passing ability to carry as much gravity as it has the potential to, he’ll have to become a more reliable scorer and improve both his handle and first step. Ball is at his best in transition. He’ll always be a stud in the open floor, where he has the space to fully leverage his unpredictability. Does he see a pass the defender can’t? Does he pull up from 30 feet? Does he weasel his way to the rim? But there will come a time that Ball will need to create against a set defense, and right now he’s nowhere close to ready. For Ball to elevate his play, he’ll need to prove he can create in the half court against an NBA defense.

It’d help Ball’s cause if his shot started falling. Through Sunday, he missed 38 of 50 jumpers, per data derived from Synergy. Lonzo’s dreadful percentage could just be bad luck on a small sample size. If summer league lasted longer, maybe he’d make 38 of his next 50. But it’s also possible, as detailed in March, that he’s simply had trouble finding comfort releasing his shot using his quirky mechanics against NBA-caliber defenders. Or it’s possible that he’s slow to adjust to the Spalding ball (at UCLA, Ball shot noticeably better using Wilson balls than he did other brands like Nike or Adidas).

Someday we might look back and chuckle at the micro-analysis of Ball’s game, but a prospect like him is deserving of it. I’ve never been more fascinated by a player. From the offbeat shooting mechanics to his outspoken father, Ball holds our attention. Las Vegas had its best summer league attendance ever this year. Ball not only makes his teammates better with his slick passing, but he’s raised interest in the league as a whole for us fans in the crowd and watching from home.

Note: this comes from not-so-closet Celtics homer, Kevin O'Connor, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Fair take. Him creating his own shot is still work in progress. Limited to straight line drives right now. But I'm glad he can attack the rim and he's ambidextrous. I also saw some glimpse with his post up and midrange pull up. For now, Ingram will be the point of attack in half court sets. Also Lakers need to hide him on D with lighter assignment.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Quote:

Link: [url=/nba-summer-league-takeaways-lonzo-ball-dennis-smith-98c555078625]Six Takeaways from the 2017 NBA Summer League[/url]

Fair take. Him creating his own shot is still work in progress. Limited to straight line drives right now. But I'm glad he can attack the rim and he's ambidextrous. I also saw some glimpse with his post up and midrange pull up. For now, Ingram will be the point of attack in half court sets. Also Lakers need to hide him on D with lighter assignment.

Ball's offensive game is fine, his high IQ helps he determine what the defense gives him and he will take advantage of it. Get under the screen he will burn you from the perimeter. Over play the weak side he's quick enough to get pass his man and bring the defense to him and hit open teammates or get to the rim. Teams will be so pre-occupied in denying his passing that they will forget he can score, and that's when he surprises people. Bottom line Ball is going to be very difficult to handle it will be pick your poison for NBA defenses.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo's a +37 when he's on the floor this summer league. The Lakers are a -8 with him on the bench.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

The Nets Bottled Ball Up. They ran 2 guys at him in SL and the HC for the Nets actually ran a game plan specifically to stop Lonzo...so after half-time they get outscored by 17 because Jed and Lonzo adjusted and he started playing more off Ball...and not coincidentally ended up closing their asses out.

If there is a flavor to describe the NBA right now it's definitely Salty.

Boston could of had Ball...Philly could of had Ball...We got the best player in the draft (some of us knew it before the draft wink, wink)...Other fans are showing the best form of true respect...

Irrational hatred masked as narrative shaping objectivity.

#BannersOverBillboards
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If you're a big time scorer, you're going to want to play with this kid. He won't monopolize the ball and he'll get you easy buckets. I could imagine PG13 for example having a great scoring year with Lonzo facilitating. Takes a lot of the hard work out of having to ISO your way into scoring.

One of my favorite things he does is that he notices when he has a guy on the wing running up court who's defender is below the free throw line. He immediately gets the ball to that guy on the move, and it forces the defender to close out, making it easier for the wing to get by him. And if the defender doesn't close out it's an in rhythm 3. It basically turns what should be a half court set in to effectively a semi-transition situation, and makes it whole hell of a lot easier for the wing than if their defender was set.

He does that what seems like almost every other possession for guys like Vander Blue and Matt Thomas. Imagine him doing it for BI and KCP, and hopefully PG eventually.

And he's relentless with that pressure, which is going to crack all but the most disciplined defenses. Put more talented scorers around him like PG13, as you note, and all of a sudden you get even the Warriors scrambling and discombobulated trying to slow down the semi-transition assault.

And it's literally one of the simplest passes to make too, but it leads to such an advantage for the offense.

You can tell that old saying "the ball moves faster than the defender" was really burned in to Lonzo's head as a kid. Definitely a huge part of his basketball ethos, if you will.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

What an a-hole. He's been the best player of the summer league, and it's not even close.

Focusing on his individual PPP in the halfcourt also seems pretty cheap given how many great shots he's creating.
Vino24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Trudell‏Verified account @LakersReporter 2m2 minutes ago
More
Lonzo Ball is out for the SL Final tonight due to the mild calf strain in his right leg that he suffered against Dallas last night.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Bummer.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

KOC works for Bill Simmons and is captain of his band of merry yes-men. Did you guys expect anything different?

Simmons has to ask KOC every time he's on his podcast or on Twitter to reassure him that Jayson Tatum is the most awesome NBA prospect since Lebron to make him feel better about losing out on Lonzo/Fultz/DSJ. It's pathetic...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Vino24 wrote:
Quote:
More
Lonzo Ball is out for the SL Final tonight due to the mild calf strain in his right leg that he suffered against Dallas last night.

well now I got some extra free time
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Bummer.

Yeah, but at least he ended SL on a pretty great note. And it's really not worth the risk in the big picture anyway. Hopefully we're surprised tonight by Kuz or Caruso or some other random stepping up and leading us to the championship anyway.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Honestly glad he's sitting it out. No reason to risk an injury for summer league. Also, we've kinda seen what we've needed to see out of him
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Bummer.

Yeah, but at least he ended SL on a pretty great note. And it's really not worth the risk in the big picture anyway. Hopefully we're surprised tonight by Kuz or Caruso or some other random stepping up and leading us to the championship anyway.

Yup, he has showed more then enough then any other rookie in the SL besides maybe DSJ. Time to shut it down and take him back home.

Last edited by lordtrapula on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

Don't worry. Coach Jud has got this.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
What an a-hole. He's been the best player of the summer league, and it's not even close.

Focusing on his individual PPP in the halfcourt also seems pretty cheap given how many great shots he's creating.

Like I said earlier, I'm more into unit metrics than individual ones.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Vino24 wrote:
Quote:
More

who cares about that? What is he wearing to the game tonight???
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Man, (bleep) stupid to sit him out. It's a damn tight calf....he's fine. I understand protecting your players, especially when it's summer league. But this is a little over the top imo. And the benefits of winning, even if it is just summer league, are important.

I disagree completely with this decision.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Honestly glad he's sitting it out. No reason to risk an injury for summer league. Also, we've kinda seen what we've needed to see out of him
What risk is there really, when he was essentially cramping right? Am I missing something? How would playing him today be risking anything?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 382 of 1688
Jump to: