If we had Lou.....I think we would have had a decent chance at #8 seed next year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: If we had Lou.....I think we would have had a decent chance at #8 seed next year

Sigh
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Probably would be #5 pick in lottery though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Really?
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

we should trade mozgov for him
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Ball
Dlo
Ingram
Randle
Moz

Clarkson
Lou
Swaggy
Deng
Tarik

Not bad imo
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

If we had LeBron and we were in the east we would go to the finals
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Probably would be #5 pick in lottery though.

No way. Bball gods would have awarded us with #2 just like in 2015 and just like 2017
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

28 pick is better for us than Lou. Lou also showed why he wasn't exactly in massive demand for teams and why they weren't willing to overpay for him. He's a guy who can score and draw fouls, but is awful at defense and who can absolutely vanish if his shot fades and refs don't bail him out with whistles because he has nothing else to contribute, same as he always was. There's a reason he was available to us a couple weeks after the moratorium ended at a cheap contract, even after winning the sixth man of the year award.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

The chances of the 28 pick being better than lou are less than 1%, and even if it is it will take a few years

It was a bad trade
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
The chances of the 28 pick being better than lou are less than 1%, and even if it is it will take a few years

It was a bad trade

This. If anything, if we just got a first, maybe that's ok. But not a first from a top 3 team. And definitely not a pick from a top team AND a brewer contract
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I think the timing was off for Lou with this team. If he was still on the roster what decision do we make when his contract is done after next season? He's going to be getting paid...but we're still going to be looking for something big in free agency...so he probably leaves to another team and we get nothing out of it.

He's a tremendous scorer and can be a huge asset in the right situation.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

and they wouldnt be able to develop DLo and BI at the end of the year and possibly lose the pic...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

It was a bad trade

It was a great trade. It got Lou off the team and let the ball go to the rooks instead and netted us a first round pick to boot. I hated Lou's Harden lite game (fts and flopping for them grate on me), and he vanished in the playoffs like he (and Harden) always seem to. There's a reason Raptors' fans weren't sorry to see him go.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

It was a bad trade

It was a great trade. It got Lou off the team and let the ball go to the rooks instead and netted us a first round pick to boot. I hated Lou's Harden lite game (fts and flopping for them grate on me), and he vanished in the playoffs like he (and Harden) always seem to. There's a reason Raptors' fans weren't sorry to see him go.

Ditto.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

The problem with Lou is that he just really doesn't move the needle all that much if he's one of your best players.

He's a guy who plays inefficient iso-ball and shoots at an inefficient percentage, all while being a matador on the defensive end. This makes him fine for playing against other teams' bench players (who are lesser both offensively and defensively than their starters) but a liability when playing against starters.

He can give you points when your stars are on the bench. That's about it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson should have the opportunity to take Lou's spot and we could maybe end up with someone like OG (elite defender) or Giles (huge upside) or Hartenstein (big who can shoot and pass) or Bam (high energy big)
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: If we had Lou.....I think we would have had a decent chance at #8 seed next year

15 wrote:
Sigh

I don't see a 30-year-old gunner off the bench being that important to us. I'd rather have the young guys taking those shots and developing.

A lot of Lou's success with us was because he was on a crappy team where he could gun all he wanted and wasn't required to play defense. When he joined a good team, he came back to earth.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject:

We spent 136M on a couple of players in their 30's looking for some veteran support/role players then we traded away a veteran in his 30's who could compete for 6th Man award. Made perfect sense. Not sure what the heck was going on there. Lakers don't need more draft picks. We need serviceable veterans to complement our young core.

Lou trade was strike one on Magic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
We spent 136M on a couple of players in their 30's looking for some veteran support/role players then we traded away a veteran in his 30's who could compete for 6th Man award. Made perfect sense. Not sure what the heck was going on there. Lakers don't need more draft picks. We need serviceable veterans to complement our young core.

As someone who is not soft on magic, I just can't agree here. Would have preferred a 2018 pick and no cap carryover, but yeah, this was the right direction to go for both parties.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject:

The 28th/Lou will help the Lakers move Moz or Deng.

And as we saw earlier in the year, Lou-ball doesn't help the development of other players. So much dosage of Lou and Young in that 10-10 start, it was a mirage. You need to throw the kids in the fire. I'm a broken record with the "throw the kids in the fire" for three straight years now. I hated Luke's 20 man rotation, and minutes allocation.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

As someone who is not soft on magic, I just can't agree here. Would have preferred a 2018 pick and no cap carryover, but yeah, this was the right direction to go for both parties.

Will the number 28 pick or Lou help us win more games next season? We have plenty (too much) young talents. We are past the point of developing rookies. We need solid veterans that could help us win games, which would make us become an attractive destination for FAs so we wouldn't have to settle for rejects like Moz and Deng.

So yea, Lou was exactly the type of veteran player we were looking for. I don't want a team full of rookies who are trying to learn the game and win 30 games again. We've been through that long enough. It's time to take the next step.
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Mos/deng wasnt Magic's fault. He inherited that mess. Lou slowed up the process of developing our youngsters. He had to be moved, especially since he served no purpose when became lottery-bound. Getting another pick gives us another asset and gave Luke the chance to change up roles to see what the kids could do as well as pushing the development, which is the right move this year. So far, Magic hasnt done anything wrong, and imo projects a level of confidence and trust that was lacking with previous management.
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Will the number 28 pick or Lou help us win more games next season? We have plenty (too much) young talents. We are past the point of developing rookies. We need solid veterans that could help us win games, which would make us become an attractive destination for FAs so we wouldn't have to settle for rejects like Moz and Deng.

So yea, Lou was exactly the type of veteran player we were looking for. I don't want a team full of rookies who are trying to learn the game and win 30 games again. We've been through that long enough. It's time to take the next step.

I would trade Mozgov or Deng for the 30th pick if we could. Lou had one more year left and is not a championship style player. He's a mercenary hired gunner for bad teams. Signing Lou up after next season was not in the cards for us so we were much better off getting an extra first rounder this season in a mega stacked draft. There are some pretty good prospects that could drop down there. Both Nance and Zubacs were late picks and I'd much rather have a potential player like than than to have Lou for one more year before he walks. Meanwhile Lou was a known quantity and not a something we'd need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject:

Oh brother
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: