Lakers record w/ kobe in scoring mode vs. kobe in passing mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

Lionel The Laker wrote:
It doesn't matter. Scoring mode =a 500 record. Passing mode= 500 record. It would have all balanced out. We still need some better players around Kobe.

Agreed that we need better players around Kobe (but I think we all know that)...

0-29.......6-9.......(.400)
30-39.....10-9.....(.526)
40-49.....6-4.......(.600)
50+.......3-1.......(.750)

That just doesn't look like ".500 either way" to me.

Again, better to go by FGA or something, which I'll dig up later...

But for now, there's a substantial trend there while we're on this topic.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

on any other team, an aggressive kobe would be selfish and unnecessary.

on this current team, it is a necessity.

the fact of the matter is, nobody is a consistent outside shooter, which is a must in the triangle. as much as they learn the triangle, if they can't shoot, they can't shoot.

two, nobody has a great basketball iq, another must in the triangle. odom, brown and smush are great athletes, but they just do not have the mental capacity to make smart moves. odom is making the same stupid mistakes over half way into the season that he had been making in the beginning of the season, last season, and his whole career. you can't develop "smarts" .. you are just born with it.

athletecism only gets you so far. you could have the most powerful car in the world, but without a skilled driver behind the wheel, it is rendered useless.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

^
You also need coaching.

How come Odom doesn't screw up in Miami like this? How come Kwame wasn't screwing up things in Washington last year?

They were coached and played in better situations (Kwame off the bench, Odom in the post) not to mention actually having a few set plays.

Phil is allowing these guys to play out there in the clutch without setting plays. He does not call timeouts or even dictate defense/offensive sets in the very last minutes.

All other coaches in the NBA call set plays in the last minutes.

While that's Phil's thing and I respect that - you can't expect a young team to figure out all those things by themselves. Well atleast not in 50 games. They would need atleast 2 years of that before they got it ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
You also need coaching.

How come Odom doesn't screw up in Miami like this? How come Kwame wasn't screwing up things in Washington last year?

They were coached and played in better situations (Kwame off the bench, Odom in the post) not to mention actually having a few set plays.

Phil is allowing these guys to play out there in the clutch without setting plays. He does not call timeouts or even dictate defense/offensive sets in the very last minutes.

All other coaches in the NBA call set plays in the last minutes.

While that's Phil's thing and I respect that - you can't expect a young team to figure out all those things by themselves. Well atleast not in 50 games. They would need atleast 2 years of that before they got it ....

Wolf, you touched on one very important thing there, and it's obvious you do get that it's simply part of Phil's philosophy. Phil is from the school of thought that an athlete will flourish more if he learns something himself as a result of growing through all the mistakes than he will by simply being told to do A or B in a given situation. Phil is ultimately driven by what he's able to teach and is less driven by actually trying to get a win at any given time. Phil is definitely a coach who see's the regular season as nothing more than training for the big event - therefore he's always been willing to sacrifice winning on any given night if he feels a "Lesson" can be taught to any given player in any given situation. The luxury he's always had is talent on the floor and the drive of a Jordan & Kobe who didn't necessarily share that same outlook and wanted to ALWAYS win on any given night. Phil got to teach - and still get a W so this tendncy of his wasn't nearly as evident.

Right now Phil, at to some extent Kobe, are playing a balancing act. The organization has some decisions to make about which players to keep and which are expendable and an accurate estimation can't be made if they aren't involved in the offense. So while they often screw up, it's important to judge just how they are screwing up so an intelligent decision can be made about just what their true value is to the team. Certainly the preference would be to keep as many players as possible so they aren't again in "Teaching" mode for the entire first half of next season as well. The other part of the balancing act is actually getting the # of wins necessary to get into the playoffs. I'd be surprised if we did not see Kobe in "Scoring mode" tonite against Utah, and over the next couple of games as well. But once a two game cushion is reached again, it won't be surprising to see Kobe return to the facilitating role he's been in these past few games. As long as the Lakers are in at least the 8 spot with 10 games to go, I think both Phil and Kobe are confident that they will be able to make the final push necessary to guarantee a playoff birth; especially with such a favourable closing schedule. So this balancing act of teaching,evaluating, & winning is likely to continue until the final two weeks of the season....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

^that's fair but I really hope PJ is preaching defense to these guys. Our scoring outside of Kobe has been inconsistent throughout the season. However we managed to get a +.500 record while playing through the tough part of our season based on good defense.
Lately our defense has been horrible except for small stretches in the game. The upcoming homestand is comprised of mostly winnable games. I hope PJ is drilling it in their heads to take advantage of it. This 8 game homestand can ruin our season if we don't atleast split it.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

^i've said it before, but for some reason, when kobe goes off on his spurts, it seems to inspire the team defensively. it wakes them up and gets them out of the defensive doldrums.

rarely when he goes on his 15-20 point spurts, do the lakers lose a lead.. they usually end up turning a close game into a blow out.

i think when the pressure is off them on offense, they are able to focus and concentrate on defense.

it sounds absurd, but it's just from what i have seen. kobe has the ability to pick up the defense by creating a buzz in the crowd, or whatever the hell he does. it's quite strange, actually.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: