Jeanie Buss Talks About The Young Core's Future & LaVar Ball
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Jeanie Buss Talks About The Young Core's Future & LaVar Ball

Video starts at 16:35.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss Talks About The Young Core's Future & LaVar Ball

saetarubia wrote:
Video starts at 16:35.

Interesting that the statues at Staples were Shaq's idea.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

She said family's support is important for every individual and every parent thinks their kid is the best in the team so don't have any issues with Lavar. Also said FO will decide whom they will draft so she can't comment on draft.

Last edited by saetarubia on Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
She said family's support is important for every individual and every parent thinks their kid is the best in the team t so don't have any issues with Lavar. Also said FO will decide whom they will draft so she can't comment on draft.

The irony is it coming from someone who just ousted a family member
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Good interview. Sounded committed to the youth.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

She's mimicking Jim and Mitch's plan. Hmmm
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
She said family's support is important for every individual and every parent thinks their kid is the best in the team so don't have any issues with Lavar.

This is the REALITY of the situation that any intelligent owner would see the 'overzealous parent' being.

The rest of the 'worry' and 'impact' LaVar would have on the Lakers team is media fabrication and clickbaiting.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Not the common sense here, but I like Jeanie.

Good interview, I got a bit emotional with her talking about how Magic was hired. When she touched the transparency aspect it made me think she had a serious communication problem with Jim and Mitch.

She still has that childish innocent smile, it is a pleasure to watch her.

Last edited by nash on Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeanie:

"In terms of basketball I wouldn't say I know how to make basketball decisions, but I think from where I sit, the most important thing is that you keep your draft picks, you develop your players, you make a commitment to your coaching staff, you give them what they need to accomplish the goals that have been assigned to them."

Maybe this is the plan by Magic and Rob?

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/18/15661216/la-lakers-all-star-trade-game-jeanie-buss-podcast-patience?utm_campaign=hmfaigen&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Maybe with the youth movement. Sure. But in terms of free agent signings and how to court possible free agents, jim n mitch failed miserably and the lakers are still dealing with the consequences. Mos/deng and the Lamarcus Aldridge pitch were the last straws. People keep bringing up the youth that points at similarities between the two regimes but i dont thnk you can build a team without development of some kind anymore in today's NBA.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Lovefool wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Maybe with the youth movement. Sure. But in terms of free agent signings and how to court possible free agents, jim n mitch failed miserably and the lakers are still dealing with the consequences. Mos/deng and the Lamarcus Aldridge pitch were the last straws. People keep bringing up the youth that points at similarities between the two regimes but i dont thnk you can build a team without development of some kind anymore in today's NBA.
jim and mitch didnt fail anything.

every free agent we so called went after. already had a #1 destination. Lemarcus was to go home to texas and play for a contender. lakers are in los angeles and are rebuilding. there is nothing to sell.

melo wanted the money and didnt want to play for the lakers with a broken down kobe and a bunch of kids. now granted he aint winning in a knick uni either. But he was never coming here, he was never going anywhere else. he almost looks to not want to go anywhere now even though they suck and phil is talking slick about him in the media. so that should tell you. we never had a chance with him.

dwight didnt want to come here to begin with. we were like his 4th option. if the cp3 deal would've gone thru he would've stayed since you would've had a competitive roster with a pass first pg.

but all in all. arent you glad we didnt get any of those players? I know i am.

mitch and jim didnt miss on a thing.

missing on Fa's is what Cuban has been dealing with for years. I mean he had a guy in his hands and the guy slipped away. thats not being able to close a deal or lure guys your way.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Ugh....why do people keep asking the 'Well if the new regime is committed to the youth, why were Jim and Mitch fired' question?

I seriously don't get it.
digcom99
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

every free agent we so called went after. already had a #1 destination. Lemarcus was to go home to texas and play for a contender. lakers are in los angeles and are rebuilding. there is nothing to sell.

melo wanted the money and didnt want to play for the lakers with a broken down kobe and a bunch of kids. now granted he aint winning in a knick uni either. But he was never coming here, he was never going anywhere else. he almost looks to not want to go anywhere now even though they suck and phil is talking slick about him in the media. so that should tell you. we never had a chance with him.

dwight didnt want to come here to begin with. we were like his 4th option. if the cp3 deal would've gone thru he would've stayed since you would've had a competitive roster with a pass first pg.

missing on Fa's is what Cuban has been dealing with for years. I mean he had a guy in his hands and the guy slipped away. thats not being able to close a deal or lure guys your way.

maybe this will help you understand why mitch and jim needed to go.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693926-magic-johnson-will-have-a-damning-case-against-jim-buss-and-mitch-kupchak
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Well Jeanie is single, is LaVar?

Perhaps this could be a new power couple...!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

exactly.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Well Jeanie is single, is LaVar?

Perhaps this could be a new power couple...!

You can't go from Phil to Lavar. I think it's technically impossible
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

I'd always leave mitch out. He had a boss and would have been fired by either jeanie or jim for supporting the other. He tried his best by staying in his lane and being loyal to Mitch.

Jim failed his family and the brand in many ways. People just don't read between the lines to see what he was up to. If he had succeeded in selling off the team from under his family/jeanie we'd not only be 1000x's more disappointed in Jeanie for allowing it but we might be looking for another team to rep.

Did jeanie fail drbuss by not allowing jim to sell off the shares?
Was jeanie secretly selling the team off?

I'm not sure the angle jim supporters have but they all tend to ignore that Jim failed in all initiatives to the point of bankruptcy and the lakers were just his cash cow.

Anyone that's a laker fan and has sentimental value to "jim's plan" should think twice about that and it's embarrassing to see it on this forum so prominently.

Feel bad for Jeanie, her bro stabbed her in the back while trying to plan taking out his own family... her fiance Pjax never proposed and was likely just after a seat at the table.

Good to hear her still pushing the vision and pulling in people that will support her, put the brand first and only bring in others under them that feel the same.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm way more sympathetic to Mitch than I am for Jim. Mitch actually has credentials and earned his position as GM. Jim's credentials were being born as the son of the greatest owner in sports history. Look, I'm close to someone who has done business with Jim outside of basketball, and if you knew how fiscally irresponsible Jim was with his own money, you'd never want him holding the keys to the NBA's greatest franchise.

It comes down to credibility. What premier free agent would want to play for a meddling owner who placed himself in a high level basketball position who is not well thought of or well liked? And forget the "plan". It's the execution which was poor. Even if you you don't like Magic as an exec, his credentials for his position dwarf Jim's and Magic has credibility with players. At the very least, there is no distrust of him.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Jim and Jeanie both suck
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Of course Mitch wasn't to blame, the new FO is executing his plan exactly as he intended.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Of course Mitch wasn't to blame, the new FO is executing his plan exactly as he intended.

Poor Mitch
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Ugh....why do people keep asking the 'Well if the new regime is committed to the youth, why were Jim and Mitch fired' question?

I seriously don't get how you don't get it.

The decision to oust Jim/Mitch was more than just ability to have a plan committed to youth. Which by the way, was never their plan. They kept trying to sign 2nd tier stars like LMA and Melo. They were trying to throw big money at Monroe... They did that year after year. There was no plan to go the young route. It worked to our benefit that they kept hiring all the wrong coaches-- which was another issue. But the lack of having a plan and just trying to sign big names, not capitalizing on traceable assets like Dwight and Pau, etc etc all showed poor management.

As we are seeing now, there was a weak infrastructure underneath Jim and Mitch in terms of analytics, health and wellness, etc. I'm not saying it was terrible but clearly behind other teams which given all our resources should never be an issue for the Lakers. We literally should be at the forefront of everything basketball. I don't put that on Mitch as GM but that was all on Jim. Jim didn't care to metaphorically speaking take off the baseball cap and try and CREATE the next era of Laker basketball. He just wanted to prove he could do it his way and he'd be great at it.

The craziest part is not ineptitude above but the tension that was underlying the entire organization. Jim and by extension, Mitch, would not even communicate with her on anything. She's basically stated she never had any idea what they were doing especially after she told them to consult with her/Magic on trading young players and then they kept her in the dark about Boogie. From all reports, from people like Byron who were actually there, you almost had to pick sides.. Jim or Jeanie. That is a TERRIBLE stench to have around an organization. Imagine the CEO and COO of Snapchat or Apple or any prominent business maybe not not liking each other personally but definitely not respecting each other professionally to the point where employees had be careful who they spoke to. That's juvenile in any sense but incredibly limiting for a business.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
She said family's support is important for every individual and every parent thinks their kid is the best in the team t so don't have any issues with Lavar. Also said FO will decide whom they will draft so she can't comment on draft.

The irony is it coming from someone who just ousted a family member

who couldnt do his job after 5 years.....let this go
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Judah wrote:

The decision to oust Jim/Mitch was more than just ability to have a plan committed to youth. Which by the way, was never their plan. They kept trying to sign 2nd tier stars like LMA and Melo. They were trying to throw big money at Monroe... They did that year after year. There was no plan to go the young route. It worked to our benefit that they kept hiring all the wrong coaches-- which was another issue. But the lack of having a plan and just trying to sign big names, not capitalizing on traceable assets like Dwight and Pau, etc etc all showed poor management.

As we are seeing now, there was a weak infrastructure underneath Jim and Mitch in terms of analytics, health and wellness, etc. I'm not saying it was terrible but clearly behind other teams which given all our resources should never be an issue for the Lakers. We literally should be at the forefront of everything basketball. I don't put that on Mitch as GM but that was all on Jim. Jim didn't care to metaphorically speaking take off the baseball cap and try and CREATE the next era of Laker basketball. He just wanted to prove he could do it his way and he'd be great at it.

The craziest part is not ineptitude above but the tension that was underlying the entire organization. Jim and by extension, Mitch, would not even communicate with her on anything. She's basically stated she never had any idea what they were doing especially after she told them to consult with her/Magic on trading young players and then they kept her in the dark about Boogie. From all reports, from people like Byron who were actually there, you almost had to pick sides.. Jim or Jeanie. That is a TERRIBLE stench to have around an organization. Imagine the CEO and COO of Snapchat or Apple or any prominent business maybe not not liking each other personally but definitely not respecting each other professionally to the point where employees had be careful who they spoke to. That's juvenile in any sense but incredibly limiting for a business.

To every word of what you just said: Umm....DUH? I agree 100%.

I wasn't one of the people asking that question (though it's obviously an argument that's carefully disguised as a question). I was asking why OTHER people keep asking it, as if the reason Jim and Mitch were fired was because they wanted to be patient and allow the kids to grow, while Jeanie just wanted to get rid of them in some desperate attempt to win now or something. My issue is that the anti Jeanie/Magic/Rob folks on this forum have speculated and unfairly assumed from the very beginning, and somewhere along the way they've confused their assumptions and speculations as fact, all while completely ignoring what Jeanie, Magic, and Pelinka have actually said about their plans moving forward.

Bottom line is that I was highlighting the implied bias and outright density of the people who keep asking why the old regime was scrapped since patiently investing in the kids was supposedly what they were trying to do (which they certainly weren't by the time they got axed). There's a long list of reasons as to why they were fired, all of which you highlighted. It's dense to act like they weren't fired for more reasons than one.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Judah wrote:

TBH, I was ok with Jim Buss and Mitch and in fact defended some of their moves. But when I read that Jeannie was in the dark, I understand why she fired them. You're the President of an organization and you don't know what's going on, especially when your business is failing on the floor, its freaking embarrassing. When I worked in the corporate world, one of the best lessons I learned was just keeping your boss in the loop. Even if he wasn't a micro manager, its was just CYA. Guess Jim thought he was impeachable. I mean unfireable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: