Barkley: Lebron not yet better than Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

manofboy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

here's what happens. if bron had to play in the west.

he would have to travel further (phil jackson already talked about why his bulls were so good and the less travel being in the chi was a part of it). that travel does bother you. private/chartered flight or not.

in addition. he would've played better comp. doing this night in and night out fatigues a player. not just for the next game but for the future. the harder you have to play for more games within each season and more games in the offs. the less likely you will be physically able to sustain the same finals run he has. you remember how tired the kobe,odom, gasol lakers looked when dallas spanked us? well that would be bron if he played in the west.

it could've easily been jordan if he played in the west as well.

Well, the thing that Phil Jackson said is just flat out incorrect (I mean you don't take what he says as gospel do you? He's knocked Kobe so much): http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/2014/01/does-circidian-timing-give-west-coast-teams-an-edge.html

And yeah he'd have to play better competition, but he's had better numbers vs. the West, and are you really going to assume LeBron get's fatigued easily? Come on, bro. Surely you can *at the very least* admit his durability and endurance is nothing short of legendary.

Career Averages (playoffs and postseason):

EASTERN 49% FG 33%3p 58%TS 27.1 pts 7.1 reb 6.8 ast

WESTERN 51% FG 37%3p 58%TS 27.3 pts 7.3 reb 7.1 ast

I'm not saying the East is better or anything, but you can't write off the huge discepancy between LeBron and Kobe's stats because he plays in the East

This does not take into account the wear and tear factor. Lebron is fresh because he plays in east conference. Lebron does not play a full grinding west season. He also lost many times in the finals against west team. Just imagine prime Kobe's stats in east conference.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
If you will look at players(they have more credibility), majority of them pick Kobe as better than Lebron.

No, they do not have more credibility. Their job is to play basketball, not analyze it.

They fact that they actually played gives them a deeper perspective.

Not necessarily. Just because someone is a great author, painter or filmmaker doesn't mean they are an astute critic of books, art or cinema. Often it's just the opposite. The people who do something extremely well often do it in an intuitive, natural way, and the people who can't do it are better at understanding and analyzing it.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
If you will look at players(they have more credibility), majority of them pick Kobe as better than Lebron.

No, they do not have more credibility. Their job is to play basketball, not analyze it.

Not necessarily. Just because someone is a great author, painter or filmmaker doesn't mean they are an astute critic of books, art or cinema. Often it's just the opposite. The people who do something extremely well often do it in an intuitive, natural way, and the people who can't do it are better at understanding and analyzing it.

I disagree. They have more credibility because they know the craft itself. Nobody will chose a carpenter over a doctor for disease assessment. Nobody will chose a doctor over an engineer over the structural strength assetment of a building.

Last edited by ryan_c on Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

That's a matter of perspective. You can enjoy your pundits for all they're worth. But I'm personally more inclined to value the voices of those who lived and breathed their profession, when said profession is the topic of discussion. It depends on what you value. But if you want the skinny, or the real inside stuff, then Max Kellerman isn't going to cut it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

That's a matter of perspective. You can enjoy your pundits for all they're worth. But I'm personally more inclined to value the voices of those who lived and breathed their profession, when said profession is the topic of discussion. It depends on what you value. But if you want the skinny, or the real inside stuff, then Max Kellerman isn't going to cut it.

I find fans only care about what players say if the player is saying something the fan already agrees with. If Barkley (or any other NBA player) says something nice about a guy you like, his opinion is very important. If the next words out of Barkley's (or any other NBA player's) mouth is a diss of the guy you like, his opinion is meaningless.

I have never once seen a fan say, "This NBA player is saying something that contradicts my opinion, but its important because he played the game and I didn't." It's always: "Hey, this great player thinks what I think, so we should all listen to him."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

I disagree. They have more credibility because they know the craft itself. Nobody will chose a carpenter over a doctor for disease assessment. Nobody will chose a doctor over an engineer over the structural strength assetment of a building.

You're confusing scientific fact and opinion. If an architect tells me that a house needs a cross beam in a certain place to keep the house from collapsing, I'll listen. If the same architect tells me that art deco is a better style that Mediterranean, I may well reject his opinion.

The doctor analogy is off too. I'll certainly listen to a doctor, but I don't find their opinion indisputable. Doctors misdiagnose things all the time. Patients often provide information that corrects the doctor's mistakes. Or a doctor might suggest a treatment that the patient rejects (like whether to treat high blood pressure through a pill or diet). I actually think the doctor analogy is better for why people often reject the opinion of basketball players.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri May 26, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

I find fans only care about what players say if the player is saying something the fan already agrees with. If Barkley (or any other NBA player) says something nice about a guy you like, his opinion is very important. If the next words out of Barkley's (or any other NBA player's) mouth is a diss of the guy you like, his opinion is meaningless.

I have never once seen a fan say, "This NBA player is saying something that contradicts my opinion, but its important because he played the game and I didn't." It's always: "Hey, this great player thinks what I think, so we should all listen to him."

I see you point, but conversely, the same could be said about fans siding with some analyst or "expert" because like you stated, said expert's opinion validates their bias. Personally, I've always opposed the critical establishment. Not just in sports, but in anything really. I'd much rather listen to Quentin Tarantino talk about Scorsese than some random Rotten Tomatoes personality. But that's just me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Grind wrote:
manofboy wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

I see you point, but conversely, the same could be said about fans siding with some analyst or "expert" because like you stated, said expert's opinion validates their bias. Personally, I've always opposed the critical establishment. Not just in sports, but in anything really. I'd much rather listen to Quentin Tarantino talk about Scorsese than some random Rotten Tomatoes personality. But that's just me.

I care about what Tarantino is saying if he's saying something interesting. I'll give him more leeway because of his reputation than I will a Rotten Tomatoes personality, but ultimately the worthiness of the opinion itself is more important than the person who expresses the opinion.

An idiotic opinion about film doesn't become less idiotic just because it's said by an Academy Award winning.

And it's funny you're bringing up Tarantino. I think he's made a lot of good films, but he's also spouted a lot of nonsense about films. So I'd be more likely to go see one of films than I would to attend a film lecture he did. I've met a lot of great actors and filmmakers who weren't the brightest bulbs off the set.

But sure, people will often seek out opinions that simply confirm what they already think. In terms of evaluating players, I don't put much value on quotes from other players and analysts. They are reasonable pieces of information to toss in the pile with everything else, but I find them a trivial component of the overall evaluation.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject:

The hubris of these posters that think they know more than actual nba basketball players - hall of famers even
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
The hubris of these posters that think they know more than actual nba basketball players - hall of famers even

So you agree with everything that any NBA basketball player says about basketball simply because he's an NBA player? Interesting.

Could you give us some examples of things that Hall of Famers said that contradicted opinions you held, and which caused you to change your opinion because you felt they knew more than you do.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
but ultimately the worthiness of the opinion itself is more important than the person who expresses the opinion.

I'd also agree with this.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

So you agree with everything that any NBA basketball player says about basketball simply because he's an NBA player? Interesting.

Could you give us some examples of things that Hall of Famers said that contradicted opinions you held, and which caused you to change your opinion because you felt they knew more than you do.

What gives this more weight and value, it is not only one NBA player who is mentioning it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

To wit, a year ago Barkley said that Lebron was more skilled than Kobe. I don't remember a thread about that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

Wow. What a transformation. Barkley has gone from foe to demi god.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

to me Lebron is dismissed in any discussion of all time greats. He disqualified himself the day he left his team in Cleveland to ring chase in Miami, thus going to Wade's team, not his. Then when he realized Miami was done winning because Wade was getting older and Bosh was having issues he quickly went back to Cleveland after they had assembled 2 back to back #1 picks and had a blossoming star in Kyrie. Further more, he's been to 7 finals, only winning 3, if he loses again this year he will be 3-5. I feel to be even in the discussion he needs to be over .500 in Finals. But his team hopping should be considered a black mark on him when being discussed. Imagine Jordan leaving the Bulls in 1998 and going to the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq, or Kobe leaving the Lakers and going to the Spurs or Suns in 2006, how many chips would he have won joining those top contenders?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

To wit, a year ago Barkley said that Lebron was more skilled than Kobe. I don't remember a thread about that.

It's like that old Buffalo Springfield song:

A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly saying "hooray for our side"
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
to me Lebron is dismissed in any discussion of all time greats. He disqualified himself the day he left his team in Cleveland to ring chase in Miami, thus going to Wade's team, not his. Then when he realized Miami was done winning because Wade was getting older and Bosh was having issues he quickly went back to Cleveland after they had assembled 2 back to back #1 picks and had a blossoming star in Kyrie. Further more, he's been to 7 finals, only winning 3, if he loses again this year he will be 3-5. I feel to be even in the discussion he needs to be over .500 in Finals. But his team hopping should be considered a black mark on him when being discussed. Imagine Jordan leaving the Bulls in 1998 and going to the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq, or Kobe leaving the Lakers and going to the Spurs or Suns in 2006, how many chips would he have won joining those top contenders?

Yep, I completely agree.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

The concept of ring chasing is interesting. What I like to do is compare the competition. When Lebron was in Miami, it was quite clear that they would go to the finals every year. I even expected them to win 4/4 times they made it. But they only got 2, and barely squeezed a lucky one out against the Spurs. I truly believe that Miami team fell short and underachieved, especially after he self-proclaimed that Miami would win 7 championships, which was laughable. That was supposed to be the all-time great super team.

But now, even though I expect Cleveland to make the finals every year, I don't and didn't expect them to beat Golden State. This ring chasing stuff can quickly be debunked if he can win a couple more rings AGAINST a Golden State team that is obviously far more superior and probably one of the greatest teams ever assembled. If he can do that, no one is ever going to bring up ring chasing because it wouldn't matter anymore. But do I think Lebron will beat them, no.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
The concept of ring chasing is interesting. What I like to do is compare the competition. When Lebron was in Miami, it was quite clear that they would go to the finals every year. I even expected them to win 4/4 times they made it. But they only got 2, and barely squeezed a lucky one out against the Spurs. I truly believe that Miami team fell short and underachieved, especially after he self-proclaimed that Miami would win 7 championships, which was laughable. That was supposed to be the all-time great super team.

But now, even though I expect Cleveland to make the finals every year, I don't and didn't expect them to beat Golden State. This ring chasing stuff can quickly be debunked if he can win a couple more rings AGAINST a Golden State team that is obviously far more superior and probably one of the greatest teams ever assembled. If he can do that, no one is ever going to bring up ring chasing because it wouldn't matter anymore. But do I think Lebron will beat them, no.
hilarious people keep saying no one is going to bring it up. you got that from sports talk radio. thats what they say. The truth is, YES WE WILL. The same way I still call out Dwhistle for that miami vs dallas series. I have never forgot about him going to the Freethrow line some insane amt of times to win his first ring. and how bogus those calls were. never once forgot about it and neither does anyone who wasnt a miami fan or a dwade lover to a fault.

Every time i see bron, I see a great and a scary cat. all rolled up into one. a great that proved his greatness as a kid getting to the finals(in the weak east but as a kid I'll give you a pass.) but also a scary cat(ring chasing in your prime when you are 260 lbs, moving like a guard, running faster than everyone, jumping higher than everyone, still in the weak east. That will never leave my mind or anyone elses who grew up in an era where ring chasing only really happened when you were aging out or passed your prime years.

I love KD. but KD aint the KD he was in OKC even after they win this year. unless of course everyone on gstate gets hurt and he goes nuts and beats the cavs all by his lonesome.

So sorry if lebron, kyrie, and Klove beat the warriors so what. I'm not giving bron all the credit like kyrie and klove were not previous stars on their teams.

Klove is a 2 time all nba, 4 time allstar.
kyrie is a 1 time all nba, 4 time allstar.

Chris Bosh was a 1 time all nba, 11 time allstar
Dwade is a 8 time all nba, 12 time allstar.

See if lebron started out on these teams as a rookie and grew with these guys, that would be one thing. But to ring chase with these two groups of high caliber ballers. Sorry, the same way they cut shaq and kobe's MVP's in half and wouldnt want to give either a MVP trophy in some of those years. The same way bron's legendary status gets lowered due to him running to these teammates.

here's the thing about KD. we got on KD about ring chase. But we know bron started it. if you're trying to win a ring and you see the so called best player in the nba Ring chasing and stacking his team. Arent you almost forced to do the same to even compete? YEP

I mean how great is kobe? This man saw the Celtics get together with 3 official hall of famers and a possible one if rondo could've stayed healthy and kept his head on straight. Kobe didnt run and go call for reinforcements. He didnt run and go get help. He stuck with what he had for the most part. Him, gasol and the rest solid role guys. This is why theirs no way on earth in my mind bron can be better than kobe. he never allowed himself to be at his peak abilities then see if he could go out their and beat these teams with just him and maybe one other guy the cavs or some other team could afford. Nope he had to go get an all star team. And the fact that at least the miami team was healthy and they still didnt win all those titles that they should have. It kind of exposed all 3 of them didnt it. This era isnt as good as the older legends. But the young people watching the current nba just can't stomach that reality.

Imagine, gary payton in his prime saying you know what. I'm teaming up with Jordan and let me call Barkely too and see if he will play with us in chicago. Wait..what? that sounds insane. but thats exactly what bron did..not once. but twice. here's the kicker bron is supposed to be the jordan in the story. so its really MJ joining forces with 2 other stars. crazy.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

hilarious people keep saying no one is going to bring it up. you got that from sports talk radio. thats what they say. The truth is, YES WE WILL. The same way I still call out Dwhistle for that miami vs dallas series. I have never forgot about him going to the Freethrow line some insane amt of times to win his first ring. and how bogus those calls were. never once forgot about it and neither does anyone who wasnt a miami fan or a dwade lover to a fault.

Every time i see bron, I see a great and a scary cat. all rolled up into one. a great that proved his greatness as a kid getting to the finals(in the weak east but as a kid I'll give you a pass.) but also a scary cat(ring chasing in your prime when you are 260 lbs, moving like a guard, running faster than everyone, jumping higher than everyone, still in the weak east. That will never leave my mind or anyone elses who grew up in an era where ring chasing only really happened when you were aging out or passed your prime years.

I love KD. but KD aint the KD he was in OKC even after they win this year. unless of course everyone on gstate gets hurt and he goes nuts and beats the cavs all by his lonesome.

So sorry if lebron, kyrie, and Klove beat the warriors so what. I'm not giving bron all the credit like kyrie and klove were not previous stars on their teams.

See if lebron started out on these teams as a rookie and grew with these guys, that would be one thing. But to ring chase with these two groups of high caliber ballers. Sorry, the same way they cut shaq and kobe's MVP's in half and wouldnt want to give either a MVP trophy in some of those years. The same way bron's legendary status gets lowered due to him running to these teammates.

here's the thing about KD. we got on KD about ring chase. But we know bron started it. if you're trying to win a ring and you see the so called best player in the nba Ring chasing and stacking his team. Arent you almost forced to do the same to even compete? YEP

I mean how great is kobe? This man saw the Celtics get together with 3 official hall of famers and a possible one if rondo could've stayed healthy and kept his head on straight. Kobe didnt run and go call for reinforcements. He didnt run and go get help. He stuck with what he had for the most part. Him, gasol and the rest solid role guys. This is why theirs no way on earth in my mind bron can be better than kobe. he never allowed himself to be at his peak abilities then see if he could go out their and beat these teams with just him and maybe one other guy the cavs or some other team could afford. Nope he had to go get an all star team. And the fact that at least the miami team was healthy and they still didnt win all those titles that they should have. It kind of exposed all 3 of them didnt it. This era isnt as good as the older legends. But the young people watching the current nba just can't stomach that reality.

Some of us Lakers will remember this and hold it against Lebron, only because of the comparison between him and Kobe. We are biased. All of us on this board are to a certain extent. So when I say that people won't remember, I'm talking about the general public outside of Laker Nation. I agree with your points because I don't think Lebron has surpassed Kobe yet.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

Imagine, gary payton in his prime saying you know what. I'm teaming up with Jordan and let me call Barkely too and see if he will play with us in chicago. Wait..what? that sounds insane. but thats exactly what bron did..not once. but twice. here's the kicker bron is supposed to be the jordan in the story. so its really MJ joining forces with 2 other stars. crazy.

As the Celtics were beefing up Kobe asked to be traded to Chicago
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Lebron is a monster. I cheer against him in every series, but as a basketball fan, dude is a top 5 all time great, with the chance to be the 2nd best ever in my book.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

What a surprise, a bunch of Laker fans think Kobe is better.

The only legitimate argument one could make for Kobe is overall resume and career totals (which Lebron is going to surpass anyways except maybe points.) Peak-wise Lebron was on a totally different level than Kobe. Lebron was in that Jordan/Shaq tier of dominance that Kobe was never good enough to achieve. No knock on Kobe, still a top 10 talent, just never as good as Lebron.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lebron is a monster. I cheer against him in every series, but as a basketball fan, dude is a top 5 all time great, with the chance to be the 2nd best ever in my book.

Completely agree. As much as I despise him, I have nothing but respect for his talents. And of course as a big Kobe fan, I naturally want to be defensive and defend the Kobester, but he's retired now. He is an all-time great and I don't want to exert too much energy defending him now. Just respect the greats. After all, I am a Laker fan first.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He's definitely 2nd in my book....under the all time NBA douchebag category.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14
Jump to: