2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of Moz/Deng can actually become a useful rotation player again next season?
Mozgov
50%
 50%  [ 16 ]
Deng
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Neither.
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 32

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

Let's be honest here. Their combined annual cap hit of nearly 35m/year is a major drain on the team. To get rid of them, we will need to:

1. attach positive young assets
2. take on an equally onerous contracts in exchange or
3. stretch/waive them, which adds future cap hits.

If nothing changes, I think option 3 is the way to go.

However, there is a part of me that thinks that these two can actually become contributing members on the 2017-18 team.

First, I project Moz to be the starting center this upcoming season. The future center IMO is Zub, but we're probably a year (maybe post ASG) from that happening. If he starts, and we draft Lonzo, I think we can expect a resurgence (relatively speaking) from Moz. Now he'll have both DLO/Lonzo to find him. He will have to improve his pick and pop game and become a reliable mid-range threat. Defensively, he was the victim of a porous Lakers perimeter defense, which may be the case again next season. But offensively, I think we can make Moz "better" again this season.

Deng is the tougher situation. He is really not suited to play SF anymore. His optimal position is PF. However, if Moz starts, our backup frontcourt rotation will be Zub/Nance, which forces Deng to play SF again. I think this will be a major disservice to him, and I'm not sure how we can make him great again if he's playing that position. Apart from a trade happening concerning Jules or Nance, Deng has to play backup SF.

In conclusion, I think Moz can have a better year next year, but I am dubious about Deng's improvement next season.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's be honest here. Their combined annual cap hit of nearly 35m/year is a major drain on the team. To get rid of them, we will need to:

Disagree with the basis of 1 and 2.

If Paul wants to go the Spurs, we can absorb gasols expiring while they give us a first round pick, which we can flip with moz to Brooklyn for Brook. We easily get rid of him without trading our young assets and get back a better contract, not equally onerous.

Heck we could also trade moz or Deng to Cleveland for Channing Frye's expiring and iman one year more possible deal, as they need to make a move but have no method to do so, so that's a situation we can jump in.

Point is, there are lots of ways to get rid of these useless players without giving up our own young assets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If Paul wants to go the Spurs, we can absorb gasols expiring while they give us a first round pick, which we can flip with moz to Brooklyn for Brook. We easily get rid of him without trading our young assets and get back a better contract, not equally onerous.

Heck we could also trade moz or Deng to Cleveland for Channing Frye's expiring and iman one year more possible deal, as they need to make a move but have no method to do so, so that's a situation we can jump in.

Point is, there are lots of ways to get rid of these useless players without giving up our own young assets.

Um, so you're proving my point. You're saying that we would need a 1st round pick to send with Moz to get rid of him.

And you presume that a late 1st + Moz is enough for Brook, which I doubt.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject:

Thread should read: "Make Moz/Deng Serviceable Again."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

In reality, yeah. But I honestly do believe Moz can be serviceable and more with a D'Lonzo backcourt...from an offensive standpoint. Defensively, still an issue.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

The curse of Mitch and Jim will be with us for 3 more years until these ridiculous contracts come off the books.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You are counting on the Spurs to be quite benevolent in regards to sending Pau to a preferred location and at the expense of a first round pick. Maybe they will surprise me, but I doubt that they will do both of those things.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

I still find it kinda strange that there was no amnesty with the new CBA

I think mitch as counting on it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
The curse of Mitch and Jim will be with us for 3 more years until these ridiculous contracts come off the books.

Sure, but if one of them becomes useful (IMO it's likely Moz) than it really helps us going forward both from on-court/trade possibility. Deng, I just can't figure out how he fits on this team going forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I still find it kinda strange that there was no amnesty with the new CBA

I think mitch as counting on it

Agreed. I think they thought there was one and that they could at worst have used one, stretched the other. Yikes.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You are counting on the Spurs to be quite benevolent in regards to sending Pau to a preferred location and at the expense of a first round pick. Maybe they will surprise me, but I doubt that they will do both of those things.

That's actually not the reason, just a coincidence. Spurs need to clear cap room. Only way to do that is to trade their largest contracts without taking salary back. Lakers have cap space so we can absorb gasol without giving them salary. They would have to include a first as part of the price to use our cap space.

This exact scenario happened when Houston wanted to dump to sign Bosh, so we absorbed Lin's expiring without giving anything back, and they had to give us a first, which I believe turned into Larry Nance. That's just standard market price to pay when asking another team to absorb a contract for nothing back.

Not many teams are in position like us to absorb a contract like that. Since we are clearly playing for 2018 FA getting an expiring like gasol works. Then the feel good story comes after the fact. But I'm looking at contracts here. If it was benoit Benjamin I'd say the same thing if he was expiring $16m and nets us a first.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's actually not the reason, just a coincidence. Spurs need to clear cap room. Only way to do that is to trade their largest contracts without taking salary back. Lakers have cap space so we can absorb gasol without giving them salary. They would have to include a first as part of the price to use our cap space.

This exact scenario happened when Houston wanted to dump to sign Bosh, so we absorbed Lin's expiring without giving anything back, and they had to give us a first, which I believe turned into Larry Nance. That's just standard market price to pay when asking another team to absorb a contract for nothing back.

Not many teams are in position like us to absorb a contract like that. Since we are clearly playing for 2018 FA getting an expiring like gasol works. Then the feel good story comes after the fact. But I'm looking at contracts here. If it was benoit Benjamin I'd say the same thing if he was expiring $16m and nets us a first.

But the point is, going back to the original thought, that you would still need a positive young asset (hypothetical Spurs 1st rounder) to trade Moz out.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Let's kwame them 2019
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

yinoma2001 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But the point is, going back to the original thought, that you would still need a positive young asset (hypothetical Spurs 1st rounder) to trade Moz out.

In that context, yes. I must've misread your #1 thinking you meant trade our own current young assets eg randle or something.

But the overall point is, we don't need to stress about trying to make them 12th man worthy. It's much easier to dispose of them than it will be to make them better than crap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In that context, yes. I must've misread your #1 thinking you meant trade our own current young assets eg randle or something.

But the overall point is, we don't need to stress about trying to make them 12th man worthy. It's much easier to dispose of them than it will be to make them better than crap.

If it were easy than it would be done. I think you underrate the difficulty (aside from stretch/waive) of getting rid of them without something nasty coming our way or having to use positive young assets.

Which is why I would try to make them useful as part of the rotation. Moz should be the starter opening night; Deng, not sure where he is playing. Probably as backup SF, which is not his optimal position anymore.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

yinoma2001 wrote:

If nothing changes, I think option 3 is the way to go.

However, there is a part of me that thinks that these two can actually become contributing members on the 2017-18 team.

First, I project Moz to be the starting center this upcoming season. The future center IMO is Zub, but we're probably a year (maybe post ASG) from that happening. If he starts, and we draft Lonzo, I think we can expect a resurgence (relatively speaking) from Moz. Now he'll have both DLO/Lonzo to find him. He will have to improve his pick and pop game and become a reliable mid-range threat. Defensively, he was the victim of a porous Lakers perimeter defense, which may be the case again next season. But offensively, I think we can make Moz "better" again this season.

Deng is the tougher situation. He is really not suited to play SF anymore. His optimal position is PF. However, if Moz starts, our backup frontcourt rotation will be Zub/Nance, which forces Deng to play SF again. I think this will be a major disservice to him, and I'm not sure how we can make him great again if he's playing that position. Apart from a trade happening concerning Jules or Nance, Deng has to play backup SF.

In conclusion, I think Moz can have a better year next year, but I am dubious about Deng's improvement next season.

Deng can still play SF, and I like him better in that role than Brewer, if he can embrace being a backup on a bad team. Having 48 minutes of Russell and Ball at PG should help Deng get a few easier shots, as well (he shot 37% from 3 playing with DLo). If Luke does play him at PF, it needs to be alongside one of the true centers rather than in a small-ball frontcourt with Julius - that pairing was extra putrid defensively.

I agree with you on Moz, and Ball's lobs should be a huge benefit for him since he seems to struggle catching any pass below his chest.

Overall, it's more important to rehabilitate Deng than Moz given the league-wide value placed on their respective positions. With the league so oversaturated with yeoman bigs - and there's a crop of 15-20 more about to enter the NBA on 6/22 - Moz is unmovable, but Deng has an outside shot to recoup some of his trade value with a bounceback season. Obviously the Lakers would still be taking back some bad salary, but the hope would be to break up Deng's bigger deal into a couple smaller and shorter deals without having to send out any significant assets as a sweetener.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

I guess we have to pray that Deng improves as a SF b/c the PF minutes are gone with Jules/Nance/Ingram, and the center minutes will be Moz/Zub/Nance/Jules.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

IMO both players have been overly criticized and too much focus is being put on dumping them. Simple reality is they are overpriced vets on a bottom dwelling team. Accept it and see the contributions or continue to complain about the contracts. Separate the contracts from the contributions.

The NBA is a veteran player league. Look at the playoff teams and the contributions of old guys that should not have the impact that they do. Diaw, West and Jefferson types having impact.Not because of athletic ability but by experience and court savvy.

Lakers need the experience on the roster in order to help the young core develop. Half the roster has under 3 years experience. They are in position to either make the leap to being a solid professional or be just another guy. Having Mozgov, Deng, MWP and Brewer on the roster to show them how a pro does it is significant in how they develop IMO.

When the time is right I have no issue with trading or stretching either. Just do not think it is this off-season. Young core is still a couple years away from being a cohesive unit living up to its potential and skillset. Having these Championship level pros at every practice and game has value in the development.

IMO Mozgov will start and play 20-24mpg as Zubac develops and alternative small ball lineups limit his mpg. Deng will likely be the back up SF with some mins at PF on occasion. I am expecting to be improved from last season but within reason.

My preference this season is to draft #2 and #28. Keep the roster relatively intact (including Moz, Deng and Brewer) and play out the year. Re-evaluate this time next year. Seems the trades, waives and possible financial stretches make more sense when you have a better understanding of the value of your players.

Do we really know the value of the long list of young players?
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

More like: Make Moz/Deng unemployed again

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't understand the math in regards to taking in Pau ($16.2 million) + Spurs first then doing Mozgov ($48 million) + Spurs first to Brooklyn for Lopez.

If the Nets could tolerate having both Lopez and Gasol on the roster, it would be better for them to deal directly with the Spurs and do Gasol + Spurs first. Then the Nets could come back in summer 2018 and rent their cap space again when Pau's contract ends.

Your proposal has the Lakers getting what you termed standard market price compensation to take Pau's $16.2 million and then getting a substantial discount to standard market price to send Mozgov's $48 million to the Nets.

Last edited by Bard207 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

^ Yeah, one would think.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
pio2u wrote:

More like: Make Moz/Deng unemployed again
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't understand the math in regards to taking in Pau ($16.2 million) + Spurs first then doing Mozgov ($48 million) + Spurs first to Brooklyn for Lopez.

If the Nets could tolerate having both Lopez and Gasol on the roster, it would be better for them to deal directly with the Spurs and do Gasol + Spurs first. Then the Nets could come back in summer 2018 and rent their cap space again when Pau's contract ends.

Your proposal has the Lakers getting what you termed standard market price compensation to take Pau's $16.2 million and then getting a substantial discount to standard market price to send Mozgov's $48 million to the Nets.

No you're looking at things in a vacuum. There are bigger things in play. For example, while Lakers and nets both have the cap space to absorb gasol, only the Lakers are in a true rebuilding effort with ancillary assets to grow. Brooklyn has no draft picks and therefore using their only available resource to punt again will get their gm fired and fansbase upset. Lakers can punt because at least we have rookies that we can watch grow and we already have a built in expectation to be a major player in FA next year with very specific players, eg PG13. The nets would rather get players that can at least avoid the lottery so they pick won't hurt as much next year.

But your are right in that they might be able to sweeten the pot more for San Antonio by say not requiring a first or maybe taking back green or someone else.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Make Moz/Deng Great Again Thread

crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No you're looking at things in a vacuum. There are bigger things in play. For example, while Lakers and nets both have the cap space to absorb gasol, only the Lakers are in a true rebuilding effort with ancillary assets to grow. Brooklyn has no draft picks and therefore using their only available resource to punt again will get their gm fired and fansbase upset. Lakers can punt because at least we have rookies that we can watch grow and we already have a built in expectation to be a major player in FA next year with very specific players, eg PG13. The nets would rather get players that can at least avoid the lottery so they pick won't hurt as much next year.

But your are right in that they might be able to sweeten the pot more for San Antonio by say not requiring a first or maybe taking back green or someone else.

Mozgov doesn't fit at all with what the Nets are doing, so they would have minimal interest in having him on their team salary for multiple years unless they are properly compensated for that. Since they are poor in regards to future draft picks, they need to maximize the returns when renting out their cap space. Take Gasol's one year + compensation and then they can come back again and try to do something similar in summer 2018 and then again in summer 2019. Your suggestion of them taking Mozgov's multiple years for the same compensation as what the Lakers get for taking Gasol's one year isn't logical.

Neither Gasol or Mozgov is going to be a key piece on a championship team and it is an extreme longshot for either the Lakers or Spurs to be playing in June over the remaining duration of Mozgov's contract (3 years).

I have read enough on Nets specific web sites to see that their fans know exactly where they are at. GM Marks has only been there since Feb 2016 and brought several people over from the Spurs with him. If the offers are the same from the Nets and Lakers, I would expect the Nets to get the deal over the Lakers. The Spurs FO has no linkage to the Lakers FO and being in the same conference as San Antonio would also be a negative.

In regards to doing right by Gasol, the Spurs could condition the deal that Pau would be given a buyout waiver in September so he could go to the team of his choice on a Vet minimum salary.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Such an optimistic time in Lakerdom, and then I have to read these two's names while I sip my coffee. Why?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: