Clarkson or Nwaba - Who would be a better asset for the Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Clarkson or Nwaba - Who would be a better asset for the Lakers?

Who would be a better asset for the Lakers going forward:

1. Clarkson if he could learn to play halfway decent defense

2. Nwaba if he learns to be a halfway decent 3 point shooter?

I know some of you will smirk, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bench mob backcourt of Ennis and either Nwaba or Clarkson depending on who can more quickly become a more complete and productive player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

Clarkson.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

Nwaba with some offense easily and cheaper too

By "asset" do you mean someone to trade away or someone who can help the team win?

Last edited by defense on Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Clarkson and its not even close.

Nwaba is so limited offensively, doesn't bring the passing, or ability to create his own shot.

I like Nwaba as a poor mans Tony Allen, but even with a 3pt shot, doesn't bring the overall arsenal that JC does.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Nwaba with some offense easily and cheaper too

By "asset" do you mean someone to trade away or someone who can help the team win?

I meant to help the team win...
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Nwaba will probably be the better fit. If he can be an athletic wing who can be a stopper and knock down the 3, then his value is probably greater than Clarksons. Undersized shooting guards who are high volume shooters are easier to come by. Defensive stoppers (if he can grow into that) help win championships.

This also takes into account that we have Russell and Ball.
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Halfway decent defense is better than halfway decent 3-point shooting in this case. David Nwaba with halfway-decent shooting would probably get him around 33% 3PT%...which wouldn't qualify him as a good 3 and D player.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

This almost assumes that Ennis would have the backup PG spot locked up if he comes back, which is very much in the air at this point. But if he does, I'd rather play Clarkson and Nwaba together if I was Luke. Clarkson played much better as the primary ball handler once Lou was traded, so I think he could handle the backup PG spot. Ennis doesn't offer much defensively. But at least Clarkson and Nwaba have potential.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
This almost assumes that Ennis would have the backup PG spot locked up if he comes back, which is very much in the air at this point. But if he does, I'd rather play Clarkson and Nwaba together if I was Luke. Clarkson played much better as the primary ball handler once Lou was traded, so I think he could handle the backup PG spot. Ennis doesn't offer much defensively. But at least Clarkson and Nwaba have potential.

Yeah, I agree with you....if Clarkson can revert back to Rookie PG Clarkson and improve his 3 and defense.

Maybe Ennis can still be the third string PG...I like that he passes and can also hit the three....and he plays decent defense.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

By "asset," do you mean someone who can help the team win or someone who can help sell tickets and thus produce revenue for the Lakers?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry but Nwaba get massively overrated here. I mean, there's no guarantee the guy even makes the roster next year. He was a 10-day contract from the D-league for Christ sakes, and everyone has him as part of our "young core" and factoring him in to long term plans.

The guy plays good D, I'll give him that, but brings little to nothing else on the court. If he can develop a reliable 3 point shot, then awesome, but like most guys who fit the description of "if he could only shoot he'd be good", I'll believe it when I see it.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
I'm sorry but Nwaba get massively overrated here. I mean, there's no guarantee the guy even makes the roster next year. He was a 10-day contract from the D-league for Christ sakes, and everyone has him as part of our "young core" and factoring him in to long term plans.

The guy plays good D, I'll give him that, but brings little to nothing else on the court. If he can develop a reliable 3 point shot, then awesome, but like most guys who fit the description of "if he could only shoot he'd be good", I'll believe it when I see it.

I expect him to make next year's roster, not only because I think they like his potential and character (which they've emphasized as a significant area for the players they bring in), but also because he won't cost much.

As far as him being "overrated" by people here, maybe I'm not active enough but I haven't seen anyone group him in with the young core, so that sounds like an exaggeration on your part. But regardless, Nwaba is still only 24. It's not like he's incapable of getting better. How many players can you even name on the roster, especially among the young core, who doesn't have at least one gaping hole in their game? Beggers can't be choosers, so the Lakers can't afford to stick their noses in the air at a player like Nwaba and say 'Meh, we can do better.' They were one of the worst defensive teams in the league this season. They need to add players who are willing to go all out on that end, and Nwaba does exactly that (in addition to being cheap).

Last edited by Judah on Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

you have to really have issues with Clarkson to even consider Nwaba....Clarkson is currently a superior player and is a much bigger trade asset.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

I expect him to make next year's roster, not only because I think they like his potential and overall character (which they've emphasized as a significant area for the players they bring in), but also because he won't cost much.

As far as him being "overrated" by people here, maybe I'm not active enough but I haven't seen anyone group him in with the young core, so that sounds like an exaggeration on your part. But regardless, Nwaba is still only 24. It's not like he's incapable of getting better. How many players can you even name on the roster, especially among the young core, who doesn't have at least one gaping hole in their game? Beggers can't be choosers, so the Lakers can't afford to stick their noses in the air at a player like Nwaba and say 'Meh, we can do better.' They were one of the worst defensive teams in the league this season. They need to add players who are willing to go all out on that end, and Nwaba does exactly that (in addition to being cheap).

End of the bench defense minded player with good athleticism on a cheap deal... I like him a lot in that role too. If nothing else, he's going to bring that defensive intensity to practice which alone would be a big help so long as the other guys pick up on that same energy.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clarkson or Nwaba - Who would be a better asset for the Lakers?

Lakerpark wrote:
Who would be a better asset for the Lakers going forward:

1. Clarkson if he could learn to play halfway decent defense

2. Nwaba if he learns to be a halfway decent 3 point shooter?

I know some of you will smirk, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bench mob backcourt of Ennis and either Nwaba or Clarkson depending on who can more quickly become a more complete and productive player.

This is a good question

Clarkson is the better "asset" meaning that you could get more for him in a trade to another team (at this point I absolutely think we should do that)

Nwaba helps this team in was Jordan Clarkson does not.....I value defense a lot more then some I guess and Nwaba has that ability. He is far less expensive to as we go forward trying to find a way to fit free agent "blue chipper"s onto the teams cap

I am a big fan of Nwaba myself.....
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Judah wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

I expect him to make next year's roster, not only because I think they like his potential and overall character (which they've emphasized as a significant area for the players they bring in), but also because he won't cost much.

End of the bench defense minded player with good athleticism on a cheap deal... I like him a lot in that role too. If nothing else, he's going to bring that defensive intensity to practice which alone would be a big help so long as the other guys pick up on that same energy.

Ok, perhaps I was a bit harsh in my OP. I agree with everything you said wrt him being an end of the bench defender with some athleticism on a cheap deal. That's never a bad thing to have on a team.

I just don't see how Nwaba>Clarkson is a serious argument, and speaks to what I said about Nwaba being overrated here.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

Easily Clarkson
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

Nwaba because he plays D. IMO his jumper is not broken, he is just not confident with it and would prefer to pass, very similar to Nance in that way.

But he can finish at the rim and he can guard multiple positions. He reminds me of a guard version of Justise Winslow and that is a good thing to have on a team.

Clarkson is a black hole on offense, still not a good 3 point shooter and just as bad on D as he was 3 years ago.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

I can't believe this is a serious question, I love what Nawaba can bring to the team, but it's Clarkson by a mile.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Judah wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Ok, perhaps I was a bit harsh in my OP. I agree with everything you said wrt him being an end of the bench defender with some athleticism on a cheap deal. That's never a bad thing to have on a team.

I just don't see how Nwaba>Clarkson is a serious argument, and speaks to what I said about Nwaba being overrated here.

Oh.. yeah in terms of he vs JC, MILES apart.

JC is a substantially better player and asset.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

Bingo. I really can't believe this question is even raised. Clarkson is part of the young core we're building on. It's much easier to learn how to play D than becoming a good shooter. Nwaba is a nice story and maybe he sticks around and maybe he doesn't.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Nwaba because he plays D. IMO his jumper is not broken, he is just not confident with it and would prefer to pass, very similar to Nance in that way.

But he can finish at the rim and he can guard multiple positions. He reminds me of a guard version of Justise Winslow and that is a good thing to have on a team.

Clarkson is a black hole on offense, still not a good 3 point shooter and just as bad on D as he was 3 years ago.

I prefer Nwaba too and I agree about him as a versatile defender because of his length and athleticism. Nwaba definitely has the physical tools to be a Tony Allen in this league. His potential impact defensively will be much better than Clarkson offensive impact. For a role player, Nwaba is a better asset to me. Clarkson do have have a value as a scorer off the bench. In essence Clarkson is the better player but Nwaba is the better role player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

I like Nwaba a lot and believe that he is an asset. However there is a reason that he was in the D-League.
Clarkson is more polished at this point.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
you have to really have issues with Clarkson to even consider Nwaba....Clarkson is currently a superior player and is a much bigger trade asset.
He's only that much superior by people who are say clarkson super fans and/or offensive fans way above defense.

i like JC a lot and think he could end up an allstar player if he could put it all together. But the same goes for nwaba. the difference is. to be realistic i dont think jc will become an allstar nor do i think nwaba will pan all the way out with a complete game all around.

but lets say for fun if they both had a complete game. I would choose nwaba over clarkson only for two reasons. he has very large hands which does a lot for you in the nba. and he's a bigger/stronger guy. This means he's less likely to be effected by contact and more likely to administer pain when he goes to the rack. it also means he can guard bigger/stronger players at his positions.

clarkson right now has an incomplete game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: