Byron Scott continues his rant against the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

I will say that if what Byron said about Russell is true, it goes with what we've seen from him on the court. He's not always there. He has a chillax attitude. He should grow out of it, but there is a motor and work ethic problem early on in his career.

I think Magic/Pelinka are on it, and you saw when they took over it was better stuff from D
Lo. With us likely adding Ball or Fultz in the draft, Russell can no longer chill. He has to step up and show he's going to play at a high level every night with a high work ethic else there's an extremely talented point guard willing to take over the franchise and what was originally your spot.

Competition will be good for Russ. JC is a good driver but not really the same level talent or real competition longterm. When the Lakers draft Ball or Fultz (90% chance for Ball) then I think the pressure will shift on Russ to play hard every night. He also has a contract extension possibly availble to him at season's end. I see him having a very good year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lol. PnP supporting Byron. Who would have thunk it?

Wow I always thought PnP was MJST
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I will say that if what Byron said about Russell is true, it goes with what we've seen from him on the court. He's not always there. He has a chillax attitude. He should grow out of it, but there is a motor and work ethic problem early on in his career.

I think Magic/Pelinka are on it, and you saw when they took over it was better stuff from D
Lo. With us likely adding Ball or Fultz in the draft, Russell can no longer chill. He has to step up and show he's going to play at a high level every night with a high work ethic else there's an extremely talented point guard willing to take over the franchise and what was originally your spot.

Competition will be good for Russ. JC is a good driver but not really the same level talent or real competition longterm. When the Lakers draft Ball or Fultz (90% chance for Ball) then I think the pressure will shift on Russ to play hard every night. He also has a contract extension possibly availble to him at season's end. I see him having a very good year.

Don't want to make this a DLO thread, but agree. People forget he just turned 21. In his "floor years" he's averaging 16/5/4...this is his FLOOR.

Competition (and I think someone like Ball as a teammate) will bring out the best in him, b/c now, some of that lead guard role will be handed off to Ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

There was a way for Byron to stick around if he showed he could work with the young players, and embraced the modern NBA (remember the "we don't shoot 3s" and "we want to foul a lot" cringe worthy statements)?

He decided not to so he made his own bed. As Wolf said, it was a 2 year guaranteed deal. They probably could have axed him after year 1 but why?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

I do think that Jim/Mitch made promises to him and didnt keep them but he also was a victim of his own success as the Master Tank General
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

Eh who care Byron is gone as is jim and Mitch that chapter is closed.. for someone who is suppose to be such a Alpha male Byron whines too much .
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
Eh who care Byron is gone as is jim and Mitch that chapter is closed.. for someone who is suppose to be such a Alpha male Byron whines too much .

always saw Byron as a Faux Alpha male
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Don't want to make this a DLO thread, but agree. People forget he just turned 21. In his "floor years" he's averaging 16/5/4...this is his FLOOR.

Competition (and I think someone like Ball as a teammate) will bring out the best in him, b/c now, some of that lead guard role will be handed off to Ball.

in less than 30 mpg
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes, it's all DLO's fault. Falling right into Byron's trap of blaming everyone but himself.

There are coaches who are part of rebuilds (notably Brett Brown) who were given far worse circumstances yet are still here today b/c they're not petty, have some Xs and Os, and are competent.

Byron proved he is not an NBA coach anymore. Even guys like MDA/Brown who flamed out in LA have been given second chances b/c they are not petty. Pettiness and a lack of self-examination are major red flags.

yinoma2001 wrote:
You read that interview and you're a team's GM, there is 0% chance you hire him. Trashing his former employers, blaming a then 19-20 year old for all the troubles, saying that he wouldn't do anything different.

He's never coaching in the NBA again. He dug his own grave there.

I agree with him being done as a NBA coach. I never had the impression that he networked very well with those outside the Lakers sphere of influence.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject:

After reading that article, I really feel the narrative on Scott has influenced what we believe as opposed to the truth that is Byron Scott's coaching. I don't think he's as bad as the narrative suggests. However, I also do not believe is a good coach. A college level coach might be his best position, but even that is something I question, wondering if he can indeed connect with an even younger group of kids compared to what he had as the Lakers coach.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:

That's what happens when you know all of your successes are due to someone else. You over compensate and become that yippy Chihuahua making all that ruckus while the big dogs just watch and yawn.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:

Lol your probably right
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ingle wrote:
By what measure was Byron the worst coach in NBA history? That's blasphemy, no coach on earth could have led his Laker teams to a winning record, a broken down Kobe with a bunch of 19 year olds and journeymen, that's not a roster built for winning. I need Byron needs more credit for the fact Kobe didn't go postal and strangle one of his teammates. Instead he sent Kobe out with dignity, respect for that.

I don't think Byron's some genius Xs & Os coach, nor is he a shrewd manager of egos. However he is just a straight up no nonsense guy who respects hard work and tells it like it is. There's definitely more than an element of truth in what he said, Russell for all his talents has some massive red flags in terms of his mentality. Being 19 isn't an excuse when other 19 year olds in the league are just keeping their mouth shut and playing ball, instead of starting TMZ drama, getting into passive aggressive feuds with the coach and displaying CLEAR differences in effort levels between games. Compare that with Julius and it's night and day.

Yes, it's all DLO's fault. Falling right into Byron's trap of blaming everyone but himself.

I must read it again because I don't remember Byron blaming any other player. If I'm not wrong he even praised the way Randle handled demotion and Clarkson work ethic.

I remember Byron thrashing Mitch/Jim ethic and Dlo's work ethic, not making any player a scapegoat for his failures.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ingle wrote:
By what measure was Byron the worst coach in NBA history? That's blasphemy, no coach on earth could have led his Laker teams to a winning record, a broken down Kobe with a bunch of 19 year olds and journeymen, that's not a roster built for winning. I need Byron needs more credit for the fact Kobe didn't go postal and strangle one of his teammates. Instead he sent Kobe out with dignity, respect for that.

I don't think Byron's some genius Xs & Os coach, nor is he a shrewd manager of egos. However he is just a straight up no nonsense guy who respects hard work and tells it like it is. There's definitely more than an element of truth in what he said, Russell for all his talents has some massive red flags in terms of his mentality. Being 19 isn't an excuse when other 19 year olds in the league are just keeping their mouth shut and playing ball, instead of starting TMZ drama, getting into passive aggressive feuds with the coach and displaying CLEAR differences in effort levels between games. Compare that with Julius and it's night and day.

I must read it again because I don't remember Byron blaming any other player. If I'm not wrong he even praised the way Randle handled demotion and Clarkson work ethic.

I remember Byron thrashing Mitch/Jim ethic and Dlo's work ethic, not making any player a scapegoat for his failures.

Whatever floats your boat. He praise Tairk Black, the same guy he refused to play and put in the doghouse. What lying hypocrite he is.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

I'm just gonna leave this here

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAevULUXcAENcxK.jpg
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There are coaches who are part of rebuilds (notably Brett Brown) who were given far worse circumstances yet are still here today b/c they're not petty, have some Xs and Os, and are competent.

Byron proved he is not an NBA coach anymore. Even guys like MDA/Brown who flamed out in LA have been given second chances b/c they are not petty. Pettiness and a lack of self-examination are major red flags.

yinoma2001 wrote:
You read that interview and you're a team's GM, there is 0% chance you hire him. Trashing his former employers, blaming a then 19-20 year old for all the troubles, saying that he wouldn't do anything different.

I agree with him being done as a NBA coach. I never had the impression that he networked very well with those outside the Lakers sphere of influence.

On the other hand "Flush it Down Brown" is title bound
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:
While his numbers are encouraging, I did not see any stride that makes me fee more enthusiastic than you. Off hand still non existent, going right is still on my imagination, getting stronger and more agile (no improvement here), shooting % remains the same (FT% though is much improved).

We have seen what work ethic did to Kobe throughout his career and he had more natural talent than DLo. If that's a blue print to being one of the great then that's should be the goal. I can't believe the you can not outwork me mentality that Mamba exemplified is not infectious around here.

You can't believe that the player with perhaps the most legendary work ethic in NBA history isn't the norm around here? Doesn't the fact that it's legendary speak to its rarity?

And yeah, I know that Russell is and/or hasn't improved in the following areas:

-Unathletic
-Has no off hand
-Not stronger or more agile
-Can't go right
-Poor work ethic
-Too soft to set screens (my personal favorite)

And managed to put up better numbers than he did in his rookie year and better numbers than all of the other kids with their superior work ethic & athleticism. Incredible how he sucks in so many ways and yet he outproduces the others by so many objective metrics.

Work ethic is up to the player. If the player love the game and has the passion then things like this should not even be brought up in the first place. In essence, he already have that within him. It's like posting here, we love putting time, effort , share opinion and learn from each other and we are not even getting paid (maybe some though). Why? because it's for the love of the game. If you don't love what you do, it's hard to be motivated especially for the long run.

Now going back to DLo, I do have superlatives for him.

- Fundamentally sound
- Very good passer
- Elite vision
- Elite handle
- very good post player
- good shooter(potentially elite)
- swagger mentality

You have a high expectation on him but you like giving him passes for his work ethic because of his good numbers for his age. Kobe had better numbers in a contender team and despite coming with all the natural talent, he still put an impeccable work ethic. This is what separated him from his peers (TMac, Vince, Allen etc). If DLo wants to be great then do what Kobe did, breath basketball. If that's too high and too much sacrifice then you already put a limitation . Let me put it this way, I can pretty much say all the cliche about hard work but at the end of the day it's on DLo if he wants to put an extra mile.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ingle wrote:

He's the coach, he's the authority figure, what's he meant to do walk in the locker room, blame himself, lay down and let the inmates run the asylum?

Byron isn't perfect and if I was the GM of a team looking for a head coach he wouldn't be on my list of candidates to interview. But his insights on D'Angelo are spot on. I still believe in Russell since he's so talented, but he's his own biggest obstacle

Can't argue with the last couple of comments. While I was here arguing that they should never consider Byron, DLO is his own biggest obstacle. It wasn't just a Byron issue, it was an organizational issue. I posted it here as did others but we were shouted down by those who didn't want to believe it. Of course Byron didn't help at all, expecting DLO to handle it on his own. Another abject failure as a head coach.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

-Unathletic
-Has no off hand
-Can't go right
-Poor work ethic
-Too soft to set screens

- Fundamentally sound
- Very good passer
- Elite vision
- Elite handle
- very good post player
- swagger mentality

I agree about most itens listed, but not all.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
CRoost wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

-Unathletic
-Has no off hand
-Can't go right
-Poor work ethic
-Too soft to set screens

- Fundamentally sound
- Very good passer
- Elite vision
- Elite handle
- very good post player
- swagger mentality

I agree about most itens listed, but not all.

Respect your opinion bruh. Everyone can see things differently. What can you say about Magic saying DLo can be special player IF he pushes himself.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

Respect your opinion bruh. Everyone can see things differently. What can you say about Magic saying DLo can be special player IF he pushes himself.

I agree, he has the talent.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
CRoost wrote:

I agree, he has the talent.

It's not the talent, it's the comment IF he pushes himself. It seems to me that Byron comment about his work ethic has some truth to it because why would Magic has to say IF he pushes himself. So that part is still in question I suppose.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Byron sucked as a coach. Instead of taking his severance and quietly laying low and making an appearance when the Lakers are back on top he keeps burning those bridges. Only way they might let him back in the building is if Magic distracts Jeannie and sneaks him into the building....
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Karl Malone had a 'high' opinion of Byron's networking skills :
Quote:
But you know what, that is what this league is about - it's how much (rear) you kiss. You get a nice little comfortable job for the rest of your life. I doubt if I go out like that.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

The Smush Parker of coaches
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: