Byron Scott continues his rant against the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Wow it used to be the dark agez around here. I'm so glad that era is over and done with.

Between BS, Jim and Mitch i'm happy we have moved on. I've been harsh at times with this new Lakers regime but its better than the last one.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I mean, even if he feels that way, it's not smart to smear mud on the grounds of the palace on his way out. Especially when the palace houses his very last handful of supporters.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
nash wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Respect your opinion bruh. Everyone can see things differently. What can you say about Magic saying DLo can be special player IF he pushes himself.

I agree, he has the talent.

It's not the talent, it's the comment IF he pushes himself. It seems to me that Byron comment about his work ethic has some truth to it because why would Magic has to say IF he pushes himself. So that part is still in question I suppose.

Byron's been in Magic's ears, no doubt about that. And you're making way too big a deal out of this "IF" thing. You can use IF for all our young players. They all can be super stars IF they push themselves. But it's D'Lo, so you pay special attention to it.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
Well... let's be honest: he's telling the truth. He WAS a scapegoat. The plan for his whole tenure was to stealth tank: talk a lot of crap about competing and playoffs, and fill up the whole team with retreads, CBA-level players, and 19 year olds. Then he got let go and people blamed him for everything.

Just a season later, Luke also had issues with Randle & Russell (& benched Russell as well), and only won a few more games, arguably due to the continued (incremental) maturation of the youngins, and with another #2 pick. Yet B Scott is reviled & Luke is adored. Laker fans need to thank him for his service--falling on the sword--and perhaps LISTEN to what he's saying.

If you read the article, he's intimating--rather--yelling--that Russell has been a problem. Not necessarily a Code Red--but he's saying there's some issues there. And he's saying Russell may be the odd man out. He coached him and had first hand experience with him. And he's a Laker who's coached & played with Hall of Famers. His opinion needs to be respected.

I don't think it's time to give up on Russell yet. But sounds like he has some maturity issues that he needs to get out of ASAP. If he's not what everyone thought he would be, and can't be at least a near-All-Star level player, it may be time to get something for him while his perceived upside is still high. Just saying...

I agree the fans and Lakers used him as an escape goat. The players are the problem.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
escape goat

Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Quote:
escape goat

Zubac staying asleep to watch games, and Byron Scott being an escape goat. I love this forum
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

(bleep) Byron Scott.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
nash wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Respect your opinion bruh. Everyone can see things differently. What can you say about Magic saying DLo can be special player IF he pushes himself.

I agree, he has the talent.

It's not the talent, it's the comment IF he pushes himself. It seems to me that Byron comment about his work ethic has some truth to it because why would Magic has to say IF he pushes himself. So that part is still in question I suppose.

Byron's been in Magic's ears, no doubt about that. And you're making way too big a deal out of this "IF" thing. You can use IF for all our young players. They all can be super stars IF they push themselves. But it's D'Lo, so you pay special attention to it.

But no one used "if" for all our young players. Except you, of course.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I mean, even if he feels that way, it's not smart to smear mud on the grounds of the palace on his way out. Especially when the palace houses his very last handful of supporters.

Very poetic of you and I 100% percent agree...

Literally the only place Byron could ever turn to for support is here and instead he's just selling his loyalty to ESPN for some airtime.

Hey Byron, what's it like to know you're never going to get another job?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

I guess the Lakers won't be retiring his number or building him a statue any time soon.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Literally the only place Byron could ever turn to for support is here and instead he's just selling his loyalty to ESPN for some airtime.

I think that's his ploy. He wants another job, so he feels the need to prove it wasn't his fault for being fired. The problem is, is that he got fired from all of his previous positions and he is being counterintuitive by not accepting accountability for his own mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. It's no big deal, but it is when you don't learn from them. Having accountability for yourself is an extremely honorable thing to do and can attract suitors to see you are trying. Unfortunately, he lacks this and he thinks it's him against the NBA/fans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
2019 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I think that's his ploy. He wants another job, so he feels the need to prove it wasn't his fault for being fired. The problem is, is that he got fired from all of his previous positions and he is being counterintuitive by not accepting accountability for his own mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. It's no big deal, but it is when you don't learn from them. Having accountability for yourself is an extremely honorable thing to do and can attract suitors to see you are trying. Unfortunately, he lacks this and he thinks it's him against the NBA/fans.

MDA became a 76ers assistant to Brown who has one of the worst winning %s.

M.Brown is an assistant to the Warriors.

Byron would need to be an assistant again but his pride won't let that happen.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Quote:
escape goat

Wasn't it space ghost?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Man up Byron !
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
He made a few things clear about why Dlo didn't have the confidence of two straight coaching staffs, including Luke a players coach.

“I’m still a big fan of Julius Randle,” Scott said. “He is a terrific young man and is really mature for his age. I think he wants to be great.”

Scott has different feelings about Russell. He said the then-rookie’s demotion was partly because he frequently arrived to the Lakers’ facility only minutes before practice started.

“I don’t know if his work ethic has gotten any better. Some of the people I’ve talked to in the organization said that it hasn’t,” Scott said of Russell.

It sucks because this kind of interview is not helping a bit to bring Dlo value up. The last thing you want is to let people outside the organization to take notice of the poor work ethic of a player.

Well, Scott is not part of the organization anymore.

Once again, I blame this situation on Jim Buss. He is the one who hired a ton of bad fits. Scott, Brown and D'Antoni were all terrible fits for us. Add Howard and Nash to that mix and you have yourself a real problem.

I was not a fan of Scott as our coach, but he did what he was supposed to do and was given very little to work with. Then he was blamed and dumped. If I got treated that way, I would be pissed too. In fact, my guess is that this revolving door and the way employees were being treated was one of the things that really ate at Jeannie.

Remember too, that Jim is the one that fired almost everyone employed by the Lakers during that strike season. Jim had a history of treating his employees as less than family. Dude was a colossal horses rear. I would say ANYBODY who worked for the Lakers during his reign, who came away with a bad attitude about us, were the ones who are right and the whole blame for all of this is Jim. Thank god Jeannie got rid of him.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
He made a few things clear about why Dlo didn't have the confidence of two straight coaching staffs, including Luke a players coach.

“I’m still a big fan of Julius Randle,” Scott said. “He is a terrific young man and is really mature for his age. I think he wants to be great.”

Scott has different feelings about Russell. He said the then-rookie’s demotion was partly because he frequently arrived to the Lakers’ facility only minutes before practice started.

“I don’t know if his work ethic has gotten any better. Some of the people I’ve talked to in the organization said that it hasn’t,” Scott said of Russell.

It sucks because this kind of interview is not helping a bit to bring Dlo value up. The last thing you want is to let people outside the organization to take notice of the poor work ethic of a player.

But it also points out the pettiness of Byron. Really? He still wants to crap on DLO? I mean how long is he going to carry this nonsense.

I like how Luke dealt with DLO. Didn't throw him under the bus repeatedly in the media like Byron did. Took care of business inside the lockerroom, sat his butt on the bench, and then he seemed to get the message.

Truth is, you have NO idea how Luke really feels about DLO. Luke is a classy guy and would not throw DLO under the bus in public. What he tells Magic and Rob is not what he tells us. Maybe he likes him a ton, maybe he doesn't. Luke is fairly guarded in what he says about his players in public, both positively and negatively. He is no Phil Jackson. He is a what's in house, stays in house kind of guy.

The ONLY thing we will ever hear about any of these guys is if they get traded or not. If the Lakers keep any player, it is because they either like him or can't move him. If the Lakers keep DLO it will be because they like him and not because they can't move him, since we know he can be moved.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Dlo under attack this week...can't be a good thing

Yeah, if you're the Lakers, let's trash his value publicly and then demand PG13 in a trade for him.

First off, it is only a bunch of Laker fans trashing him, do you really think upset Laker fans carry ANY WEIGHT?? LOL, the ONLY fans who are more over reactive and less logical are UCLA Bruin fans.

I wouldn't worry about a bunch of Laker fans (bleep) and moaning effecting the value of anyone on our team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:

But it also points out the pettiness of Byron. Really? He still wants to crap on DLO? I mean how long is he going to carry this nonsense.

I like how Luke dealt with DLO. Didn't throw him under the bus repeatedly in the media like Byron did. Took care of business inside the lockerroom, sat his butt on the bench, and then he seemed to get the message.

Truth is, you have NO idea how Luke really feels about DLO. Luke is a classy guy and would not throw DLO under the bus in public. What he tells Magic and Rob is not what he tells us. Maybe he likes him a ton, maybe he doesn't. Luke is fairly guarded in what he says about his players in public, both positively and negatively. He is no Phil Jackson. He is a what's in house, stays in house kind of guy.

The ONLY thing we will ever hear about any of these guys is if they get traded or not. If the Lakers keep any player, it is because they either like him or can't move him. If the Lakers keep DLO it will be because they like him and not because they can't move him, since we know he can be moved.

That's my point. Luke's self esteem and maturity allows him to keep that in house. Byron throughout his entire coaching career has blamed others for his demise. Often quite publicly. Dude burns bridges.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Yeah, if you're the Lakers, let's trash his value publicly and then demand PG13 in a trade for him.

First off, it is only a bunch of Laker fans trashing him, do you really think upset Laker fans carry ANY WEIGHT?? LOL, the ONLY fans who are more over reactive and less logical are UCLA Bruin fans.

I wouldn't worry about a bunch of Laker fans (bleep) and moaning effecting the value of anyone on our team.

You vastly underrate the value of message boards like this. Most competent player agencies have employees whose job it is to search through sites like LG and judge the pulse of FA bases.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

You vastly underrate the value of message boards like this. Most competent player agencies have employees whose job it is to search through sites like LG and judge the pulse of FA bases.

if this is true, I'll take the credit for keeping DLO/Ingram as Lakers. You're Welcome
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Scott served his purpose, he was an old school Laker great from the 1980's, someone Kobe would respect, even with the team in decline. Scott didn't have a healthy Kobe and lots of solid veteran help. As the team went through the intended/unintended tank of acquiring players in the draft and letting very young 19-21 year olds learn how to play the game, against maybe 18-20 average to very good teams, we lost a lot of games. We held off the pain of a couple of very bad trades for Nash and Howard, and the so far unproductive free agent signings of Mozgov and Deng. Scott didn't win here, but with the same GM and mistakes of the past few years. Greg Popovich would not have won 50 games a year with this squad.

The biggest problem I think is that Scott was not the kind of player-friendly teacher of young players, which Luke early in his tenure appears to be able to do. If the team had kept Lou Williams, and not shut down the vets, we probably could have won another 5-7 games, and then we would have lost our pick this year, which is now a #2. We played great the first 20 games going 10-10 even with the very young team. Luke I think understood the bigger picture and knew the organization was taking a risk, trying to make sure we could pick up another high draft lottery pick. But also see that Luke got his team to win the last 5 games letting the young guys play. Most all of the young players especially seem happier with Luke, despite another losing season.

So yeah, I feel sorry for Scott because he didn't get to coach here when we had the players to win titles. Just like I felt bad we didn't give the coaching job to Brian Shaw when Phil Jackson retired. Some of the things are Scott's fault, some are not. If he wants another job, he probably has to be an assistant again. Look at Brown, he was pretty terrible when he was here, now he is the interim head coach and may get a ring with the Warriors.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

don't know of any other board like this in the NBA...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

This is exactly why I expect Clarkson/Mozgov/#28 for Brook Lopez to happen!

Oh, and I am with Danzag...(bleep) Byron Scott. He needs to just shut his piehole.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That's my point. Luke's self esteem and maturity allows him to keep that in house. Byron throughout his entire coaching career has blamed others for his demise. Often quite publicly. Dude burns bridges.

This hits on my biggest beef with Byron Scott. Blaming the team he's responsible for, and doing so publicly, and looking for the most inexperienced members of the team to heap blame when the microphones are turned on is the absolute opposite of leadership. This is the reason I consider Luke's opinion worth listening to, while Byron Scott has zero credibility.
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

I never wanted him as a coach, nor do I think he's a good coach, but I also doubt he's lying. D'lo probably does have issues and the front office probably did make promises to him that they went back on. He was a scapegoat and I think the negative fan opinion of him is exaggerated cause his coaching issues are compounded with losses, but the losses were unavoidable given our roster being built around aging vets or rookies. People even used Kobe as a scapegoat that year, blaming the losses on him shooting too much and acting like we had a capable roster if he hadn't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: