Kobe evaluating players & plans to workout w/ Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Isn't the Kobe the anti-team basketball? I'm sure he's "hyper-competitive" but his me-first mentality would not go over well with what we're trying to build here. Kobe is Kobe. His iso's worked because of his godly athleticism which no one on the Lakers have. We're teaching our young guys to GET OPEN and PASS the ball.

Sorry, I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Forgive me.

Sarcasm? I'm sure you've seen Kobe play and you know his style. Imagine if everyone on this team starts to think shoot first, we'd be in a lot of trouble.

You must agree with Lavar Ball that the Warriors would be better with Lonzo (in a straight swap with Steph), and UCLA would be worse because Steph would "shoot them out of the game."

5 rings should end this discussion, but Kobe's best two teammates (Shaq/Gasol) never had the same level of success (individual or team-wise) with other teammates. Shaq won a chip with Wade. With Kobe, it would have been ANOTHER 3peat.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Josh Jackson punches Kobe in the face during the 1v1, and Kobe will be like, "draft THAT guy".

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Isn't the Kobe the anti-team basketball? I'm sure he's "hyper-competitive" but his me-first mentality would not go over well with what we're trying to build here. Kobe is Kobe. His iso's worked because of his godly athleticism which no one on the Lakers have. We're teaching our young guys to GET OPEN and PASS the ball.

Sarcasm? I'm sure you've seen Kobe play and you know his style. Imagine if everyone on this team starts to think shoot first, we'd be in a lot of trouble.

You do realize that Kobe won't be playing right? You really believe that Kobe will teach these players to be selfish?

Well that's who he was as a player so why would I expect anything different from him as a mentor? Kobe was great because of his godly athleticism and you cannot teach athleticism. For a teacher/mentor, I'd rather have someone smart/crafty like Kidd. DLo isn't going turn into Kobe one day and start driving to the hoop and reverse dunk on people. He's going to have to use his brain to get by in this league.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

^^^Absolutely. 5 rings ends that debate. I would be ecstatic if any of our young players even came close to the "selfish scorer" Kobe was. You act like Kobe's playing style prevented him from winning.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

Kobe is top 30 all time in assists, which is crazy since apparently he doesn't pass the ball
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
^^^Absolutely. 5 rings ends that debate. I would be ecstatic if any of our young players even came close to the "selfish scorer" Kobe was. You act like Kobe's playing style prevented him from winning.

Kobe's selfish a lot....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

Never underestimate the idiocy of posters here to fail in understanding the intent of a thread. Sad.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe evaluating players & plans to workout w/ Lakers

pio2u wrote:
Magic Johnson said Kobe Bryant is helping the Lakers evaluate their own players

"He is also still planning to work out with their young core."
Quote:
How badly the Los Angeles Lakers want Kobe Bryant to help their organization is hardly a secret. Lakers President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Rob Pelinka have both spoken about it multiple times, although Bryant has always said in interviews he’s much more open to a behind-the-scenes role.

That’s fine with Johnson, although the type of backstage assistance Bryant is giving the Lakers might be a little bit unexpected.

"We're happy that Kobe wants to be a part of the Lakers organization,” Johnson said during an interview on ESPN Los Angeles. “Right now we're just picking his brain about the players, because Kobe played with a lot of the guys that we have. We're picking his brain about some of the things that he sees that maybe we could do.”

Ehh...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

kobe evaluate to much
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

You do realize that Kobe won't be playing right? You really believe that Kobe will teach these players to be selfish?

Well that's who he was as a player so why would I expect anything different from him as a mentor? Kobe was great because of his godly athleticism and you cannot teach athleticism. For a teacher/mentor, I'd rather have someone smart/crafty like Kidd. DLo isn't going turn into Kobe one day and start driving to the hoop and reverse dunk on people. He's going to have to use his brain to get by in this league.

Kobe has worked with numerous players outside his position, most notable Hakeem. That doesn't mean Hakeem was teaching him how to be a big man. He was teaching him foot work. Kobe is one of the most fundamentally sound players ever. You don't think he is going to help them develop as players to pick up good habits? Instead you think he'll teach them his philosophy on how each should try to score the ball?

Last edited by Mamba Mentality on Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Wait, wasn't PG13 supposed to work with Kobe as well this offseason according to his interview on Kimmel? Kobe should have it at his home court so the young core AND PG13 can be there at the same time.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

^^^That would be awesome. Although I doubt he invites everybody to his home.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

> kobe most fundamentally sound player of all time shouldn't evaluate our players because he shots to much

ok
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
^^^That would be awesome. Although I doubt he invites everybody to his home.

Haha I know. Indy would probably blow a gasket if PG13 worked out at the Lakers facility with Kobe and the rest of the squad.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Kobe has worked with numerous players outside his position, most notable Hakeem. That doesn't mean Hakeem was teaching him how to be a big man. He was teaching him foot work. Kobe is one of the most fundamentally sound players ever. You don't think he is going to help them develop as players to pick up good habits? Instead you think he'll teach them his philosophy on how each should try to score the ball?

Kobe was already looking great as a rookie. I don't know if what Hakeem taught him helped at all.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

If he's evaluating players then he needs to get Young off the team.

We're about winning now, right? I don't want a single player on the team that celebrates when we're losing and he hits a 3. Or if we win a meaningless game he celebrates.

Get off my team. Time to start winning. Starts with a culture change in FO (DONE) and players (TBD)
Laker Dude
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

But Lavar said "my boy dont need no advice from no Kobe Bryant"
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Isn't the Kobe the anti-team basketball? I'm sure he's "hyper-competitive" but his me-first mentality would not go over well with what we're trying to build here. Kobe is Kobe. His iso's worked because of his godly athleticism which no one on the Lakers have. We're teaching our young guys to GET OPEN and PASS the ball, play TEAM basketball. Kobe could go to the Knicks and teach Melo how to play iso better.

Kobe doesn't understand basketball or unselfish play
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

Laker Dude wrote:
It's pretty clear to me that Lavar did not take any advice from his English teachers.

encina1 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Isn't the Kobe the anti-team basketball? I'm sure he's "hyper-competitive" but his me-first mentality would not go over well with what we're trying to build here. Kobe is Kobe. His iso's worked because of his godly athleticism which no one on the Lakers have. We're teaching our young guys to GET OPEN and PASS the ball, play TEAM basketball. Kobe could go to the Knicks and teach Melo how to play iso better.

Kobe doesn't understand basketball or unselfish play

You're all getting trolled
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Laker Dude wrote:

Imagine Lonzo (and Lavar) walking into Lonzo's first workout for the Lakers and the only person in the gym is Kobe:

Kobe: "Let's go. Your ball. Up to 11 straight up. You lose, we're drafting Jackson."

Lavar: "Son, get out of the way. I got this."

Lonzo steps aside, pulls out his phone and starts texting: "Danny? Can I come work out for you guys?"
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe evaluating players & plans to workout w/ Lakers

justsomelakerfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Magic Johnson said Kobe Bryant is helping the Lakers evaluate their own players

"He is also still planning to work out with their young core."
Quote:
How badly the Los Angeles Lakers want Kobe Bryant to help their organization is hardly a secret. Lakers President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Rob Pelinka have both spoken about it multiple times, although Bryant has always said in interviews he’s much more open to a behind-the-scenes role.

That’s fine with Johnson, although the type of backstage assistance Bryant is giving the Lakers might be a little bit unexpected.

"We're happy that Kobe wants to be a part of the Lakers organization,” Johnson said during an interview on ESPN Los Angeles. “Right now we're just picking his brain about the players, because Kobe played with a lot of the guys that we have. We're picking his brain about some of the things that he sees that maybe we could do.”

Ehh...

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/24/15688686/la-lakers-magic-johnson-kobe-bryant-brandon-ingram-workouts-espn-radio-interview
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Wait, wasn't PG13 supposed to work with Kobe as well this offseason according to his interview on Kimmel? Kobe should have it at his home court so the young core AND PG13 can be there at the same time.

sssshhhhh!
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Kobe was already looking great as a rookie. I don't know if what Hakeem taught him helped at all.

Whoa are you insinuating that Kobe never used his brain and that he just relied on athleticism?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Dope.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:

Kobe is the 2nd greatest shooting guard of all time. Some around here would even argue he's better than MJ. That playing style suites only 2 guys in the history of the game, and they are both retired.

Emulate Kobe and it could be a disaster. Heck, even Kobe can't emulate himself. The shell of himself tried to emulate his prime days in the last two years, and it was ugly... until the 60 pt game against Utah.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: