If Fultz, Ball, Russell, Wall, Irving, Lillard, Westbrook, Harden, and Curry were all in the same draft...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: If Fultz, Ball, Russell, Wall, Irving, Lillard, Westbrook, Harden, and Curry were all in the same draft...

...what order would they be drafted in?

Note: This does not take into account their play in the NBA, only what they were the day before they were drafted.

I think it is helpful to directly compare the top PG prospects in this draft to the last several top PG prospects. Otherwise it seems people are going to end up in the territory of abstract arguments that make little sense when comparing Fultz and Ball. If you think highly of Fox or Smith, feel free to include them too.

Me personally:

1. Wall
2. Fultz
3. Irving
4. Ball
5. Russell
6. Harden
7. Westbrook
8. Curry
9. Lillard

Now, admittedly, I am not the best scout. So I'm looking forward to see how more informed LGers might order these guys.

(Mods feel free to move this to the draft section...wasn't sure since this topic might be relevant on a more universal basis)
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Wall, Irving, Fultz, Ball, Russell, Westbrook, Curry, Lillard, Harden.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Interesting. But wouldn't Harden be over Curry since he was over Curry when they were drafted? Or was Curry clearly better than Harden in 09?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Interesting. But wouldn't Harden be over Curry since he was over Curry when they were drafted? Or was Curry clearly better than Harden in 09?

DX had Harden 2-3, in the months leading up to the draft and Curry 6-7.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Sorry, Haren always goes last in my book.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Sorry, Haren always goes last in my book.

Based on NBA play or College pre draft play?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

1. Kyrie Irving - Didn't play a lot at Duke. Devastating shooter, elite ball-handling, elite athlete. 56% 2 point. 46% 3point.
2. John Wall - One up on athleticism and size to Irving. Didn't have the jumpshot.
3. Markelle Fultz - A notch below Irving athletically, but 19 and limited weaknesses.
4. Damian Lillard - Below Fultz because he was 22 from a small school.
5. D'Angelo Russell - Just not the "jump-shooter" the above 4 guys are.
6. Lonzo Ball - The experiment. Legit PG size. Analytics effect.
7. Russell Westbrook - The project SG turned PG. Elite motor/athleticism. Finisher. Signs of a jumpshot.
8. Stephen Curry - SG turned PG at his last year at Davidson. By far the smallest guy. Concerns about finishing. Best shooter.
9. James Harden - SG, out of shape by 20lbs, but insanely high FTr.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
1. Kyrie Irving - Didn't play a lot at Duke. Devastating shooter, elite ball-handling, elite athlete. 56% 2 point. 46% 3point.
2. John Wall - One up on athleticism and size to Irving. Didn't have the jumpshot.
3. Markelle Fultz - A notch below Irving athletically, but 19 and limited weaknesses.
7. Russell Westbrook - The project SG turned PG. Elite motor/athleticism. Finisher. Signs of a jumpshot.
8. Stephen Curry - SG turned PG at his last year at Davidson. By far the smallest guy. Concerns about finishing. Best shooter.

Sweet this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: If Fultz, Ball, Russell, Wall, Irving, Lillard, Westbrook, Harden, and Curry were all in the same draft...

Don Draper wrote:
...what order would they be drafted in?

Note: This does not take into account their play in the NBA, only what they were the day before they were drafted.

I think it is helpful to directly compare the top PG prospects in this draft to the last several top PG prospects. Otherwise it seems people are going to end up in the territory of abstract arguments that make little sense when comparing Fultz and Ball. If you think highly of Fox or Smith, feel free to include them too.

Me personally:

1. Wall
2. Fultz
3. Irving
4. Ball
5. Russell
6. Harden
7. Westbrook
8. Curry
9. Lillard

Now, admittedly, I am not the best scout. So I'm looking forward to see how more informed LGers might order these guys.

(Mods feel free to move this to the draft section...wasn't sure since this topic might be relevant on a more universal basis)

i would draft wall most likely and be iffy about his jumper. Or i might draft ball anyway because i saw him uplift a team
Lonzo Ball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Ball

Westbrook

Harden
Russell
Irving
Curry
Wall
Lillard
Fultz
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "not the jump shooter" the above 4 guys are for Russell? I'm a bit confused.

And, Smith has a high FT rate, is an athlete in the upper tier (or possibly #1/2 behind only Wall... maybe) of any of these guys & shoots 50% in 2-pointers. I think its a mistake to not consider him in this caliber of guards. He's that caliber of talent, age-wise.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

For me, I'd say (all at the time they were drafted):

1. Wall. Elite size & athleticism, great court vision, no health issues. Only issue is his jumper.
2. Fultz. Elite size, super polished skills offensively, perhaps an underrated passer. No health concerns. Only concern is defense.
3. Kyrie. Special handle & offense. Durability concerns.
4. Russell. Questions about whether he can play PG, and his athleticism. Age is a plus, and outside shooting talent.
5. Lillard. Complete offensive player, but will it translate from small school? Age is a bit of a negative (22)
6. Westbrook. Ridiculous, ridiculous athlete. Can he play PG? Also, questions about whether he can shoot.
7. Curry. Sick, sick shooter. NBA bloodlines. Can he play PG? Frail frame. Can he withstand contact in the NBA?
8. Ball - mowed through college with up-tempo offense with talented shooters. But can he create shots for himself in the NBA? Is he even a PG? Or a "system" guy?
9. Harden. Herky-jerky scorer. Old school game. How well will it translate to the NBA?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: